Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to make a $5.00 ball picker upper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to make a $5.00 ball picker upper
    Posted: 09/30/2010 at 11:27pm

I thought I would post a quick, easy and cheap ball picker upper that I made. You will need the following items.

Fluorescent bulb light cover (4ft)

Elastic hair braid band

Scissors

Exacto Knife

Cut one end of the tube at a slight angle with the scissors. Then take your exacto knife with a sharp point and bore a hole on both sides of the tube. Make sure you DO NOT put the holes in the center of the tube. Put the holes close to one edge because if you don’t the balls cant pass past the hair band. Then tie a knot in one end of the hair band then thread it through to the other hole. Now tie a knot on the other end so it can not slip out. Their, you are done. The main thing I can stress is do not make the holes to big or get the holes in the wrong spot. The ball should be able to pass the band with ease. I havent counted how many this will hold but I would guess 20 or so. This is a great tool when doing service drills, multi ball, or using a robot.

I bought the tube at Lowe’s hardware for less than $4.00 and the elastic hair bands I got at The Dollar Tree for $1.00 for 100 of them.

Here is what the tubes look like.

Post any questions if you like….

pic below added by fatt; the ones above got lost

Founding member and club director of: Davidson County Table Tennis Club, NC.

www.davidsoncountytabletennisclub.com

CLUB SPONSORS: Joola, Giant Dragon, Zero Pong, Newgy, mypingpongbuddy
Sponsored Links

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 12:00am
That's a great idea, I have always liked sticking it to the man by creating my own cheaper versions of stuff TT companies expect us to by Smile
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 12:11am

I might try this design next. You could make this out of PVC pipe and small bungy cords.

RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

That's a great idea, I have always liked sticking it to the man by creating my own cheaper versions of stuff TT companies expect us to by Smile

What? You mean someone already came up with this design? Dang, now I cant make my millions off you EJ'S..... Wink Cry
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:59am
ya, we have few these tubes in our club for students picking the balls.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:25am
I like the basket design better... with the rubberbands on the bottom. 
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:02pm
I have one that only cost $3 by using those mailer tube. Both ends comes with plastic cap and I just cut out one end and removed the other end. Works beautifully. 
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 1:41pm
Good post, my club has been using that design for more than 2 years :)
Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 2:04pm
That is so cool. with your permission I will add a link to this thread in the Cheapo club thread.
Thanks again,
fatt.
bOOm_cORNr_sHOt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bOOm_cORNr_sHOt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 3:19pm
Any links on how to make the basket version with rubber bands?

Edited by bOOm_cORNr_sHOt - 10/01/2010 at 3:22pm
Acoustic L-Sized FL

Acuda S3 2.0 FH & BH
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2010 at 4:33pm
I think the net is the best.  It's too slow to pick up individual balls, even with a tube.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2010 at 8:06pm
Anyone make one yet?
joebulatao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 3:42pm
check out the World's Best Picker Upper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKuK7lVsWc

Edited by joebulatao - 12/21/2010 at 4:05pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 4:35pm
  the picture above shows the previous model of Joe's. Watch the video for a while to see the new model :)
Genesis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 4:57pm
awesome... i think i have some badminton rackets down my basement... will try making one.

T05 | AMULTART.SI-TBZLC.ST-PHOTINO.ST | T05
The 'TRINITY'
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 5:34pm
You could also use Pringles cans and rubber bands..
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 1:29am
Hey guys and gals I just thought about a better ball picker.

Since squat training is so important one could incorporate training in ball picking by getting down with a straight torso to work out squat exercices:

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/squats.jpg

With a free hand and a bucket it's even cheaper and it's so much better for your game.

That was the joke of the day thank you Cool.
ZeDuBreju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeDuBreju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 7:11pm
Hi! I´m brazilian and I've made one picker upper by using pvc tubes and a net that seems a basketball net.
ZeDuBreju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeDuBreju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 7:14pm
Hi! This design is mine. I've made it by using pvc tubes. The net I've myself made the net too, it's easy, if you want me to teach you...
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 10:50pm
I remember that in many small clubs in China, they use old plastic cans (orange juice gallons), attach them to wooden sticks, cut out the bottom, and strap bungee/elastic cord throughout the bottom so when they press down, the balls are forced into the can but are not able to fall out. 
Rutis
FH: H3
BH: T64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 10:57pm
A commercial version of The World's Best Picker Upper will be available at the Nationals in Las Vegas.
Be the first in your city (or State) to own one.
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by joebulatao joebulatao wrote:

A commercial version of The World's Best Picker Upper will be available at the Nationals in Las Vegas.
Be the first in your city (or State) to own one.
Ok, are you going to tell us how to get one without going to the Nationals? Wink
Price??

Edited by RJTT - 11/22/2010 at 11:10pm

Founding member and club director of: Davidson County Table Tennis Club, NC.

www.davidsoncountytabletennisclub.com

CLUB SPONSORS: Joola, Giant Dragon, Zero Pong, Newgy, mypingpongbuddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2010 at 11:56pm
I will answer all your questions if you send them to my email address.     [email protected]

Thanks for asking RJTT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 12:17am

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 12:23am
Originally posted by joebulatao joebulatao wrote:

Hey Joe,  it was nice meeting you at the Nationals.

John
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2010 at 12:53am
Yes John, it is nice to see you at the Nationals.We might meet again at the Open if you are going. 
Say hi to Al for me if you see him.
joe
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2013 at 12:59am
The idea for the pingpongbuddy is really cool! however, it's kind of pricey to me. I saw one in a commercial that I think might have been a promo for a cell phone, where a chinese player was using all kinds of different things to play, and ended up putting the phone together while playing. They had an empty Water Jug with rubber bands across the bottom and could pick up a bunch of balls at once. Anyone have a link to that video? 

metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2013 at 1:40am
This might not be the best, but it is my design.  I made it with a removeable handle, which also rotates almost 180 degrees.  After picking up the balls, it can be placed on the table for service or you can pour the balls into a basket or robot feeder.

Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2013 at 2:03am
The pingpongbuddy is definately cool, but you can't serve directly out of the pouch and it can't stand up without leaning it on a wall or support.  I actually completed a few designs before settling on the final design, I did make a very high end one, but it is too heavy and I haven't had the time to modify the design.  The high end version was designed from the ground up, no existing boxes were used and balls can be picked up on two of the vertical surfaces (ends) and on the bottom - balls against a wall. 
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2013 at 9:53am
I was interested in the mypingpongbuddy.. until I saw the price.

Hope he is selling them by the truckload, but for me, the price is crazy when there are so many ez ways to design and build one for much less.

Looks like that will be my weekend project soon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic