Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

After the french forum the "Emotion wave" on mytt? 
an emotionally vague thread, until we precise the feel?
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 11:25pm
Got my wood today.  I asked for the lightest they had and they have surprised me with one that weighs.. 74g!  That's a bit scary but I glued on my current rubbers and I can't use it yet because I have a tournament tomorrow.   The setup weighed about 169 g or so, which is still within my tolerance range in my signature.  My active setup, for comparision with the same rubbers, weights 181g.

PS: By the way, for the lovers of the Chinese vs. European rubbers debate, I haven't used Chinese rubbers on my forehand in a year.  I put Chinese rubbers (Juic 999 Turbo) on my forehand again and my stroke has not changed.  The ball is slower and has more spin given my stroke, but that is that.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 1:47am
Light and quick close to the table setup! nice.
I myself received a Rhyzm red max and a moon black 39deg, both gently used; still waiting for my emotions; I should get them by the end of this week.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 5:38pm
I received 2 out of the 4 blades I ordered, hoping to pick a perfect matching pair and resell the other 2.

Those 2 are both 78 grams and the skull test gives the exact same sound; they are a little lighter than what I expected (85g as advertised) but I am not good enough to be so picky about weight; also I like to wrap the handle and that adds 4 grams...

Can't wait the other 2 before choosing my pair (the 2 I do not keep are already traded). I received an almost instant answer from Tim saying the other 2 are in a different package. I believe the stamp he uses allows a max weight of 2 blades and I bet it is less expensive to ship 2 packages of 2 blades each than one parcel of 4.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2013 at 11:49pm
Will have more comments on this blade tomorrow.  All I can say is whatever the results in our league tomorrow, playing with this blade feels AWESOME, to put it mildly.

By the way, if anyone believes that blades don't affect throw/trajectory, this is a high throw blade.  Anything that can make a low throw rubber high throw deserves that description.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/28/2013 at 11:58pm
Cybershape Carbon
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 12:15am
How come these new blades are much lighter than mine ? Few monthes ago, lightest available were 82-83 gr. Now it turns to be 74-78gr. Cannot be same construction. Hope it plays as good thow.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 12:26am
I'll shoot it all and add macro pictures of the edges tomorrow; in the same style as those I made this morning.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Jolan Jolan wrote:

How come these new blades are much lighter than mine ? Few monthes ago, lightest available were 82-83 gr. Now it turns to be 74-78gr. Cannot be same construction. Hope it plays as good thow.

My thoughts exactly.
Cybershape Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 8:56am
The new Stiga blades are quite light too.  Must be the new gluing process that they make to keepthe weight down for the new generation of rubbers.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:54am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

The new Stiga blades are quite light too.  Must be the new gluing process that they make to keepthe weight down for the new generation of rubbers.
I think they need to be careful not to make the blades too head heavy.  I don't like heavy blades, but I hate the current generation of heavy rubbers even more for making blades head heavy.  So if you have a light blade with heavy rubbers, you are potentially entering the worst of all worlds.
Cybershape Carbon
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:54am

Jolan might be right about an eventual new construction; in the image above taken from Joola's YT video I see 5+2 = 7 plies; on the pictures below, taken this morning, I see 3 wood + 2 carbon...

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:06am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Jolan might be right about an eventual new construction; in the image above taken from Joola's YT video I see 5+2 = 7 plies; on the pictures below, taken this morning, I see 3 wood + 2 carbon...
Does that man they got rid of the Hinoki outer ply?! Shocked
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:08am
Looks to me the 2, and 6 play is Ayous now...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I think they need to be careful not to make the blades too head heavy.  I don't like heavy blades, but I hate the current generation of heavy rubbers even more for making blades head heavy.  So if you have a light blade with heavy rubbers, you are potentially entering the worst of all worlds.

Hold the racket close to the neck helps balance the head heavy racket.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:19am

you are implying there are #1 and #7 plies; those seem like thin air to me.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:28am

you are implying there are #1 and #7 plies; those seem like thin air to me.

Yes, I can see them.  Not that thin.  But it's kind of blend-in with the color\texture of the next ply wood.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:38am
I would have thought it is easier to watch the difference between 2 consecutive plies glued with their grain orientaion 90 deg apart (forgot the exact terminology).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:55am

I would have thought it is easier to watch the difference between 2 consecutive plies glued with their grain orientaion 90 deg apart (forgot the exact terminology).
If you don't like the way the (possibly) new construction plays, you have a buyer ;).
Cybershape Carbon
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:07am
I see 5 plies (edit: of wood) altogether, particularly on the handle shot where plies 1 and 2 (from bottom to top) before the carbon are distinct.

Edited by Olio - 10/29/2013 at 11:39am
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:07am
This is a picture taken from one of my 86gr sample :

I can't really see a difference. On yours, there are 5w + 2c too. Maybe the new batches are made with a lighter ayous core.

Edited by Jolan - 10/29/2013 at 11:09am
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:12am

Crossed?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Hold the racket close to the neck helps balance the head heavy racket.
I like to use my wrists.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by HighArc HighArc wrote:

Anyways, the Joola Rossi Emotion to me seems to be a blade that so far didn't get the attention it deserves.
I still believe: Was this blade made by Butterfly and would have a 175 USD price tag, there would be many more people using it.

Playing with it, I could see exactly what he meant.

Cybershape Carbon
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:20pm
I didn't like ths blade much.
slow and very soft feel.
not much power, light weight.

Edited by puppy412 - 10/29/2013 at 2:23pm
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:37pm
First the good things, then the bad things:

Good things:
I played a tournament last weekend and played really well (with the Rossi Emotion blade that is).

I had three matches.

First one against a player rated significantly lower than me. I hardly made any mistakes, was in total control of the game and destroyed him utterly. I almost felt sorry for him.

Second one against our current number 2 U18 player. I should usually loose this match, not badly, but still I should loose (our number 1 U18 can compete with the best U18 players in Europe (maybe not the very best), our number 2 is significantly less good).
Anyways, I won the match closely 4:3 with 11:9 in the seventh set. I already had 2 match points in the sixth set. I have the impression that I actually won this match because of the blade change:
I was far better at returning serves short and tight, and I was far better at returning the occasional fast serve into my backhand with decent quality (I can't remember a single error but many direct points. Both of these things (keeping returns that are intended to be short short and returning fast serves with whatever spin into my backhand are usually week points in my game). I believe that this is due to the softer touch and the slightly smaller speed of the Emotion as compared to the Viscaria). As I consequence, I could force my game on the opponent. The two things that are till slightly worse with the Emotion are keeping spinny opening loops low (as of now mine are loaded with spin but are sometimes too high such that they can be counter-looped easily) and the counter-looping game far of the table. For counter-looping and hard loops in general, there is nothing that can match the ALC blades for me, in particular the Viscaria, but then counter-looping and hard loops are only such a small fraction of the strokes that you have to play in table tennis, far overrated...

Third match was against one of our former national team player. I'm not sure who in this forum actually met him once in a US tournament (I think it was Baal), but someone mentioned his name some time ago. I lost 4:1. Every game was tight but it was clear at every point during the match the my changes of winning were very slim at best.
However, again I played really well and realized that it was easier for me to serve and return in such a way that I could actually play my game instead of being forced to play the opponents game (which usually happens to me against someone like him).

I think that I could play really well because I essentially didn't have anything to loose (except in the first match, but this was not up to discussion). Therefore I felt free and comfortable and didn't think about the different feel of the blade as compared to the Butterfly ALC blades that I'm used to. I still thing that the Emotion and its feels is better for me, but changing from ALC to Emotion is fairly more significant than changing rubbers on the same blade and can be confusing when I focus on it.

Bad things:
In the very first match, I graced the table ever so slightly with my hand when trying to loop a very short half-long serve. This usually never happens to me. It was at this moment when I let the racket slip off and it directly flew into an edge at the nearby wall. Not fully broken, but broken enough to call it broken and switch to the 2nd blade (Rossi Emotion 86gr. with Evo MX-P on FH and Evo EL-P on BH (instead of T05 and T64). The Evo's felt actually even better than the Tenergy's on the Emotion blade.
Anyways, this doesn't really matter because at the end of the day someone stole my racket case (with both blades in it, the 2 Tenergy's and 2 Evo's very new...). Nobody ever steals stuff in Switzerland, so I was particularly unlucky.

Now I'm a bit unsure what I should do. I have league matches the coming weekend, one training tomorrow and one on Thursday. My favorite shop is nearby and I can drive there in 30 minutes. However, they will only get another Rossi Emotion FL blade on Thursday or Friday (I bought the two that they had in stock...).
It seems like either don't train and wait for a new blade or train and use the Viscaria again...

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 3:20pm
better play than not play. play the Viscaria; with no apology to it because it does not acknowledge apologies; because it's mainly a piece of wood. too bad if after all you decide it's better; nobody knows if your passage to the emotion actually made something happen deep inside your inner game to fix a slight pb when you play the Viscaria; maybe you will find out that the way you played the emotion now makes you play better with the Viscaria; or it will confirm your decision to visit the emotion was a very good one and you will impatiently wait for it to become available at the shop. who knows? the only thing about we are all sure is better play than not play.
Now if you decide to come back asap to the emotion after another training with the Viscaria it will say something big about both blades.

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 4:31pm

better play than not play. play the Viscaria; with no apology to it because it does not acknowledge apologies; because it's mainly a piece of wood. too bad if after all you decide it's better; nobody knows if your passage to the emotion actually made something happen deep inside your inner game to fix a slight pb when you play the Viscaria; maybe you will find out that the way you played the emotion now makes you play better with the Viscaria; or it will confirm your decision to visit the emotion was a very good one and you will impatiently wait for it to become available at the shop. who knows? the only thing about we are all sure is better play than not play.
Now if you decide to come back asap to the emotion after another training with the Viscaria it will say something big about both blades.

Not too sure if it's better for me to train twice with the Viscaria if I intend to play with a new Emotion blade next weekend though. I've played and trained often enough that two more trainings are not going to make any difference whatsoever.
Thinking about equipment in our league match, where I should win 2 our of 3 matches, will make a difference I fear.

With respect to your last statement:
I'm often thrilled when I play with new equipment and write positive things. But with the Rossi Emotion the impression is consistent (which is rarely the case). There are things that I clearly prefer, and things that I like less.
Overall, the Rossi Emotion is clearly and doubtlessly on of the best blades for me I've ever played with, if not the best.
For me, the fact that I even consider keep playing with the Rossi Emotion after using it for a few weeks says something big about it. The fact that I just ordered another one (will get it this Friday or Saturday) says even more.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:15pm
I had a random thought based on what you've written so far in this thread: in Europe where people play inter club matches, people play for a team; they have an individual ranking but they do not play for themselves only like in USA. I think this is helping players to choose the right equipment for them as they think further than themselves and their own game; for example I imagine if the right setup for my game is an emotion with 2.0 rhyzm x2  (for whatever reasons, it is just an example), my teammates would bash me and be angry at me if I was playing a Schlager with Calibra LT max on both sides. In other words, playing for a team is putting pressure on the players to get the right material corresponding to what they do best and that protects them from EJing.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Now I'm a bit unsure what I should do. I have league matches the coming weekend, one training tomorrow and one on Thursday. My favorite shop is nearby and I can drive there in 30 minutes. However, they will only get another Rossi Emotion FL blade on Thursday or Friday (I bought the two that they had in stock...).
It seems like either don't train and wait for a new blade or train and use the Viscaria again...

Actually, you have no guarantee that the new ones will play like the ones you had.  And if they don't actually get the new ones in time at your regular shop, you will be doubly screwed, with no training and still having to use the Viscaria.  On the other hand, you are a good player, you will probably adjust either way.  One or two days off training won't mess you up.  You will also quickly adjust to the blade you used for years.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2013 at 12:29am
My setup with rhyzm max and nimbus soft max weighs 170g including handle wrap (4) and edge tape (2). On the robot the nimbus soft does not feel mushy in quick rallying mode and that's a relief; when I get 3 feet away it's another story but at least I am consistent. I will switch to nimbus regular in a while on that side. The Rhyzm feels really good; that's a winner for me. The balance between the blade's softness and the sponge hardness and the speed they offer seem to be ideal for my level.
Despite its lightness I do not feel lacking power with the setup and the ball goes real fast on power drives and loops.
I have said such things with other setups and actual performance at the club ended mediocre so I do not want to sing eureka too early but it's promising.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic