Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jpen RPB Clan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jpen RPB Clan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jpen RPB Clan
    Posted: 12/26/2008 at 7:11am
Who uses Jpen with RPB? No need to be very strict here, so i'm using the loose definition of "Jpen" as any penhold style grip with a cork stub for the finger. So Rutis J, and modified cpen's would qualify.

A picture of your setup would be nice.
Sponsored Links

LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2008 at 10:18am
I use a LKT glass power as a test racket. It is not my usual blade though, do I still qualify? Smile
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Who uses Jpen with RPB? No need to be very strict here, so i'm using the loose definition of "Jpen" as any penhold style grip with a cork stub for the finger. So Rutis J, and modified cpen's would qualify.

A picture of your setup would be nice.

Here is my TSP Dynam.

CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2008 at 7:26pm
Yep Lilfish you qualify :)

Here's my racket:

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2008 at 9:41pm
Addoydude, what happened to the handle of your blade ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Virtuoso uni crwi C-pen
Acuda P1

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2008 at 4:17am
I just glued a wine cork to fatten up the handle a little , to make it about as wide as a cpen because I find the jpen handle too narrow. The wide handle is easier to hold and not loose in my grip.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2008 at 6:11am
I see you've made that blade for twiddling, addoydude.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2008 at 2:48pm
My racket is not too much to look at. However, it is only fair that I show you mine when you showed me your racket Big%20smile

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2008 at 6:46pm
genomicsknight and lilfish, what are the weights of your rackets? i'm curious because i have a hinoki jpen i'm thinking i would use for rpb but it's 92 grams bare so the full setup may get heavy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2008 at 9:07pm

genomicsknight and lilfish, what are the weights of your rackets? i'm curious because i have a hinoki jpen i'm thinking i would use for rpb but it's 92 grams bare so the full setup may get heavy.
My JPen racket is 160g which is on the light side. My regular CPen is 180g and I have no problem with it using RPB. An average cut sheet is 40g so I would guess your setup would still be less than 180g, quite manageable. It took me weeks just to get used to the extra weight when I added the backhand rubber so it might feel weird when you first get started.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2008 at 11:00pm

The total weight for the whole setup is 168g.  I believe the bare blade is about 88g, but I am not sure.  I'll weigh it next time when I change or reglue the rubbers.

92g is not too bad.  After you take off part of the corksheet on the back and shave the neck area a bit, you can easy take off another 5g or more.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2009 at 10:13pm
I converted my hinoki jpen to RPB. Did not shave off the cork sheet in the back, just put rubber outside the cork area. Had to cut the rubber to the curved shape of the cork, so no logo is showing (the rubber is actually Sriver EL 1.9). I know this is not tournament legal.

I also put 2 screws on the end of the cork handle to offset the head heaviness. The screws weigh a total of 6 grams. Total racket weight is 159grams. Not bad. Still feels heavier when swinging than my Violin R-H setup which has a full rubber on the RPB side and weighs the exactly the same weight.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2009 at 10:23pm
159g is not bad at all.  Which Hinoki Jpen did you convert?
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2009 at 1:16am
It's a Butterfly Cypress Alpha.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2009 at 1:25am
By not removing at least part of the cork sheet you don't have much margin for errors. I have both a Senkoh-R and a Senkoh-10 and the cock sheets cover higher than my middle finger. I would guess it should be similar for your blade. When I use RPB some strokes hit very close to my fingers, especially the close to the net wrist flick. One of the reasons I bought the LKT blade was to avoid removing the cock sheet from the Senkoh's; I was afraid I would damage the blades. Let me know how your setup play out, I'm interested to know if RPB is do-able without removing the cock sheet.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2009 at 1:31am
My fingers extend up to the end of the cork sheet, or slightly beyond if fully extended.

The black paint was a chore to remove. I sanded it off except the part close to the cork as you can see. The problem is that the sanded off black paint fine particles make the wood black (dirty) so it's hard to completely remove it. Had to take several steps: sanding, wiping the black dust with damp cloth, letting dry, then repeat until the dust is not black anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2009 at 2:01am
I see. If I were you I would leave the black paint and just glue the rubber over it. If you are not going to sand off the cock sheet then you don't need to get rid of the paint to get a fully level surface.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2009 at 2:34am
too late :) actually the black paint is a bit too smooth and slippery; the glue doesn't stick as well to it as to bare wood. that's why i sanded it off.
Anfi View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2021 at 10:44pm
im turn to RPB jpen last year in quarantine time since june 2020 (Still in quarantine). Im sponsored by Tmount table tennis, a brand from south korea. Im using the blade kim taek soo prime and rubbers Ace 2 Max spin at forehand and ace 1 max speed in backhand, but im testing dignics 05 now. later i will show picture
Now:Butterfly Haruvatart-S
FH:Butterfly Tenergy 05

Old Blade:Butterfly Cypress-S
FH:Tibhar Nianmor
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2021 at 2:25am
Hi Genomicsknight, do you remove the cork sheet on the BH side ?
Virtuoso uni crwi C-pen
Acuda P1

mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2021 at 3:00pm
There are double-sided JPen blades, such as Butterfly's Garaydia Revoler-R (which I'm selling by the way), that are specifically made with RPB in mind.

Qiu Dang used to play with one of those before switching to CPen.

Edited by mischasln - 04/17/2021 at 3:15pm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 2:51am
Oh I forgot that (because I am using C-pen now), in fact I still have Nittaku Violin J-RH and J-PH. However there is still some cork sheet about 2 cm wide from the handle. Do you remove it ?
How do you find J-pen RPB ? I am thinking to give it a try.
Virtuoso uni crwi C-pen
Acuda P1

mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 5:52am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

However there is still some cork sheet about 2 cm wide from the handle. Do you remove it ?

If you have used a 1-ply J-Pen blade so far, then you probably want to remove the entire cork sheet which I also did. However, since the Garaydia Revolver-R is only 8.2 mm in thickness, I'd recommend to at least sanding the edges for more grip comfort.

Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

How do you find J-pen RPB ? I am thinking to give it a try.

Although I play exclusively traditional, I'd say playing J-Pen RPB (blocking & looping) is more comfortable due to the fact that the cork part for the index finger gives more stability and is less prone to errors. However, if you want to play on both sides but using TPB instead of RPB for blocking, I think C-Pen is the way to go. In my opinion, the thumb position is easier to handle on a C-Pen blade for beginners when switching from forehand to TPB.

I hope this helps. :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic