Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Killerspins' Robert Blackwell Jr. topples Board.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killerspins' Robert Blackwell Jr. topples Board.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 1:11am
Sure.  The USATT does a poor job of promoting table tennis.  IMO, it is the nature of the beast.  The USATT is almost entirely a non-profit, volunteer organization.  Serious promotion of the sport in the normal commercial sense pretty much has to happen outside the USATT IMO.  The USATT simply has too many other tasks and responsibilities and too little money. The yearly budget is a bit over $1M.  And that's pretty much about equal to zero in terms of a budget for promotion - as though they could justify spending even a large fraction of their annual budget on national promotion. Name one other national organizing sport body that does a great job of promoting their sport and my bet is that for the few that you might be able to point to, all have lots more resources due to already higher participation levels for other reasons.

I'm inclined to think that table tennis is best promoted by leagues and independent ventures like SpinNY, Killerspin, ICC, Hardbat Classic, Table Tennis Nation and International Classic Ping Pong. 
Killerspin supposedly has annual revenues on the order of $2.5-5M a year.  The ICC has sunk millions into their community center.  I don't know how much of that is for table tennis though.  But considering all the international coaches that we see being brought in and the size of the program, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume $1M - and that program is local.  I can only guess what it cost to open and operate SpinNY.  But it seems likely that they must bring in something north or $1M a year to keep their doors open.  And again, they are local.  The Hardbat Classic took much more than $1M to put on.  I'd bet the same is true of the International Classic Ping Pong tournament. 

All of those organizations have larger budgets than the USATT and none have all the responsibilities. 

So if the USATT could just begin to show real progress in the formation of a national league system, I'd be pretty happy.

I think doing stuff like selling USATT branded water bottles and so forth is just a distraction.  I don't see how it can have any significant effect.

The problem with paying folks like Blackwell to promote table tennis is one of the inherent conflict of interest.  After all, didn't Blackwell/Killerspin sue the USATT?  If so, he's not my first choice as an employee.  Also, his company did a crap job, IMO, of creating and supplying hardbats for the Hardbat Classic, he is reported to be on record saying that he hates hardbat, but there he is - right in the middle of it.  Seems like a bad mix to me. 

IMO, Killerspin should keep doing what they do.  I love the fact that they have sponsored players and that they get table tennis on ESPN from time to time.  The USATT should work with Killerspin and visa-versa.  But I'm not at all convinced that there should be more to the relationship than that.  The same goes for the other organizations.  The USATT should be there to grease the skids and help see that projects can proceed by supporting the various endeavors.  But trying to turn what is essentially a volunteer organization into a business seems fraught with problems to me.

You might want to go online and look at the USATT budget and their performance plan.  Digest it for a while.  Look at things like the total salaries paid and where they get income.  Talk to a few people and discover how much is done through volunteer or the grossly underpaid efforts of people who love the sport.  Understand that many table tennis players are - quite frankly - cheap.

Edited by wturber - 02/13/2011 at 1:13am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 12:09pm
Jay,

I have been saying for years that there are three EXTREMELY IMPORTANT things USATT should be concentrating on

1) promoting TT on local club level. As it stands now some clubs I know do not want to pay the affiliation fee because they are volunteer organizations and also they do not see any advantage they get out of it
2) promote TT at school level
3) promote TT at college level. Does USATT do anything to try and help colleges to run clubs/leagues? If table tennis finally became a NCAA sport we would immediately (within 5 years) see a huge boost in its popularity, I am pretty sure of that.

What I suggest
a) drop the affiliation fee (it's peanuts) for clubs/schools/colleges
b) create a simple software to help run local leagues and/or tournaments, instead of Zermelo. Something extremely simplified, which can run just an RR or an RR/SE or SE tournament, keep the club database list with ratings, and possibly generate an USATT report (out of which the ratings can be recalculated if necessary). I have actually created a simple PC-based program that does that calculation
c) make it easy for clubs/leagues to connect with sponsors like TT vendors - perhaps run some sort of a simple marketplace on USATT site where the two can meet
d) finally, since ITTF seems to dragging their heels there, can't USATT ask Reflex or some other similar group to finally get a simple but hopefully properly done promotional DVD (or CD) which would comprise about 5 minutes of history, 5 minutes of rallies, 5 minutes of promotional blah, and 5 minutes of comments, advice and similar exhortation. It could also have on it some historical materials, a couple of larger video clips, web links, etc etc. This DVD then should be sent everywhere, given as a link for download at USATT website etc

I am sure there are more things to do and to advise... I just don't see the enthusiasm on part of USATT and similar organizations.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 12:16pm

wtuber,

I didnt mean to imply that USTTA needed to hire Robert. I was just trying to say they need people (like Robert) that have a strong back ground in marketing and sales working for them. Maybe the USATT could reach out to sponsors beyond TT companies for funding of the organization.

As far as the water bottles, shirts, shorts, etc that could even be farmed out to a fulfillment company to handle the logistics of the orders. Something could be worked out so it is a source of revenue for the USATT.

I guess maybe I sound to critical of the USATT and that is not my intent. My intent is to discuss some things that the USATT could do and implement to grow the sport of TT. If my delivery sounded critical it was not meant to be. I guess more of constructive criticism.

Edited by RJTT - 02/13/2011 at 12:23pm

Founding member and club director of: Davidson County Table Tennis Club, NC.

www.davidsoncountytabletennisclub.com

CLUB SPONSORS: Joola, Giant Dragon, Zero Pong, Newgy, mypingpongbuddy
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 12:34pm

JimT,

I agree with you. I will say that the USATT club membership does get you a million in liability coverage. However when I asked about the details the person I talked to didnt know much. I asked if anyone had filled a claim and they said no. I wanted to see how well it covered. You also can sign up as a League for free with USATT and they will also host your league results.

I think a few extras like the software package is a good idea. They also could team up with a company so clubs could be able to have a website that the club could do themselves. USATT could get a web hosting company like the one I use to design some templates exclusively fore them for clubs to use. The cost of our website is only $6.00 a month including domain.

Maybe the USATT could talk companies like Joola, KS, BTY, PP, etc to offer 10% to all official USATT clubs. Maybe this would be a conflict not sure but some sort of discount for members of USATT or USATT clubs would be a “extra” for joining.

When I approached the Parks and Rec director in my town and started selling them on the idea of our club he had never heard of the USATT or ITTF. He has been Parks and rec. director for over 15 years. This should not be and could be done with a DVD like you said. Even if they want to target a certain size towns, schools, I would understand that because it could get expensive sending out mailers and DVD’s to every city, county, school, etc. However, if it is large schools like Wake Forest, UNC, NC state, etc (maybe some already have a club, not sure) then those schools need a personal visit or phone call. Maybe they already do this and I am unaware.

Either way I hope the sport continues to grow and with the right leadership it can…

Edited by RJTT - 02/13/2011 at 12:35pm

Founding member and club director of: Davidson County Table Tennis Club, NC.

www.davidsoncountytabletennisclub.com

CLUB SPONSORS: Joola, Giant Dragon, Zero Pong, Newgy, mypingpongbuddy
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 6:56pm
hmmm

perhaps you guys have missed it.

I posted it here but as it is typical. those threads go quiet.

17 high schools. 1 trophy. A day of filled with fun and energy that is unmatched in any sanctioned ping pong tournament (of course I missed the winning moment to put on video!!! but I have never seen any tournament table tennis player run over barriers to hug their team mates!)

and to boot (this was announced at the tournament). Killerspin is sponsoring the 2012 MN Highschool table tennis state championships.

So yes there is growth. In know California program is also doing good.

Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
tabletennistips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennistips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2011 at 12:27pm
I thought it said topless LOLLOLLOLLOL
check out my TT channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tabletennistips1
I am selling:
bryce speed fx brand new unopened and timo boll OFF forte PM if interested
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 11:56pm
Is Killerspin still around ?

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 1:10am
I think they are still around just not doing anything major. Last thing I saw they did was a building or garage type show in chicago i think. 
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 1:31pm
Killerspin had a tournament this weekend for charity I think.  My friend went to watch and got to play a match with Lupi for $20.  The cost to play in the tournament was > $200 I think, but as I said I think it was for charity.  Here is the link: http://www.topspincharity.com/the-cities/chicago/
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic