Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My match gameplay. Need tips to improve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PhilippVttc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My match gameplay. Need tips to improve
    Posted: 01/21/2021 at 3:12pm
Hey guys, Im currently training to improve my match tactics/gameplay,so I got 2 vids showing me how i played. I would love to see some feedback from you guys😊

With best regards
Philipp from Germany
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 3:54pm
I just watched a few points, but my initial reaction is, why not attack the serve? He always served long and you pushed, but opened up pushes that were much more difficult than the serves would have been to just attack from the start.

In other words, his serve was probably the juiciest ball you were going to get any time in the point. Might as well take a shot at least sometimes

Edited by cole_ely - 01/21/2021 at 3:55pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
bobafdlin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobafdlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 5:33pm
You can play better than me. Big smile
Just my two cents, you move much to the left and always using FH. Should use BH instead.
Anyhow, subbed to you. Wink
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 8:02pm
Agree.  Every serve I saw should have been attacked.  

You need to learn to take your time before serving, and develop some serve variation.  Serve very short.  Serve very long.  Serve some heavy, so not so heavy.  All either of you are doing now is putting the ball in play.  So you need to spend a lot of time learning to feel and place your serves.  Try running a string about 5 cm  above the netdand learn to serve beneath the string.  Then see if you can serve within 5 cm of the back line at will.  When you get to where yku can do that (it will take time) yku will also find you can feel serves enough to work on intentional spin variation.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 8:02pm
1. When trying to push back deep underspin serves to your Bh, you always tried to take the ball right off the bounce.  This is an extremely difficult shot to execute.  For the deep underspin serve, wait for the ball to come up and off the end of the table so you can push horizontal or even slightly down instead of having to push up.  You may be forcing yourself into using this shot because you commit very early to stepping in with your foot.  This is needed for short serves, but if the serve is long you just jam yourself.   Of course like cole mentioned it would be best if you could open against these.   You do better on your Fh push return, but even on it you are taking a long serve right off the bounce.

2.  You are doing a good job of serving short.  I think you need to mix in some long fast serves to keep opponent honest.  One idea I remember hearing is "serve long until they prove they can hurt you with the return".  Maybe you knew  that long was not  good against this opponent.  But still mixing in a few fast, long serves really makes your short ones more effective.  You had great success with short serve to his Fh.  You might have used that a little more.

3.  This particular opponent appeared to be much stronger on his Bh than his Fh yet you played mostly to his Bh.  Try to figure out early if opponent has weak side and play to that weakness more often.  In this particular case you might have tried short wide serves to Bh to move him over and then  open to his Fh.

4. You had early success with the slow highspin  opening loop.  Later he seemed to get better at retuning it. You switched to more of a power loop which you missed often.  Instead of completely giving up on the slow loop maybe you should have focused more on moving it around especially to his Fh.  Keep working on the  power loop because you will need it.  Just do not  completely abandon the slower loop because the variation is a point getter.

Mark - Who is not a coach but  plays one on the internet.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 6:08pm
Your BH is too weak...need to improve that soon otherwise you'll start to become quite imbalanced. I have the same problem too... It will become a major bottleneck later on. 

Serve/receive level is too low from both sides, placement variation and spin variation is pretty poor. I didn't see any reverse pendulum or hook serves, and no pure underspin/no spin serves...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 8:07pm
I know you want to improve on a lot of areas such as tactics. But my honest advice would be to keep it simple. I wholeheartedly suggest you to work on the basics (develop a solid technique for backhand and forehand topspin). Focusing on the basics will improve your shot quality and consistency tremendously. That alone will have you climb up to the 1600s in TTR rating. What league do you currently play in? 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 11:55pm
I like your friends backhand when he top spins it
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 12:03am
1) Keep practicing.  In 10 years, you will be much better if you stick with it.
2) I know you are playing for fun, but take some time before you serve.  You need to think about what you are going to do and what will happen next. 
3) If they serve long, loop it.  Even if you miss 100,000 times.  Remember you want to improve and are in it for the long run.  Eventually you will stop missing and the opponents will not want to serve long to you.
4) You need to do the drill where you serve underspin, they push, you loop and then they block and you loop the next one.  I would do this cross court with the forehand and then cross court from the backhand side with the forehand.  You need work on your transitioning from an underspin shot to a top spin shot. 

Keep practicing.  Table tennis is hard and requires lots and lots and lots of practice.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 4:16am
I like TT Gold's advice of keeping your game simple right now, it lets you actually play faster without delays. I like Lightspin's mentality to use the matches to strategically develop important shots and repsonses, like topspin long serves. I think Marks advice of doing a short serve well enough often enough makes you get away with an occasional fast/deep serve is good advice. As said, developing take a long time. I had some lessons in my 4 yrs in Korea... and it seemed none of that footwork traiining took any effect until I get 10 yrs older and 30kg heavier.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
PhilippVttc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilippVttc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 7:09am
I have 1000 ttr points,so not high
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 8:03am
Originally posted by PhilippVttc PhilippVttc wrote:

I have 1000 ttr points,so not high
Then definitely work on the basics. Lots of regular drills like Falkenberg and 2-2. Later on you could add the open up for these exercises. I got to 1600ttr by just playing a lot. Consistency is key. Got a 100 point jump because of speed training and then got up to 1800 still only having consistency going for me. No real strategy. I guarantee you that if you work on the basics and practice 3-5 times a week, you’ll get to 1400ttr within 2-3 years.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 3:21pm
Hi, OP
just wonder why I need to login to google to watch your video?Confused
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic