Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New ping-pong player and buying/customizing a racq
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New ping-pong player and buying/customizing a racq

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
...123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ...123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ping-pong player and buying/customizing a racq
    Posted: 01/31/2009 at 11:24pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my first posting so forgive me if there is already a discussion about the same topic.

I am an advanced-beginner (if such a level exists!) ping-pong player. A while back I bought a Stiga racquet for $30 and it is decent. Its red rubber is good enough for both forehand and backhand but its black rubber is just acceptable for a beginner.

So few weeks ago I met a more advanced ping-pong player with a pretty old (abused) racquet and I tried it and it was excellent. By excellent I mean the rubbers were less stiff and so I could control the ball better and keep it in play. I asked him where he bought his racquet from and he said eBay! He said that the best way to buy a racquet is to customize my own. Being new to ping-pong I have no clue what does, speed, control, spin meannevertheless customize my own racquet.

I live in Toronto (Canada) and there arent any stores that specialize in selling ping-pong equipments, and part (at least not that I am aware of). So buying from eBay seems a more convenient way for me.

My questions are:

1) If I want to spend somewhere between $75-$100 dollars on a new racquet, can I get anything good with this price range?

2) If yes, what should I be looking for in buying the blade, rubbers, etc, and can you give me some good models I can research? (Every company seems to say the same thing about their rubbers, blades, etc, and when you compare them with other companies then the descriptions just get more similar.)

3) Can you explain to me, as a beginner, what do I need more: speed, spin, control, etc?

Sorry for the long post and I am looking forward to your replies and help.

Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 11:32pm
Tell something also about your game. What do you do on your forehand? What do you do on your backhand?
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 11:43pm
If your budget is $75 - $100, you have a plenty of options.  If you are in Toronto area you should check out Arthur's online shop.

http://ppgear-table-tennis.ca/

I am sure Arthur will be able to help you find a custom setup suitable for your game style.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2009 at 12:56am
I suggest you buy an ALL Premade racket.  Butterfly is great when it comes to premade rackets.  Check out this website.

www.butterflyonline.com
acer800 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acer800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2009 at 1:01am
IMO get a custom racket. If your going to pay 30-50 dollars, you might as well add like 20 more to get a good custom racket from coles. The racket can last you MUCH longer
You want A PERSONAL WEBSITE FOR SUPER CHEAP?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22979&PN=1#269260
...123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ...123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2009 at 12:55pm

I hold the racquet with a shake hold, and my style and level of play is similar to what you see in the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4JXquAk9qc

I am just a bit more aggressive (or like faster play), but I enjoy defensive play a lot.

And I looking to customize a racquet for $75-$100.

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2009 at 1:12pm

I can probably guess what the 30 dollar stiga looks and feels like. I probably even know what it plays like since I've owned a 30 dollar stiga.

You can get a very nice custom racket w/ case for as little as $35 US dollars believe it or not (and I'm speaking of quality components)

For a blade I would recommend a Dawei Quattro Limba as a great all-around blade (medium speed), or if you're tempted for something faster, the Dawei Matrix.

For rubbers, I'd go with Dawei there as well. Friendship's Cream MRS would also be a great choice... it would be tackier than your stiga for some better spins and would provide good speed with a controlled feeling.

I can advise more later if you're interested. See www.colestt.com for the choices I mentioned.

Hayabusa Zi ST/FH:H3-50med/BH:GoldArc5-42.5-2.0
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2009 at 9:16pm

You should buy from arthur at ppgear, I'm pretty sure that for 50-60$ you can get a REALLY good allround combo, or even off- if you're confident in your offensive strokes.

TacticalTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 12:44am
I am playing at that the level of the video or maybe somewhat better. I had Cole put together a setup that I really like. It is the Dawei Matrix blade with Palio CJ8000 rubbers and Saviga 1.8 sponge. It is reasonably priced at around $30 shipped. It loops really well and is an Off- setup. I can see myself wanting something a  little faster in the future but this has been working great. I let my friends try it and I notice a major improvement in their game, their first time trying using it compared to the $40 stiga house paddle I bought from sport chalet - theres a huge difference.

www.colestt.com
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 5:53am
just wondering how you guys would rate the guys in the vid?

Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 2:50pm

TacticalTT made a great setup suggestion, I would second that. He's right, that's a racket that will outperform a 30 dollar stiga.

It would offer great all around play for 35 bucks or so. And if you want upgrade to more speed and spin, once again, just another 35 bucks (for a whole new setup... 70 total for 2 quality bats... can't beat it). You could even just upgrade one side if you want to adjust your forehand or backhand, for about 14 bucks. After playing with the first one for a while you would have a better idea if you want more spin and/or speed; or you may decide it's exactly what you want.

I just got a matrix blade in the mail today actually... hmm, what shall I put on mine...
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 4:04pm
This is simple. Get a Butterfly Primorac for $37. That's a perfect All-around blade for an advanced beginner. (Or get a Galaxy blade around the same price.)

http://www.tabletennisonly.com/Blade_Shakehand_BTY.html
http://www.colestt.com/

Then order two sheets of regular Sriver with a 1.9 thickness. That's the ultimate rubber for an advanced beginner. Hands down. And rubbers make more of a difference than blades at your price range...

http://www.butterflyonline.com/online_store_productcloseup.asp?page=rubber_all.asp&type=3&ID=36&pg=1&SortBy=b.image3&displayNum=5&frompg=all_around

Otherwise, if you don't want to spend that much on rubbers go for Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight (IQUL) 35 or 40 deg. Go with 1.8 or 2.0 thickness to start with....

http://www.colestt.com/

Then, when you want some more performance in the future you can upgrade to faster rubbers and you will know what to look for at that point. Soon after that, you will want to upgrade the whole setup, but you will have a good starting point from there.

venacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

I'm also curious.
jphillips348 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphillips348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by venacious venacious wrote:

I'm also curious.

ive only been playing about 2 and half to 3 months, and i'd say i'm head and shoulders above the players in that video. and i dont even consider myself "ok". many of my coworkers give me a hard workover. they have almost no use of spin and extremely sloppy strokes, and no technique whatsoever. i have no training outside of youtube videos.

i think if you commit yourself to learning how to do the strokes properly it pays off in a very short ammount of time. once you understand you can hit the ball with everything you got and use the arc/spin given to you by use of the proper strokes to ensure it will land on the table you get a huge advantage on almost all "recreational" players
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by venacious venacious wrote:

I'm also curious.
looks like they are playing hardbat. Not bad if that's the case.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

jphillips348 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jphillips348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 5:44pm
im pretty sure they're not. all the bats are black/red... ive never seen a hardbat that wasnt one color on both sides
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by jphillips348 jphillips348 wrote:

im pretty sure they're not. all the bats are black/red... ive never seen a hardbat that wasnt one color on both sides
I've seen a few that are red and blue... But yeah, its hard to find a hardbat that's black and red. That looks like they're playing inverted, tho.

gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Originally posted by jphillips348 jphillips348 wrote:

I've seen a few that are red and blue... But yeah, its hard to find a hardbat that's black and red. That looks like they're playing inverted, tho.

most hardbats today, around the world, are compliant with ITTF rules, at least the ones used in competition. The way the ball was moving on the video was more consistent with a hardbat than an inverted blade.
But you guys might be right...
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

TacticalTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2009 at 11:08pm
I don t know how I would rate the guys in the video. This is my take. A couple of the better players are on the upper end of recreational players. They are familiar with keeping the ball in play but their technique could use a lot of help. Many of them have a lot of bad habits that they can get away with in their own work TT environment. Like the one guy who hits  forehand 99% of the time even tough he is running like mad to get  to them. He actually covers a lot of ground but gets torn up on shots that change direction.  

Just the way that I am, I am the type who once I get started in something, I study the fundamentals and want to become a complete player rather than a guy who can beat his friends at work. I am a student of the game. I shoot a lot of handgun competition and I am a firearms instructor and I know bad habits are hard to break. As a firearms intructor a lot of times it is better to train someone who has never shot a gun before instead of someone who has been shooting incorrectly for a long time. I think table tennis is similar.
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2009 at 4:01am
Just get a custom blade from ppgear.com, colestt.com or zeropong.com  have them seal the blade and put the first set of rubbers on it and have at it.  Once the rubbers wear out you can replace them yourself.  This way you have a new custom racket that was properly assembled for you, that you can play with and when its time to replace the rubbers you know how it looked and felt so that you can do it yourself.  We will help you if you have any questions at that time.  You can get a very decent blade for +/- $30.00 and a good set of rubbers for another $30-45.  Later you can start experimenting with different rubbers and so on, and then you will understand what being an EJ (equipment junkie) is.  
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
...123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ...123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2009 at 10:27pm

Thank you guys for your feedback,

I appreciate your comments and have already started looking into the info. and links you provided. I still have a lot to learn before I can make an educated purchase. I still need to know about things such as "sweet spot", control, spin, speed, what difference the blades make etc.

By the way, what do you recommend for a blade? I dont like heavy blades and I dont like the ones that make a piercing sound, like they are hallow or something. Any suggestions?

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 12:12am
most of the quality blades around arent that heavy.  the pre-made you have been using is just too light. 

thinner all wood blades usually make a thud kind of sound which i dont like very much.  more solid blades make a nice clicking sound.  speed gluing and tensor rubbers also make clicking noises.  i think most people will agree that the clicking is quite addictive.

if you want anything nice, it will most likely be heavier than what youre used to, if not definitely.  blades that are too light will have a very small sweet spot which would make off center hits very inconsistent.  light blades also lack power.  if you dont want any sound, i guess you can play long pips LOL

Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
jakeblanks View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 12:27am
id go to zeropong.com or maybe its .net but its a great site lot of 729 stuff :]
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:51am
Originally posted by ...123 ...123 wrote:

Thank you guys for your feedback,

I appreciate your comments and have already started looking into the info. and links you provided. I still have a lot to learn before I can make an educated purchase. I still need to know about things such as "sweet spot", control, spin, speed, what difference the blades make etc.

By the way, what do you recommend for a blade? I dont like heavy blades and I dont like the ones that make a piercing sound, like they are hallow or something. Any suggestions?

perhaps you'd find this page helpful:

http://ppgear-table-tennis.ca/recommended-racket-combos
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic