Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

penhold flexibility + push

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Waffles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: penhold flexibility + push
    Posted: 02/03/2009 at 10:56pm
I'm a penholder and people have constantly stressed the advantage of flexibility in penhold. I've always capitalized on this by turning my wrist back as much as possible before loops and serve. But I'm curious after I talked to a fellow club member around similar rating (1200-1300). He tries NOT to move his wrist when he forehands. Anyways, would like to get more opinion on this - do other penholders maximize their wrist flexibility?

Also, is it possible to turn your wrist back also when you push? pushing seems to be my weak point in the game and any links/guides/tips anyone has on the different "types" of pushing would be great! thanks. I especially have trouble with balls that hit the net/are very low. I'm curious does anyone ever push with the paddle face up against topspin or flat shots(except for the obvious slicing stuff)? I'm a traditional player and play on one side - was thinking of switching to RPB and tried a little, quite convinced I won't master the stroke without a coach to apply it into my game.
Sponsored Links

Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Waffles Waffles wrote:

I'm a penholder and people have constantly stressed the advantage of flexibility in penhold. I've always capitalized on this by turning my wrist back as much as possible before loops and serve. But I'm curious after I talked to a fellow club member around similar rating (1200-1300). He tries NOT to move his wrist when he forehands. Anyways, would like to get more opinion on this - do other penholders maximize their wrist flexibility?

Also, is it possible to turn your wrist back also when you push? pushing seems to be my weak point in the game and any links/guides/tips anyone has on the different "types" of pushing would be great! thanks. I especially have trouble with balls that hit the net/are very low. I'm curious does anyone ever push with the paddle face up against topspin or flat shots(except for the obvious slicing stuff)? I'm a traditional player and play on one side - was thinking of switching to RPB and tried a little, quite convinced I won't master the stroke without a coach to apply it into my game.

I believe with penhold, you should not be using your wrist except for flips and serves since it can develop into bad technique. Rather, you should try to swing your arm in such a way that it makes an arc. That's what I've been told.
Waffles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 2:08am
i often watch pro videos and it's similar to what you say, i guess i just learned the wrong way too far >_>... does anyone have more specific tips for me - i feel so like my time is wasted kinda thing -_- thanks.
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 4:53am
for serves, penholders rely a lot on wrist to produce greater spin.  other than serves, i don't focus on turning my wrist, i do notice the involvement of wrist in loops and other strokes, but it's nothing dramatic.  i try to pay attention on involving the whole body on loops instead of paying attention to any specific part of the body.  as for rpb, i only use it when i'm backed away from the table, there's more wrist involved, but i don't turn it as much as i should for stability/control reasons, but if u were to use rpb over the table, then u'd have to use a ton of wrist.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 5:05am
If you use one pips in rubber only why don't you try a j-pen blade? The grip is much more comfortable and it is easier to push heavy. C-pen blades are generally  better  only if you use short pips over the table.
Single Ply Hinoki club
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Thylacine Thylacine wrote:

If you use one pips in rubber only why don't you try a j-pen blade? The grip is much more comfortable and it is easier to push heavy. C-pen blades�are generally �better� only if you use short pips over the table.

Tell that to Yoshida Kali.
Waffles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 3:56pm
so do you think it's beneficial to intentionally turn back your wrist and use it to the full length? I still assume it's penhold's advantage but I'm not sure if it's correct technique because I don't have a coach.
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

If you use one pips in rubber only why don't you try a j-pen blade? The grip is much more comfortable and it is easier to push heavy. C-pen blades are generally  better  only if you use short pips over the table.

I have a Japanese varsity player friend that says Yoshida Kai could have have climb ten ranking steps higher if ever he would switch to JPen. According to him, his playing style doesn't benefit anything from the CPen blade since he plays like a JPen player.
Messing opponents with their own spins.
----------------------------------------------------
Main:
Sunflex Pro
Rubbers:Focus III/Nitakku Express

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
Rubbers:Palio CJ8000/DHS 652
Shadows View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2009 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by 77g33k 77g33k wrote:

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

I have a Japanese varsity player friend that says Yoshida Kai could have have climb ten ranking steps higher if ever he would switch to JPen. According to him, his playing style doesn't benefit anything from the CPen blade since he plays like a JPen player.

So the advantage of CPen is essentially RPB? And for looping, my friend who's better than me tells me to relax your wrist but don't overthink it :D (I can barely loop though so who knows >_>)
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2009 at 3:34am
Stretching the wrist back only when I serve and not loop or on other stroke.

When pushing, hold the paddle stiff and push forward underneath the ball. This can be done even the ball is at net high or lower. 
I do push with the paddle face up against topspin as well as flat shots.
(Note: I'm a Jpen holder and plays on one side previously, now trying RPB style).
snakecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2009 at 10:30am
on the topic of wrist movement- when hitting forehand, if you are cocking your wrist you will obviously get more spin/loop. but you should try hitting the way you friend at the club does with a straight wrist. you will get more more power and accuracy in your shot. you can still loop this way, but it requires more arm.

as for pushes, close to the net it can be very advantageous to add spin using your wrist. this is pretty easy on backhand (not the RPB variety), but trickier on forehand, especially when you have to reach wide. my general (but not steadfast) rule is to keep it loose Over the table, and more straight Behind the table.
apekzhrk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apekzhrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2009 at 11:47am
i used to play penhold before changing to modern def sh.
one thing i noticed about ph is that i can slightly losen my wrist and make a sling-shot like motion with my arm and hit the ball. this generated a huge about of power for my loop drives.
also for hookloops it was so much easier once i used my wrist.

i've been trying to use the sling-shot motion by loosening my wrist a bit with SH but sometimes when in a moment, i tend to tighten up. PH made me naturally do that.

(not sure if doing that sling shot thing is even the right way to hit the ball but that's what i've noticed using ph)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic