Print Page | Close Window

Elmer's Rubber Cement

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43041
Printed Date: 05/07/2024 at 12:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Elmer's Rubber Cement
Posted By: liulin04
Subject: Elmer's Rubber Cement
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 7:13pm
Anyone know if Elmer's Rubber Cement works equally well as Tear Mender?  While I'm waiting for my Tear Mender to come from online purchase, it turns out that my local ACE has Elmer's Rubber Cement.
Can I use this to replace glue, just like Tear Mender?

How safe is this for the rubber and the blade using Elmer's rubber cement?  Thanks!

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Replies:
Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 7:18pm

I've been using RC with RC thinner for the past 10 years with zero issues.

-------------
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Posted By: liXiao
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 7:28pm
I also use it and it works perfectly well. 

-------------
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing

Posted By: shay2be
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 7:29pm
i have used rubber cement for like 2 years without thinner and no problem. I have heard though that the VOC's in the glue can react with the sponge. But to be safe I would just use tearmender or any other glue. I am also making the switch to another glue.

Posted By: RyKnocks
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 7:30pm
Does your local Ace not have Tear Mender?  All the Ace's I've been to have both Tear Mender and Elmers Rubber Cement.  I'm currently using the Elmers but will switch to Tear Mender on my next glue job.  I like how easy Tear Mender comes off of the sponge.

-------------
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*

Posted By: liulin04
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by RyKnocks RyKnocks wrote:

Does your local Ace not have Tear Mender?  All the Ace's I've been to have both Tear Mender and Elmers Rubber Cement.  I'm currently using the Elmers but will switch to Tear Mender on my next glue job.  I like how easy Tear Mender comes off of the sponge.

no unfortunately my ACE store doesn't have Tear Mender.  I just did a bit of research.  ACE sells them on their website for $25 a bottle for a 177mL, while Ebay sells only $6 a bottle.  I'll buy it from Ebay instead.  Thanks guys 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Posted By: Hookshot
Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 8:52pm
The first time I tried to find Tear Mender at Ace, no one could find it. It comes in a bottle, in a box, on a shelf that is all bottles. hard to spot. Even the people that worked there missed it. Smile

Date Posted: 07/06/2011 at 10:44pm
With RC, I apply 2 to 3 coats to the sponge and 1 to the blade.  After that, I only apply RC to the blade, the sponge will stick w/o further need for RC/glue.

-------------

Posted By: qynthnghm
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 1:16am
To be frank you need not use anything else other than Elmer's Wrinkle-Free Rubber Cement.

Posted By: Anton Chigurh
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 2:15am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

To be frank you need not use anything else other than Elmer's Wrinkle-Free Rubber Cement.

+1

I agree with Frank.

-------------
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80

Posted By: assiduous
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 3:45am
you need the rubber cement thinner as well. This thing is quite thick and then it dries in seconds. With me it dries before I am able to apply it evenly. It is very hard to make a thin even layer.

Also, you need to keep in mind that there is some boosting effect. It will play a little different the first couple of days.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Posted By: Archie10
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 3:51am
DO NOT USE ELMERS GLUE!! THEY SUCK AND THE BUILD UP IS HARD TO REMOVE...

Tear Mender is the best glue among every glue i have ever used.

-------------
i'll be the Manny Pacquiao of table tennis.

TBS FL
FH - Tenergy 05 2.1
BH - Tenergy 64 1.9

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40195&title=feedback-archie10 - My Feedback

Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Archie10 Archie10 wrote:

DO NOT USE ELMERS GLUE!! THEY SUCK AND THE BUILD UP IS HARD TO REMOVE...

Tear Mender is the best glue among every glue i have ever used.

"With RC, I apply 2 to 3 coats to the sponge and 1 to the blade.  After that, I only apply RC to the blade, the sponge will stick w/o further need for RC/glue. "

Thats only if you keep applying RC to the sponge, there's NO need for that so therefore NO buildup.

-------------

Posted By: RyKnocks
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 12:02pm
I've only been using one layer of Elmers RC on the blade and one layer on the sponge.  When I remove the rubber, I can hardly see any of the RC on the sponge let alone remove any of it from the sponge.  If I switch to Tear Mender, will I need to remove the RC from the sponge regardless of how hard it will be to do?

-------------
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*

Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by RyKnocks RyKnocks wrote:

I've only been using one layer of Elmers RC on the blade and one layer on the sponge.  When I remove the rubber, I can hardly see any of the RC on the sponge let alone remove any of it from the sponge.  If I switch to Tear Mender, will I need to remove the RC from the sponge regardless of how hard it will be to do?

If this is your 2nd or more re-app of the rubber, you don't need RC on the sponge, only the blade. If you're going to switch glues on the same rubber, I wouldn't do it. Get a fresh piece and start over.
Trying to remove the buildup is a hassle and you will end up removing bits of the sponge and probably end up throwing away the rubber.

-------------

Posted By: pnachtwey
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 12:32pm
I have had no luck removing rubber from the sponge.   Removing rubber from the paddle is easy.  If you rub the blade with you palm fast enough, to heat the blade a bit, the rubber softens and comes off.  This obviously does work with rubber.

I am going to try jt99sf suggestion of only putting RC on the blade when reattaching some rubbers.   I am going to try it now. The rubbers are still sticky.   Also I have ruined a pair of rubbers when I let the two sponges come in contact.   I couldn't peel them apart without tearing the sponges.   That was not good.   So I know that previously attached sponges still have plenty of sticky rubber on them. 

-------------
I TT therefore I am

Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I have had no luck removing rubber from the sponge.   Removing rubber from the paddle is easy.  If you rub the blade with you palm fast enough, to heat the blade a bit, the rubber softens and comes off.  This obviously does work with rubber.

I am going to try jt99sf suggestion of only putting RC on the blade when reattaching some rubbers.   I am going to try it now. The rubbers are still sticky.   Also I have ruined a pair of rubbers when I let the two sponges come in contact.   I couldn't peel them apart without tearing the sponges.   That was not good.   So I know that previously attached sponges still have plenty of sticky rubber on them. 

I think if you brushed (artist brush) some thinner between the stuck rubbers, they may slowly come apart.

-------------

Posted By: assiduous
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 3:25pm
Rubber cement is not meant to be used as speed glue, man. Why do u need to reapply it 10 times? A couple of times is enough for the life of the rubber, and to me the buildup after a couple of times is negligible.

I just wish it was drying slower. May be it's too hot in my garage : ). But I don't have time to apply it evenly with the brush. I swear it dries before my eyes, literally a few seconds. Also, applying a thin layer is a challenge, even with thinner. I have to check how much weight it adds..

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

+1

I agree with Frank.

Well, to answer in ernest, rubber cement is OK. But TearMender shirley stinks less.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 07/07/2011 at 11:59pm
Going on a tangent, I noticed the elmers I've been buying lately from office depot hasn't been the same.  For one thing, the price jumped to $9 per liter.  And now it's that paper sack brown like waldner speed glue used to be. Previously it had been almost as white as best test. 

I am going back to the BestTest for top/sponge adhesion I think.  I have a call into elmers to find out if this is a new thing, plus an email.  It will be interesting to see if I get a response back.

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Date Posted: 07/08/2011 at 11:02am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Going on a tangent, I noticed the elmers I've been buying lately from office depot hasn't been the same.  For one thing, the price jumped to $9 per liter.  And now it's that paper sack brown like waldner speed glue used to be. Previously it had been almost as white as best test. 

I am going back to the BestTest for top/sponge adhesion I think.  I have a call into elmers to find out if this is a new thing, plus an email.  It will be interesting to see if I get a response back.

My guess is that it is just a variation in the base natural rubber that they use.  Maybe there are some rubber shortages and they resorted to using a somewhat lower grade?  I'd guess that for 99.9% of uses that it doesn't matter.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 07/08/2011 at 1:04pm

it's probably better for paper, really

-------------

Date Posted: 07/08/2011 at 10:28pm
Today I successfully removed rubber from the sponge.   It wasn't that hard.   What I did is use the palm of my hand and rub from the center towards the edge of the rubber very quickly.  My palm and the sponge got very warm and the rubber became soft.  As I stroked the rubber more and more the applied rubber started to 'ball up' and move towards the edge.   I then removed the clumps of rubber from the edges. This took about 15 minutes and worked very well.

-------------
I TT therefore I am

Posted By: racquetsforsale
Date Posted: 07/09/2011 at 12:17am
If a blade has been sealed with a thin coat of poly-u and lightly sanded smooth with 600 grit, does RC readily adhere to it and will it be easy to remove it later on? Thanks.

Posted By: Antiq
Date Posted: 07/09/2011 at 12:27am
Not sure about the smoothness... usually it adhere well. Just try it (no harm). If it does not stick, just rough the blade surface a bit.

It is generally easy to remove rubber when you use RC. And the RC on the blade usually stick to the sponge so there is usually little residue left on the blade which you can easily remove once you sealed your blade.

Date Posted: 07/09/2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Not sure about the smoothness... usually it adhere well. Just try it (no harm). If it does not stick, just rough the blade surface a bit.

It is generally easy to remove rubber when you use RC. And the RC on the blade usually stick to the sponge so there is usually little residue left on the blade which you can easily remove once you sealed your blade.

Right.  Rubber cement tends to stick to sponge more tenaciously than wood.  Water based glues like TearMender tend to stick to the wood a bit more tenaciously and a bit less tenaciously to the sponge.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: rokphish
Date Posted: 07/09/2011 at 3:04am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

If a blade has been sealed with a thin coat of poly-u and lightly sanded smooth with 600 grit, does RC readily adhere to it and will it be easy to remove it later on? Thanks.

Yes and Yes...

-------------
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover

Date Posted: 07/09/2011 at 11:10am
Just try rubbing the blade and the sponge with your palms until it gets warm.   The rubber cement will start to come off.  This works for water based glue too.  There is no need for sand paper to remove glue.

-------------
I TT therefore I am

Date Posted: 07/09/2011 at 3:26pm
Thanks all for the input. Will remember them the next time I change rubbers.

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 12:14am
Just to follow up, it's been about a week since I contacted Elmers.  Neither phone message nor internet based question have been responded to.

The phone extension I called was elmers corporate number, option "consumer issues."  I didn't pick that option at first.  I thought maybe that was the number you called to save the whales or whatever.

The internet question I sent through their own customers service online form and they were to reply to my email.

So, just a bit of insite into the fine workings of the mid sized american corporation.  At this point I'm going to give up on elmers for a while and go to best test.  I've advised hundreds of people to use elmers over the years.  I guess this is kind of a public disclaimer that I can no longer recommend it.  If I should happen to hear back, I'll report.

-------------

Posted By: formidableone14
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:21am
This is illegal, why do people insist on pushing the use of these products.   Just hope that you never play a tournament in which they actually test.  Just step up your game and use VOC free products as ITTF has instructed.
Yes, it will damage you sponge and rubbers as these are not meant to be used in these type of applications.   I dont know about you but my 50-75 dollar rubbers dont want to be tainted by these atrocities.

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Tenergy 05 FH/Tenergy 80 BH

Posted By: LOOPMEISTER
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:26am

Going on a tangent, I noticed the elmers I've been buying lately from office depot hasn't been the same.  For one thing, the price jumped to $9 per liter.  And now it's that paper sack brown like waldner speed glue used to be.

I noticed the same thing. I thought it was just on older can I got from Office Depot. The brownish Elmer's is also thicker, and doesn't dome the sponge as easily as the thinner, clear version.

-------------

Posted By: LOOPMEISTER
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:27am
Originally posted by formidableone14 formidableone14 wrote:

This is illegal, why do people insist on pushing the use of these products.   Just hope that you never play a tournament in which they actually test.  Just step up your game and use VOC free products as ITTF has instructed.
Yes, it will damage you sponge and rubbers as these are not meant to be used in these type of applications.   I dont know about you but my 50-75 dollar rubbers dont want to be tainted by these atrocities.

I use Elmers because I'm still using old-school rubbers on my bh. My racket passes the ENEZ test, so its legal.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 11:00am
Airing out your rubbers so it paases the test does not in fact make it legal.   You are manipulating the rules in your favor.   It is still illegal to use VOC based glues regardless of what you do to make it pass.

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 12:07pm

Airing out your rubbers so it paases the test does not in fact make it legal.   You are manipulating the rules in your favor.   It is still illegal to use VOC based glues regardless of what you do to make it pass.

At the end of the day, Table tennis is only a game.  I play it for my health, social aspect and for the fun of the game.
RC is a cheaper option for me and it works well.  I've never used WBG and probably never will because of the issues involved.  At my level, I don't think using RC will affect a tournament's outcome to any large extent.

Chill out.Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 12:09pm
No one needs to chill out lol, im simply making a statement.

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 1:12pm

The ITTF rules say that the adhesive used on your racket cannot contain VOC.  It doesn't say that it never could contain VOC.  I think you'll find that the manufacturers' glue that attaches the sponge to the topsheet contained VOC when it was applied.

The rules are ambiguous at best.

3.2.4.1 It is the responsibility of each player to ensure that racket coverings are
attached to their racket blade with adhesives that do not contain harmful
volatile solvents.

3.2.4.2.1 The racket control centre shall test rackets, according to the policy and
procedure established by the Executive Committee on recommendation of
the Equipment Committee, to ensure that rackets abide by all ITTF
regulations including, but not limited to, racket covering thickness, flatness
and presence of harmful volatile substances.

And the continued presence of this rule is a real head scratcher.

3.2.4.3 A properly ventilated area shall be provided for the attachment of racket
coverings to rackets, and liquid adhesives shall not be used anywhere else at
the playing venue.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 1:19pm

You don't have to do anything to make it pass, except wait like 48 hours.  Plus, you're not gaining any play advantage at all unless you use it like within a day of gluing.  I have serious doubts that any TT company (paddle palace etc) is using water based glue for their customer combo's.

If you're not gaining any advantage you're within the spirit of the rule.  If you're passing the test you're within the letter of the rule.  I don't see where your issue lies.  If the ittf has made any IMPLICATION that you have to use water based glue, then they did so with a wink and a nod simply to help client manufacturers sell their water glue.  Heck, I sell it too but I don't like it. 

The only time I can see justification for using water based glue is if you're going to be in competition within 48 hours.

-------------

Posted By: patient.bird
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 1:39pm
@cole_ely: I know for certainty that Paddle Palace uses Nittaku Finezip for customer combos.

-------------
Stiga AR NCT + Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm.....and a few others

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by patient.bird patient.bird wrote:

@cole_ely: I know for certainty that Paddle Palace uses Nittaku Finezip for customer combos.

Really, I'm surprised to hear that.  Do you know about any other companies?

-------------

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by patient.bird patient.bird wrote:

Really, I'm surprised to hear that.  Do you know about any other companies?

I am also surprised...

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Posted By: JBurn244
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 4:09pm
Interesting. Agreed, its not like you gain advantage by using rubber cement. Don't really get the crusade against RC going on in here...

-------------
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2

Posted By: bayttplayer
Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 4:14pm
I think the rule is the rule.....
If you play tournaments, don't use it...
I'm using it for FH, because is hard for me to gule H3 by using water base glue..

But....I don't reglue it....and I don't play tournament...Wink

-------------
Innerforce-ZLC FL + H3 + T80

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 4:41pm
and what exactly is the rule?  One of you rules guys have the page bookmarked where you could do a quick copy and paste?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 5:17pm
I got into TT just this past year, so after the speedglue ban. I kind of wish I could have experienced that. Wonder if it will ever become legal again?

-------------
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 5:42pm

and what exactly is the rule?  One of you rules guys have the page bookmarked where you could do a quick copy and paste?
You do know the rule, don't you?
'do not contain harmful volatile solvents.'
Do not..... and that is it...

Yes, you can use speed glue and wait for few days to make the tester can't detect it.
But only tells the capability of tester, it still against the rlue.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 9:47pm
really, that's the exact wording? 

Honestly the terms seem a bit vague to me.  Not volatile, but harmful. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:05pm
How long does the RC smell remain?

If it doesn't smell then doesn't that effectively mean the VOCs are gone?

According to Wiki, it sure sounds like ALL VOCs are harmful, so that rule effectively bans any and all VOCs.

Correction: just because our noses can't detect them doesn't mean they're not there anymore.

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:48pm
I kind of thought there was a certain amount that was detectable but allowable.  A threshold so to speak.  Isn't that why they say most pro's tune, but once in a while they fail?  They pushed that line a little too far?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by bayttplayer bayttplayer wrote:

You do know the rule, don't you?
Do not..... and that is it...

Yes, you can use speed glue and wait for few days to make the tester can't detect it.
But only tells the capability of tester, it still against the rlue.

Thank you.

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Date Posted: 07/13/2011 at 10:56pm
Is clear..
The rule says 'do not contain harmful volatile solvents.'
If you use harmful volatile solvents to glue you racket, don't claim you racket is a legal racket, regardless how you did and when you did.
Is against the rule because you use it. Doesn't matter you don't gain any play advantage or the tester no able to detect.
The rule may not be perfect and hard to execute.
That's why ittf keep changing the rule to make it more sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 10:50am
could you link me to the exact rule?  I really want to read it verbatim and not clipped like you have it and possibly out of context.

As stated, manufacturers HAVE to use voc glue for top/sponge adhesion.  As the ittf contact for air, could I be defined as a factory?  I just don't think it's as simple as you want to make it.  Are you actually clipping that quoted line from the rules page?  If so, would you do me a favor and just provide me the link?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 12:09pm
Are you able to convince yourself you are a factory?
Why don't take high standard to yourself instead of searching what is the weak point the rlue that you can use?

volatile solvents is ban, it is simple.

-------------

Posted By: addoydude
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 12:34pm
volatile substances dissipate over time. So an illegal racket at the time the rubbers were attached can become legal after some time. As long as at the time of the tournament the "racket coverings are attached to their blade with adhesives that do not contain harmful volatile solvents" then you're good to go.  The control center tests for the presence of volatile substances at the time of the tournament. If there is none present then it is legal. 

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1

Posted By: ZingyDNA
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 1:05pm

Are you able to convince yourself you are a factory?

Of course he can. He sells TT equipment. Sometimes he puts a racket together so he IS a factory!

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:23pm
I love how everone seems to think that bending this rule in favor of yourself is ok.  Its plain and simple, black and white.   You can not use glues that contain VOC's.  The test is simply a way to do a spot check that is obviously flawed to an extent.   Im completely content with myself and the fact that I choose not to break the rules of a sport that I love and have so much passion for.  I just wish more people felt the same way I do.    Several sports stars claim to never have taken steroids, even test clean.......but after extensive digging around, voila!   They are in fact using/used a banned substance. 

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Posted By: addoydude
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:39pm
there is no bending of the rule. The rubbers are not attached with adhesives that contain VOC - that is the letter of the law.   The law does not say "... adhesives that may have contained VOCs in the past". And there is no playing advantage - which is the spirit of the law. So in both letter and spirit, it is legal.

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:42pm

I love how everone seems to think that bending this rule in favor of yourself is ok.  Its plain and simple, black and white.   You can not use glues that contain VOC's.  The test is simply a way to do a spot check that is obviously flawed to an extent.   Im completely content with myself and the fact that I choose not to break the rules of a sport that I love and have so much passion for.  I just wish more people felt the same way I do.    Several sports stars claim to never have taken steroids, even test clean.......but after extensive digging around, voila!   They are in fact using/used a banned substance. 

You must either work for ITTF or a WBG company.LOL  

Do you toss the ball 6 inches on your service or wear a white and yellow shirt when playing?  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:44pm
you are inaccurate, I never said I dont play tournaments please show me where I said that.

Just to humor you, I toss the ball much higher than required and I wear a black shirt, always.  :D

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Posted By: sweetstrike
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:46pm
It's not an enforceable rule because once the solvent system has evaporated, how can a referee tell if it was voc glue or wb glue?

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 2:47pm

I'm using it for FH, because is hard for me to gule H3 by using water base glue..

So in the spirit of the rule, you are in violation. No excuses...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:06pm
I mean it just seems like such a silly thing to be so uptight about. Again, it'd be different if RC was undetectable like it is now but significantly changed the playing characteristics of the rubber.

-------------
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:16pm

you are inaccurate, I never said I dont play tournaments please show me where I said that.

Just to humor you, I toss the ball much higher than required and I wear a black shirt, always.  :D

sorry, it wasn't you.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

It's not an enforceable rule because once the solvent system has evaporated, how can a referee tell if it was voc glue or wb glue?

+10

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by JBurn244 JBurn244 wrote:

I mean it just seems like such a silly thing to be so uptight about. Again, it'd be different if RC was undetectable like it is now but significantly changed the playing characteristics of the rubber.

They can use it as an excuse:  I lost to him because he was using RC instead of WBG. Dang it!! LOL

-------------

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 3:58pm

Perhaps you'd be interested in what Adham has to say.  I will say though that I've had some success with using Tear Mender.

Originally posted by Adham Adham wrote:

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Hello Adham and thanks for dropping by our little forum.

I'm not going to get into the rules discussion because it looks like you and JimT have had a lively exchange.  I did want some clarification for one specific case, which I've discussed in other forums.  You can consider it trivia if you'd like.

Some people like myself don't like any of these new water-based glues.  Mainly, the bond is so strong that it tends to ruin the blade, and with blades getting more and more expensive, that's a bit of a drag.

So let's say I use regular rubber cement and let it air out for a few days and it indeed passed the ENEZ, would the racket be legal despite the fact that I used what is technically an illegal substance? Or once the VOC's are gone, will it be legal?  Thanks.

Very good question. In fact, all glues, even water-based glues have some VOCs in them. There is also VOC in between the rubber and the sponge. This is why we always recommend to air the rubbers for at least 48 hours (72 hours will remove all traces of VOCs). So to answer your question, yes, if you aired your racket long enough and no more VOCs are detectable, then you are OK. But you have to be honest, don't use any additives, and don't play with the racket while the glue still has VOCs. But then you should be responsible for your own health issues. Believe me, even though many players underestimate the negative health effects of VOCs in glue, it is really a health problem in the long term. This is a fact and all medical and scientific research proves it.
I believe that the manufacturers will come up with better blades that will not splinter or break when the water-based glues are used.

Adham

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:21pm
While that staement does go against my beliefs, I do appreciate you bringing this light onto the subject.

-------------
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

So in the spirit of the rule, you are in violation. No excuses...LOL
Yes, my racket is illegal base ittf rule, but I don't use it play any tournament that use ittf rule.
So, no excuses.
You can find many excuses...but still just excuses..Thumbs Down
The racket itself is illegal, that is a fact..Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:40pm
When airing out the RC smell from rubber and blade after application and before adhering the rubber to the blade, how do you guys keep them dust free?

Or do you adhere rubber to blade as soon as the RC has dried and then just let the assembed paddle air out?

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:43pm

When airing out the RC smell from rubber and blade after application and before adhering the rubber to the blade, how do you guys keep them dust free?

Or do you adhere rubber to blade as soon as the RC has dried and then just let the assembed paddle air out?

I do my gluing process in my garage and never had a dust issue, you?

-------------

Posted By: Anton Chigurh
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Hello Adham and thanks for dropping by our little forum.

I'm not going to get into the rules discussion because it looks like you and JimT have had a lively exchange.  I did want some clarification for one specific case, which I've discussed in other forums.  You can consider it trivia if you'd like.

Some people like myself don't like any of these new water-based glues.  Mainly, the bond is so strong that it tends to ruin the blade, and with blades getting more and more expensive, that's a bit of a drag.

So let's say I use regular rubber cement and let it air out for a few days and it indeed passed the ENEZ, would the racket be legal despite the fact that I used what is technically an illegal substance? Or once the VOC's are gone, will it be legal?  Thanks.

Very good question. In fact, all glues, even water-based glues have some VOCs in them. There is also VOC in between the rubber and the sponge. This is why we always recommend to air the rubbers for at least 48 hours (72 hours will remove all traces of VOCs). So to answer your question, yes, if you aired your racket long enough and no more VOCs are detectable, then you are OK. But you have to be honest, don't use any additives, and don't play with the racket while the glue still has VOCs. But then you should be responsible for your own health issues. Believe me, even though many players underestimate the negative health effects of VOCs in glue, it is really a health problem in the long term. This is a fact and all medical and scientific research proves it.
I believe that the manufacturers will come up with better blades that will not splinter or break when the water-based glues are used.

Adham

I think this pretty much ends the debate. (Bold added by me for emphasis.)

Thank you, BeaverMD, for locating and posting this.

If the president of the ITTF says that gluing your racquet with "unadulterated" rubber cement is legal, then it's legal (assuming you let it air out). The end.

-------------
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I do my gluing process in my garage and never had a dust issue, you?

Just in my living room with all the windows opened. My whole house is dusty despite regular dusting.

Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 7:49pm
Can I just add this question:  What in the world is Adham thinking when he says mfgrs will make blades that are resistent to water glue?

Perhaps he thinks butterfly will genetically modify the hinoki tree?  Or totally change the woods they're using?  Hello, it's called sealing your blade and anybody can do it.

-------------

Posted By: bluebucket
Date Posted: 07/14/2011 at 8:03pm
Maybe he's going to open up the restrictions on blades so we can have some made with alloy or composite top plys :D

Date Posted: 07/15/2011 at 4:39am
I tested using RC today. I applied it to two sheets of used 729 Super FX. They really sucked up the stuff and the sponges domed for about 5 minutes. Though the glue layers on both sponges and blade looked a bit uneven right after application, they dried smoothly. The smell was bad during application but after adhering the rubbers to the blade the fumes coming off were minimal and I expect they should mostly be gone by tomorrow.

Date Posted: 07/15/2011 at 7:20pm

Adham

I'm still trying to figure out what Adham considers a fact.  If VOCs were as dangerous as he implies then Elmer's rubber cement wouldn't be so easily purchased by any kid at the local drug store.  Heck, spray paints are locked up, but not rubber cement.  If it were really that dangerous, then it would not sell so cheaply.  The liability risk would cause the price to increase by quite a bit.  I'd love to see the scientific research that proves that gluing a racket every month or so with rubber cement is dangerous to your health.

Note also how he recommends airing the racket.  Where should it be aired?  And why is that any safer than airing it out while playing with it?  Most playing venues are well ventilated and large, with high ceilings.  Most homes are much more confined.  If Adham is concerned about player health he should be more clear about the "safe" way to air a racket.  BTW, does the ITTF suggest that playing venues be tested for VOC levels.  I'd be willing to bet that some venues are loaded with VOCs - especially newly constructed or freshly painted ones.  The amount of VOCs added by even a hundred speed glued rackets is probably not significant by comparison.

I'm for the speed glue ban because speed gluing promoted a high frequency of exposure by players to a lot of VOCs of various types.  But the ITTF's current zero tolerance takes a good idea and turns it into a silly one.  There is no scientific justification for it (zero tolerance) that I'm aware of.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 07/15/2011 at 11:44pm
Very logical points Jay. You are keeping it real.

C'mon RC opposition, Ur turn.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 07/16/2011 at 12:05am
I buy my rubber cement at the arts and crafts section of Walmart or at an arts and crafts store.  It is relatively cheap compared to water based glue.   I go through one jar of Elmer's rubber cement every 3 months.

The volatile fumes dissipate quickly.  The key letter/word in VOC is volatile which means they volatile components are soon gone.  The end result is similar to water based glues.  I have never experience any enhanced performance using Elmer's rubber cement.

I use water based glues for gluing 0X rubbers and on my best paddle otherwise I use rubber cement.    

-------------
I TT therefore I am

Posted By: RedMan
Date Posted: 07/16/2011 at 4:30am
If I remember correctly the reason speed glue was banned was because of the VOC's. Not to slow the game down. Didn't a guy die in Japan from being in a room while he was gluing up his bat? I could be wrong. I thought I heard something like that. Now think about this. How many times have you gone to a tourney. Went into the little glue room only to come out with a headache. Remember those little rooms. I have never used SG but just going into the room I would get one. I think the ITTF banned the use of VOC's to protect what little brain cells we have. That's fine with me. But I do use Elmers glue. Not for the effect. Which I don't think there is any. But it's cheaper than the water based you buy at Paddle Palace or other stores. When I glue a sheet of rubber to my bat I don't glue the rubber. I just put a few coats on the bat and it works fine. And I only get new rubber about 4 times a year. And yes I do air the paddle out over night. And It has been checked and it did pass. The other reason I think they banned SG is because some people were getting out of hand with the different things they were mixing with the glue. I know a guy that was mixing gasoline and and a few other things to get the most out of it. I have used the same setup with and without Elmers Glue. No difference. At all. So all you people just looking for stuff to complain about at the ITTf. Get a grip. You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all the people happy all of the time.

-------------
Blade: Victas Koji Matsush*ta FL

FH: Donic Bluefire JP03 in 2.0 Black

BH: TSP P1r Curl 1.5-1.7 Red

Date Posted: 07/16/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by RedMan RedMan wrote:

... When I glue a sheet of rubber to my bat I don't glue the rubber. I just put a few coats on the bat and it works fine....

Redman,

When peeling off the rubber, does the RC end up on the sponge anyway or does most of it stay on the blade and can be easily removed from the blade?

If this method works, it sure saves the work, however little, of removing it from the sponge.

Thanks.

Date Posted: 07/16/2011 at 4:07pm
You're right. I've noticed that.

Now that I've tried RC, I'm not going back to wbgs, especially after Free Chack left an entire unremovable film on each of my rubbers.

Posted By: RedMan
Date Posted: 07/17/2011 at 1:10am
I don't take the rubber off very often. Only when I am going to replace out. So I really don't pay too much attention when I take it off. But from what I do remember there is not that much.

-------------
Blade: Victas Koji Matsush*ta FL

FH: Donic Bluefire JP03 in 2.0 Black

BH: TSP P1r Curl 1.5-1.7 Red

Date Posted: 07/17/2011 at 1:50am
The guy who died, I read, died of a severe allergic reaction, much like some people react to peanuts.  Still, it was enough to be the straw that broke the camel's back I think.  That or it just became another reason to list for what the ittf already planned to do.

I suppose now that it's over I can see their motivations, but I still miss playing with glue.

-------------

Posted By: bluebucket
Date Posted: 07/17/2011 at 2:24am
Years ago a kid died from sleeping near a can of speed glue with out lid but that was back at least in the 90s. There was a more recent death I think which help the latest total ban along. It's not those couple of things that caused the ban though. Mostly it's the long term health effects of long term use of these kinds of glues, which are 100% proven to give you cancer in the end as well as other general health problems

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 07/17/2011 at 9:45pm
Cole, I never played with SG, but Rob sent me a bottle of tuner (back before ITTF made it clear it waz a No-Go) and I really miss what a sheet of tuned Bryce can do in the countering and looping game. Yeah, we gotz T05, but it is rediculous expensive. :)

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net