Print Page | Close Window

Blocking Advice?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66770
Printed Date: 04/23/2024 at 4:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Blocking Advice?
Posted By: TonyL
Subject: Blocking Advice?
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 7:28am
I'm having serious issues with my blocking against heavy topspin and would really appreciate if someone had any tips on fixing it. 

The player puts heavy topspin on the ball and the only option going through my mind is to block. (Both backhand and forehand). However, once I try to block it, it'll go off the table. I'll close my racket angle further, but it's quite hard to adjust to it. Half the time, if I close my racket, it goes hitting off the edge of the racket.

How should I deal with heavy topspin balls from any side of the table?

If I should counter-loop it or to block it differently, how?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: reflecx
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 7:47am

See this video from Pingskills

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 7:51am
Get down close to the ball, take it off the bounce right away, much easier to deal with it that way. You will see the ball better and naturally make a better bat angle.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 8:02am
Originally posted by TonyL TonyL wrote:

I'm having serious issues with my blocking against heavy topspin and would really appreciate if someone had any tips on fixing it. 

The player puts heavy topspin on the ball and the only option going through my mind is to block. (Both backhand and forehand). However, once I try to block it, it'll go off the table. I'll close my racket angle further, but it's quite hard to adjust to it. Half the time, if I close my racket, it goes hitting off the edge of the racket.

Thanks.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66169&PN=2&title=topspin-balls-cannot-be-attacked

That has the pingskills video with the three options for countering heavy topspin as well as a good video from Alex Zhang, a forum member.

Another really good video is this one from forum member, xkaboomx.  It's the only time I have ever seen this on video but it sure works if you have the athleticism to execute it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVAt4LT90o

As a general rule, when blocking slow heavy topspin, be aggressive.  Don't let the ball float too high and keep the racket moving forward, not upward.  Don't start below the heavy topspin ball as any upward motion will send it off the table.  Punch blocks as a rule are better than passive statue of liberty blocks - with the punch block, the spin takes less and the racket angle matters less.  Just get behind the ball and hit it rather than reaching for it.  Even the passive blocks require you to take the ball really early and low and are almost always riskier.

Good luck!

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: APW46
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 8:40am
You can control the topspin by holding your bat steady and not playing a stroke at all, similar to how a return board works, this will certainly make you more consistent, but how effective it will be in matchplay depends on the level of your opponent because you will present him with a passive ball to attack, you can get round this at lower/intermediate levels by placing passive blocks wide or to his crossover point to keep the ball away from his power zones. Each ball on its merits though, deep heavy topspin is far harder to deal with consistently than many players give credit for.

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 9:49am
Make sure you are not dropping you hands to low in your ready position.

Posted By: larrytt
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 9:55am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

As a general rule, when blocking slow heavy topspin, be aggressive.  Don't let the ball float too high and keep the racket moving forward, not upward.  Don't start below the heavy topspin ball as any upward motion will send it off the table.  Punch blocks as a rule are better than passive statue of liberty blocks - with the punch block, the spin takes less and the racket angle matters less.  Just get behind the ball and hit it rather than reaching for it.  Even the passive blocks require you to take the ball really early and low and are almost always riskier.

I was going to respond, but the above is pretty much what I was going to say. This is by far the most common reason players have trouble against slow spinny loops. (This is assuming they are using inverted.) Be aggressive against these balls, whether you are blocking or counterlooping, and if you have a good smash, don't hesitate to use it. At higher levels, players mostly counterloop these balls for winners, but a good backhand punch-block is also pretty effective. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com

Posted By: Skyline
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 10:34am
Hmmm be agressive when blocking heavy topspin? Doesn't sound like good advice to me. In fact I'm one of those players that has a hard time blocking heavy spin loops. Like the op i tend to block the ball over the table because I'm overhitting. Like apw46 said it is better to block passively with soft hands always try to block on top of the ball. Ofcourse when the ball is higher and not really deep on the table you can punch smashor loopkill it but this requires good timing and is not so easy if the ball is very heavily spun. It all depends on the quality of the heavy topspin loop but imho the best is to block soft against really heavy topspin.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Hmmm be agressive when blocking heavy topspin? Doesn't sound like good advice to me. In fact I'm one of those players that has a hard time blocking heavy spin loops. Like the op i tend to block the ball over the table because I'm overhitting. Like apw46 said it is better to block passively with soft hands always try to block on top of the ball. Ofcourse when the ball is higher and not really deep on the table you can punch smashor loopkill it but this requires good timing and is not so easy if the ball is very heavily spun. It all depends on the quality of the heavy topspin loop but imho the best is to block soft against really heavy topspin.

If you block soft against a slow but very spinny loop, the spin takes more on your racket, and it's harder to control. The harder you block against these, the less the spin takes. You have to find a balance, of course. If you block too aggressively you'll also lose control. I think the idea that apw46 was saying is that you can just stick the racket out and pop the ball back with nearly 100% consistency, but the goal of blocking is to keep the ball low, not pop it up softly. If you are trying to block low, then you will be more consistent by being more aggressive. EDIT: Perhaps block firmly might be a better description than block aggressively. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Posted By: geardaddy
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 10:49am
The PingSkills vid is good.  It gives the 3 options:
1) Passive block - Easiest to do.  A common mistake (especially if the loop is coming at you slowly) is o push forward into the block, causing it to go long.  Make sure to close that paddle angle, catch it before the top of the bounce, and resist wanting to move the racket forward as you block.
2) Smash return - IMO, this is harder to do correctly.  It is the most aggressive way to respond, but you must come downward and follow through going over the ball, or you will hit it long.  Very satisfying when you do it right, and sometimes makes your opponent think twice about giving you that spinny loop again.
3) Counter loop return.  This is not that hard to do, and you can do it in a slow controlled motion or more aggressively.  You just have to commit to it.  Also, you can still return this way (or might be your only choice other than a chop return) if the ball has traversed past the top of the bounce.

There are other more advanced blocking options too:
4) Chop block.  With your paddle angle pretty much vertical, make a quick downward motion as the ball contacts the paddle.  This is a good skill to have, and oftentimes really throws off the looper because the ball comes back to them short and dead.
5) Sidespin block.  At the point of contact cut across the ball from side to side.  This is really just a different way of doing a passive block, but it can be an effective way to return the ball very short.
6) Cutting-swipe block.  I made this name up, but I'm referring to that advanced funky block that you see Kenta Matsudira doing (I've seen Ma Long and some others do it too).  There's some slow motion video stuff of him doing it.  It's pretty freaky.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I was going to respond, but the above is pretty much what I was going to say. This is by far the most common reason players have trouble against slow spinny loops. (This is assuming they are using inverted.) Be aggressive against these balls, whether you are blocking or counterlooping, and if you have a good smash, don't hesitate to use it. At higher levels, players mostly counterloop these balls for winners, but a good backhand punch-block is also pretty effective. 
-Larry Hodges
I read your blog daily so I can't say I wasn't subconsciously guilty of plaigarism.  On the other hand, this is one of the things I have a lot of experience with because I can't move around well enough to be a mid-distance looper and one of my junior clubmates has an extremely spinny forehand loop.  As he has gotten better, I've had to learn and relearn how to block his loops and it's now at a point where I have to get better at counter looping and kick blocking because blocking over the table is getting too risky and because he is staying closer to the table, the loops are coming in deeper.

When I counter a very spinny ball with an aggressive stroke over the table, it looks amazing to the uninitiated, but they don't realize that the seemingly easier shot (passive block) is actually riskier (in my experience at least because it pops up the ball even if it gets it on the table).

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 11:30am

-Larry Hodges
I read your blog daily so I can't say I wasn't subconsciously guilty of plaigarism.  On the other hand, this is one of the things I have a lot of experience with because I can't move around well enough to be a mid-distance looper and one of my junior clubmates has an extremely spinny forehand loop.  As he has gotten better, I've had to learn and relearn how to block his loops and it's now at a point where I have to get better at counter looping and kick blocking because blocking over the table is getting too risky and because he is staying closer to the table, the loops are coming in deeper.

When I counter a very spinny ball with an aggressive stroke over the table, it looks amazing to the uninitiated, but they don't realize that the seemingly easier shot (passive block) is actually riskier (in my experience at least because it pops up the ball even if it gets it on the table).

I agree that a weak passive block is what the looper is looking for, such that the looper can then easily counter with an even more aggressive loop or smash return.  But, a good passive block doesn't mean that you are popping the ball up.  Rather the idea is to really close that paddle angle and absorb the spin (i.e. don't push forward into the block) so that the block is low and short.  The looper will be forced to move in closer to the table or possibly they won't be able to loop the return at all if you keep it short enough.

Also, if you are limited on movement in your game then learn the chop block.  It is a very effective spin variation return.  I find it to be more natural on the backhand side.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 12:43pm

I find the passive block to be more effective against topspin drives or medium spin loops or loops where the looper is far away from the table but it might be my touch. 

If I had to guess, the OP is complaining about the spinny third ball opening or similar loops.  In that case, a passive block is trouble.  It's hard to be consistent against this shot without the counterloop, but for a player who is starting out, better active than sorry.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 1:13pm

It is good advice, and it is obvious when you watch good players blocking.  If you are passive and try to use your blade like a shield you are hosed, and I don't think that is what APW is suggesting (I have played him and see how he blocks).  I know it is counterintuitive, but it is well worth time to try what larry et al suggest.  But perhaps the language we are using is obscuring the fact that people are saying the same thing. 

Perhaps another way to put it is, don't be passive with your feet when you are blocking!!  Too many people block just moving their arms.  You actually need to move your body into the same good position you would be for a loop and counter, not just move your arm/paddle as if it was some sort of shield.   Of course, when you move your feet to get in position to block, you will almost always follow through some, but the ball will be much more likely to go where you want it.  At the same time, you do need soft hands too.  Don't hold the paddle in a death grip.

Edit:  Just read what APW said and this is one of the rare times I disagree with him.  One can do it the way he is suggesting (mimicking a return board) but I don't think it will be as consistent or effective as something a bit more active, and if the ball is not exactly where you want it to be you will be erratic.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 1:15pm

I find the passive block to be more effective against topspin drives or medium spin loops or loops where the looper is far away from the table but it might be my touch. 

If I had to guess, the OP is complaining about the spinny third ball opening or similar loops.  In that case, a passive block is trouble.  It's hard to be consistent against this shot without the counterloop, but for a player who is starting out, better active than sorry.

The common problem with the passive block is that one concentrates on just trying to handle the spin and they give a weak block to the middle of the table.  There's nothing particularly wrong with a passive block return though.  Once one understands the touch and paddle angle better then a good short and low block is ok and can diffuse the counterattack.  Even better though is to be able to consciously direct the block to the corners.  A very effective response is simply to direct the block wide to their opponents forehand corner.  Be like Waldner!

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 1:18pm
Also what geardaddy just said.

And of course NL raised a good point too, slow superspinny loops are different from fast loop drives.

But what I wrote, that you really have to make sure to move your feet, is always true.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Perhaps another way to put it is, don't be passive with your feet when you are blocking!!  Too many people block just moving their arms.  You actually need to move your body into the same good position you would be for a loop and counter, not just move your arm/paddle as if it was some sort of shield.   Of course, when you move your feet to get in position to block, you will almost always follow through some, but the ball will be much more likely to go where you want it. 

This is huge, stepping to the ball when blocking. When players reach for the ball instead of stepping, they often open their racket as they do so. I think it's because they are no longer doing a shot they have practiced regularly, and so their subconscious no longer knows what racket angle to reflexively use, and so falls back on beginner habits.
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 1:31pm
I have to say, being a child of the 38mm ball, I am guilty ( along with many other older players) of treating heavy topspin with too much respect out of habit, especially when under pressure. The top kids who have only ever known 40mm rip through heavy loop like they are shelling peas, its quite disconcerting. 

-------------

Posted By: koshkin
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 2:46pm
I am with Larry on this one.

I am a mediocre blocker at best, but I live off of a very heavy opening loop, so I have a good idea what kinds of blocks work against it.

I found that I do my best with people who only adjust their arm for blocking, so rather than trying to loop into wide corners, I usually aim for the body or to a spot that is just within reach, but outside the comfort zone.

At my playing level, people do not hit through my spin with all that much success (higher level people probably can), but I suspect that is partly due to the sidespin component: I get a lot of movement on the bounce.

I get into the most trouble with people who move to the ball and calmly use my pace and spin to re-direct it toward some uncomfortable location.

ILya

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 4:32pm
Well I think a passive block is the basis to deal with a heavy spin loop. If you can block the heavy topspin consistently you can start to be more agressive. Pingskills and geardaddy are saying the same thing. Telling someone who has problems with blocking heavy topspin to be agressive is the same thing as telling a beginner how to counter loop when he can not even counter hit properly.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 4:42pm

Well I think a passive block is the basis to deal with a heavy spin loop. If you can block the heavy topspin consistently you can start to be more agressive. Pingskills and geardaddy are saying the same thing. Telling someone who has problems with blocking heavy topspin to be agressive is the same thing as telling a beginner how to counter loop when he can not even counter hit properly.

Not quite true - I cannot passively block heavy topspin but I am a good blocker for my level. No matter how bad a person is at blocking, the best instant advice you can give him if he is playing againat heavy topspin is to be more aggressive with his blocks.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:06pm
Behold the awesome blocking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zWyHqwufDw

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:07pm

Not quite true - I cannot passively block heavy topspin but I am a good blocker for my level. No matter how bad a person is at blocking, the best instant advice you can give him if he is playing againat heavy topspin is to be more aggressive with his blocks.

I'm not saying that you can not be a good blocker if you can not block passively against heavy topspin. But the basis of blocking is to block soft if you can do this properly it's much easier to be more agressive. I actually think Larry will agree with me. Blocking passively doesn't mean that you just stick your racket out and that you don't move towards the ball. You must be active and ready and block on top of the ball with soft hands and point to the direction where you want the ball to go. Every good blocker will tell you this. Ofcourse if you master this you can be more agressive and punch actively or counterloop. The funny thing is that I'm a blocker that always blocks very agressively and likes to hit through spin. But I learned the hard way from losing to some players who have a very heavy topspin that its more sensible to block soft against these players.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:34pm

I'm not saying that you can not be a good blocker if you can not block passively against heavy topspin. But the basis of blocking is to block soft if you can do this properly it's much easier to be more agressive. I actually think Larry will agree with me. Blocking passively doesn't mean that you just stick your racket out and that you don't move towards the ball. You must be active and ready and block on top of the ball with soft hands and point to the direction where you want the ball to go. Every good blocker will tell you this. Ofcourse if you master this you can be more agressive and punch actively or counterloop. The funny thing is that I'm a blocker that always blocks very agressively and likes to hit through spin. But I learned the hard way from losing to some players who have a very heavy topspin that its more sensible to block soft against these players.

I agree that the passive block is the basis of stroke technique with inverted rubbers as it teaches racket angles.  I agree that being able to let the racket absorb more energy is critical to taking pace off the ball (hence the need for "soft hands" and sometimes even pulling the racket backwards while blocking) as well as being steady on contact.  However, slow spinny loops do not come with pace and sometimes, they are loaded with so much counterintuitive energy that even a passive block is ineffective.  Sometimes, you need to knock some of that incoming rotational energy out of the ball and hope it works for you as outgoing pace/spin or it will just grab your rubber and shoot off.

Moreover, as Baal pointed out (and I think Larry on his blog too), when you tell someone to block aggressively, what changes isn't only that they hit the ball a bit harder - their attitude to the ball also changes.  Rather than hesitating, they try to get to it faster.  That often means taking it lower and being on top of it and that produces positive results just by itself.  It doesn't mean to smash the ball, but even if someone gets frustrated doing that, if you compare his constency smashing the ball to that with the passive block, you may find that his consistency is higher with the riskier shot.  It's one of those things about passive blocking that some people never realize - blocking softly is better for speed than for spin.  Part of the reason (and this is Larry) is that you aren't going to change your racket angles in 10 seconds, but you can hit harder in 10 seconds, and that gives you a chance to do something.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Ringer84
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:38pm
I am a TERRIBLE blocker and have no business giving advice on how to block a heavy topspin, but I'll throw this video into the ring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYnXr3n0RT8

Thoughts?

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I am a TERRIBLE blocker and have no business giving advice on how to block a heavy topspin, but I'll throw this video into the ring:

Thoughts?

It's a good video that is addressed to the level of the original question.  It's an intro to blocking along the lines of what Skyline is proposing, the only problem, IMO, being that in match situations, it is not as consistent as it is in practice because you never know exactly what is on the ball and in matches, the second ball will get eaten up by most loopers good enough to give you that first ball consistently.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 5:58pm

I agree that the passive block is the basis of stroke technique with inverted rubbers as it teaches racket angles.  I agree that being able to let the racket absorb more energy is critical to taking pace off the ball (hence the need for "soft hands" and sometimes even pulling the racket backwards while blocking) as well as being steady on contact.  However, slow spinny loops do not come with pace and sometimes, they are loaded with so much counterintuitive energy that even a passive block is ineffective.  Sometimes, you need to knock some of that incoming rotational energy out of the ball and hope it works for you as outgoing pace/spin or it will just grab your rubber and shoot off.

Moreover, as Baal pointed out (and I think Larry on his blog too), when you tell someone to block aggressively, what changes isn't only that they hit the ball a bit harder - their attitude to the ball also changes.  Rather than hesitating, they try to get to it faster.  That often means taking it lower and being on top of it and that produces positive results just by itself.  It doesn't mean to smash the ball, but even if someone gets frustrated doing that, if you compare his constency smashing the ball to that with the passive block, you may find that his consistency is higher with the riskier shot.  It's one of those things about passive blocking that some people never realize - blocking softly is better for speed than for spin.  Part of the reason (and this is Larry) is that you aren't going to change your racket angles in 10 seconds, but you can hit harder in 10 seconds, and that gives you a chance to do something.

Perhaps you have never faced a quality heavy topspin loop. It's not the same as a slow high arcing 'spinny loop'. Against these balls you can hit through the ball and be agressive because you have loads of time before the spin kicks in.

Btw take my opinion with a grain of salt I'm just a mediocre 2300 usatt rating level blocker.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 6:17pm

Perhaps you have never faced a quality heavy topspin loop. It's not the same as a slow high arcing 'spinny loop'. Against these balls you can hit through the ball and be agressive because you have loads of time before the spin kicks in.

Btw take my opinion with a grain of salt I'm just a mediocre 2300 usatt rating level blocker.

I have - I've hit with 2500 players before.  However, it's quite possible that you (and APW46) are addressing this question at a level that is far removed from the practical experience of most people that would ask it.  I'm addressing it from the level of the player who is frustrated that he is facing this annoying guy who is looping spinny and slow topspins to him and he can't block a single one of them (after I drill him for 5 minutes, he understands that he was being too passive).  I am not addressing it from the perspective of Kenta Matsuidaira, who is blocking the ridiculous topspins of Xu Xin with soft blocks because he would never ask that question.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 6:34pm

I have - I've hit with 2500 players before.  However, it's quite possible that you (and APW46) are addressing this question at a level that is far removed from the practical experience of most people that would ask it.  I'm addressing it from the level of the player who is frustrated that he is facing this annoying guy who is looping spinny and slow topspins to him and he can't block a single one of them (after I drill him for 5 minutes, he understands that he was being too passive).  I am not addressing it from the perspective of Kenta Matsuidaira, who is blocking the ridiculous topspins of Xu Xin with soft blocks because he would never ask that question.

Who says the op is being too passive? It's much more common that people who can't control heavy topspin are too agressive.

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 6:37pm

I'm not saying that you can not be a good blocker if you can not block passively against heavy topspin. But the basis of blocking is to block soft if you can do this properly it's much easier to be more agressive. I actually think Larry will agree with me. Blocking passively doesn't mean that you just stick your racket out and that you don't move towards the ball.

I am pretty sure now that we are pretty much all talking about the same thing and maybe not disagreeing at all.  Obviously you can't be overly aggressive when the ball is coming at you fast and hard, you need soft hands especially against quality loops, but at the same time you can't just stick your racket out and expect to be consistent.  Words are getting in the way, as often happens. 

As for skyline's last post, it is hard to tell without seeing the OP play, but it sounds like he is just trying to use his racket as a shield when he blocks the way he describes it.  I don't know his level, but I see that a lot more at the ~1600 level and below than people being too aggressive.    

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 6:48pm
Thanks, Baal. 100% agree.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 9:33pm

Perhaps a better phrasing than blocking aggressively would be to tell them to block more firmly. But blocking is a lot more basic than looping; even a beginner can quickly learn to block firmly, and see how the spin from a loop takes on his paddle less, and thereby gain consistency. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 10:33pm

Thoughts?

What they are demonstrating in this video, and what the opening posting asks, are different things. The opening poster isn't a beginner - he even asked if he should try counterlooping against slow, spinny loops. If all he wants to do is pop the ball back weakly, where he's not worried about popping the ball up, then all he has to do is stick his racket out and block back softly, and he'll develop a consistent but weak blocking game. The spin would take on his racket more, so he'd have less control, but if he just pops the ball back weakly then the very slowness of his return would keep it on the table. If he wants to make an effective block that hits consistently, then he needs to block more firmly (i.e. more aggressively). 

If he puts a little pace on the ball but not too aggressively in a misguided attempt to be consistent, that's when it'll probably go off the end over and over. That's why beginners and intermediate players have so much trouble with slow, spinny loops. Instead, they need to block more firmly, more aggressively, so the blocks are both consistent and effective. 

You can go for a soft and low block by just sticking the racket out with a more closed angle, but this is harder to control than if you block more firmly, and will tend to pop balls up. Since the spin takes on the racket more, you have to get the racket angle almost perfectly right, while you have more leeway if you block firmly and somewhat aggressively. (On the other hand, a slower, dead block that stays low is rather easy with most non-inverted surfaces, or with less lively or less grippy inverted surfaces.) 

The video is showing something different, i.e. teaching beginners how to adjust their racket angle against heavy topspin. However, where he says the racket does not move forward, I disagree. I saw this video a few years ago when I first started my blog, and chose not to link to it for that reason. While you can block that way, it's teaching a rather poor habit, and makes things more difficult for beginning and beginning/intermediate players. A more firm block, with the racket moving forward, is easier and more consistent in making decent blocks (not pop-ups), since spin takes on it less. Players with very good slow, spinny loops usually struggle with players who block aggressively as that mostly counteracts their topspin. 

At my club, we have eight full-time coaches, seven of them from China, two former Chinese national team members, the rest former province team members. (I'm the lone non-Chinese full-time coach.) All teach blocking against spinny loops with a firm, aggressive stroke. When I slow loop in practice matches with the kids, they are taught to block aggressively (or counterloop), and they have been pretty successful in this. When they block off, over and over the Chinese coaches tell them to block more aggressively. It is against faster loops that you can mostly just stick your racket out and play off the opponent's own pace. 

When I face an inverted player who just sticks his racket out to block my loop, I'm not going to feed into this by trying to loop hard with my opening loop; I'm going to throw my slowest, spinniest loop deep on the table, and watch them block off or pop it up. I can also mess up these type of blockers by varying my spin (even dead loops) as they have to get their racket angle almost perfect to make an effective block, and that's not easy against heavy or varying spin. 

I think the opening poster was asking how he could block these spinny loops back consistently so he could win the point, not so he could just pop the ball back and hope for the best. Otherwise I'd tell him to just block as weakly as possible so the ball pops back on the table, slow but high. Instead, he should block more firmly, which will lead to consistent and effective blocks. 

-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 05/20/2014 at 11:15pm
Aha! Lots of great advice, that' exactly how it is.
I also feel, similarly to what Baal has posted here earlier, that wording does get in the way a little, at least for me and all the other less-than-very-advanced players. 
It looks like that, in order for me to effectively block a heavy topspin loop, the heavy spin that is on the incoming ball must be in contact with the surface of my racket for as short a time as possible, hence a "short lasting", or a fast, or an aggressive, or a firm block will work well...
For the reason that a longer contact gives to the incoming strong spin a chance to do the damage, a soft block, a slow block, or a gentle block will be more difficult. Hence, one must be fast and decisive during the contact when dealing with a slow heavy topspin. But, if I got it the right wayWink, it is the same as what was said previously in this thread.Embarrassed
Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, a firm block means a block where I use a fast and overpowering motion, guiding the ball over a distance as I move the racket?

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Posted By: Ringer84
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:22am
Larry,

Thanks for the insight.  It always confused me how Wang Hao was able to block Zhang Jike's loop with such an open racket angle, as can be seen at the 1:02 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUg15ECMARE

But the fact of the matter is that Wang Hao is ACCELERATING at the point of contact, so much so that his block looks more like a counter than a block to me. 

Posted By: vutiendat1337
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 2:05am
Originally posted by JacekGM<br><div>Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, a firm block means a block where I use a<b> fast and overpowering motion, guiding the ball</b> over a distance as I move the racket?</div>

[/QUOTE JacekGM
Edit: Or maybe, just maybe, a firm block means a block where I use a fast and overpowering motion, guiding the ball over a distance as I move the racket?
[/QUOTE wrote:

I am not a very good player but what I "figured out" is that simply just putting out the paddle and block a spinny loop ain't enough. I learned that I have to make the who

I am not a very good player but what I "figured out" is that simply just putting out the paddle and block a spinny loop ain't enough. I learned that I have to make the whole stroke and "guide" the ball, almost pushing it down. It is very disruptive for the attacker because the ball sinks quite low as you push it down. Against consistent loopers and at higher levels, it's not as effective and it's better to counterloop/smash it but I think this method works up to at least 2000.

-------------
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40320&title=feedbackvutiendat1337" rel="nofollow - Feedback me

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:25am

Larry,

Thanks for the insight.  It always confused me how Wang Hao was able to block Zhang Jike's loop with such an open racket angle, as can be seen at the 1:02 mark of this video:

But the fact of the matter is that Wang Hao is ACCELERATING at the point of contact, so much so that his block looks more like a counter than a block to me. 

Those backhand blocks of Wang Hao are exactly what I've written about. Because he's hitting the ball firmly, not just sticking his racket out there, he doesn't have to close his racket as much. Since the range of angles needed is less, he has more control and more consistency at a good pace, In a game situation he'd be blocking more aggressively with almost the same racket angle (just a little bit more closed). Contrary to the video referenced earlier, where it showed blocking without the racket moving forward, here Wang Hao brings his racket back into position and then drives it forward through the ball. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Posted By: Pondus
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:33am
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I believe one of the most essential things in blocking (especially high spin balls) is having your body in the proper position behind the ball. Being caught out of position, which happens easily when someone loops with varied speed/spin, makes blocking exceptionally more difficult. 

Posted By: Swiff
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 9:23am
Every time I hear of a player struggling with this I must chime in.  

A year or so ago I was having a lot of trouble blocking the super heavy topspin that would come from players slow-looping a push.  The ball is SO spinny, it seems impossible to close your racket enough.

TIP:  You DO need to close your racket, but maybe not as much as you think.  The reason why players have so much trouble blocking these, I think, is because they move their racket forward when trying to block.  When the ball is that spinny, any movement of the racket will send the ball flying off the table.  When you block, hold your racket very loose and COMPLETELY STILL.  You'll be able to get those ball back much easier.  It takes time to break the habit of moving your racket on every hit, but you'll get it.  It worked for me so well.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

A year or so ago I was having a lot of trouble blocking the super heavy topspin that would come from players slow-looping a push.  The ball is SO spinny, it seems impossible to close your racket enough.

TIP:  You DO need to close your racket, but maybe not as much as you think.  The reason why players have so much trouble blocking these, I think, is because they move their racket forward when trying to block.  When the ball is that spinny, any movement of the racket will send the ball flying off the table.  When you block, hold your racket very loose and COMPLETELY STILL.  You'll be able to get those ball back much easier.  It takes time to break the habit of moving your racket on every hit, but you'll get it.  It worked for me so well.

This might get the ball back, but it won't get it back particularly effectively, except as a change-of-pace. At higher levels, you need to put some pace on your shot. You won't get that by holding the racket completely still and relying on the incoming spin to rebound it out fast enough. That'll work against faster loops, but not against slow, spinny ones. Watch videos of higher-level players, and you'll see how they do move their racket forward as they punch the ball out. There's nothing magical or difficult about it. But if you find this successful for you, then by all means continue and I won't argue with you. (Have you watched a video of yourself to see if you really hold the racket absolutely still?)
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:03am

This might get the ball back, but it won't get it back particularly effectively, except as a change-of-pace. At higher levels, you need to put some pace on your shot. You won't get that by holding the racket completely still and relying on the incoming spin to rebound it out fast enough. That'll work against faster loops, but not against slow, spinny ones. Watch videos of higher-level players, and you'll see how they do move their racket forward as they punch the ball out. There's nothing magical or difficult about it. But if you find this successful for you, then by all means continue and I won't argue with you. (Have you watched a video of yourself to see if you really hold the racket absolutely still?)
-Larry Hodges

I understand what you mean Larry, but I think describing the motion as you've said where you just hit "firmly" is not a very good description of the right motion.  The mistake being made by those having trouble with the slow spinny loop return is that they move their racket forward into the block as if they were trying to flat hit the ball.  I think what you are describing as the correct motion is different, where you close the paddle angle and you are actually going up over the top of the ball as you move the racket forward to counteract the spin on the ball.  If this same motion was magnified it would become a full counter-loop return.

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

-Larry Hodges

I understand what you mean Larry, but I think describing the motion as you've said where you just hit "firmly" is not a very good description of the right motion.  The mistake being made by those having trouble with the slow spinny loop return is that they move their racket forward into the block as if they were trying to flat hit the ball.  I think what you are describing as the correct motion is different, where you close the paddle angle and you are actually going up over the top of the ball as you move the racket forward to counteract the spin on the ball.  If this same motion was magnified it would become a full counter-loop return.

The main difference between a block and a regular stroke is that when blocking, you cut down on the backswing and focus on taking the ball quick, and then push the racket through the ball. This is what top inverted players do when blocking (though some use more backswing to increase the speed and spin of their block), and it's easy to counter the spin this way. Others want to have no forward motion, and keep the ball on the table by simply hitting the ball softer, i.e. they are forced to do a weak shot that's mostly good as a change of pace. With modern sponges, you can more easily do this while also topspinning the ball, but you can also do this with only a light topspin, i.e. blocking almost flat with a punch block. When you block with inverted against a spinny loop, the incoming topspin rebounds out as topspin, meaning it essentially goes out like any other drive with topspin, and so you can put pace on the ball like any other topspin shot and still be consistent - and as I've pointed out, by blocking firmly or aggressively, the spin takes less on your racket. This leads to a very consistent block, where the ball goes wherever you direct it, and where you don't even have to close your racket that much, as demonstrated in video shown earlier by Wang Hao. However, others have differing views on this. Let's leave it at that. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:29am
I think I'm beginning to understand what Larry means with his firmly hit block. If I'm not mistaken Larry is basically saying to block on top of the bounce and point to the direction where you want the ball to go( push slight forward and down meaning not to hold your racket still completely but to guide the ball with your wrist. This is just basic blocking technique. I actually still consider this a passive block and not a agressive firmly hit block or whatever. For me an agressive block is a block where you not only guide ball but really hit through the ball. What I was trying to say that that is risky against very heavy topspin if you can not do the block that I would describe as passive. Swiff is making a valid point also when he says that people make mistakes when moving the racket too much forward> I think what he means is that if you move your racket before the ball is on it's highest point you can not control the topspin so in that case it's better to wait and block on top of the bounce. I agree with Geardaddy on this that Larry might use the wrong terminology.

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:51am

I think I'm beginning to understand what Larry means with his firmly hit block. If I'm not mistaken Larry is basically saying to block on top of the bounce and point to the direction where you want the ball to go( push slight forward and down meaning not to hold your racket still completely but to guide the ball with your wrist. This is just basic blocking technique. I actually still consider this a passive block and not a agressive firmly hit block or whatever. For me an agressive block is a block where you not only guide ball but really hit through the ball. What I was trying to say that that is risky against very heavy topspin if you can not do the block that I would describe as passive. Swiff is making a valid point also when he says that people make mistakes when moving the racket too much forward> I think what he means is that if you move your racket before the ball is on it's highest point you can not control the topspin so in that case it's better to wait and block on top of the bounce. I agree with Geardaddy on this that Larry might use the wrong terminology.

+1 Exactly

I don't quite buy the argument that by hitting more firmly you take away spin from the ball.  You can "punch" into the ball with the block, but you still have to deal with the spin which means you must change the angle that you go through the ball to be more downward.  It can be very hard to do this sort of block though if the loop is at a low angle or is very deep.

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:07pm
I did a search on youtube for "table tennis block," and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E07Jq-uzXHs#t=250" rel="nofollow - this video came up that shows a block against a  loop. I didn't listen to the long explanation, but went straight to the demo (250 seconds in, link should take you straight there), where it is shown exactly the way I've been describing it. Little backswing, right off the bounce, racket only slightly closed, with a firm forward motion to direct the ball where he wants it to go. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pxzoqBKfo#t=57" rel="nofollow - Here's Wang Hao blocking . (Link should take you 57 seconds in where he starts to demo it.) Note how his racket moves forward as he blocks. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLEANIwUNtI" rel="nofollow - Here's Kenta Matsudaira blocking . He may be the best blocker in the world right now. Again, note how his racket moves forward when he blocks. Yes, these are world-class players, but that's why I put up the first video, since that was more of 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI" rel="nofollow - Here's Yan An  (on left) blocking against Ma Long. At the start (first three rallies) he's mostly just blocking (though he counter-topspins a few). On the ones he blocks note how the racket moves forward. 

There are many more videos - these are just some of the first that came up. Yes, these are world-class players, but blocking is a pretty basic shot, done pretty much the same at all levels, except of course at the world-class level they block a little harder. But as the first demo shows, this is standard at all levels. 

Can someone find a video of a top player blocking against a spinny loop (not just a fast one) while drilling or in a match where they don't move their racket forward, and it's not just an occasional change-of-pace block? Sure, players can do this and keep the ball in play that way if that's all you want to do, but is this really what you want to do if you aspire to reach a decent level? 

-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

I don't quite buy the argument that by hitting more firmly you take away spin from the ball.  You can "punch" into the ball with the block, but you still have to deal with the spin which means you must change the angle that you go through the ball to be more downward.  It can be very hard to do this sort of block though if the loop is at a low angle or is very deep.

It doesn't take spin off the ball; the spin takes less on the racket, and then it rebounds out as topspin, making it easy to control at a relatively fast pace. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:14pm
I've posted enough on this topic. At this point, players will have to just look at the videos and try these things out on their own. If something different works for you, then by all means do it, and please post a video. (I might comment on that.)
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 12:33pm

I've posted enough on this topic. At this point, players will have to just look at the videos and try these things out on their own. If something different works for you, then by all means do it, and please post a video. (I might comment on that.)
-Larry Hodges

If you read my last post you will see that I understand what you mean and I agree. That way of blocking gives a very consistent block. Like Baal said begore I think the words got in the way and we agree after all.

Posted By: jrscatman
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 1:11pm

-Larry Hodges
Larry,
Thanks for all the suggestions it's been very informative and helpful!Clap

-------------
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 4:30pm
The trouble with advice on this subject is related the the standard and potential of the player. In lower levels, and with a player who is not potentially going to get much higher, the best advice is to cover the ball with a closed bat face and early contact and little forward movement, Its not fashionable and correct for higher level modern TT, but correct for that standard of play if you are looking for results and consistency. Some coaches get obsessed with what is correct at the high levels, neglecting what is possible at the lower levels.

-------------

Posted By: ttTurkey
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I have to say, being a child of the 38mm ball, I am guilty ( along with many other older players) of treating heavy topspin with too much respect out of habit, especially when under pressure. The top kids who have only ever known 40mm rip through heavy loop like they are shelling peas, its quite disconcerting. 

Hehe, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like stopping them and telling them "don't you know that you can't do that"!

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 7:42pm

The trouble with advice on this subject is related the the standard and potential of the player. In lower levels, and with a player who is not potentially going to get much higher, the best advice is to cover the ball with a closed bat face and early contact and little forward movement, Its not fashionable and correct for higher level modern TT, but correct for that standard of play if you are looking for results and consistency. Some coaches get obsessed with what is correct at the high levels, neglecting what is possible at the lower levels.

I get what you're saying about levels, but I think for every level there are active and passive blockers (the person might not have Yan An's block, but at the same time he isn't facing Ma Long).

Apart from basically relying on the opponent to miss to win points if you block passively, one of the major issues with the block where you just put the bat there is performance under pressure.

It was much worse with the 38mm ball, but even now it's difficult to keep the necessary "dead" hands while dealing with an incoming heavy topspin on a big point. Most people have an involuntary flinch (similar to the golf yips) in this situation, whereas I think it's easier to play your normal game on a big point if you are an active blocker.

I remember some pretty good players occasionally blocking the ball back almost over their opponent's head when trying to block a slow heavy topspin on a big point in the 38 mm days!

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 8:04pm
I still argue that if your feet are in the right place your hands will kind of naturally play the ball on blocks since you will subconsciously get the right angle.  Too much thinking is bad.

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 9:32pm

I guess we differ on this. I think the blocking technique taught and shown in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E07Jq-uzXHs#t=250" rel="nofollow - the video I linked to above  is pretty basic, and appropriate to beginner levels. I know I teach it pretty successfully to beginners, both juniors and adults. (I just finished teaching a 10-week adult beginning class - I've taught many of them - and I teach beginning juniors all the time.) Anyway, if you are successful coaching it a different way, then I'm not going to argue it. I also hope I'm not one of those coaches who are "obsessed" with what is correct at the high levels (except for those striving for high levels) - if so, I better not teach that adult beginning class any more. Smile
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:00pm

As LarryTT mentioned above, and I fully agree, an aggressive block of a spinny loop does not seem to be THAT difficult to learn for us grassroot players. It can be quite spectacular, too, hence the incentive to have it in one's arsenal. Unfortunately, this shot is practiced too little where I play.
Here is another video (posted on another thread yesterday by zeio)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPi4FSX05A" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPi4FSX05A
It is a recent Waldner vs Saive, so obviously we have good blocking against good looping here... see yourself for the result...

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Posted By: TonyL
Date Posted: 05/21/2014 at 11:45pm
Thank you everyone for the responses!

I'm really looking to keep improving in my game so I'll try break in the habit of aggressive blocking and counterlooping. 

Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 2:18am
It is all subject to the quality/depth/placement and amount of spin on the incoming loop, and for the right ball, the aggressive block has to be correct, but at match point down against a player who has thrown up a carrott, I know what I do. At match point up its the other option. 
In my experience, lower to mid level players lose matches regularly because they block inconsistently against slower heavy topspin, when making the opponent play another stroke could be enough to tip the balance.
Most well structured players I know, use consistent low risk topspin to comfortably beat lower rated players, as you climb the standards though, its far less effective.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I still argue that if your feet are in the right place your hands will kind of naturally play the ball on blocks since you will subconsciously get the right angle.  Too much thinking is bad.

+1

I believe that in blocking (and just about any shot) when you are in good position (for blocking you step up to the ball and look over it from above and behind)... when you do this, it just gets easier / more instinctive.

-------------

Posted By: Makelele
Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 6:44pm

I did a search on youtube for "table tennis block," and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E07Jq-uzXHs#t=250" rel="nofollow - this video came up that shows a block against a  loop. I didn't listen to the long explanation, but went straight to the demo (250 seconds in, link should take you straight there), where it is shown exactly the way I've been describing it. Little backswing, right off the bounce, racket only slightly closed, with a firm forward motion to direct the ball where he wants it to go. 

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pxzoqBKfo#t=57" rel="nofollow - Here's Wang Hao blocking . (Link should take you 57 seconds in where he starts to demo it.) Note how his racket moves forward as he blocks. 

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLEANIwUNtI" rel="nofollow - Here's Kenta Matsudaira blocking . He may be the best blocker in the world right now. Again, note how his racket moves forward when he blocks. Yes, these are world-class players, but that's why I put up the first video, since that was more of 

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI" rel="nofollow - Here's Yan An  (on left) blocking against Ma Long. At the start (first three rallies) he's mostly just blocking (though he counter-topspins a few). On the ones he blocks note how the racket moves forward. 

There are many more videos - these are just some of the first that came up. Yes, these are world-class players, but blocking is a pretty basic shot, done pretty much the same at all levels, except of course at the world-class level they block a little harder. But as the first demo shows, this is standard at all levels. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Can someone find a video of a top player blocking against a spinny loop (not just a fast one) while drilling or in a match where they don't move their racket forward, and it's not just an occasional change-of-pace block? Sure, players can do this and keep the ball in play that way if that's all you want to do, but is this really what you want to do if you aspire to reach a decent level? </span>

-Larry Hodges

I can't open Wang Hao, Kenta and Yan An videos. I am the only one?

Posted By: pingpongpaddy
Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pxzoqBKfo#t=57" rel="nofollow - Here's Wang Hao blocking . (Link should take you 57 seconds in where he starts to demo it.) Note how his racket moves forward as he blocks. 

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLEANIwUNtI" rel="nofollow - Here's Kenta Matsudaira blocking . He may be the best blocker in the world right now. Again, note how his racket moves forward when he blocks. Yes, these are world-class players, but that's why I put up the first video, since that was more of 

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI" rel="nofollow - Here's Yan An  (on left) blocking against Ma Long. At the start (first three rallies) he's mostly just blocking (though he counter-topspins a few). On the ones he blocks note how the racket moves forward. 

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Can someone find a video of a top player blocking against a spinny loop (not just a fast one) while drilling or in a match where they don't move their racket forward, and it's not just an occasional change-of-pace block? Sure, players can do this and keep the ball in play that way if that's all you want to do, but is this really what you want to do if you aspire to reach a decent level? </span>

-Larry Hodges

Its because the URLs are including the http protocol twice
eg this is wrong:-http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI
this works:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI
viz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnu66pEzrmI" rel="nofollow - testurl

-------------
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 7:41pm

Larry,

Food for thought: At TTEdge, William Henzell's block and counterhit tutorials are the same videos.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

-Larry Hodges

Fixed. I wonder if others were able to open them?
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 05/22/2014 at 10:05pm
... just the first one was accessible (the kid teaching how to block)

-------------

Posted By: tack_and_grip
Date Posted: 05/23/2014 at 12:57am

With modern sponges, you can more easily do this while also topspinning the ball, but you can also do this with only a light topspin, i.e. blocking almost flat with a punch block. When you block with inverted against a spinny loop, the incoming topspin rebounds out as topspin.

Hey Larry,

I'm finding the passive block too sensitive to touch, especially when the incoming ball is very spinny.  So I've been trying out the active block.

Is the idea to engage the topsheet and/or sponge to "rebound" the spin and use the dwell time to direct the ball back with a slight forward motion?  Should I also graze the ball to counter the incoming spin?

For fast (and spinny) loops, should I also prevent the ball from hitting too much into the blade?

Thanks.

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 05/23/2014 at 4:16pm

Very, very true.  The slow-ish, high arc heavy topspin although still a big weapon for me is not as potent as it used to be.  Definitely, the juniors are not afraid to step around to their FH and put that stuff away.  Or sometimes, BH loopkill Kreanga style.  Against my freakin' super spinny loop! The nerve of these youngsters! Smile But not until I switched to Tenergy that I realize what they are doing is now much easier due to Tenergy's (and other SGE rubbers like Rakza) shot absorption.  With the 38, they would have popped the ball towards the ceiling.  You don't even have to do a spinny opening loop against push nowadays.  Go straight to the loopkill.  Disconcerting it is, my friend.  But great observation.

Posted By: nathanso
Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 1:28am
Since nothing has been mentioned about equipment I'll add this: Different inverted rubbers have widely different reactiveness to incoming spin. The worst for blocking are highly influenced by the incoming spin (e.g loops pop way up; sidespin careens off the table) while the best are influenced by the incoming spin far less. The trick is finding an inverted rubber that can impart great spin from your stroke style but not be overly reactive to spin from your opponent. Low-throw rubbers tend to do better at this in my experience.

As a natural blocker and heavy EJ I've tried many rubbers over the past 5-6 years. Standouts for off-the-bounce blocking are: Xiom Omega IV Elite; Xiom Sigma II Pro, Haifu Blue Whale II (soft), Tenergy 25, Palio Blitz. You'll want a stiff, thick, fast blade to be an effective blocker. Balsa-cored blades 8-10mm are good for this style of play. Skinny 5 and 7-ply blades are not.

But note that equipment alone won't make you an effective blocker. The technique requires good read on the ball and a delicate touch to be able to take energy (impact as well as spin) off the ball to return it with placement and pace. Racket angle isn't everything.

-------------
BBC, SP, LP

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 4:45am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Since nothing has been mentioned about equipment I'll add this: Different inverted rubbers have widely different reactiveness to incoming spin. The worst for blocking are highly influenced by the incoming spin (e.g loops pop way up; sidespin careens off the table) while the best are influenced by the incoming spin far less. The trick is finding an inverted rubber that can impart great spin from your stroke style but not be overly reactive to spin from your opponent. Low-throw rubbers tend to do better at this in my experience.

As a natural blocker and heavy EJ I've tried many rubbers over the past 5-6 years. Standouts for off-the-bounce blocking are: Xiom Omega IV Elite; Xiom Sigma II Pro, Haifu Blue Whale II (soft), Tenergy 25, Palio Blitz. You'll want a stiff, thick, fast blade to be an effective blocker. Balsa-cored blades 8-10mm are good for this style of play. Skinny 5 and 7-ply blades are not.

But note that equipment alone won't make you an effective blocker. The technique requires good read on the ball and a delicate touch to be able to take energy (impact as well as spin) off the ball to return it with placement and pace. Racket angle isn't everything.

I don't want to sound harsh but equipment is irrelevant in this discussion. You can block with any inverted rubber and the basic principles stay the same. It's same like saying that you have to use tenergy to use a spinny loop. Ofcourse it might be easier to play a spinny loop with tenergy but it starts with good technique.

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 5:58am
Many blockers use Tenergy 05, nathanso  (myself included).  Don't overthink this.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 6:33am

What determines whether a rubber is high or low throw?- its friction capabilities.
what determines its ability to generate spin?- its friction capabilities.
We must conclude therefore that low throw and very strong spin are incompatible

-------------
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 9:14am
It pretty much doesn't matter what equipment you use, at various times you have to be able to execute a block, and there is a technique to it, just like any other shot.  Most shakehand players probably wouldn't want to build their game around that shot or use that as the basis for equipment choice.

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

What determines whether a rubber is high or low throw?- its friction capabilities.

...not necessarily, as friction is a surface property only, but the amount of spin imparted can be a function of the sponge, and/or (and most appropriately) of the topsheet-sponge combo, and how they work in tandem. The blade is a big part, too... the whole racket.
Thus, I offer that the discussion of the stroke techniques/footwork etc. is the most relevant thing that can be discussed here. For me, equipment suggestions covering the entire setup, and how to use it, are also of value as I am a mediocre player who increasingly enjoys winning by playing a good blocking game.

-------------

Posted By: DDreamer
Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 10:13am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

For me, equipment suggestions covering the entire setup, and how to use it, are also of value as I am a mediocre player who increasingly enjoys winning by playing a good blocking game. 

Did you read above? -

"It pretty much doesn't matter what equipment you use, at various times you have to be able to execute a block, and there is a technique to it, just like any other shot" 

and - 

"I don't want to sound harsh but equipment is irrelevant in this discussion. You can block with any inverted rubber and the basic principles stay the same."

-------------
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

For me, equipment suggestions covering the entire setup, and how to use it, are also of value as I am a mediocre player who increasingly enjoys winning by playing a good blocking game. 

Did you read above? -

"It pretty much doesn't matter what equipment you use, at various times you have to be able to execute a block, and there is a technique to it, just like any other shot" 

and - 

"I don't want to sound harsh but equipment is irrelevant in this discussion. You can block with any inverted rubber and the basic principles stay the same."
a hint: key words are "for me" and "also"...

-------------

Posted By: DDreamer
Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 10:33am
I don't quite understand as there is nothing to discuss regarding equipment here (other than the obvious - that you will probably find blocking a little easier if your blade is not too fast).  

-------------
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I don't quite understand as there is nothing to discuss regarding equipment here (other than the obvious - that you will probably find blocking a little easier if your blade is not too fast).  
Could you please correct how you quote my words? Thank you.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 2:25pm

...not necessarily, as friction is a surface property only, but the amount of spin imparted can be a function of the sponge, and/or (and most appropriately) of the topsheet-sponge combo, and how they work in tandem. The blade is a big part, too... the whole racket.
Thus, I offer that the discussion of the stroke techniques/footwork etc. is the most relevant thing that can be discussed here. For me, equipment suggestions covering the entire setup, and how to use it, are also of value as I am a mediocre player who increasingly enjoys winning by playing a good blocking game.

I am afraid this is just not even sensible. Spin is a function of the rubbing of the surfaces of rubber and ball. inescapably if its high throw it will be good spin, and Low throw lesser spin. If sponge or blade qualities contribute to, or detract from the spin they will show in the throw in proportion

-------------
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 3:11pm
CRISS CROSS BLOCKING PLAY
the best winning play specially designed to dominate the sport in far remotel prospetcs.. I am the Originator and hot gospeller of the CC style.

Robotic massive drills is the how can you obtain superior mastery of the blockings.

Muscular Reactivity is the most essential physical faculty you need.

Good luck.

Draw up the "magic line" as shown, mid your court, and set the robot to deliver balls right onto the line.

There is yet more and more to tell about how to obtain CC superior Mastery.
Still, I would prefer to keep silence, it is my intellection's product, my secretive weapon priceless.
I need a fresh gun meat, I need an infant prodigy, speedster with superior muscular reactivity, a snake of a boy. Nationality no matter. Yes..   

Date Posted: 05/24/2014 at 8:42pm

I am afraid this is just not even sensible. Spin is a function of the rubbing of the surfaces of rubber and ball. inescapably if its high throw it will be good spin, and Low throw lesser spin. If sponge or blade qualities contribute to, or detract from the spin they will show in the throw in proportion

PPP, I am afraid you had written that a rubber's friction capabilities decide about it's high or low throw and about it's ability to generate spin. What I wrote as a response was that a rubber's sponge is also important in generating spin on strokes. Do you still find it not sensible what I wrote?

-------------

Posted By: tt4me
Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 3:19am
You guys kind of have it right, but there is more to creating spin than friction.  If it was just a matter of friction then spin would be determined solely by the tangential paddle speed and all decent rubbers would generate the same spin.  Spin is determine by how much the top sheet stretches across the surface and snaps back.  The snapping back adds to the tangential surface speed and generates extra spin.   It should be obvious that the sponge must let the top sheet stretch and aid the top sheet in returning to its normal position without absorbing too much energy.  Oh, and yes, sponges absorb energy and don't generate it.

I still don't know why you guys talk in terms of throw angle when you can't really define it or what determines of the throw angle is high or low.

The ratio of spin to speed is good enough.

Back to blocking.  You can block with anything.  It is easier to block with slower and less spinny rubbers if you are only worried about getting the ball back on the table.  Blocking with T05 requires a more active approach.  The paddle must be angled much more to compensate for incoming spin but what is nice about T05 is that an fast incoming loop will return with a lot of topspin that will help keep the ball on the table. 

Why does this happen?  Because the top spin will push the top sheet of the T05 down but when the top sheet rebounds the ball's spin will be reversed and go back as top spin even though the blocker didn't make an active stroke.  There is a Pathfinderpro video that shows this.  The higher the ability to generate spin the more the paddle must be angled to compensate for that spin.

Another trick is when to block.  I don't agree with those that say on should block off the bounce.  The reason why is that if the ball contacts the paddle below the net then the ball must rise to go over the net.  If the ball is still rising as it goes over the net the ball will either go long or bounce high so the attacker has yet another easy ball to attack.

However, if the blocker waits too long and hits the ball at the peak then the returned ball will bounce up about 0.8 of the contact height.   Blocking a ball that has bounced up 15 inches means that it will bounce up 12 inches on the opponents side give or take a bit.  For best results balls should be blocked when they rise just a little bit higher than the net so the ball can be hit low and flat over the net.  Good SP players figure this out by trial and error.  If the ball goes over the the net horizontally 7 inches above the table the ball will only bounce up about 80% of that height. This means the other guy will have to hit the ball up over the net or loop it to keep the ball low.  Now the blocker's goal is to hit the ball low and flat over the net so the other guy can't loop the ball.

-------------
Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802 1.5mm, the Ball Whacker is revived!<br />Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802-40 1.8mm my back up<br />BCX5+H3+802-1 1.8mm New but promising.<br />

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 9:33am
 tt4me, +1.
However, as per  "It is easier to block with slower and less spinny rubbers if you are only worried about getting the ball back on the table. " - who wants to achieve just that? I want to devastate the opposition when I block!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 9:59am
TT4me,

Blocking early is often what is meant by "off the bounce". Perhaps a better phrase is "on the rise" and don't let the ball get too high or the angles are tricky to adjust for without practice which is hard to simulate. One of the most common mistakes that people make is that they block with the same angle and position against spinny balls, whether they are early or late. When they are early, the spin takes less and the angle can be more open. When they are late, the racket is harder to keep above the elbow while coming forward and the balls rise often affects the angle of incidence, leading to bad blocks. Since we are discussing blocking with modern inverted, short pips are interesting but not truly comparable as they don't react as much to spin. You can often block below the net with inverted and get a loop-like ball if the incoming ball has heavy enough topspin.   I remember seeing a 2300 junior looping to his coach and all she did was cover the ball without forward motion at a below 30 degree horizontal angle to make him have to generate enough topspin to get another ball loop.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 10:04am

PPP, I am afraid you had written that a rubber's friction capabilities decide about it's high or low throw and about it's ability to generate spin. What I wrote as a response was that a rubber's sponge is also important in generating spin on strokes. Do you still find it not sensible what I wrote?

Originally posted by jacekgm jacekgm wrote:

not necessarily, as friction is a surface property only, but the amount of spin imparted can be a function of the sponge, and/or (and most appropriately) of the topsheet-sponge combo, and how they work in tandem.

If by this you mean that its possible to have low throw and high spin concurrently (or high throw and less spin)then I disagree with you. Whether or not sponge qualities can effect the friction performance of the rubber is a separate issue.
The sponge might increase or lessen the spin but at the same time it will increase or lessen the throw, because both spin and throw result from the rubber brushing the ball.

-------------
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 10:11am
It's quite possible to have high spin and low throw. The real issue is whether it can be done with low ball speeds and with/without parabolic trajectories.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 10:45am
Its common sense. If the rubber grips the ball enough to spin the ball, it is also gripping it enough to throw it up.
To believe otherwise, is to set aside facts which can easily be verified by simply by bouncing a ball on a bat in the commonest test known for deciding how spinny a setup is.
But I am not going to pursue it further, as constant repetition makes for boring threads

-------------
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Posted By: unkn0wn0ne
Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 11:58am
Some issues to consider (from what I have heard.... I don' block unless I am caught at table as I think I am a bad blocker and tend to chop and lob-loop exclusively):-

The combination of blade, (re)glue, sponge & top-sheet also may have effects on block behavior.

A carbon blade may be the stiffest and blade alone may be stable and great for blocking especially fact punch blocking right off the bounce (almost relooping) . An arylate or Kevlar blade may not be that stiff as carbon but may be next best for power punch blocking.

Non composite blades in general may have relatively more flex and smaller sweet spots though there are stiff non-composite blades available but heavier maybe but then again the heavier the blade , it may be better for blocking .

Soft and / or reglued sponge has lot more dwell time and probably create more outgoing reversed top spin when blocking against incoming topspin or generated top-spin against incoming smash.

I personally have most problems blocking against smashes with little spin and so afraid of them and tend to back up and chop against hitters which only compounds the problem LOL

It may not be a good idea to block mid-bounce (when spin is maximum) .and ball is rising ??? and better to block right off the bounce or when the ball starting to drop . Some top positional parasitic blockers (who became so not by choice but maybe because they are big and or slow on their feet) can cleverly position themselves 2 or 3 feet from table and block forever. They are parasitic because they feed of opponents’ spin and speed and use it against them by angling the ball and running the opponents all over the place laterally till they eventually miss.

I was also told to let the ball meet the racket at the bottom (closest point on racket from floor) and let the ball ride up entire length of the racket to control incoming topspin better but then watching some of the best of the best like Waldner…….they seem to block with an open racket ……………..and Desmond Douglas another great blocker ….I have no freaking idea what he is doing (may be neither does he himself probably LOL) and used to drive opponents crazy. Bohm seemed to another great blocker.

Eric Boggan had that sick block where he would take a full blown opponent’s loop and drop it totally dead inches over net (using the anti side same color LOL)

The touch block or muffle (wrong word ???) block or drop block is where you absorb all incoming spin or speed by slightly pulling back racket rapidly during contact. I assume this would create a no spin return or a return even with some slight back spin ?

Of course the best weapon is the side chop block and even better one is the reverse side chop block in which the ball has heavy back spin and side spin. If you can mix this up with regular blocks it is even more effective.

Some Seemiller or penhold grip players can create some very heavy side blocks (but not side chop block).
Kim Taek Soo used to have a sick side block.

Seems to me that most pros use a less tacky top-sheet to prevent problems from blocking since any topsheet that will create more spin will also react equally negatively against incoming spin. But with reglued sponge pros control their blocks better.(In early 70’s Chinese came up with heavy top-sheet spin but Europeans (Hungarians . Yugoslavs) answered with reglued sponge spin in late 70 s) .

Does anyone really block anymore anyway LOL . It seems they all back up 4 to 5 feet and counter-loop the crap out of the ball from both wings, forehand & backhand 

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by unkn0wn0ne unkn0wn0ne wrote:

Does anyone really block anymore anyway LOL . It seems they all back up 4 to 5 feet and counter-loop the crap out of the ball from both wings, forehand & backhand 

Not many players of any standard build their game around blocking, especially shakehand players. This "priceless secret weapon" that Igor thinks can be the basis of a high level game is fairly well contradicted by long experience of what actually works in modern table tennis, which is why it is so secret (i.e. nobody has actually seen it work)-----and also probably why he whines so much about rubbers thicker than 1.6 mm, composite blades, modern serves, Tenergy, Chinese players, and pretty much all of modern table tennis.

A lot of rallies do have counter-looping, especially at higher levels. I find it beautiful. But watch more closely the shots that aren't quite so spectacular but still essential even among the top 5 players in the world.  Every player has to be able to execute a block from time to time.  If you can't execute a block reliably you need to learn how, and it should not matter what equipment you are using.  And there Igor has it right.  Practice and a little coaching go a long way. 

Posted By: tt4me
Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 1:22pm

Its common sense. If the rubber grips the ball enough to spin the ball, it is also gripping it enough to throw it up.
Yes, the same force that creates spin also will move the ball tangentially as well as spin the ball.

To believe otherwise, is to set aside facts which can easily be verified by simply by bouncing a ball on a bat in the commonest test known for deciding how spinny a setup is.
But I am not going to pursue it further, as constant repetition makes for boring threads
However, if we define a 0 degree throw angle as angle from horizontal then the throw angle is
arctan(VerticalVelocity/HorizontalVelocity).  If the horizontal velocity is high relative to the vertical velocity the throw angle will still be low.  This is why the spin to speed ratio is enough.

Blocking just take practice.

About the "just get the ball back" comment.  There hasn't been much mention if where to place  the ball.  I find this to be key.  A good block to the opponent's 'sweet spot' will still be a losing shot.   Igorponger's criss cross blocker was very good at blocking to specific locations and maneuvering people at of position.  Criss cross blocking seemed to be his only tool but he is very good at using it.

-------------
Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802 1.5mm, the Ball Whacker is revived!<br />Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802-40 1.8mm my back up<br />BCX5+H3+802-1 1.8mm New but promising.<br />

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by TonyL TonyL wrote:

Thanks.

How? From a radical standpoint, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Work on whatever aspects of the game that put you in that awkward situation, first.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Yes, the same force that creates spin also will move the ball tangentially as well as spin the ball.

However, if we define a 0 degree throw angle as angle from horizontal then the throw angle is
arctan(VerticalVelocity/HorizontalVelocity).  If the horizontal velocity is high relative to the vertical velocity the throw angle will still be low.  This is why the spin to speed ratio is enough.

Blocking just take practice.

About the "just get the ball back" comment.  There hasn't been much mention if where to place  the ball.  I find this to be key.  A good block to the opponent's 'sweet spot' will still be a losing shot.   Igorponger's criss cross blocker was very good at blocking to specific locations and maneuvering people at of position.  Criss cross blocking seemed to be his only tool but he is very good at using it.

Sometimes I block slow enough to an opponent's crossover point to entice them to bend or shuffle and attack with FH topspin. Since they are off balance, they are not really able to get everything behind the ball. Even if they make good impact, the only viable angle is usually down my FH  line, where I am waiting to block cross court. Opponent is often too off balance to recover to get to that ball. if he does, well, the BH corner is wide open too. If they manage to make it crosscourt, it is usually a slow ball or a poor consistency power shot with no chance to continue attack if it lands.

Even some advanced players with good speed and footwork fall for this.

I call it the 1-2-3 system of blocking.

1 - block to crossover with only enough pace to make them realize they can still FH attack, but don't really get their position set enough for balance/recovery

2- block to wide forehand, watch them watch the ball go by them, or watch them emergency spazz out and barely get to the ball for a weak return

3- IF ball comes back, wide BH is wide open and opponent is likely already wiped on lying on floor with two broken ankles trying to quickly recover from poor footwork move or too far a lunge.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 5:19pm
I guess this is something like criss-cross blocking if you look at the # 2 and #3 block directions, but it is all setup by a weak block to middle (#1), an opponent's desire to attack while not in great position or balance.

With the 1-2-3 system, you are seeking to take advantage of an opponent's over-eagerness to FH attack.

Not everyone is brain-dead FH attack happy at all cost, and also better players with better footwork will have better balance and recovery. Even so, many who choose to power attack you down your FH line open themselves up to a crosscourt fast block ace. It is not  that hard to fast block, simply get down and see the ball, hold racket firm and opponent is giving you all the pace and spin to use against him. Just get to the spot with a firm bat and when you are looking over the ball, adjusting the bat angle is instinctive. Opponent is expecting a winner and has little clue that you will block it, let alone by him for a winner.

The better players who are in good balance & position of course step around ALL the way to give then suddenly every possible angle to hit with either spin or pace. Giving up the weak block to get them in this trap can often get you trapped.

Then is goes back to what zeio is saying... why give up the gopher ball in the first place.

Still, often, it is because the opponent is doing something(s) better than we are and can pretty much do whatever (s)he wants. Sometimes, the difference in class it too much and in the end, it doesn't matter. Still, even with the big boyz, it profits you to practice effective tactics and shots, even if the match result will be an overwhelming loss.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/25/2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

CRISS CROSS BLOCKING PLAY
the best winning play specially designed to dominate the sport in far remotel prospetcs.. I am the Originator and hot gospeller of the CC style.

Robotic massive drills is the how can you obtain superior mastery of the blockings.

Muscular Reactivity is the most essential physical faculty you need.

Good luck.

Draw up the "magic line" as shown, mid your court, and set the robot to deliver balls right onto the line.

There is yet more and more to tell about how to obtain CC superior Mastery.
Still, I would prefer to keep silence, it is my intellection's product, my secretive weapon priceless.
I need a fresh gun meat, I need an infant prodigy, speedster with superior muscular reactivity, a snake of a boy. Nationality no matter. Yes..   

Igor, please don't post this kind of information on a public forum, imagine what could happen if it fell into the wrong hands...

Date Posted: 05/26/2014 at 1:47am
TT blogging is kind of an interesting phenomenon... here, a guy writes the OP asking for advice how to play a block against a heavy loop, at various positions around the table. Some pieces of advice follow, some of them very excellent. Some people convert this into discussion of what makes a rubber spinny. Some people, for some reason, feel that this is another opportunity to recommend/advertise their preferred criss-cross blocking style (now it becomes really different from the OP). Some other people conclude (!) that blocking is generally not good in TT because the best modern players are not really blockers... oh, boy... quo vadis "gens una summus"... fortunately, on the way, the OP got his/it's answers. Good night.

-------------

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 05/26/2014 at 4:04am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Sometimes I block slow enough to an opponent's crossover point to entice them to bend or shuffle and attack with FH topspin. Since they are off balance, they are not really able to get everything behind the ball. Even if they make good impact, the only viable angle is usually down my FH  line, where I am waiting to block cross court. Opponent is often too off balance to recover to get to that ball. if he does, well, the BH corner is wide open too. If they manage to make it crosscourt, it is usually a slow ball or a poor consistency power shot with no chance to continue attack if it lands.

Even some advanced players with good speed and footwork fall for this.

I call it the 1-2-3 system of blocking.

1 - block to crossover with only enough pace to make them realize they can still FH attack, but don't really get their position set enough for balance/recovery

2- block to wide forehand, watch them watch the ball go by them, or watch them emergency spazz out and barely get to the ball for a weak return

3- IF ball comes back, wide BH is wide open and opponent is likely already wiped on lying on floor with two broken ankles trying to quickly recover from poor footwork move or too far a lunge.

Very nice breakdown there.

You guys are in for a treat. I've caught myself on video getting blocked down per the descriptions above. Reproduced here for educational purposes.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net