Print Page | Close Window

PC + D09c

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90460
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 9:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PC + D09c
Posted By: Rollko
Subject: PC + D09c
Date Posted: 07/17/2021 at 3:04pm
Hi all,

I've started using Primorac Carbon with Dignics 09c and the results are promising.

When looping, the stiffness of the blade helps consistency but requires a swifter, more accelerated motion, as there is no flex in the blade and no sponge-sinking effect from the rubber. Essentially, you get what you put in, and there is no flex/sponge to help you out.

My current PC is at 86g. However, I've been toying with an idea of going even lighter, somewhere round 80g in a hope to increase that acceleration on looping and serving even further (My body build is fairly slim).

Would such a lighter version have any negative impact on stability, blocking, smashing, consistency etc? I would hope that the Tamca carbon would still hold well and provide sufficient stiffness and sweetspot even if the overall blade is lighter?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Zwill
Date Posted: 07/17/2021 at 4:45pm
I have 2 PCs one black tag and one silver. I love my old black tag, it is 89g and used it back in the speed glue era with Bryce. (Kreanga copy paste basically) And for a long time with FX-S on both sides.

Weight has less impact on the blade than people claim/think, you can have a fast and stable blade even if it's light. What will be more of an issue is the balance of the blade. A lighter blade will be more head heavy, thus straining your wrist more especially on backhand. (especially with heavier rubbers like D09c)

Also I think you will have a really hard time to get a 80g PC... I remember the old BTY catalogue from my childhood and PC was listed as 95g, one of the heaviest BTY blades.

If you want a similar blade as PC but light, that is the Schlager Light (if you can find one). Or maybe a Garaydia with tamca?
If you want flex you can try to get the Effort blade from BTY, it has light copies and it is more flexy for sure as it is not so thick.

But honestly a 86g PC is pretty light already and I would not wanna change that.

I disagree with no sinking in effect... Thick hinoki outer ply has about as much sinking effect as one can wish for, this is the biggest benefit of hinoki. And thick hinoki is stable and consistent, and probably is the best for blocking and counter topspinning above the table.

If you want to do some blasphemy you can grind down the head size of your PC and reduce the weight.

Posted By: Rollko
Date Posted: 07/17/2021 at 5:44pm
That kind of blasphemy is exactly what I did with my old (originally) 96g TBS. That actually made me realise that I enjoy stiffer blades, as smaller head will make the blade inevitably stiffer.

I'm using light short pips on the backhand so the overall setup is sitting at 173g. I am tempted to go down even further - but given what you're saying, will a lighter blade consequently become more head heavy? I've played with a 166g set up, but that one had a smaller (and lighter) D09c glued on (with a 1cm gap at the bottom) and felt fairly easy to swing - perhaps because it was more handle heavy?

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 07/17/2021 at 6:52pm
PC + D09c is Timo Boll's setup now... I've actually mulled over sth similar, maybe PC with Hurricane 8-80 or sth like that, PC for the speed and tacky rubbers for the spin. 

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Posted By: Zwill
Date Posted: 07/17/2021 at 6:58pm
I think in this case you are ok. Short pips are light <40g, I was assuming 2 heavy rubbers like D09c or MX-P. With SP you shouldn't worry too much about the balance. With a setup like yours I would actually go ham and consider really heavy rubbers like the Xiom Omega 7 China, or Donic Bluegrip C2 or Victas TDE or even the Nittaku Hurricane Turbo Blue. I understand you want to go lighter but with SP and potentially small blade you are still OK even with rock heavy rubbers like Hurricane turbo blue. That rubber is just so freaking good if you can either take the 65g cut weight for normal BTY or use SP on BH.

And if you're ok with grinding your blade head then you should do that and not even think about looking for a lighter PC.

With rubbers like I mentioned and the PC and really light overal racket it is an excellent combo for close to the table counters and flicks etc. Certainly the mentioned sticky and slower (and more stable) rubbers are more suited for this kind of play than MX-P. Not to mention they are excellent for close to the table loop killing.

If you can use your SP well and it's not just a cheap compensation for BF I think you have a killer setup. 

Posted By: ludo
Date Posted: 08/09/2021 at 2:36am
When I bought my PC, I contacted every store I could think of and BTY had the lightest (84g) so I think that your 86g is still on the light side.
Like said before, if you use some SP on BH, it should dramatically reduce the overall weight.
I tried a bunch of rubbers on mine and most tensors are just too bouncy for me.
D09C was great in that regard but heavy. Maybe 1.9mm instead of 2.1 would help.
Finally I settled for H3 Neo Nat. BS on FH and H3 Neo Nat 37 deg on BH.
This setup does everything well; short game, loops, counterloops and even hitting (due to the PC because H3 isn't the best for flat hits). Much lighter paddle with two H3s also compared to tensors.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net