FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

random TT diary of sorts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: random TT diary of sorts
    Posted: 02/08/2022 at 8:26am
Just some braindumps for myself to refer back to.

There's a way to block down powerful loopers very well, which is to move your blade sideways (BH to the left, and FH to the right) by extending (straightening) the forearm - this will help to take off a lot of incoming momentum and spin which allows a lot more control. The plus point is that it can even be used for super wide angle loops (you get a lot more reach as you extend your arm), and with the sideways movement you can add a subtle chop movement with the wrist to make it a chopblock. Got the idea from Hao Shuai who uses this extensively. However it can't really be used to add power to weaker incoming balls, so the shot selection is quite critical as counterattacking is quite important against steady consistent players - so ideally I would use this to block down high quality topspins, and then loop the weaker balls back hard. It's super good against 3rd ball attackers who don't recover well for the 2nd loop. 

For BH power, rely more on the squat/unsquat mechanism and push off both feet. If ball is too wide to the left, then push off the left leg. If ball is too wide to the right, push off the right leg. This makes the BH a lot more versatile and less likely to get jammed. I tried a bit of the rotation style but kept getting jammed so gave up on it. Pull the elbow towards the right during the BH stroke as it is important source of power (by mobilizing the lats). Still attempting to develop the down the line BH opening loop and the BH fade topspin during topspin rallies - that seems to be the huge missing link in my game.

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

SURF View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SURF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 12:39pm
Hi, do you have any footage of you doing backhand opening loop down the line?  We can analyze it, if you are interested.

My guess is that you are used to hitting ball perpendicular to the line of play so you can not adjust arm joints to create full stroke. If I am right about this then,

try following:
-  find a line of force that alows straight course of the ball, when your paddle contacts ball in such way that tip of the racket is in front of ball from its left side (if you are right handed). 
This will help a lot. The feeling during shot is like you want to aim for left side of net stand.

- also imagine that you are hitting the ball with the place on your hand where your watches would have face. This will correct your hand movement without spoiling it with wrist movements. 

- once you get used to it, find proper contact point on the ball and during stroke focus on pressing that point with your right side of the thumb (like you are pressing it to your index finger when you have open palm.

I hope it helps.

Concept of energy focusing will be discussed in future lessons on NEW LEVEL TT channel in graphical form.

NEW LEVEL TT lessons on YouTube
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 5:32pm
I can do the BH down the line, it's just a low percentage shot at the moment compared to diagonal.  

The problem with down the line BH is that, it has to be sudden and not telegraphed, otherwise you'll be facing a FH which is quite a bad deal. 

I guess my other issue is that my BH tends to be quite sidespinny (left to right sidespin) which is not ideal when going down the line because it reduces the angle. Ideally it should be a fade topspin when going down the line and I've yet to really learn it (especially against underspin!) - I did a couple yesterday but the percentages just weren't that high. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2022 at 5:42pm
Yesterday I played against someone who rallies really well, and I just couldn't penetrate his defence regardless of what I did, he was stepping back a little and kept returning my hard ish topspins with very spinny miniloops, in the end I always ended up overhitting the ball with it going out lol. 

What I did later to regain control is just to use the angles against him, and not give him any power to work from. Which is also a bit tricky because then he'll start looping hard (which he has a great quality loop) and I had to be ready to block those well. But it's a very good strategy as I ended up winning most of the matches this way (compared to previously when I was powerlooping all the time and still losing bad lol). Placement and spin variation can be very useful when you don't have the firepower to hit through someone. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2022 at 3:51am
My old 2 step method of recovering after the serve (after weight transfer to left leg, reach with the right leg and land near the middle of the table, then drag the left leg backwards to bounce on both feet)  has reached its limit imo and is just not fast enough to deal with off the bounce returns. Recently watched a Pechpong video on this and decided to learn the more advanced method to cut out the middle step and reach the ready position in 1 single step. So the idea is to bounce off the left leg and then rotate the body to directly land with both feet simultaneously in the ready position. The important part I discovered is to use the head as a pivot point while rotating the body, this will ensure that you're leaning forward, and also there's less movement of the centre of gravity which means it's easier to execute (the feeling is like the position of the head is relatively steady and the entire body rotates around that pivot to reach the ready position)
-------
Viscaria

SURF View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SURF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2022 at 9:29am
You are focusing on the wrong points. Forgot it. It only overcomplicate problem. Simple solution.

next time do only 3 things during serving (as partly described in my videos, whatch it again, if it did not make sense for the first time). 
I did not discussed S/R sequencing yet. It is too early in the series, but here we are...

1) when you serve, at the time ball falls on the paddle you should land opposite leg to the ground.
2) then focus on rotating to ready position BEFORE ball hits opponents side of the table. Obviously lower head and COG. Make sure that your belly points to that spot - when you are in ready pos.  At all costs, do not let ball pass that point!! and watch opponent - wait. 
3) when you see opponents racket start approaching ball (its spit second info), jump back very fast but very little (split step). To make easier for you, try to catch the ball with your eyes, before it crosses the net when you land.

Learn how to count the beats. Your openig shot is at 5. 
for completeness, 4 is your body turn/bending for backswing. (depends on the type of stroke)

if you can do these 3, next 2 actions will feel very fluent. Trust me. You do not need anything alse. I will stop here, let me know if it helped. Record yourself doing so. 

I told that the first 2 videos are the most important for everyones progress. 

Then we will continue. See you.

NEW LEVEL TT lessons on YouTube
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by SURF SURF wrote:

You are focusing on the wrong points. Forgot it. It only overcomplicate problem. Simple solution.

next time do only 3 things during serving (as partly described in my videos, whatch it again, if it did not make sense for the first time). 
I did not discussed S/R sequencing yet. It is too early in the series, but here we are...

1) when you serve, at the time ball falls on the paddle you should land opposite leg to the ground.
2) then focus on rotating to ready position BEFORE ball hits opponents side of the table. Obviously lower head and COG. Make sure that your belly points to that spot - when you are in ready pos.  At all costs, do not let ball pass that point!! and watch opponent - wait. 
3) when you see opponents racket start approaching ball (its spit second info), jump back very fast but very little (split step). To make easier for you, try to catch the ball with your eyes, before it crosses the net when you land.

Learn how to count the beats. Your openig shot is at 5. 
for completeness, 4 is your body turn/bending for backswing. (depends on the type of stroke)

if you can do these 3, next 2 actions will feel very fluent. Trust me. You do not need anything alse. I will stop here, let me know if it helped. Record yourself doing so. 

I told that the first 2 videos are the most important for everyones progress. 

Then we will continue. See you.

Yep this is consistent to what Pechpong recommended, and is exactly what I'm trying to implement in my game too.
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2022 at 5:37pm
Tried the new recovery after service and it worked really well, I felt I had a lot more time to prepare a 3rd ball attack after the serve. 

Had a good day in general playing, but my legs really tired out and refused to execute any more FH loops lol.  It was a test of my passive game which I realised works really well - the idea is you don't try to go for winners but rather play out the rally at medium speed and focus on placement until you get an opportunity then you go all out. 
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2022 at 1:48am
The down the line backhand is such a high wining shot I would really work on it. Check out how Harimoto does it. His right hip comes more forward out of the squat so the body rises more in the direction of the ball flight down the line. This body action allows full power for the down the line backhand.
Level one qualified coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2022 at 5:07am
Originally posted by maur1010 maur1010 wrote:

The down the line backhand is such a high wining shot I would really work on it. Check out how Harimoto does it. His right hip comes more forward out of the squat so the body rises more in the direction of the ball flight down the line. This body action allows full power for the down the line backhand.

Agreed - the few times I did it they were all direct point winners lol. Unfortunately it's just inconsistent af unlike my diagonal BH :(

I'll try your tip!

Edited by blahness - 02/12/2022 at 5:07am
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2022 at 1:28am
Today I tried training the fade BH counter (from the middle or FH side), it was quite powerful indeed especially if you combine it with the sidespin BH. So even from the FH side, you can fade to the FH, and then follow up with a block or counter to the deep BH and you generally would have won the point. Alternatively, just loop sidespin to the BH and then fade the next ball to the deep FH. Granted I was testing it against a weaker player lol, but it was close to unsolvable for him, I was winning like 90% of the balls if I used this strategy, and I wasn't even adding a lot of quality on the shot.

Pretty exciting stuff haha...
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2022 at 10:47pm
Need to find some solutions to fast sidetopspin serves to the wide BH exiting the side of the table. I've always tried to loop them, however it's too easy to overhit it and have it fly long especially with spinnier serves because the incoming ball is actually kinda short (the distance to the table is not that great), even if I land them, because the placement is kinda fixed it's often not a direct point winner. More passive returns get countered hard because again they're just waiting in their BH corner to do exactly that. Pushing it is of course out of the question (them being sidetopspin serves with pace).

Thought of a solution to take a middle road to be safe but yet slightly active by having the racket trajectory going more to the side like how I block wide angle balls now, and then brushing it to the side, this will allow me to chopblock it, or create a weird sidespinny ball (essentially returning the favour to them) with very similar strokes, then go into a hopefully equal BH-BH battle. 
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2022 at 4:27pm
Another easy way to do a down the line backhand ball is to just do a mini jump to reset your feet so you face more down the line. Then do your normal backhand with full power. The disadvantage is that your body shows the direction of the shot and you need a little time to do the footwork.
However, if you use full power most players will struggle or return a weaker ball for you to attack.

For short sidespin balls I have been practicing a side jab like motion contacting the side of the ball. I imagine this could work for longer faster wide balls too.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2022 at 5:22am

Another easy way to do a down the line backhand ball is to just do a mini jump to reset your feet so you face more down the line. Then do your normal backhand with full power. The disadvantage is that your body shows the direction of the shot and you need a little time to do the footwork.
However, if you use full power most players will struggle or return a weaker ball for you to attack.

For short sidespin balls I have been practicing a side jab like motion contacting the side of the ball. I imagine this could work for longer faster wide balls too.

I feel like shifting the leg position is firstly slow, will make it less sudden because they can see your body turn, and if the ball turns out to be towards your FH you can't really adjust in time. The other problem I feel I have is because my BH is naturally quite sidespinny (which works really well for the diagonal line as I can get some very nice angles, and when targeting the middle - FH area it swerves into the opponent's elbow which is excellent), for the down the line shot due to the decreased shot length it feels like i don't produce enough topspin to get my percentages up. After thinking about it a bit more, the only way I can get the angle to produce purer topspin is if the elbow points more down and is closer to the body during the followthrough - that seems like quite a fancy way to disguise the direction too (pull the elbow towards the right and it's my normal sidespinny BH, if I pull the elbow down then it's more of the down the line BH with purer topspin. 

For the receive yes I'm thinking of that side jab movement too because it cuts off the wide angle, it's very efficient movement wise (like a fencer lunge stroke) and you get a bit more dwell time going around the side of the ball and you can manage the momentum better because you're approaching the ball at an angle to where it's coming from rather than hitting it straight on (perpendicular to the incoming ball direction). I already use it extensively for blocking, but i'm trying to modify it to use it offensively (which I already use for defense) against fast balls to my wide BH exiting the side of the table. I tried using my full BH stroke but it's just not fast enough against these long fast serves and I get jammed - if I go further back from the table, due to the wide angle I'm pretty much forced to go diagonal unless I go around the net (very very difficult!), if it's a normal diagonal they just block it down the line to my wide FH, then I'm super screwed. 
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2022 at 4:24pm
For your backhand do you use left hip back and forward for bodywork? I like a backhand where it is more like a punch with my elbow closer to my body. This gives more topspin and less sidespin.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2022 at 6:09pm

For your backhand do you use left hip back and forward for bodywork? I like a backhand where it is more like a punch with my elbow closer to my body. This gives more topspin and less sidespin.

Lol I written a long reply and my phone went out of battery and I lost it :((

I prefer the mini rotation style with left to right weight transfer (I modelled it after Liang Jingkun) for the most power. The more underspin the more I squat down and the less I rotate. If the ball is to my right I don't use rotation, just load up my right leg like a punch movement. Rotation requires more preparation time compared to the squat/unsquat movement, but is a lot more powerful. So it's better to just reserve it for slower balls to the centre/left of the body. It is very bad against faster balls and balls to the right where you will get jammed and out of position if you try to rotate. Getting out of position to hit a higher quality shots is a big no-no for me because you'll be really vulnerable for the next shot if it's blocked back. So I usually just use the squat/unsquat mechanism for those balls.

But in terms of the arm movement, I use the lats to pull my elbow clockwise towards the right (a very powerful mechanism for the BH), so my blade face starts open and facing the front and during the followthrough it's closed and facing the right side (this is why it produces sidetopspin). You can see the lat pull mechanism in many other current top players like Wang Chuqin, Lin Gaoyuan, Liang Jingkun, Harimoto, Lin Yun ju). 

Theoretically, if I pulled my elbow less to the right and more backwards (till it's closer to the body), this will create a purer topspin which I can use for the down the line shots. 

Edited by blahness - 02/18/2022 at 6:25pm
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2022 at 6:21pm
11:07 in this video which contains both diagonal and down the line BHs from Wang Manyu, you can see the difference in elbow movement between the 2 directions.

Edited by blahness - 02/18/2022 at 6:46pm
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2022 at 10:21pm
Interesting. So many ways to use the body to hit a backhand. Ma long rotates from left to right as well as coming up from the squat. I feel this is more a martial arts type stroke. As everything is more in line with the ball flight, perhaps this is a more reliable shot and a faster set up.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2022 at 11:34pm

Interesting. So many ways to use the body to hit a backhand. Ma long rotates from left to right as well as coming up from the squat. I feel this is more a martial arts type stroke. As everything is more in line with the ball flight, perhaps this is a more reliable shot and a faster set up.

Yes there is a lot of variety in the BH stroke, everyone's looks a bit different as they emphasize different aspects of the stroke. 

I like Ma Long's BH stroke too, it's very compact and it synergizes very well with his FH. 

There's quite a few videos of Ti Long on BH mechanics which I feel that he really gets it (unlike a lot of other YouTubers). 
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2022 at 3:11am
4.40 seconds is reverent

Edited by maur1010 - 02/19/2022 at 3:12am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2022 at 6:58am

4.40 seconds is reverent

Just watched it, that is the Ma Long way of going down the line, it's more of a punch. It's definitely a different approach for sure.

Edited by blahness - 02/19/2022 at 7:02am
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2022 at 7:00am
Tested out the new fade BH movement and the BH receive of longer balls (going along more of the side of the ball), both worked beautifully. First time in my life I felt in the driver's seat against both the inverted/long pips penholder and the topspin rally addict. 

The BH sidespin receive allowed me to gain a lot of confidence in receiving those nasty wide long serves, the quality is not as great as my full BH stroke, but it's really stable due to the longer dwell time (going around the side) and allowed me to focus more on placement (just deep BH or wide FH), and spin options too (it can become a disguised chopblock as well as heavy sidetopspin or even a flatter bump with very similar movement patterns). Also, this works against normal long serves too without a hitch, and it ties in with the chiquita beautifully. Previously I was being jammed badly by sudden long serves to the wide BH when I was busy chiquitaing short serves, this sidespin receive is much quicker to initiate which allows me to escape these long serves without giving up the chiquita. This worked amazing against the penholder because I could smoothly get the first BH attack in if he served to my BH wing, which allowed me to go into the topspin rally which I had a significant advantage. He stopped doing that quickly though, and after that I had to start dealing with FH short and long serves, which is another problem. He has this amazing "bottle challenge" down the line fast serve which can be nospin, heavy sidetop or even heavy sideunderspin which is really hard to deal with - on good days I can loop them hard if I read the spin well, but I need a medium commitment receive that works well on my bad days too. Maybe a similar sidespin receive would work well too on the FH.... 

The fade BH (using the elbow pull direction to change directions) is amazing in topspin rallies! I cannot believe how well it worked. Against the topspin rally guy (shakehander) which I usually had 50-50 rallies against, today I had like 70-30 rallies in my favour. So basically off the service return, somehow through various ways it turns into a BH-BH topspin battle lol. Previously I was struggling because he would pin me on my BH, and he was defending a lot of my BH powerloops, and if I ever tried pivoting it was immediately switched down the line, and if I tried to be passive on the BH he would add quality eventually and destroy me. With the fade BH, now he has to be extra careful when going BH-BH due to the additional options I had. Some strategies I employed are to pin him on the wide BH, middle area and then suddenly fade it down the line, the other one is to fade it directly after a chiquita or BH opening loop, and finally the doing the wide sidespin counter to his wide BH to pull him wide and then fading it wide to his wide FH (kinda evil strats lmao) off the bounce. 

Edited by blahness - 02/20/2022 at 1:51am
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2022 at 2:49am
What today taught me was that the mindset of being 100% aggressive is not that great in serve receive. For eg the adage "loop all long serves" is true, but if you try to go ham and big powerloops on all the fast long serves on a bad day you'll only get destroyed by your own unforced errors and by your opponent just blocking a big % of your big shots to the other direction. Rather, there needs to be nuances in this attack.

For eg if you're faced with a quality fast low long serve with deceptive spin, you must admit that you're actually on the back foot already because the opponent chose the spin, placement and rhythm which you have to react to. Unless you're reading his serves like a book, it's unwise to view the fast long serve as an "opportunity" but rather, you have to "work your way" back into a more dominating position, and if you earn the opportunity then you get to finish it off with the big flashy powerloop. So for eg an off the bounce miniloop to survive these serves and if possible, pose more problems to your opponent via your own spin/placement variations may get a lot more points than attempting to powerloop them from the get go. 
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2022 at 10:32pm
One very good way to reduce timing related unforced errors with looping sidespin serves, moving with the direction of the sidespin so that your body maintains a relatively static position in relation with the ball. For eg with sidespin to the BH that swerves to the left, it's best to move your body to the left alongside the ball while preparing the BH loop, for eg by pushing off your right foot. With sidespin that swerves to the right, it's best to move the body to the right by pushing off your left foot. Same with looping on the FH wing. In this way, the body position is adjusting for the sidespin starting from the bounce, instead of having to "guess" the final ball position which is much harder.

Edited by blahness - 02/21/2022 at 10:33pm
-------
Viscaria

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2022 at 1:09am
Cool to see I am not the only diary blogger here.  Had a quick scan, looks interesting.  

I never do the BH to the left unless I am over the ball in a banana... like a hook.  My FH is almost always faded to the left.  Unless fishing far from the table...

Down the line is my choice for all high ball backhand finishes = VERY EFFECTIVE and rarely are they there to reach for a return...

I tend to receive and return BH to their middle or to their wide bh.  Just feels safe and I am not very scared of most people's backhands... (William Henzell would kick ur ass wherever you returned)
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2022 at 3:15am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Cool to see I am not the only diary blogger here.  Had a quick scan, looks interesting.  

I never do the BH to the left unless I am over the ball in a banana... like a hook.  My FH is almost always faded to the left.  Unless fishing far from the table...

Down the line is my choice for all high ball backhand finishes = VERY EFFECTIVE and rarely are they there to reach for a return...

I tend to receive and return BH to their middle or to their wide bh.  Just feels safe and I am not very scared of most people's backhands... (William Henzell would kick ur ass wherever you returned)

Yeah the BH diagonal line is definitely much safer due to the extra distance, but ppl are usually very good with dealing with all sorts of balls to their deep BH. So say you have a 80% of making the diagonal shot and 60% winning chance after that, if you have a 60% chance of making the down the line shot and 90% winning chances after that, your winning percentages are actually higher with the down the line shot. Besides there are ways to make the down the line shot more reliable for eg by increasing spin. The odds for winning improves for balls more to the middle as the landing percentages are almost equal regardless of whether you go diagonal to their wide BH or down the line to their wide FH, and the latter actually wins a lot more points.... 

Of course sometimes it's not all about winning matches but more about looking cool and making a statement hahaha
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2022 at 3:14pm
I saw a video where the coach suggested to work on 2 or 3 ball combinations. Like side top backhand diagonal and then down the line. Or fast side serve diagonal and then down the line. Or ball to elbow and attack the open corner.

What combinations do you feel would be good to practice for your game style?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2022 at 4:49pm

I saw a video where the coach suggested to work on 2 or 3 ball combinations. Like side top backhand diagonal and then down the line. Or fast side serve diagonal and then down the line. Or ball to elbow and attack the open corner.

What combinations do you feel would be good to practice for your game style?

Yes, combos like that are usually very effective and repeatable. For me a combo has to start from the serve or the serve receive to force certain responses out of the opponents, otherwise they too have too many options and you won't be able to execute your combo smoothly. 

For me I've had a lot of success recently with hook serves and heavy underspin/no spin and much less with the FH pendulum serve.  The hook serve to the BH usually invites a sidespin push back to my BH which is quite comfortable to open with, if it's short I can chiquita it and if it's long I can just loop it and go into BH-BH rally, and then try to execute some of the sidespin combos during the rally. On the rare occasion that they push short to my FH I just use the spin to push deep and wide to their FH corner (ball exiting the side of the table), if they go long to my FH then it's usually a hard diagonal FH loop. 

The hook serve to the short FH is even more limiting, 90% of the time they aren't gonna overcome the sidespin unless they receive with BH (which opens the deep BH corner up giving you an advantage), so if they receive with FH just wait in the middle to loop the loose FH ball. If they manage to push it short to the FH, the next best shot is usually a FH sideswipe to their deep BH. 

I find that ppl are receiving FH pendulum serves a lot better in general so it's quite difficult to build effective patterns with them.... I don't like serving them anymore lol

Against long pips the heavy underspin/no spin serve is a lot more effective as you don't get weird sidespins from them. So for eg serve heavy underspin long, they push it (it'll become a topspin ball), and then just counter the topspin ball. If I serve no spin long they push it and it becomes a light backspin ball which is again quite comfortable to attack. 

Patterns are a lot harder on the receive since you have to defeat your opponent's combos. It's all about disrupting your opponent's flow and giving them difficult balls while cutting down on unforced errors. I'm working now on a mini FH sidespin loop receive at full stretch (in a lunge position hitting the ball in front of the right leg) to cut off long fast serves to my deep FH early. I know the ideal "pro receive" is to get feet in position and then powerloop them top of the bounce but I've had very poor results with that because my feet just ain't fast enough and I'm not reading the spin well enough to reduce unforced error rates. So this mini FH sidespin loop at full stretch will allow me to loop these serves off the bounce without the need to get in a perfect position (with the right leg in line with the ball)
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2022 at 1:21am
Played the penholder inverted/LP combo player today and he was largely unbeatable today and only managed to take about 30% of the games... Few things that worked very well was the down the line BH loop/chiquita receive which was probably the most effective receive out of all especially if it was combined with the diagonal version. But down the line is a real point scorer. My FH was malfunctioning coz my legs were dead from Bulgarian squats the day before... still I tested the lunge position FH and it actually allowed me to loop some of the fast serves back quite well. Will have to continue working on it. 

But the main reason why I lost was that he was hitting FH loopkill winners left and right consistently which I wasn't able to block back well due to the tremendous angles he was getting (normally he would make a lot more mistakes but today he was largely mistake free), and I made way too many unforced errors attacking on the FH unfortunately, and whatever landed he blocked back way too well. He also managed to trick me on the serve placement and spin too many times. 

Also tested a new FH pendulum serve concept movement which could potentially be disguised with the FH hook serve (my main serve), I actually managed to completely fool him a few times when I pulled it out, he actually misread the sidespin direction lol (first time I ever managed to do that against LPs)
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2022 at 5:21am
Realised that in longer games that on balls to my FH, I'm not tracking the ball the whole way unlike my BH, which results in poorer accuracy. My training partner pointed it out that I was not looking at the ball during contact but was simply guessing the position of the ball lol. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic