Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Round Robins and No Masks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round Robins and No Masks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round Robins and No Masks
    Posted: 06/09/2021 at 8:31am
Hi,

Just released by the USATT alterations in the U.S. Nationals:  Single elimination events have been changed to round robins, plus the mandatory masks requirement has been removed.

Progress.

Thanks.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
Sponsored Links

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2021 at 11:58am
Glad they came to their senses. Probably saw that they only have 300+ entries with less than a month to go.  IIRC, Nationals in Las Vegas usually run 800+ players.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2021 at 12:31pm
"Slight schedule adjustments..." 
Is that the understatement of the year? 

They say there are no fans at the Olympics. What about Fan Zhendong?
talltimber View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talltimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2021 at 12:28am
There is no "I" in team but there is an "M" and an "E".
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2021 at 2:21am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Glad they came to their senses. Probably saw that they only have 300+ entries with less than a month to go.  IIRC, Nationals in Las Vegas usually run 800+ players.
If golden knights can have full house in the playoff, they better relax their covid 19 protocol. Besides, CDC just said no mask is needed if you have 2 shots already.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2021 at 6:56am
Hi,

I didn't see any announcement on the topic of the dreaded, disease-suspected, threat-to-society-as-we-know-it, potential-pathogenic spectators' status.  May Zeus protect us from those wives and husbands and children and friends and fans and unauthorized coaches with whom we associate directly with every day that desire to be part of the major annual table tennis event in the United States and often function as a major motivation for a vacation experience in Las Vegas.

[Now that I'm here]  And, any word on the entrance-only-15-minutes-prior-to-your-event rule that guarantees a poor or non-existent warm-up.  That rule is a beauty.  If you want to ruin your tournament, just don't warm-up properly.  That will do it!

Thanks. 
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2021 at 2:59pm
Warm-ups, coaching, spectators, you didn't pay enough. There is already an extra charge to coach, now they just need to add an up-charge for warm-ups, maybe an "open table rental"? And a separate spectator fee, of course. Those elite programs aren't going to fund themselves, you know.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Warm-ups, coaching, spectators, you didn't pay enough. There is already an extra charge to coach, now they just need to add an up-charge for warm-ups, maybe an "open table rental"? And a separate spectator fee, of course. Those elite programs aren't going to fund themselves, you know.

Of course, of course!  Super good idea!  Charge a fee for early entry so that you can warm up properly!

I wish I had thought of that!  I just don't think right; I don't have the right kind of mind.  I'm just not the table tennis managerial type.

But, with that confession, let's explore it a little.  What would be the fee structure (impressive phrase, eh? "fee structure").  This could get tricky because of the multiple events per player making it an uneven playing field.  I would recommend a flat fee per event per day per player.  What would be a reasonable amount (it's very important to be reasonable here)?  Because the value of warming up is so high, a good amount is justified to charge.  I vote for $20 per event (cash only so that there is not disputing the charges later).  It's clean, its simple, and Uncle Sam as a denomination that fits perfectly!

Definite progress.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic