Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Semi-professional player minimum rating
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Semi-professional player minimum rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2021 at 8:25pm
Spin clubs are an interesting point though.  We don't have one here and I've never been to one.  I imagine people can make a living there and be way below the level of a top US player.  Just like tennis and golf pros at country clubs may not be that good either.

I suppose that qualifies BUT only if a person is actually working at one.  Otherwise they're just another 1900 player.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2021 at 11:13pm
Pro, semi-pro mean sport glory or semi sport glory. There is no sports glory being 1900, 2400 or 3000 rated and coaching kids, that's coaching glory, not sports glory; coaching glory only if the pupils succeed of course and that's ahead, we don't know yet.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2021 at 11:25pm
Stefan Feth experienced it all, sports glory as a competitive pro player and coaching glory because Kanak is about to show his real game. Another Beckenbauer kind of person.

Edited by stiltt - 04/27/2021 at 11:26pm
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2021 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

pro--- playing tt as a career,
semi pro---- make half of income from TT ?

That's partly true, certainly that is what professional means.  "Semi" doesn't mean half, though (the correct prefixes for ~ 1/2 would be "demi", as in demigod or "hemi" as in hemisphere).   Semi means "partly".  

Tongue
From dictionary.com: 

Semi:

a combining form borrowed from Latin, meaning “half,” freely prefixed to English words of any origin, now sometimes with the senses “partially,” “incompletely,” “somewhat”
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2021 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

That's partly true, certainly that is what professional means.  "Semi" doesn't mean half, though (the correct prefixes for ~ 1/2 would be "demi", as in demigod or "hemi" as in hemisphere).   Semi means "partly".  

Tongue
From dictionary.com: 

Semi:

a combining form borrowed from Latin, meaning “half,” freely prefixed to English words of any origin, now sometimes with the senses “partially,” “incompletely,” “somewhat”

professional

adjective
following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain:

Edited by astaroyd - 04/28/2021 at 5:06am
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2021 at 10:46am
Let's not confuse SEMI-pro vs FORMER-pro.

Many coaches these days are former pros who moved to the U.S. to seek better life and opportunities. If we look at our active players, Kanak, Lily and maybe a handful of other U.S. players should be considered professional players. They take time off from their normal life to train and play overseas, focusing solely on table tennis. That's the definition of a pro player. Semi pro would be someone of fairly high level who played/plays regionally or nationally. I don't see why someone rated as "low" as 2100-2200 shouldn't be considered a semi-pro. 1900 is not even an expert level.  
BTY Diode ST | V>15 Extra | Curl P4 1.0
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2021 at 2:12pm

Tongue
From dictionary.com: 

Semi:

How about this:  We assume that a high level pro player has a USATT rating of 2900-3000, and that semi means half.  Therefore, everybody who is above 1450 is semi-pro!  And then nearly everyone on the forum can boast to their friends and family that they are semi-pro!  The people who have to listen to this will certainly be very highly impressed (not).  Better yet, we can decide that semi doesn't need to mean 1/2m even 1/3 will do.  Now everyone over 1000 is a semi-pro. Happiness is increased everywhere.

Edited by Baal - 04/28/2021 at 2:14pm
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 1:34am

Tongue
From dictionary.com: 

Semi:

How about this:  We assume that a high level pro player has a USATT rating of 2900-3000, and that semi means half.  Therefore, everybody who is above 1450 is semi-pro!  And then nearly everyone on the forum can boast to their friends and family that they are semi-pro!  The people who have to listen to this will certainly be very highly impressed (not).  Better yet, we can decide that semi doesn't need to mean 1/2m even 1/3 will do.  Now everyone over 1000 is a semi-pro. Happiness is increased everywhere.

Semi usain bolt, but without the drugs!

100m in 19.2 seconds is very easily done.

'Semi-professional sports are sports in which athletes are not participating on a full-time basis. Semi-professionals are not amateur because they receive regular payment from their team (company), but at a much lower rate than a full-time professional athlete.'

Would be the serious answer. 

Edited by Basquests - 04/29/2021 at 1:36am
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 2:11am
My current level is around 1900. I'm just a middle of the road club player in here in Saigon. I definitely wouldn't consider myself as semi-pro. 
Current Setup: Trying to learn H3
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level:
Starting to get the hang of H3
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Had a player recently tell me they were a semi-professional player.  That got me to thinking what would the minimum rating level be for a semi-professional player, and what would be considered a semipro?

Before I say what their rating level is, I'm curious what some of you think would be the rating level, and what the requirements would be to be considered a semipro.

Thanks

I have been watching Seth Pech's very entertaining PechPong YT channel lately.  He's about 2450ish, and seems to be what could reasonably be called semi-pro.  

Seth has some lower-division euro league matches, played Kai Zhang without getting completely obliterated, stuff like that.  He's not playing Pro A or anything, but he's not quite only playing for fun either. 

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 9:33am
Someone on this thread asked earlier why it would bother you if someone at this level would claim to be a semi-pro player. I guess the thing that bothers me is that players like this are a little full of themself, and mainly seek out players 2000 and above and seem to think the other players slightly below them in rating are not worth playing with. They really don't realize how much less skilled they are than the higher-level players they seek out to hit with.  It's a good thing those higher-level players don't have the same attitude or they wouldn't waste their time with someone a few hundred points below them.  So a little humility would go a long way with these players.  
I agree with several others on this thread that somewhere around 2450ish could be a semi-pro.  Maybe they are sponsored and they can usually win money at many of the local and regional tournaments.    
Joola Vynaryz Freeze
Joola Dynaryz ACC max - BH
Joola Dynaryz ACC max - FH
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Had a player recently tell me they were a semi-professional player.  That got me to thinking what would the minimum rating level be for a semi-professional player, and what would be considered a semipro?

Before I say what their rating level is, I'm curious what some of you think would be the rating level, and what the requirements would be to be considered a semipro.

Thanks

I have been watching Seth Pech's very entertaining PechPong YT channel lately.  He's about 2450ish, and seems to be what could reasonably be called semi-pro.  

Seth has some lower-division euro league matches, played Kai Zhang without getting completely obliterated, stuff like that.  He's not playing Pro A or anything, but he's not quite only playing for fun either. 

I have been watching Seth's PechPong as well, and had the same thought process when i saw this thread.

Dude has the knowledge and is very logical/well-thought out in his presentation, and has amazing physicality to boot.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

the weird thing is why it bothers others so much.

if a 1900 came to me and said "I am a semi pro player..."
I'd be like "great!!! let's go play!!! Smile" and have a blast.

I agree.  I think it's our ego that resents a lower level players calling themselves semi pro.  
My career winnings are over $500.  Since I played for and won money, that makes me a pro.  Not a very good one though.  

I pay lots of money for tournaments, equipment and lessons.  Since I rarely win, that makes me a not very bright semi pro.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I agree.  I think it's our ego that resents a lower level players calling themselves semi pro.  
My career winnings are over $500.  Since I played for and won money, that makes me a pro.  Not a very good one though.  

I pay lots of money for tournaments, equipment and lessons.  Since I rarely win, that makes me a not very bright semi pro.

Pro tennis players outside the top 100 probably lose money
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 12:30pm
there is a Trumpian solution:-
A beautifully printed forum Pro Certificate for members who want to boost their credibility?
20 bucks a shot would be an interesting starting price.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 1:14pm

Tongue
From dictionary.com: 

Semi:

professional

adjective
yes professional is the word, forget about playing level.  If a TT team is willing to pay decent money for a player of sub 2000 level, he will be a bonafide semi-pro and if you are not making money then you are not a pro of any kind.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

not necessarily.
I know players around 300~500 ittf who played lower leagues in europe with a profit.
in general they are young people without a family, so a room in any local pension or training center is generally enough for them.
then food and that's all they need really.
low budget life.

Edited by astaroyd - 04/29/2021 at 5:44pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Tongue
From dictionary.com: 

Semi:

professional

adjective
yes professional is the word, forget about playing level.  If a TT team is willing to pay decent money for a player of sub 2000 level, he will be a bonafide semi-pro and if you are not making money then you are not a pro of any kind.

Yes.  IF.  Problem is it's an if so big it could collapse on itself and create a black hole.   Maybe on some fantasy island.

Edited by Baal - 04/29/2021 at 8:00pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

A beautifully printed forum Pro Certificate for members who want to boost their credibility?

Yes, but in addition the website where you can get it needs to have a very small box pre-checked to agree to recurrent monthly payments. 
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2021 at 3:48am

Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Yes, but in addition the website where you can get it needs to have a very small box pre-checked to agree to recurrent monthly payments. 

good point!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2021 at 9:59pm
2500+
Stiga Intensity, Viscaria, Clipper Wood
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2021 at 2:45pm

not necessarily.
I know players around 300~500 ittf who played lower leagues in europe with a profit.
in general they are young people without a family, so a room in any local pension or training center is generally enough for them.
low budget life.

Yes, but I think at a little higher level they try to invest in a trainer etc. Just what I've heard on TV.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2021 at 4:18pm
About tennis, the figure I have is at world #200 they start needing additional income and giving private lessons is an immediate solution like in table tennis.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2021 at 5:24pm

not necessarily.
low budget life.

Yes, but I think at a little higher level they try to invest in a trainer etc. Just what I've heard on TV.

ittf 500 players don't pay for a coach lol
they train with national teams and exclusive groups like that.
even ittf 1000 trains with national team in most countries.
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/team-usa/2019-ttteamusa-male-national-team-group

so anything young and above U2500 already stops paying for private coaches.

Edited by astaroyd - 05/01/2021 at 5:47pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2021 at 6:40pm

not necessarily.
low budget life.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/team-usa/2019-ttteamusa-male-national-team-group

Lots of players don't get support from their national organization. Thats why Russians move to kazhakstan to play, etc.

Young players are given support early but not once they get older 

But you can argue with Jim courier. Hes the one I'm quoting, and with all due respect I'll take his opinion over yours.

Edited by cole_ely - 05/01/2021 at 6:42pm

astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2021 at 9:03pm

not necessarily.
low budget life.

Lots of players don't get support from their national organization. Thats why Russians move to kazhakstan to play, etc.

Young players are given support early but not once they get older 

But you can argue with Jim courier. Hes the one I'm quoting, and with all due respect I'll take his opinion over yours.

well they have a place to train with other high level players, they have good coaches.... some of their trips are paid....some play leagues around the world for money.....

these are the perks of being high level.

but it's rough, that's why most end up choosing a more traditional career (not like that is any easier LOL ..... actually it's much harder, that's why in general it pays more money)

Edited by astaroyd - 05/02/2021 at 4:42am
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 6:23am
Most of the top players in the USA, even if they are over 2500, still have to pay for coaching.  I know quite a few who have paid to have live in practice partners and coaches to prepare for big competitions like the Olympic trials.  The people who don't want to hire practice partners and coaches find the few good players in their area willing to train and try to practice that way. Then maybe their friends coach them during matches.  This is far from optimal.  In the US, the only way to make table tennis a career is to open a club or coach.  There isn't enough prize money to survive. 
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

Most of the top players in the USA, even if they are over 2500, still have to pay for coaching.  I know quite a few who have paid to have live in practice partners and coaches to prepare for big competitions like the Olympic trials.  The people who don't want to hire practice partners and coaches find the few good players in their area willing to train and try to practice that way. Then maybe their friends coach them during matches.  This is far from optimal.  In the US, the only way to make table tennis a career is to open a club or coach.  There isn't enough prize money to survive. 

problem in USA is that it's too big... so it's hard to gather all the good players in a training facilty.
But that's the way to go... even the chinese do it that way with their cnt training center.
ma long, xu xin, fan zhendong... they don't live in their house most of the year.... they live in a room in the training center.
it's a bit like being a soldier lol

there is some relationship between athletes and soldiers.
both "defend" their country against other countries.

sports is like a playful representation of war.
athletes are a playful representation of soldiers.

Edited by astaroyd - 05/02/2021 at 8:27am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 2:09am
Something for this discussion.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 4:19am
Adam is indeed a semi-professional table tennis player. He is a table tennis player and gets ad revenue from youtube but does not rely on it for all of his income. He is a professional commentator as well. 
Of course this is different from semi-professional table tennis players on the pro tour, or semi professional table tennis players that play U.S tournaments. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic