Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Semi-professional player minimum rating
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Semi-professional player minimum rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 4:48am
Adam is a table tennis entertainer. 

Also, even when he's getting a good 500k or so views for his videos, you'd be surprised at how little $$ that translates to [The information is out there, from guys as varied as Luke Thomas to Disguised toast].

Unless of course making $1-2k a year is enough to hit the 'semi' requirement.

Sponsored Links

passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 10:02am
Adam is making at least 5k. He has very child safe content and that pays the best for ads he is probably getting more than you think.
He doesn't furfil the requirements though as this was specifically about player skill in competition and he is albeit very good a groovy entertainment guy

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 7:50pm
There are two local players here who get their living by coaching, they are 2300+/- 50 level players. They do not live luxuriously, and one also coaches other sports, but at that playing level (and by inference - coaching level), if one is around the area long enough and gets a minimum number of learners, then it can be done to an extent to keep body and soul together.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 11:15pm
One interesting thing I've seen is players who way overperform in one tournament, balloon in rating points, and then immediately retire from sanctioned competition. I won't name any names, but I have seen players rise say 300 points beyond their former mostly stable rating and they'll continue to play league and rec matches but not tournaments. It could actually be a smart marketing strategy if these people decided to become coaches since their most up to date rating would reflect the much higher rating.

Edited by FinalFight - 05/16/2021 at 11:17pm
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 4:59am
Yep, I'm always proud to defend my rating, I like the ratings-central system where you can easily see someone has not been active, as well as rating history.

In NZ its significantly harder to defend a high rating, than to go from a medium rating to a high rating. There's also no Markov property; you could be ranked #2 in NZ for years, and then have a bad tournament and be out of the top 30.

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2021 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

Adam is making at least 5k. He has very child safe content and that pays the best for ads he is probably getting more than you think.
He doesn't furfil the requirements though as this was specifically about player skill in competition and he is albeit very good a groovy entertainment guy

He does fit the thread because it just says player. Not competition in the OP. 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2021 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Yep, I'm always proud to defend my rating, I like the ratings-central system where you can easily see someone has not been active, as well as rating history.

In NZ its significantly harder to defend a high rating, than to go from a medium rating to a high rating. There's also no Markov property; you could be ranked #2 in NZ for years, and then have a bad tournament and be out of the top 30.

How so?? Is there no deduction limit in NZ?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2021 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

How so?? Is there no deduction limit in NZ?

Mathematically, it becomes incredibly hard to defend your points. The #1 in the country would lose maximum points if he loses a match, even to #2.

#2 would lose maximum points if he lost to anyone ranked #4 or below.

To maintain a top 20 ranking, how it ends up working out is you basically need to be about 50-50 around your ranking, and if you lose a single match that's horrible. Say you are ranked 20th with 1000 points. 

If you lose to someone like me around 50th, with 750 points, you lose maximum points. 

So, you could beat 4 guys with 1000 points, and then lose to me, and you'd breakeven for the tournament. i.e. At a regional open, you'd 'gain' 48 points, but then lose 48 for losing to me [=0 net].

At nationals individual events, you'd gain 96 points for the 4 wins, and lose 96 for losing to me.

It's very high risk, low reward to compete in tournaments, unless you are clearly stronger than your rating, OR simply play events where you are going to be playing stronger rated players, as in that case it becomes less about defending and more low risk high reward.

The problem stems from no memory-less ness, as well as being done by a delta fixed difference in points.

You lose say 96 at nationals if the point differential is 250 or greater. So 350 pt weak player losing to 100 pt beginner, is the same as 1300  (3rd in NZ) point super elite player losing to 1050 (top 10-15 in NZ) point elite player. And the 1300 pt player gets 0 pts for winning, and even if you won the first 10 matches as the 1300, you would gain 0 points. And then lose 96 for losing a single match.

So after 10W 1 L, the ratings would be 1204 and 1146, after starting at 1300 and 1050.

Obviously, no tournament would be set up to play the same player 11 times, but you can easily play an 800 pt player, then a 900 pt player, then a 1000pt player, then 2 different 1050 pt players. And if you win all of them, you get none. 

For every loss, minus either 48 or 72 or 96 depending on the tournament prestige.

Edited by Basquests - 05/21/2021 at 9:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic