Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid Butterfly handles!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid Butterfly handles!
    Posted: 11/11/2006 at 1:04pm
Why on earth does Butterfly have such ridiculous handles on their blades? I just got my new Kreanga Carbon ST with Sriver 1.9 and Sriver EL 1.9 today; I played with it at the club tonight and it was truly magical. The thing was worth every penny I paid for it!

However, to my disgust, the bottom edge of the small, squarish, short handle on the KC began to dig into the bottom of my palm. At the end of the night, I now have a nice blister on the base of my palm.

It is very frustrating, as I really think this was the perfect blade for my game (and my results backed this up). If only the Butterfly handle was just a bit longer (like the Stiga and Donic handles I have used previously).

Anyone in the market for a 3 hours old KC in absolutely perfect condition? If the handle is not a problem, this thing is really awesome. If so, send me a PM. I will need the cash to buy another blade .
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2006 at 6:52am
make an extension. For instance I converted a chinese ph
hinoki to sh by adding 1/2 inch of cork glued with super glue. Alternatively just round off the edge with sandpaper. Every good blade should be personalised to get it right
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2006 at 8:57am
Very good advice !
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2006 at 11:00pm
I might try sanding down the edges at the end of the handle to round them off a bit. I was comparing the KC handle to the handle on my old Stiga blade, and the Stiga has a little rounding at the end.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 12:01am
The end of my Primorac handle is actually worn down so that it is rounder (I used this blade for 3 years in a row until recently).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 7:39am
thinking about it further...
You might like to consider whether your grip is too tight, too inflexible. Your game will improve a lot if you your grip is softer.
I seem to remember in the seventies to getting some hard skin on the heel of hand, and it was because I held the racket ONE way all the time.Fixing this fault allowed me to improve my strokes and generally play a smoother game. Because of the lightness of the ball we dont have to have established grips (like eastern,western continental in lawn tennis) and in any case grips for serve forehand and backhand often need to be very flexible. The best grip is NO GRIP that is no fixed grip. The readiness grip is probably pretty orthodox because its in between bh and fh, but it should allow a full range of adjustment through every shot.
This may help you, though you should still use the sandpaper!     
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 12:03pm
I also noticed that the Primorac Carbon ST handle is short, but then I have big hands.  The FL handles seem to be longer as I have no problem with the Gergely, Sardius or Primorac Carbon flared handles length but the Sardius handle is a little thin.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
fadli View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fadli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 12:30pm
Moral of the story "Try first before U buy!".
Blade : Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D & Stiga Optimum SYNC
FH : Hurricane 3 / Skyline 3
BH : Sriver EL
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 12:55pm

i think most butterfly blade handles are slim.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 1:58pm
Most of Butterfly top blades comes with uncomfortable handles for me. They are too short!!!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 2:17pm
Blisters put hair on your chest!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
calvinding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvinding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 3:04pm
Do you guys find that Straight handles have less chance of being uncomfortable?
CDing
Blade: BTY TBS
FH: Skyline III
BH: Sriver EL
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 3:06pm
i thought penholders were the only one complaining about butterfly's handles.  i guess that goes the same for shakehanders.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 5:41pm
I really like straight handles and find most of them VERY comfortable, esp. for grip changes. I am trying to loosen up my grip a bit, but this Bty handle is just very awkward. Not only is it short, but the rectangular shape ruins the fit of most convex handles in my hand. I would love to have the chance to "try before I buy", however in the States, this is usually not an option.
jctlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 12:00am
some online stores will let you try before buying. At a cost of course. I believe ping-pong.com do. Check it out. In the end you may still want to buy and then sell if it dooesn't fit.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 6:17am
Yup I agree! My primorac carbon is too short for my Hand i wish they make longer blades like stiga does a millimeter or 2 would do the trick
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
D4VOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D4VOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 7:18am
Incidentally, how far can the Stiga WRB handles be cut down before you get to the hollow section. I need to shorten mine but I don't want to risk leaving an open end.
Blade:Stiga Offensive Classic (FL-Master)
FH:Stiga Boost TC (2.0)
BH:Stiga Boost TC (2.0)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 7:57am
why not remove a straight longer handle from some old blade and replace the offending sides with one you like.
Fill in the gaps with filler
I really think that is worth doing a bit of diy for a blade that plays as you want. You'll find over time that its very difficult to get the right blade, and if you break one you really like playing wise, buying exactly the same make and model will not result in a duplicate feel
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 1:39pm
The problem with that is the KC has some sort of hybrid ridiculous handle structure with all these little pieces fitting together and meshing with the fancy silver coating of the hitting surface. Switching out handles would be ugly, but I would die to have my old Donic Dicon handle on the Kreanga.
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2006 at 12:48am
I ended up selling the Kreanga rather than experimenting with such an expensive piece of gear. I will continue to search for my "holy grail" of blades .
darcycudmorepei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcycudmorepei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2006 at 9:38pm
I had a butterfly blade and i payed quite a bit for it and it SUCKED! i bought a friendship sh*tty blade and it was better.....handle is everything and to mess up on handle it ruins the whole racket....
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2006 at 11:23pm

Originally posted by mdjenders mdjenders wrote:

I ended up selling the Kreanga rather than experimenting with such an expensive piece of gear. I will continue to search for my "holy grail" of blades .

You may have just let it slip through your hands without giving it a real chance

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2006 at 11:47pm
I sure hope not! The length of the handle wasn't the only issue. The rectangular shape of the handle also didn't fit quite right in my hand. I never really felt like I had a completely good hold on the blade, and with my fairly loose grip, flinging the KC across the room on my backhand loop was a frighteningly real posssibility .

I think I am going to do a 180 in blade technology and try an old Stiga Allround Classic. I know for a fact that the straight handle is nice for me, and I will try to juice up the blade with some tensors. Wish me luck.
brushless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2006 at 7:12pm
I just bought a new blade and I got to hold about 4 different Butterfly models, and one of them had a fatter handle while another one had a sharper end like you are talking about. It just wasn't comfortable and I could easily see how it would probably cause a blister if I used it.

I ended up getting the Jonyer-H-AN which ended up feeling the best. It also happens to be one of the lightest blades from Butterfly. It has a redwood handle so over time it will get even more comfortable for me. I put the Flextra rubber on it.

This is my first serious paddle since I've been playing. I used to buy $30-$50 premade Stiga paddles and I noticed that the rubber wasn't nearly as good as my new one! I can't wait to see how I play with the Jonyer.
Visit Killer Hobbies for the most popular radio controlled cars, trucks, parts, & accessories.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic