FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Taking ball at the highest point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by NA1NSXR NA1NSXR wrote:

Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

If you are looping, you want to take the ball at the top or falling.  You can't loop a rising ball and it is difficult to hit a falling ball with any kind of threat.
Huh??

What else needs to be explained?  If you are going to hit/drive a ball (solid contact), you want to hit it at the top of the bounce, or if circumstances allow, before.  If you are going to loop a ball (with grazing involved), you want to take it at the top or afterwards.

Can you just explain the bit about not being able to loop a rising ball.

I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 9:49pm

Near the table, you would try to hit/loop at the top of the bounce. It is very difficult to hit/loop on the rise near the table, much easier to push or block on the rise. Even looping a chop, you would hit it just after the top of the bounce.  

Further away from the table, you are usually hitting the ball when it is dropping.

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 10:00pm
I learned to loop ball right off the bounce.  It seems natural to me.  I am interested in hearing why I can't loop of the bounce.

My stroke is flatter than most other peoples stroke but I can get more speed with a twisting motion.  The paddle ends up across my chest rather than in a salute.

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

Near the table, you would try to hit/loop at the top of the bounce. It is very difficult to hit/loop on the rise near the table, much easier to push or block on the rise. Even looping a chop, you would hit it just after the top of the bounce.  

Further away from the table, you are usually hitting the ball when it is dropping.

I see: you should aim to loop a chop after the top of the bounce? 

If you are back from the table and you are able to hit the ball at the top of the bounce or earlier should you should nevertheless wait for it to drop?  

I'm a little confused because in the video yo posted it appears that world class players always strive to hit the ball as early as practically possible except against chop where they appear to hit the ball at the top of the bounce.

Edited by DDreamer - 04/17/2013 at 10:03pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 11:00pm

Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Then taught hitting on drop.  Allows the most time to read opponents position for best placement of return.  But requires good technical skills to hit below table chops or off the table loops where contact point is on the top of the ball.
Unless you are defending why would you hit on the drop unless you were forced to (usually due to lack of time)? In particular why would you let a chop go below the table? Who hits chops after the top of the bounce?
On most cross over loops people hit aggressively on the drop, to give the opponent less time to react to the change in timing.  The step allows more force into the loop on a dropping ball.

I think there's a misunderstand.  You hit chops below the table, when return heavy topspin.

DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
mr.ishaq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr.ishaq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 11:18pm
when I'm away from the table I played with the same mindset, 'hit the ball at top of the bounce' although most of the ball will drop.

I've additional questions related to topic.

1. When will you hit balls with underspin? (asked by others, need further clarification)
2. When will you hit balls of opponents using pimples rubbers? Particularly for warming up counterstroke. I realised I should do upward stroke but I still didn't get the timing. My coach said I should hit earlier after bounce but I found it was easier to hit on the drop. Nevertheless, I can't get consistency for both timing.

Edited by mr.ishaq - 04/17/2013 at 11:21pm
"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." World Champion Zhang Jike
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 12:24am
it is important for you to master the 3 basic types of timing when hitting the ball. usually its better to loop when the ball starts to come down because it has less margin of error if you are a beginner. if you progress on your skills the last you should learn is looping or hitting the ball on the rise
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 12:44am

I see: you should aim to loop a chop after the top of the bounce? 

If you are back from the table and you are able to hit the ball at the top of the bounce or earlier should you should nevertheless wait for it to drop?  

I'm a little confused because in the video yo posted it appears that world class players always strive to hit the ball as early as practically possible except against chop where they appear to hit the ball at the top of the bounce.

Looping backspin

Away from table, 90% of the loops are on the drop.

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 1:37am
In the loop vs chop clips they are hitting the ball after the top of the bounce?

winterdrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winterdrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 1:57am

Hi guys. Thanks again. I think this topic will be very useful. Firstly I wanna talk about my setup. I have tried many setups. Some was very fast and stiff. But I had bad times holding ball on the table and backhand service receivings. I have used Clipper CR + Aurus Soft + Tenergy 05 for example. Yes it is very good setup, fast, very spiny and heavy. With Inf Al+ Vega Asia+Europe, I am very confident, it is slow but reliable for a less skilled player. And I have just been recovered EJ virüs :D So I think less skilled players like me shouldnt use fast blades or rubers. Even it is so late, but I have understood this.

Some additional techniques which I tried:

1-      When I tried to take ball early, my balls went out the table.

2-      When I tried to take ball lately, my balls went into the net.

3-      Best way suits my game is taking ball at the top. But I am still taking some service balls under table (bad addiction)

Stiga Infinity
Fh: Bluefire M2

Bh: Evolution ELP
NA1NSXR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA1NSXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 2:12am
You can't loop a ball on the rise.  If you think you can you have the definition of a loop (primarily grazing force) confused with a hit or drive (primarily impact force).  The reason is when you graze the ball your racket angle is limit from 0-90 degrees, oversimply and generally speaking, because you can't impart topspin on a ball if your racket angle is open (>90) or closed beyond perpendicular with the ground (-0).  That means the ball will always leave a true loop with some sort of an upward trajectory.  It is extremely difficult, if not impossible when really swinging with force, to make such a shot work.
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 2:24am

In the loop vs chop clips they are hitting the ball after the top of the bounce?

Yes, in the loop vs chop clips they are hitting the ball after the top of the bounce. This training video shows it even more clearly.

The reason why you are back from the table is to give yourself more time. If you hit at the top of the bounce, it gives you less time to react and swing. Of course it also gives your opponent less time to react to your shot. Most pros back away from the table to loop. Pros that prefer to stay near the table are more of the blocker type (eg Oh Sang Eun).

The traditional Chinese penhold style with short pips (eg. He Zhiwen) emphasized speed over power, so they played close to the table hitting and blocking balls on the rise or at the top of the bounce. This style is mostly dead as it can't match two-wing looping.

reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 2:38am

You can't loop a ball on the rise.

Yes, you can. To counterloop a topspin ball on the rise, you have to close your bat close to parallel to the table. You swing will also be close to horizontal. The exact angles will depend on the amount of spin the ball is carrying and your own force. Not an easy stroke for amateurs.

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 2:42am

Yes, in the loop vs chop clips they are hitting the ball after the top of the bounce.

The reason why you are back from the table is to give yourself more time. If you hit at the top of the bounce, it gives you less time to react and swing. Of course it also gives your opponent less time to react to your shot. Most pros back away from the table to loop.
Thanks for your help. I have never looped chop after the top of the bounce - I must give it a go.

(Just double checking...are you sure Zhang Jike is looping chop after the top of the bounce? Wouldn't that just make his task more difficult?)

In regards to looping back from the table: I understand the pros go back from the table to give themselves more time but that wasn't the question I was asking. I asked:  "If you are back from the table and you are able to hit the ball at the top of the bounce or earlier (ie if you had time) should you nevertheless wait for it to drop?"  

Edited by DDreamer - 04/18/2013 at 2:44am
NA1NSXR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA1NSXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 3:33am

Yes, you can. To counterloop a topspin ball on the rise, you have to close your bat close to parallel to the table. You swing will also be close to horizontal. The exact angles will depend on the amount of spin the ball is carrying and your own force. Not an easy stroke for amateurs.

That is not a loop.  You're not generating force primarily from grazing the ball in that case.

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 3:45am
Previously I had incorrectly always thought it was a loop. It's been an edifying day. 
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 4:34am

(Just double checking...are you sure Zhang Jike is looping chop after the top of the bounce? Wouldn't that just make his task more difficult?)

In regards to looping back from the table: I understand the pros go back from the table to give themselves more time but that wasn't the question I was asking. I asked:  "If you are back from the table and you are able to hit the ball at the top of the bounce or earlier (ie if you had time) should you nevertheless wait for it to drop?"  

Most of ZJK's loops are after the top of the bounce, a few are at the top of the bounce. It is easier loop after the top of the bounce as you know where the ball has bounced to. If you try to loop at the top of the bounce, you have to make an educated guess on how high and far the ball will bounce.

The trajectory of the ball is determined by your opponent, if you are at a certain distance from the table, you can't really control whether you're going to hit the ball on the rise, at the top, or on the drop. What you can control is how far from the table you want to play.
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 5:03am

That is not a loop.  You're not generating force primarily from grazing the ball in that case.

How is it not a loop? For simplicity, let's assume we do a loop where the bat angle is the same as our motion. It could be different, it doesn't matter. The left diagram shows a loop where the ball is at the top of the bounce, while the right shows one where the ball is rising. What's the difference?

The amount of spin, grazing, whatever, is the same.

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 5:25am

Most of ZJK's loops are after the top of the bounce, a few are at the top of the bounce. It is easier loop after the top of the bounce as you know where the ball has bounced to. If you try to loop at the top of the bounce, you have to make an educated guess on how high and far the ball will bounce.

The trajectory of the ball is determined by your opponent, if you are at a certain distance from the table, you can't really control whether you're going to hit the ball on the rise, at the top, or on the drop. What you can control is how far from the table you want to play.
Thanks again for your help - I'm learning quite a bit. I must study that Zhang Jike clip more closely as it sure looks like he is taking it at the top. Regarding knowing where the top of the bounce is: Wouldn't it be fairly easy for an experienced player know where the top of the bounce is?

When you are back from the table and have enough time can't you have some choice as to when you contact the ball - either via footwork or just striking the ball a little later or earlier? If this is the case should one still strive to hit the ball after the top of the bounce?  

Edited by DDreamer - 04/18/2013 at 5:28am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 5:41am
Going back to the early days of loop, there were big distinctions between a 'looped' ball and a flat hit, the purpose of a loop being to force a high return, not to put the ball past a player, that is where the flat hit came in. As rubbers got faster, and sp/glue came on the scene, loopdriving became more prevalent, at first contacted much later than today, and made far easier to time consistently with the introduction of the 40mm ball. Top players rarely flat hit, unless its a high/close to the net/easy ball, its too inconsistent. But to old gits like me anything with topspin is a loop.
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 7:31am

How is it not a loop? For simplicity, let's assume we do a loop where the bat angle is the same as our motion. It could be different, it doesn't matter. The left diagram shows a loop where the ball is at the top of the bounce, while the right shows one where the ball is rising. What's the difference?

The amount of spin, grazing, whatever, is the same.

What I like about this is that most people call me a flat hitter on the backhand, but what I really try to do is something like stroke 2 - my timing and form may be suboptimal, but it is still what I am trying to do.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 7:42am

Why do you care about force as opposed to "spin"?  I think the primary component of the loop is "topspin" and in general, I prefer the term "topspin" to "loop", so that the focus is on ball quality rather than stroke mechanics.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
reflecx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reflecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 8:19am

Thanks again for your help - I'm learning quite a bit. I must study that Zhang Jike clip more closely as it sure looks like he is taking it at the top. Regarding knowing where the top of the bounce is: Wouldn't it be fairly easy for an experienced player know where the top of the bounce is?

When you are back from the table and have enough time can't you have some choice as to when you contact the ball - either via footwork or just striking the ball a little later or earlier? If this is the case should one still strive to hit the ball after the top of the bounce?  

I would say that it's not so easy to judge where the top of the bounce will be for a chop. There's different trajectory, speed, spin, etc. Not to mention the different types of rubbers, like long pips, where the spin depends on (1) the type of spin you gave your opponent (2) how your opponent hits the ball. You will notice choppers win a lot of points through their opponent's mistakes - it's because it's not so easy to judge the spin.

The choice of earlier or later is really the preference of the individual player. The advantages and disadvantages of either have already been listed in this thread.
Pingvinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingvinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 8:56am

I must study that Zhang Jike clip more closely as it sure looks like he is taking it at the top. 

If you want to see plenty slow mos of ZJK: see Austrian open, ZJK vs Ma Long, video edit by ttcountenance. 
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 11:02am
@jt99sf

My comment wasn't a personal remark against you, only that I find it funny when a technical thread turns into yet another equipment thread. Also, I would think his current set up is fast enough, so a better advice, according to me, would be to tell him to include his waist, hips and legs in his strokes, cause if he finds his current setup to slow, then he is most likely just using his arm. Might even be that the equipment is to fast for him to control, so he is forced to hold back with his strokes to make them land. This is often the case with newer players and I know this because it happened to me when I was new and using a stupidly fast combination.
The holy grail
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

@jt99sf

My comment wasn't a personal remark against you, only that I find it funny when a technical thread turns into yet another equipment thread. Also, I would think his current set up is fast enough, so a better advice, according to me, would be to tell him to include his waist, hips and legs in his strokes, cause if he finds his current setup to slow, then he is most likely just using his arm. Might even be that the equipment is to fast for him to control, so he is forced to hold back with his strokes to make them land. This is often the case with newer players and I know this because it happened to me when I was new and using a stupidly fast combination.

No problem, I'm just relaying my experience with some of my students where they had a slow setup and could not hit the ball with pace. I exchanged their blade (keeping the same rubbers) for an OFF wood blade and they felt AND I saw the difference right away.
The response of their shots were different than with the slower blade, their confidence also went up. They only had their new setup for 1 month, but they said to me the change was day and night.

Edited by jt99sf - 04/18/2013 at 11:32am
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 11:47am
I think OP equipment is more than fast enough.
Generally, I don't like the term "loop". In Asia and Europe, the use "topspin".
The true "loop" is the one popular 30 yrs ago with 38mm ball + play 8-10 ft away. That style is near dead these days. Stay close to the table and BLAST balls at top of the bounce or earlier is the modern way, IMO.
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 11:51am

<span style="line-height: 1.3;">Most of ZJK's loops are after the top of the bounce, a few are at the top of the bounce. It is easier loop after the top of the bounce as you know where the ball has bounced to. If you try to loop at the top of the bounce, you have to make an educated guess on how high and far the ball will bounce.</span>

What I've been told by a couple of professionals, plus Stellan, is that the preferred contact point for almost all professional players is the top of the bounce. That includes against both top spin and under spin. There are times when it's tactically useful to loop a ball early in the bounce, when you want to quickly send the ball back (usually because your opponent is close to the table and doesn't have time to react). There are also times when you're forced to loop a ball after the top of the bounce, such as with a half-long serve. It's less common to intentionally plan to loop after the top but it does come up occasionally, such as when you want to slow down the pace but ramp up the spin. Looking at videos of pros, you have to assume that their decisions to hit late, early, or on top are usually tactical decisions rather than limitations in their technique.

The general advantage of looping at the top of the bounce is you can get the most drive (speed and spin) with the least risk. Looping heavy chop early is particularly challenging. Hitting any ball late isn't usually harder but it is less powerful. Still, against blockers and close-to-the-table hitters, slower spiny loops (such as from looping after the bounce) can be effective, at least at the amateur level.

When we train at the Stellan camps, most of the time we are told to aim for the top of the bounce. However, there are times where we specifically drill the other times. One simple drill is to loop FH against a block. Loop the first two balls quick off the bounce, then two at the top of the bounce, and then two late, after the top. Then you go back to the top, then early again. The idea is to give you a feel for the different shots.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 1:05pm

I would say that it's not so easy to judge where the top of the bounce will be for a chop. There's different trajectory, speed, spin, etc. Not to mention the different types of rubbers, like long pips, where the spin depends on (1) the type of spin you gave your opponent (2) how your opponent hits the ball. You will notice choppers win a lot of points through their opponent's mistakes - it's because it's not so easy to judge the spin.
The choice of earlier or later is really the preference of the individual player. The advantages and disadvantages of either have already been listed in this thread.

This whole thread is burdened by the garbled use of terms, and is giving a distorted view of what pros do. If you watch that kong linghui video right through, though he started off looping slightly after the bounce later on you will see him executing drives and kills at peak bounce both in coaching mode and in match situations.
Its worth reminding ourselves that the purpose of topspin is to give margin for error while applying power to a low ball. It has a drawback in that it is less devastating to the opponent than a flat shot.
Accordingly pros while looking for every opportunity to put the ball away flat use topspin drives when they cant.
There are two basic types:-
against low, or heavy chop;
The Lifting Drive which is taken late with vertical stroke and has a high arc and high kick
against higher chop or float;
The Sinking Drive which is taken at or near peak with a more forward but still brushing stroke. the arc is lower, and so the ball dives toward the floor. Many times a player with the talent to Flat Kill, may do so rather than use the Sinking Drive.
Of course there are the other variations against chop like Dummy Loop
and Roll but lets leave those for another time.
I think the best advice to the people reading this thread is that peak bounce is still the optimum point to be attacking the ball, but if you find the ball too low or the chop too heavy, then you can resort to the Lifting Drive.
Against Topspin its a little different. Its much easier to spin the ball
and for that reason many amateurs lack power because they get spin happy.
Its really important to transfer weight through the and DRIVE it not just brush it. My favourite exponent of this is still Kim Taek Soo.

inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 5:20pm

Usually off the table you hit in your optimal range for topspin.  Every player has a different optimal range where they hit topspins the best.  It's like this imaginary area in front of your arm span.  So a ball usually passes through this optimal range twice.  Once when rising and once when falling.

The rest is up to the player to decide when to take the ball.  The variations are too much for this thread to describe.  But any serious player would have a strategy to return the following on the rise or the drop when back off the table.

1) Lobs (topspin, side spin)
2) loops
3) chops
4) side spins
5) long push

Some coaches teach different structures to the game for beginners.  Some are more about footwork, some more on blocking, some more about counter hitting.  So a lot of work is done on hitting during rising or near the peak of the rise in the beginning.

Through fun and games, players start to develop a feeling for the ball.  Then you can teach about "rubbing" and friction to create more spin.  At some point, you teach about power and off the table, next thing you know you are hitting loops after the ball peaks and is falling.  The arc is long since it is off the table, some players don't even know the ball is falling, they just "feel" that it is the right time to hit the ball.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic