Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking ball at the highest point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jagged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jagged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by reflecx reflecx wrote:

The reason why you are back from the table is to give yourself more time. If you hit at the top of the bounce, it gives you less time to react and swing. Of course it also gives your opponent less time to react to your shot. Most pros back away from the table to loop. Pros that prefer to stay near the table are more of the blocker type (eg Oh Sang Eun).

I agree with you. Loop backspin just slightly after the peak of the bounce. Reason being it is less spinny compared to the top of the bounce and you can put more time into the backswing, where you can put more weight onto the right foot (for a right-hander) by bending the knee more and going lower and rotating the torso backwards moreso as to generate more power to overcome the backspin.

Sponsored Links

NA1NSXR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NA1NSXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by NA1NSXR NA1NSXR wrote:

You can't loop a ball on the rise.

Yes, you can. To counterloop a topspin ball on the rise, you have to close your bat close to parallel to the table. You swing will also be close to horizontal. The exact angles will depend on the amount of spin the ball is carrying and your own force. Not an easy stroke for amateurs.

That is not a loop.  You're not generating force primarily from grazing the ball in that case.

Why do you care about force as opposed to "spin"?  I think the primary component of the loop is "topspin" and in general, I prefer the term "topspin" to "loop", so that the focus is on ball quality rather than stroke mechanics.

Because even flat hits have topspin.  By using the word hit/drive/loop you differentiate between 3 distinctive strokes which in the case of this thread, actually completely determines where you should take the ball.  I don't even really care on continuing with this thread, I've been playing since the 90's and on this forum since 2003 and actually forced myself off because of the tendency of conversations on this forum to go this way.  I'm perfectly clear on this subject for myself and I thought I would contribute.  Whether or not people want to take it or not is not really something I care to stress over too much.  If you want to play word games or "loop" balls before the top of the bounce be my guest.

Edited by NA1NSXR - 04/18/2013 at 10:01pm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 10:32pm
A brushing block over or near the table against a loop is a textbook shot. This shot requires you to contact the ball before the top of the bounce. The heavier the incoming topspin, the earlier contact needs to be. Counterlooping close to the table is also a textbook shot. CNT players do it all the time against weaker opponents. Again the requirements are you have to contact the ball before the top of the bounce and keep your center of gravity low.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 11:07pm
There is no optimal point to take the ball.  You hit it as early as your stroke and footwork allows.  For example, if you like to loop with a bigger motion like me, then most of the time you'll be taking the ball at the highest point or when falling.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 6:29am

Yes, you can. To counterloop a topspin ball on the rise, you have to close your bat close to parallel to the table. You swing will also be close to horizontal. The exact angles will depend on the amount of spin the ball is carrying and your own force. Not an easy stroke for amateurs.

That is not a loop.  You're not generating force primarily from grazing the ball in that case.

Why do you care about force as opposed to "spin"?  I think the primary component of the loop is "topspin" and in general, I prefer the term "topspin" to "loop", so that the focus is on ball quality rather than stroke mechanics.

Because even flat hits have topspin.  By using the word hit/drive/loop you differentiate between 3 distinctive strokes which in the case of this thread, actually completely determines where you should take the ball.  I don't even really care on continuing with this thread, I've been playing since the 90's and on this forum since 2003 and actually forced myself off because of the tendency of conversations on this forum to go this way.  I'm perfectly clear on this subject for myself and I thought I would contribute.  Whether or not people want to take it or not is not really something I care to stress over too much.  If you want to play word games or "loop" balls before the top of the bounce be my guest.

I think one problem is that you are assuming that one can't get incredible amounts of topspin taking the ball early.  In my experience, that is not true, especially if the ball comes off the table enough to make a full stroke.  It's all about the brushing motion.  The brushing motion that creates topspin can be created by going over the ball or upwards behind the ball.  The brushing motion that creates chop can be done by going downwards on the ball or underneath the ball.

I don't find the names of the strokes that important - just their effectiveness when playing.  I do agree however that for most people, it is easier to generate the most spin by taking the ball after the peak of the bounce because of more time to set up and a larger upward stroke.

Flat hits can have topspin, but they are not spin oriented strokes - they are supposed to be hit mostly with the ball on the center on the paddle.  They have spin primarily because of how inverted grips the ball.

Drives are speed oriented strokes.  There are topspin drives or smashes (flat hit drives).  I consider a topspin drive to be a loop, but other people do not.

Some of the people who debate you have been playing in different capacities just as long as you have.  One of the reasons I respect a forumer (who shall remain unnamed for now) on this site is that he rarely ever brings his rating into the discussion when debating things - he just asks questions and acts as if he is learning something new when he thinks other people are saying nonsense.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/19/2013 at 6:34am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 11:30am
Players should be aware that when hitting a topspin ball with inverted rubber.  So no matter how you hit the ball, because of spin inversion, you will have topspin on the return ball.

Players can choose to add more topspin to their return shot...

But back on point...if you're looping off the table, you'll probably take the shot as the ball is falling.

It is pretty hard most of the time to take the ball at the peak of the bounce off the table, because the ball is pretty high at its peak.  You'll be doing an overhead smash at this point, unless you're like 180cm tall player...

If you're at the table or over the table, usually you'll take the ball before or at the peak...

Most players practice taking balls at various times in its arc...hopes this helps.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Players should be aware that when hitting a topspin ball with inverted rubber.  So no matter how you hit the ball, because of spin inversion, you will have topspin on the return ball.

Come again? Pretty sure this is a mistake on your part, cause surely you do know that you can chop back a loop, using inverted, and create backspin instead of topspin?
The holy grail
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Come again? Pretty sure this is a mistake on your part, cause surely you do know that you can chop back a loop, using inverted, and create backspin instead of topspin?

Every surface has a limit on the amount of topspin that can be inverted and the stroke matters as well, but power7 is generally saying the truth.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/19/2013 at 4:40pm
Cybershape Carbon
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 4:48pm

Every surface has a limit on the amount of topspin that can be inverted and the stroke matters as well, but power7 is generally saying the truth.

So, you are saying that if someone loops at me and i chop it back, with inverted, the ball will still have topspin? Cause, then we have very different experience of the game...
The holy grail
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 4:58pm

So, you are saying that if someone loops at me and i chop it back, with inverted, the ball will still have topspin? Cause, then we have very different experience of the game...

What he is saying is that if someone loops with topspin and you block or hit the ball with inverted, inverted will change the direction of rotation of the ball and send it back with topspin towards the player, unlike say anti, which will let the ball rotate through and send it back as backspin.

The stroke  matters, so you are actually applying rotation to the ball to create the backspin when you chop.
Cybershape Carbon
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 8:45pm
don't worry about all this other stuff the person just needs ti hit the ball at the top of the bounce reguardless
 he is just learning

Edited by smackman - 04/19/2013 at 8:46pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2013 at 10:21pm

I was addressing the issue being discuss earlier about driving and looping topspin balls.  There seems to be confusion about how much "rubbing" is needed to creating topspin.

When returning high quality topspin balls, not much is really needed to return it will a loop-like arc, you can stand close to the table and just block, mimic the motion of the greatest loop ever, and it will look like a loop....great way to fake an opponent on how much spin is on the returning ball.  

The point being a high quality loop has a lot of topspin on it, that even spin inversion from a simple block using good quality inverted rubber will have a lot of topspin on it.

Chopping a topspin ball off the table are all usually done below table level and I'll leave it at that...so not to confuse the poor guy trying to learn the game.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2013 at 2:18am

I was addressing the issue being discuss earlier about driving and looping topspin balls.  There seems to be confusion about how much "rubbing" is needed to creating topspin.
When returning high quality topspin balls, not much is really needed to return it will a loop-like arc, you can stand close to the table and just block, mimic the motion of the greatest loop ever, and it will look like a loop....great way to fake an opponent on how much spin is on the returning ball.  
The point being a high quality loop has a lot of topspin on it, that even spin inversion from a simple block using good quality inverted rubber will have a lot of topspin on it.
Chopping a topspin ball off the table are all usually done below table level and I'll leave it at that...so not to confuse the poor guy trying to learn the game.

I thought it was something like that, but reacted to the comment about balls always having some topspin on them. Since you said no matter how you hit them. I do agree with your statement now that you have cleared things up and also, it's almost impossible to hit a no spin ball with a regular sheet of inverted.
The holy grail
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2013 at 1:18pm
ALMOST impossible, but the old geezer brigade of Inverted J-Pen players are very adept at killing spin (and pace whenever they want) of your spinny loops by taking it off the bounce with soft hands and a slight, almost unseen motion of the bat at impact. Damn those good skilled geezers and their #@*&%!! blocking.

Edited by BH-Man - 04/20/2013 at 1:22pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2013 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by winterdrops winterdrops wrote:

Hi,

I have some problems while taking ball. As far as my observations It is advised to take ball at the highest point. But some players told me that I should wait the ball to loose some of its spin and power. Although I play as a beginner-intermediate player, pro players I have watched on youtube often take the ball very low height . 

What would you say me about this? Thanks.
Maybe have a look at this: http://www.laola1.tv/en/int/table-tennis/ettu/ettu-cup-match-1-daniel-gorak-pol-grigory-vlasov-rus/video/497-3024-117359.html and try to see when the players take the ball... Enjoy.

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
winterdrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winterdrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 4:10pm
Please watch this. A chinese coach explains that you should hit the ball at the highest point close to tabl, near and mid distance you should hit the ball early descending position. It may be useful for the topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ddVkXRh1UeY#t=855s

Stiga Infinity
Fh: Bluefire M2

Bh: Evolution ELP
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by winterdrops winterdrops wrote:

Please watch this. A chinese coach explains that you should hit the ball at the highest point close to tabl, near and mid distance you should hit the ball early descending position. It may be useful for the topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ddVkXRh1UeY#t=855s

Just to note, the coach didn't say you "must". He is just mentioning how Ma Long does it.

Generally if you are close, you will hit it on the rise or at the highest point.
If you are further back, you will let the ball dip, but generally Chinese style don't let it dip a lot whereby Euro style lets it dip very low.
winterdrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winterdrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 5:07pm
Yes, you are right.
Obviously Ma Long is one of the best players in the world. This could be seen as an aspect of right technique.
Stiga Infinity
Fh: Bluefire M2

Bh: Evolution ELP
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 7:40pm

I think one problem is that you are assuming that one can't get incredible amounts of topspin taking the ball early.  In my experience, that is not true, especially if the ball comes off the table enough to make a full stroke.  It's all about the brushing motion.  The brushing motion that creates topspin can be created by going over the ball or upwards behind the ball.  The brushing motion that creates chop can be done by going downwards on the ball or underneath the ball.

I don't find the names of the strokes that important - just their effectiveness when playing.  I do agree however that for most people, it is easier to generate the most spin by taking the ball after the peak of the bounce because of more time to set up and a larger upward stroke.

Flat hits can have topspin, but they are not spin oriented strokes - they are supposed to be hit mostly with the ball on the center on the paddle.  They have spin primarily because of how inverted grips the ball.

Drives are speed oriented strokes.  There are topspin drives or smashes (flat hit drives).  I consider a topspin drive to be a loop, but other people do not.

Some of the people who debate you have been playing in different capacities just as long as you have.  One of the reasons I respect a forumer (who shall remain unnamed for now) on this site is that he rarely ever brings his rating into the discussion when debating things - he just asks questions and acts as if he is learning something new when he thinks other people are saying nonsense.

Totally agree that you can generate huge amounts of topspin even when taking the ball early. Also blade angle is mainly used to adjust the trajectory (controlling how much you lift/drive the ball).  The major factor in spin production is the stroke itself. Look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TG78y1EEgJY#t=52s

ZJK's final loop is almost open, yet you can see how much side-topspin he generated using the stroke. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2013 at 8:45pm
For me to keep the loops low and fast I prefer hitting the ball on the drop at about table level or sometimes lower if I'm moving.  I like to make contact on the lower half of the paddle and rip the FH over my forehead.  Recovery is slower for this shot, so it is usually done when I'm pretty confident that it will be a winner or the return will be pretty weak.

If I'm taking the shot at the highest point, and it is not a drive, then I'm probably looping a backspin closer to the table.

Then there is counter hitting drills with beginners, where I take it at the top of the bounce, keeping the ball in play will much less spin...

DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic