Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Teams instead of Nationals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teams instead of Nationals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teams instead of Nationals
    Posted: 04/30/2021 at 10:49am
I just saw that Ed Hogshead is putting on a teams tournament in the San Francisco bay area at the end of June (omnipong)  It appears to be the same format as the Baltimore teams.  Ed always puts on great tournaments so this should be a good one.  A much better price than Baltimore.  Hope to see all of you there.
Sponsored Links

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2021 at 11:00am
Very interesting.  Grand Opening tournament advertised as ITTF level playing conditions for all, 1000 lux lighting, ITTF purple flooring, nice prize money.  Kanak Jha will be there.  They've pulled out all the stops.  
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2021 at 12:01pm
Hi,

And the biggest part of this announcement is the opening of a major club.

Super good news!

Thanks.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2021 at 6:19pm
There may be one or three teams named Trouble Makers at that team tourney...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2021 at 7:11pm
So entry form says best 4 of 7 matches with modified Swathing Cup format.

So I found that first 3 matches are normally
A-X, B-Y, and C-Z
Is this what the event will use?

What are the matchups for the next 4 matches if needed?

Mark
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 6:52am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Very interesting.  Grand Opening tournament advertised as ITTF level playing conditions for all, 1000 lux lighting, ITTF purple flooring, nice prize money.  Kanak Jha will be there.  They've pulled out all the stops.  

Kanak Jha will be there.

My big question is: Who will be on Kanak's team?  He is Butterfly sponsored so . . .

Also of note that it is a Xiom-based major club.  I know not others in the U.S.

Thanks.

Edited by DonnOlsen - 05/02/2021 at 8:14am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 3:09pm
There is another Xiom Bay Area club that trains many junior players, Fremont Table Tennis Academy... led by Shashin Shodhan.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

There is another Xiom Bay Area club that trains many junior players, Fremont Table Tennis Academy... led by Shashin Shodhan.

The Fremont table tennis academy is now sponsored by Butterfly.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

If this is understood as the Fremont Academy has changed from Xiom to Butterfly in sponsorship, then I find this interesting.  

A number of noteworthy clubs recently became JOOLA clubs in a complete transformation, in this regard.  Such a change is fundamental.  Moreover, it was reported that Triangle Badminton and Table Tennis Center in North Carolina changed to JOOLA during this time period, only to, after a management change, revert back to being a Butterfly club, as it was prior to the JOOLA change.

It seems as if something of a club sponsorship dynamic is in play among the major clubs in this country.

Thanks.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Oh man, now they gotta invest more thousands of USD in uniforms, I think they bought a shipping container of Xiom uniforms for the kiddos in their program...
paladin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 1:17am
It is not quite the same format as the Joola (not Baltimore) Teams. The Joola Teams uses a "full" Swaythling Cup format for 95% of their rounds. 3 against 3, first to win 5 matches (max 9 matches total).

A-X
B-Y
C-Z
B-X
A-Z
C-Y
B-Z
C-X
A-Y

In Division 1 at the Joola teams they switch to "first to win 3 matches" (max 5 matches total) from the quarterfinals onward, which I never quite understood the rationale behind.

This new tournament, the Grand Opening Team Challenge, says their format is modified Swaythling Cup format, "first to win 4" (max 7 matches total). I definitely think they should post the match order on their official entry form so people know what it is.

My speculation is that the Grand Opening Team Challenge tie will involve the "top" player from each team playing the final round "tiebreaker" match if it comes down to it to make things interesting. So the first 3 matches should be the same as "full" Swaythling Cup, and the last match would be A against Z (this is my guess). After that it's a question of what the 4th, 5th, and 6th matches will be. No one should play 2 matches in a row, and it should be that all 3 players per team play 2 matches in the first 6 so:

1. A-X
2. B-Y
3. C-Z

in the next 3 matches, 'BCA' is not possible if the 7th match is A-Z (because then A would play 2 consecutive matches, match 6 + match 7). So the next 3 matches should go 'BAC' or 'ABC'.

Case 1: BAC
4. B-X (B-Y is already played, can't be B-Z b/c then Z plays 2 matches in a row)
5. A-Y (A-X is already played, can't be A-Z since this should be the 7th match)
6. C-Z (this is the only possible 6th match given match 4 + 5 above, but is not possible since it has already been played)
so this sequence is not possible

Therefore matches 4-6 should follow the second case, meaning 'ABC':
4. A-Y (can't be A-Z, this is match 7)
5. B-Z (can't be B-X b/c X has to play the 6th match)
6. C-X (can't be C-Y because then Y plays 3 matches)

And the 7th match is:
7. A-Z

It's always interesting to see tournaments with new formats. Of course it's possible the 7th match is not A against Z and my analysis above will be wrong. I don't know of any international events using a 7-match system, otherwise we could speculate with more certainty.

Too bad doubles is not taken very seriously in the US, otherwise I'd like to see some tournaments follow a format like the Bundesliga team match system with 4 singles and 1 doubles too.

Edited by paladin - 05/17/2021 at 1:18am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 3:42am
The Bay Area Swan PP CLC Team League had a format that included a doubles match. I could only participate in 2017 I live too far away to show up much. I really loved that format, I was always seeking to be on that doubles match.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 3:44am
I registered a team for the 888 TTC Teams, MTS registered one, I did my best to convince my friends to start two more teams, we will see how many trouble makers team up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic