Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who has a returnboard?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Who has a returnboard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who has a returnboard?
    Posted: 09/10/2009 at 3:18am
Any advice on how to make one? The ones for sale are extremely costly. I'm planning to buy some cheap chinese rubbers to attach to it
Sponsored Links

TheWall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 3:53am
I've no idea how to make one but if you make any progress please let me know too. :)
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 4:16am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_efg2Pv6E&feature=related

It would not as good as the returnboard, but you could start with this idea.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 4:20am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 4:27am

Looks very good I wonder if its hard to make. Seems like it just need stands and something to hold up a plank of wood at an angle

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 4:37am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 5:09am
It is relatively easy to be made but difficult to play on. Buy a lot of 20 rubbers from china-friend (see that they are not cut on the corners), one or two furniture plates from your local Mr.Bricolage or Praktiker, the rest is left to your constructive imagination.
photojournalist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photojournalist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

It is relatively easy to be made but difficult to play on. Buy a lot of 20 rubbers from china-friend (see that they are not cut on the corners), one or two furniture plates from your local Mr.Bricolage or Praktiker, the rest is left to your constructive imagination.

this is what I did. furniture deck, cheap 729 rubbers, rubber cemment = return board. I agree it's difficult to play on. It's initially fun, but eventually ... practice partner is 1000 times better. It's now being used to evaluate amount of spin during practice serves.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 10:56am
I've ordered rubber for this as well. Will build one next week. If you want I'll post my "design" on this forum later. I'm planning on making 2 double return boards that are small enough to put on different positions on the table so I can practice placement loops.
Back to table tennis...
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 1:55pm
Here are my first steps :)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 9:00pm
hows the bounce on the board with 729 rubbers?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
photojournalist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photojournalist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

hows the bounce on the board with 729 rubbers?

I don't have anything to compare it with ... but I think it's decent enough. It's like playing a blocker except that it doesn't compensate. So a change in your stroke will send the ball out (too much top spin) or to the sides.

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 11:55pm
nice, I will try and make one myself.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2009 at 1:58am
i bought an 8x4 board at the home depot to have a table in the laundry room (the real deal is in the garage) and i could play against the wall. the key was to put the end of the table 2 feet from the wall. it takes skills to keep the ball in play. the return is unreal (like a hard bat blocking for you) but it's all about being able to quickly adjust. the skills it takes to do it right will translate in a better eye hand coordination when playing at the club.
I just wanted to bring that precision in case some people think it's bs. it's not :)
rupertgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupertgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2009 at 7:07am
I'm going to try make one too :)
I'm thinking one side of the plank to be cheap inverted rubbers and the other side to simulate anti spin/longpips rubbers.
What material do you guys suggest that would simulate antispin/longpips rubbers?
And I saw in that foriegn youtube clip of that guy that made homemade ones, any idea what that black sheet would be?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2009 at 8:34am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

i bought an 8x4 board at the home depot to have a table in the laundry room (the real deal is in the garage) and i could play against the wall. the key was to put the end of the table 2 feet from the wall. it takes skills to keep the ball in play. the return is unreal (like a hard bat blocking for you) but it's all about being able to quickly adjust. the skills it takes to do it right will translate in a better eye hand coordination when playing at the club.
I just wanted to bring that precision in case some people think it's bs. it's not :)

So you dont plant like normal...its like playing a different game therefore quite hard to improve your game?
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2009 at 12:04pm

Practicing with good returnboard is no doubt increasing the consistency of your real topspin.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic