Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to make a $5.00 ball picker upper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
joebulatao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2013 at 10:23am
Hey, I want to thank all you guys for talking MyPingPongBuddy on MyTT.  I just had 5 sales yesterday from buyers who came across your discusssions about MPPB here at  MyTT!! Muchas Gracias!! 
This shows that you have a lot of tt fans out there reading your blogs. Adios Amigos!!
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

the Killerspin model is so slick!!! I would not spend the $60 because my lower tt budget but I can understand why somebody who can spare them would Clap

http://www.killerspin.com/equipment/robots/kollect-ball-picker-upper.html

Looks like they improved on the design of mypingpongbuddy
I wonder if the maker of mypingpongbuddy has a patent.

As much as I like the mypingpongbuddy, it definitely has some flaws:
1.  The neck is fragile - the angle could have been done w/ pvc connectors.   When 1 broke, I saw someone fix it like that and it was much more stable.
2.  Not being able to collapse into itself to save some space.
3.  Corners would be easier with a square or rectangular shape (90 degree angle)

It looks like killerspin thought of those 2 of the 3 problems.
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2013 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

The design is to close between MyPingPongBuddy and the Killerspin Kollect. 

I wonder if one licenses the design to the other. MPPB was first wasnt' it?

I don't think mppb has any patent.

Not that it matters. I can see Chinese knockoffs coming sometime in the near future of the killerspin model. And once other retailers get the killerspin, we'll see what the discount pricing will be.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2013 at 11:13pm
This is a review.  I saw this thread a few weeks ago while I was still lurking and liked the design of the mppb. Since I am no longer just lurking I thought I would post this review.

I bought 3 mppb for $105.  I thought it was a good design. I know I needed a way of picking up TT balls the is faster then the Newgy Pong Pals.  I bought one for my coach because one of his net broke and one for the club.  I haven't been to the club for a week to deliver the club mppb but the coach and and I have really liked ours.

Basically mppb is a badminton racquet that has its handle bent at about 45 degrees and attached to PVC piping.  The net that collects and hold the balls is attached to the badminton racquet with fishing line.  Fishing line is strung across the badminton racquet at intervals and tension so that the fishing line will allow the balls to be picked up but not fall out.   

My concern is how will the fishing line hold up but then again it is only fishing line.  It should be easy to repair if the fishing line that keep the balls in and also attaches the net to the badminton racquet  should break. The PVC handle is long.  Long enough to easily reach under tables to get to balls.  The only problem is that one ball in the corner needs to be first rolled out then then captured but over all I find that I can pick up balls more quickly with the mppb.

So far I would say that mppb is a good design and works as shown in the videos above.

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by RJTT RJTT wrote:

I might try this design next. You could make this out of PVC pipe and small bungy cords.

Did this member or has anyone else tried making this?

So far in this thread we've talked about the problem of a round headed for balls in the corner.

Looks like the MPPB design is the best (although still round head) but some say has flimsy neck. And the Killerspin model is nice as well but more expensive. Still $45 for the mppb.

Does that mean the guy in the video above has the best design? Similar in concept to mppb. Much cheaper (PVC is cheap). 

Has anybody tried making this? Would bungy cords last longer than fishing line?

Edited by suds79 - 02/10/2014 at 11:51am
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2016 at 2:26pm
Bumping this thread. 

Anybody else have some DIY designs they've tried since? Looking to make something, but having trouble deciding which sort of design to try. 
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2016 at 5:04pm
Haven't tried making one but if you want a cheap DIY design, all you need are

- plastic gallon milk container or empty 2 or 3 liter soda bottle.  I've seen designs using gallon size buckets but they seem a bit unwieldy.
- broom stick
- fish line
- duct tape or screws/nuts

Cut the top off the container to allow emptying collected balls.
Cut the bottom off the container between 30-45 deg angle to allow collecting balls under the table.

Drill holes around the perimeter of the bottom of the container and attach fish line from one hole to the other.  The fish line should be spaced slightly smaller than the diameter of a TT ball.  The flexibility of the fish line will allow you to push down to pop the balls into the container.  When you're done stringing, it should resemble a tennis racket. 

Attach the broomstick to the container using the duct tape or screws/nuts and you're done.

OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Teutonic View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teutonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2021 at 4:53am
Brilliant idea, you may also have a look to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoXv5tzzr8&t=78s
Teutonic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic