Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quick Q: Is it safe to leave racket in car trunk?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Quick Q: Is it safe to leave racket in car trunk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Q: Is it safe to leave racket in car trunk?
    Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:01pm
sunny day, 75 fahrenheit outside temp.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Sponsored Links

Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:13pm
In the car where it's cooler but out of sight of the cokeheads.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Only if you have long pips.
Jagged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jagged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:25pm
I'm told not to leave a baby alone in the car. Might kill the baby. Is this racket your baby? :)
Personally I wouldn't wanna risk warping the wood, especially with all that different layers and glue and stuff.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:25pm
try it. then give us a review  

and ill give a review on leaving my bat inside my house

Edited by mon22 - 06/20/2011 at 1:26pm
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:29pm
it won't warp. It's NCT! I'm more worried about the rubbers.
anyway I repositioned the car under the shade of a tree. Should be good now. 

Edited by addoydude - 06/20/2011 at 1:30pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
iCanLoopHard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iCanLoopHard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:37pm
.........................................................................................................................................
Sponsored by Sportscraft
US Rating 2004
MJ fh:to5 bh:t64
photino,klhs
marcohere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcohere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 1:41pm
I wouldn't do it.  Temps in the car can be 30 degrees hotter than outside temps depending on the color of the car and if it is in direct sunlight, etc.  You can quickly ruin $80 worth of rubber (or $150 if you use Tenergy).  Even if it isn't ruined, it might simply become less elastic by 5% or 10%.  Not worth the risk. 
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2011 at 2:06pm
No.
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 8:18am
Ive known of blades being warped and rubbers being cooked in cars before. Wasnt even in direct sunlight. So dont, just bring it in with you, its not even that big anyway. Unlike a tennis/badminton/squash racket, whose strings get damaged if left in the car too.
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 9:30am
It was fine after I moved the car in the shade. Left in the trunk the whole afternoon. I checked mid-afternoon, it was not hot in the trunk, it was a good shade. Next time I will bring an ice cooler and put the blade inside (without ice of course). I read the cooler can keep temp 20 degrees F lower.

the trunk is better than inside the car cabin - doesn't get as hot.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 9:45am

Thermocase is the name of your savior

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 9:54am
thermocase looks good. But for keeping in the trunk an ice cooler is more versatile. Also I already have an ice cooler that gets used only rarely, so i'l just put it in the car instead of stored in the basement. Can be handy for groceries too.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 11:23am
I always take my equipment inside. The rubbers will be the first to get damaged - coming unglued, warping, showing discoloration, etc. The case is small, just take it with you.
Back to table tennis...
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 12:22pm
I always left my TT gears in the trunk of my car including the water based glue and the racket(s) summers after summers and everything was just fine.  It is not that hot in the trunk of the car, though.

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 2:26pm
To ThaiLe re the Bay Area,

"The coldest winter I every spent was one summer in San Francisco".  Erroneously attributed to Mark Twain but still a sentiment many believe.

Bet your experience does not translate that well to  Phoenix.

Mark
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

"The coldest winter I every spent was one summer in San Francisco".  Erroneously attributed to Mark Twain but still a sentiment many believe.

Mark

Temperature in the trunk of a black-color car in Vegas had been measured at over 180-degree F in summer... LOL
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Mark

Temperature in the trunk of a black-color car in Vegas had been measured at over 180-degree F in summer... LOL

You both are right.  I forgot about the location factor.

Anyway, I agree that it is NOT a good idea to leave the racket in the car at all then...Big smile

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 4:22pm
under the sun, no. In the shade, yes. Just make sure the shade will not move away from your car because temps rise pretty quickly.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 4:27pm
Just use common sense. Confused  its not rocket science.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2011 at 9:12pm
One of my blades bent a lot maybe from the heat when it on the way to me.
So maybe it better not to leave your racket in the trunk.
jcleong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcleong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 12:12am
Dont!!! it might get stolen!
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 12:17am
I think if you're just keeping the paddle in a case + sports bag and then putting it in the trunk while getting from the home to the club and vice versa, that's fine. I wouldn't just store it there all day though. 75 degrees is nothing, that's a nice day to me.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Are you talking about the paddle in your avatar?
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 6:06am
[QUOTE=mjamja]

Like Smile
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2021 at 3:24am
Replying to an old thread, but this was actually something I was thinking about earlier. A few days ago I didn't get a chance to go home first after playing table tennis and so the paddle was sitting inside of its case in the trunk from around 6pm to 9pm when the temp was around 75F outside with humidity in the 70% or so range. The sun was out for around an hour and a half until sunset and I can't recall if there was any shade in the parking spot.

Fast forward to today and there were several instances where the ball fell off the paddle instantly on contact. I'm not sure if the rubber was damaged in the trunk the other day or if there was humidity in the playing room today. Didn't seem to be getting as much grip as usual on a double sided Tenergy setup.

Would a few hours in the trunk turn otherwise good Tenergy sheets into nearly being anti? I actually played decently well but the spin and grip appeared to be a bit off. Still not sure if it was room conditions or the paddle.

Edited by FinalFight - 04/26/2021 at 3:32am
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2021 at 2:49pm
If rubber has still not regained its grip after cleaning, as a last choice, try rubbing in a dab of cooking oil. Wrap the bat in cling film for 24hrs+ then play.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic