Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will the Tokyo Olympics be held as planned?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will the Tokyo Olympics be held as planned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2021 at 12:44am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Meanwhile a few weeks ago in New Zealand

I wish I was a New Zealander.
Sponsored Links

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2021 at 9:43pm
https://www.ittf.com/2021/05/20/olympic-table-tennis-teams-confirmed-tokyo/
Here are the participants. From what I see, the first 2 people per country will play singles and teams while the 3rd person plays mixed doubles and teams. Which means everyone gets a chance at winning two medals. 
Some interesting mixed doubles. Of course Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen will be a treat. Lee Sangsu and Choi Hyooju. Veterans Zhou Xin and Crystal Wang from USA will also be interesting to watch. It'll be cool to see Mizutani and Miu Hirano too.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2021 at 10:00pm
All players in a qualified team play in teams event, but mixed doubles are qualified separately.  Jun Mizutani will be paired with Mima Ito.  They've got a legitimate shot at Gold.

Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 07/11/2021 at 10:13pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Some interesting mixed doubles. Of course Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen will be a treat. Lee Sangsu and Choi Hyooju. Veterans Zhou Xin and Crystal Wang from USA will also be interesting to watch. It'll be cool to see Mizutani and Miu Hirano too.

All the qualifiers can be seen on this page:

No mixed doubles for the US. North America will be represented by Canada (Mo Zhang and Eugene Wang).

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 8:58am
Also, Crystal Wang is not on the Olympic team.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 1:41pm
Mute, voiceless Olympic Venues void of any public inside.   Phantasmagory like hell, even worse than Desert Island lost in the sea ,
It is absolutely distressing that public will not be allowed to enter playing arenas in all sports.

Edited by igorponger - 07/12/2021 at 2:07pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the info grasshopper. Now I think Korea has the biggest chance besides China, with Lee Sangsu and Jeon Jihee. But Mima has a chance at 3 medals!!!! 
I think Crystal is her English name. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 7:15pm

Thanks for the info grasshopper. Now I think Korea has the biggest chance besides China, with Lee Sangsu and Jeon Jihee. But Mima has a chance at 3 medals!!!! 
I think we may be talking about two different people.  I'm referring to https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/athletes/Huijing-Wang whose American name I think is Katherine.  Perhaps you're referring to https://www.teamusa.org/Athletes/wa/crystal-wang ?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

I think we may be talking about two different people.  I'm referring to https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/athletes/Huijing-Wang whose American name I think is Katherine.  Perhaps you're referring to https://www.teamusa.org/Athletes/wa/crystal-wang ?
Just to clarify, the elder 41 yo Huijing Wang made the team. The 19 yr old Crystal Wang did not.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 9:24pm
DECIDED.
All Tokyo venues will be closed up for public entrance.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/08/tokyo-to-be-put-under-state-of-emergency-for-duration-of-2020-olympic-games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Edited by igorponger - 07/12/2021 at 9:48pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2021 at 1:54pm
Hey grasshopper my bad I was referring to Crystal Huang. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2021 at 2:00pm
I've been watching the China Olympic warm-ups. I have to take my hat off the improvements. Not too long ago my ears were bleeding from the off-pitch commentators. Now my ears are so happy. I have no idea if the commentator knows what she is saying, but what a sweet voice.
KLHfans View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLHfans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2021 at 3:30pm
The female commentator is much better than Yang Yin.  
She is not a professional table tennis player before and she actually graduated from college studying some form of communication degree.  
She also knows a lot of the background of the table tennis history and rules so that she can explain any controversary during a match very effectively.  In our Chinese word, she is not an outsider person who knows nothing much about the field.  

It's a big improvement.  

Of course, she is no match compared to Liu Guo Liang or maybe even Deng Yaping.
But definitely better than Yan Ying.

klhfans
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2021 at 8:09pm
   JAPANESE PLANNING NOISY ATTACKS.
500 young gooneys with woozuzela pipes will blow your mind away. Very smart tactics by JTTA aiming to upset China team outright.   

Edited by igorponger - 07/15/2021 at 2:06am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by KLHfans KLHfans wrote:

The female commentator is much better than Yang Yin.  
She is not a professional table tennis player before and she actually graduated from college studying some form of communication degree.  
She also knows a lot of the background of the table tennis history and rules so that she can explain any controversary during a match very effectively.  In our Chinese word, she is not an outsider person who knows nothing much about the field.  

It's a big improvement.  

Of course, she is no match compared to Liu Guo Liang or maybe even Deng Yaping.
But definitely better than Yan Ying.

klhfans
I admire American people who can talk Mandarin and draw Chinese characters. I imagine them more creative and smarter as they can see things through 2 totally different and valid bases. The same idea grinded through 2 cultures may lead to a better comprehension and better decisions. I have that as a French guy living in the USA for a while but the enlargement of the scope is not as wide with the same alphabet, many words in common and a huge history of neighboring and brotherhood through war and peace across the channel, we're too close compared to the bridge to build to achieve the same between Chinese and English cultures.
In the years to come it is predicted that USA and China will clash. I will listen closely to those Chinese American people who talk perfect Mandarin and have lived in the USA for a long time; also to those "American American" people who studied in China and wrote their masters thesis in Chinese. They will be more trustable to understand what's going on. I'll find a few of each here :)

Edited by stiltt - 07/14/2021 at 10:52pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2021 at 9:35am
Not so sure about China and US clashing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmyWdZfdgk
Quote mobiusraptor7 1 month ago
My friends speak Chinese and Russian, so this is sort of what they say:

China: "Be here when the time comes"
Russia: "Be better than who you were yesterday"
USA: "Be gay".
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic