Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Viscaria vs. Chinese clones
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viscaria vs. Chinese clones

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 05/14/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1689
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscaria vs. Chinese clones
    Posted: 05/02/2021 at 9:16am
I own a Viscaria but never really use it until few weeks ago.   One of my clubmates owns a Yinhe V14 Pro, which is supposed to be a Viscaria clone.

I borrowed it and used it with the same rubbers that I use with my Viscaria.   However, I think that V14 Pro is not similar to Viscaria.   For one thing, it is thicker and thus felt stiffer and a bit faster.  Viscaria has more feeling.

When I searched online to find out more about V14 Pro, I came accross Yinhe Pro 01.  And according to few reviews, it is more similar to Viscaria.   So I bought one and test it.

To my surprise, it is more similar to Viscaria compared to V14 Pro.  It has the same thickness as that of Viscaria and almost the same feeling.   The difference is that my Yinhe Pro 01 is a bit crisp, due to my sealing, as my Viscaria has no sealing at all (I just did not seal it, I don't remember why).

Yinhe Pro 01 is a bit more expensive compared to Yinhe V14 Pro, but it is still much cheaper compared to my Viscaria.   So I guess if someone wants a cheaper Viscaria, I guess Pro 01 is a good choice.  Quality wise, it is good for its price.   The handle is smooth and not too small (as many other Chinese blades tend to be).   The reason it is a bit more expensive compared to V14 Pro, I think because it is sponsored for Zhu Yi (correct spelling?).  I read Zhu Yi is an amateur but with very good skill and have beaten many world class players, including Ovtcharov.

So currently I still use Pro 01 for fun and my Viscaria is kept in the drawer for the time being.  I don't need to change (adapt) much when playing with Pro 01 and it feels natural to me.   Well, let's see in a few weeks.


Viscaria
Vega Pro / Mark-V

Currently testing Yinhe Pro 01 with AK47 both sides.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/25/2011
Location: Far Far Away
Status: Offline
Points: 1201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

However, I think that V14 Pro is not similar to Viscaria.   For one thing, it is thicker and thus felt stiffer and a bit faster.  Viscaria has more feeling.
Totally agree. I think it is wrong to say V14 Pro is a Viscaria clone. As you said, it´s thicker, stiffer and faster. Mine came with 6.0mm thickness while Viscaria is 5.7mm. Those 3mm in thickness make a big difference.
This Pro 01 seems interesting, what is the size of blade face? Is it 157x150mm, just like Viscaria?
Back to Top
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 05/14/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1689
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2021 at 9:17pm
I have not measured it.   When I am back home tonight, I will measure it.   But I will say it is 157 x 150 mm, just like standard BTY blades.

But I read one of the review here:


He did not compare Pro 01 to Viscaria (or TB Alc) but compared it with V14 Pro.   But there are quite good information.
Viscaria
Vega Pro / Mark-V

Currently testing Yinhe Pro 01 with AK47 both sides.
Back to Top
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 03/24/2010
Location: Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 1581
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 12:49am
clipper cr wrb - fh mxp max - bh jp03 2.0 - 2015 video
Back to Top
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 05/14/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1689
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 10:31am
I just measured the head dimension. It is 157 x 150 mm.  So it is indeed similar to viscaria. 
Viscaria
Vega Pro / Mark-V

Currently testing Yinhe Pro 01 with AK47 both sides.
Back to Top
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/25/2011
Location: Far Far Away
Status: Offline
Points: 1201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

But I read one of the review here:


He did not compare Pro 01 to Viscaria (or TB Alc) but compared it with V14 Pro.   But there are quite good information.
I´ve just read the review at TT Daily. He said V14P has a thicker core while Pro 01 has a slight thicker outer koto ply. That means more control and less speed of course, but he mentioned the ease of placing balls on the table with Pro 01. Would you say the same?
Back to Top
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 05/14/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1689
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2021 at 1:38am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

But I read one of the review here:


He did not compare Pro 01 to Viscaria (or TB Alc) but compared it with V14 Pro.   But there are quite good information.
I´ve just read the review at TT Daily. He said V14P has a thicker core while Pro 01 has a slight thicker outer koto ply. That means more control and less speed of course, but he mentioned the ease of placing balls on the table with Pro 01. Would you say the same?


I play more with Viscaria, while V14 Pro was just borrowed to satisfy my curiosity.  However, when playing V14 Pro, I felt that it is more direct and stiffer.   Not a bad thing.  You just need to adjust.

However, when I play with Pro 01, I did not have to adjust at all.   It is similar to my Viscaria (I would not say 100% exact) but I have no problems playing with it (as if I did not change blade at all).   So I would say that the control is similar to that of Viscaria.   When using V14 Pro, I consciously need to adjust my stroke, so control wise I would say Pro 01 is better (just because it is more similar to Viscaria that I am used to).
Viscaria
Vega Pro / Mark-V

Currently testing Yinhe Pro 01 with AK47 both sides.
Back to Top
astaroyd View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 11/02/2020
Location: hebemes
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2021 at 7:15am
why do people think       clone = chinese brand    ?
donic has baum esprit, a great viscaria clone.
joola has mattenet off, also great cheap clone.
Back to Top
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/25/2011
Location: Far Far Away
Status: Offline
Points: 1201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

why do people think       clone = chinese brand    ?
donic has baum esprit, a great viscaria clone.
joola has mattenet off, also great cheap clone.
Do you really know what you´re talking about?
Baum Esprit has a headzise of 160x152mm, and 6.0mm thickness. And also a totally different shape, balance and grip. Is this what you call a Viscaria clone?
Back to Top
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 05/14/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1689
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 2:24am
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

why do people think       clone = chinese brand    ?
donic has baum esprit, a great viscaria clone.
joola has mattenet off, also great cheap clone.


I think you misunderstood my post.   The title is Viscaria vs. Chinese clones.  So I was talking about blades that are modeled after Viscaria made by Chinese manufacturer.   In this case, it was made by Yinhe.

I never meant that all clones are always associated with chinese products.

Other blades modeled after Viscaria made by other manufacturers:
Tibhar Drinkhal Powerspin Carbon (completely different, as it is thicker ~ 6.1 mm and has different core).
Gewo Force ARC (I have no opinion on it)
Donic Original (used to be Ovtcharov) True Carbon (the closest to Viscaria as some reviewers said)

But I did not test those blades so I can't say anything.

In my post, I specifically mentioned only V14 Pro (different than Viscaria) and Pro 01 (which is very close).  If they are made in China, it is because I deliberately chose those blades because of the price.   I did not think of buying Donic True Carbon or Drinkhal Powerspin Carbon because they are almost as expensive as Viscaria.  Besides I am happy with my Viscaria and currently enjoying the cheaper Pro 01 blade as an alterantive.



Edited by doraemon - 05/05/2021 at 2:26am
Viscaria
Vega Pro / Mark-V

Currently testing Yinhe Pro 01 with AK47 both sides.
Back to Top
Zwill View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 11/10/2017
Location: Hungary
Status: Offline
Points: 22
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 3:16am
I haven't measured, but based on the rubbers cut for Viscaria the V14pro has a slightly different head shape. But in my experience the Yinhe clones are pretty spot on regarding playing characteristics.

And the v14pro has a really paper thin top koto ply as mentioned by TT newbie, much thinner than Butterfly or some other Yinhe clones as well.

Probably the Pro01 is more like an actual copy. I'd doubt in a blind test many could determine which is the original.


Back to Top
astaroyd View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 11/02/2020
Location: hebemes
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 4:08am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

why do people think       clone = chinese brand    ?
donic has baum esprit, a great viscaria clone.
joola has mattenet off, also great cheap clone.


I think you misunderstood my post.   The title is Viscaria vs. Chinese clones.  So I was talking about blades that are modeled after Viscaria made by Chinese manufacturer.   In this case, it was made by Yinhe.

I never meant that all clones are always associated with chinese products.

Other blades modeled after Viscaria made by other manufacturers:
Tibhar Drinkhal Powerspin Carbon (completely different, as it is thicker ~ 6.1 mm and has different core).
Gewo Force ARC (I have no opinion on it)
Donic Original (used to be Ovtcharov) True Carbon (the closest to Viscaria as some reviewers said)

But I did not test those blades so I can't say anything.

In my post, I specifically mentioned only V14 Pro (different than Viscaria) and Pro 01 (which is very close).  If they are made in China, it is because I deliberately chose those blades because of the price.   I did not think of buying Donic True Carbon or Drinkhal Powerspin Carbon because they are almost as expensive as Viscaria.  Besides I am happy with my Viscaria and currently enjoying the cheaper Pro 01 blade as an alterantive.


yes that's why I only mentioned
baum esprit
and
joola mattenet

because they are both less than 50 euros I think.... so they can compete with the chinese clones in terms of price.

there's also the 729 blue.
Back to Top
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 10/04/2004
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 1492
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2021 at 5:16pm
clone means a clone. Which for me is copying everything like material, glue , shape , handles, colour and most of all - the feel. In that sense I wouldn't call any of the above mentioned blades "clones".... although I have seen meticulously made copies which pretend to be clones and they still play nothing like the original
Rutis Power
FH: Baracuda
BH: Omega 7 Pro
NovaCell Off/S
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Omega 7 Pro
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.

Become a Fan on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Web Wiz News
Forum Home | Go to the Forums | Forum Help | Disclaimer

MyTableTennis.NET is the trading name of Alex Table Tennis Ltd.

Copyright ©2003-2020 Alex Table Tennis Ltd. All rights reserved.