Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - no streaming at the nationals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

no streaming at the nationals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no streaming at the nationals
    Posted: 07/05/2021 at 12:36pm
At an age when a webcam and a decent internet connection allows streaming events on the cheap, what do we make of the fact we can't get a live feed of the US Nationals this year?
Sponsored Links

Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 12:49pm
Not surprised, still sucks.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

At an age when a webcam and a decent internet connection allows streaming events on the cheap, what do we make of the fact we can't get a live feed of the US Nationals this year?

You do not want to ask me.  You really don't.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 2:09pm
Even if an accident can always happen, you would expect a multitude of plan Bs popping like mushrooms after the rain. I mean a facebook live will do fine, a phone and a tripod, that's all it takes, why isn't it done?

I got to be optimistic and believe something will happen for the women's and men's semi finals and finals.
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 2:18pm
This is unacceptable for an organization of USA Table Tennis size. World Champs are in Houston, is this also not going to be streamed lol 

I remember the fall out they had earlier this year with the College group, maybe they also had a falling out with their streaming partners too? 

I have some friends that are playing in Vegas and I looked forward to potentially seeing them. Oh well. 
FS1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 2:19pm
Please share your opinion lol
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 2:34pm
Per Sean O'Neill when I messaged him this morning about live stream." No live stream, being recorded". 
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 4:15pm
I feel for them, overloaded with lower budgets and same bills, probably less volunteers than before. I keep faith in them, they offered great moments and great communities never die. From where they are there is only one way up anyway. 

"Those who say it's not possible should not stop other people from doing it." If the saying does not directly apply here, it is a reminder that they are the ones sweating and it's happening. No streaming reminds us how connected to the sport we are, the frustration is also a celebration. When it resumes, it will be a funny memory.

Good luck to USATT and volunteers with the end of the tourney.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2021 at 6:39pm
Here's what I think is happening:

VS wants to generate more money because when the USATT ratings subscription was instituted, it really did not generate as many subscribers as expected.  She underestimated the cheapness of pongers.  

So now, I think she is looking for a streaming partner like LaolaTV which streams a lot of TT events in Europe.  My guess is for the U.S., she is talking to ESPN because they have had TT before so it will probably end up in ESPN 8 The Ocho between arm wrestling and chess boxing.  The beauty of this deal is she does not have to generate any viewership or ticket sales.  She just has to deliver x number of live events, whichever those are, each year.  So let's say Nationals, Open, she makes a deal with Joola and NATT to include the Teams, Eastern, and Western.  Then throw in a few known good tournaments like Lily Yip, Westchester, Meiklejohn, Cary Cup, etc.  Now are you still wondering why the state qualifiers were created? More events, more money.  In return, ESPN gives the USATT oh a couple of million or so for the broadcasting rights.  The ability to watch TT is included when you buy a cable TV package locally which includes ESPN so it's built in.  However, for premium events like the one in Houston for WTTC 2021, you have to pay something like $2.99 per segment.  A segment might be R128-R64 matches, then R32-R16, then QF-F, something like that.  No subscription, no premium event.  So yeah, ESPN wants you to subscribe first.

If you're still a cheap ponger and won't even buy cable TV, USATT will hire their own version of ttlondon2012, perhaps Gerry? USATT keeps the ad revenue of course but perhaps they can offer him a small editing fee and a portion of the income.

So that's why we are not getting any live streaming.  No more of this free stuff, comrade.  VS wants to grow the sport and she won't be doing that with a smile and firm handshake.  She needs $$$.

Edited by BeaverMD - 07/05/2021 at 6:41pm
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2021 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

If you're still a cheap ponger and won't even buy cable TV, USATT will hire their own version of ttlondon2012, perhaps Gerry? USATT keeps the ad revenue of course but perhaps they can offer him a small editing fee and a portion of the income.

Hey, please do not mention my name! Hehe.  Nope, not from me, not interested.  Those years that I did the photos for USATT and later where some of my videos were posted on the USATT site, I do not remember being thanked for them.  All those trips for the Olympic trials in Vancouver, Atlanta or the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Doha, Qatar and Bremen, Germany - the air tickets, hotels and meals came out of my pocket.  There were only 2 instances of some contribution.  Bob Fox gave me meal tickets in Doha and Tong Lee got me a press pass in Kuala Lumpur.  Other than that, nothing.  In fact, at the 2005 World Table Tennis Championships, I was about to buy my airline ticket and was told the photographer spot was given to someone who was seen a member of the "good old boys club" where part of his expenses was covered by USATT.  I do not even mention the Nationals or the Open where I had to ask my daughter to help get more coverage.

As far as streaming, I am guessing that David del Vecchio works closely with Joola and since Joola was not the table sponsor, he elected not to bring his equipment.  Again, just a guess.  I have not seen or spoken with David about this.

Edited by stiltt - 07/07/2021 at 6:51pm
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2021 at 6:46pm
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by frontosa frontosa wrote:

Hey, please do not mention my name! Hehe.  Nope, not from me, not interested.  Those years that I did the photos for USATT and later where some of my videos were posted on the USATT site, I do not remember being thanked for them.  All those trips for the Olympic trials in Vancouver, Atlanta or the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Doha, Qatar and Bremen, Germany - the air tickets, hotels and meals came out of my pocket.  There were only 2 instances of some contribution.  Bob Fox gave me meal tickets in Doha and Tong Lee got me a press pass in Kuala Lumpur.  Other than that, nothing.  In fact, at the 2005 World Table Tennis Championships, I was about to buy my airline ticket and was told the photographer spot was given to someone who was seen a member of the "good old boys club" where part of his expenses was covered by USATT.  I do not even mention the Nationals or the Open where I had to ask my daughter to help get more coverage.

Thanks for all you did. It is stupifyingly ridiculous that USATT never provided any substantive return for your efforts over the years.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2021 at 6:37am
Originally posted by frontosa frontosa wrote:

As far as streaming, I am guessing that David del Vecchio works closely with Joola and since Joola was not the table sponsor, he elected not to bring his equipment.  Again, just a guess.  I have not seen or spoken with David about this.

Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the spot :)

On behalf of pongers all around the world, thank you for all of your hard work, free labor, and the money that you spent out of pocket creating videos.  But I would recommend you don't say "not interested" just yet.  At the very least, tell the USATT they have your number if they want to talk.  I was half-joking about ESPN 8 in my earlier post but with the WTTC in Houston coming in November, they can leverage that with plenty of financial opportunities for sponsors.  There's gonna be a lot of filming involved so why wouldn't they throw a little something to someone with a proven track record like you.  Hopefully, the bridge is not completely burned.

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2021 at 9:41am
On behalf of pongers all around the world, thank you for all of your hard work, free labor, and the money that you spent out of pocket creating videos. 

I enthusiastically join in the applause for your great contribution through the years.  

If one may attempt to characterize the attribute that exists as most influential in much of the unquestionably undesirable that we encounter in this sport in this country, it is narrowmindedness.  Beyond the stark utilitarian function that the authorities perform, there is much much more that adds, in immeasurable degrees, value and richness the utilitarian functions do not.

As we live in an immensely visual images world culture, grand would be the notion that perhaps table tennis could join in.  That, concretely, means a respect for and support for pictures and video, to be made available to the broadest audience for the expressed purpose of the so-rarely-thought-of-objective of promotion.

As is common in these circumstances, we hold the expertise, as you have abundantly demonstrated.  Lacking is the requisite orientation and value system to realize its benefits.

Thanks.
"Pierre Curie's greatest discovery was Marie Sklodowski." Frederick Soddy
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2021 at 11:32pm
This forum has been great to me and have extended their appreciation for what I had done.  In fact it was Dave from the Alameda club and another member from the Carolinas that started somewhat of a fund raiser since one of my video cameras was ruined when a junior member accidentally hit the tripod and broke the camera.

As a whole, I am very thankful for this forum.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2021 at 11:48pm
So when are you going to start competing again?  

Mike
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2021 at 12:28am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

On behalf of pongers all around the world, thank you for all of your hard work, free labor, and the money that you spent out of pocket creating videos. 

I enthusiastically join in the applause for your great contribution through the years.  

If one may attempt to characterize the attribute that exists as most influential in much of the unquestionably undesirable that we encounter in this sport in this country, it is narrowmindedness.  Beyond the stark utilitarian function that the authorities perform, there is much much more that adds, in immeasurable degrees, value and richness the utilitarian functions do not.

As we live in an immensely visual images world culture, grand would be the notion that perhaps table tennis could join in.  That, concretely, means a respect for and support for pictures and video, to be made available to the broadest audience for the expressed purpose of the so-rarely-thought-of-objective of promotion.

As is common in these circumstances, we hold the expertise, as you have abundantly demonstrated.  Lacking is the requisite orientation and value system to realize its benefits.

Thanks.
During my two tenures as editor of USATT Magazine (12 years total), Frontosa (are we allowed to use his real name?) was one of the truly great photographers. He was a great help in tournament after tournament. I sure hope I thanked him profusely enough during those years!
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic