Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

topspin - correct movement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: topspin - correct movement
    Posted: 09/14/2011 at 3:03pm
What is the correct termination of the movement?

I have this habit to finish the move with the paddle on the side of the ear, between the shoulder and head.

But my teacher says it's wrong, he says, got it right on the forehead between the eyes.

Looking at some videos I realized that he's right, 99% of the videos I've seen professional finish with the racket movement between the eyes.

However, I noticed that some professionals do not, in fact I found only one, Timo Boll, he ends the movement like I do.

So I come here to ask for all, which one is correct? Or are the two ways are right?

see timo boll in slow motion

Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2011 at 3:11pm
I don't think it matters too much. Generally best stopping point is the midpoint of your body for recovery of your stroke. The further you followthrough, the more power and more time needed to recover for the next stroke. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2011 at 3:32pm
It doesn't matter as long as you recover to a neutral position.
The Older I get, The better I was.
channyboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 10:03am
It's basically the same as basic forehand (flat hit, what you first learn). Coaches will always ask their students to compete their forehand to their left eye (right eye If your left handed). This is the starting step of a correct stroke. When the proffesionals warm up before a match, you will see their basic forehand doesn't even go above their chest. Take Ma Long for example, he's practises it so Many times he can hit the ball and recover right after contact. However, when looping, it is best to end the stroke at your eye. You may see Ma Long etc. pass their eye (even entire head) for more power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic