Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

U.S. Open Challenge Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 11:29pm
Eugene Wang vs Tao Wenzhang

Sponsored Links

frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:13am
After leading 3-0 in the Men's Quarterfinal and losing to eventual Champion, Eugene Wang - Tao Wenzhang had to overcome the terrible feeling and beat Yuan Xiaojie 4-0 in the U21 Men's Final.

http://youtu.be/H-mHVpZwVYg
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:23am
Originally posted by frontosa frontosa wrote:

======================================

Appreciate very much of your high quality video from a great camera angle.
skip3119
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:32am

Great video beautiful angle. ClapClapClapClap
Wouldn't happen to have Primorac v Shiono from this angle?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 7:29am
When you aren't worried about giving sponsors ads screen presence, you can get really good angles.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 7:57am
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

Can someone post a link for the Tao vs Wang match?

Despite all the love for Wang, his final match is like slow motion compared with the final between Yan an and Ma Long the next day
Very good observing.  Wrong thread however...
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Eugene's style of pace change has the effect of making opponents whiff their bread and butter shots. The more they miss the more frustrated they become which causes them to miss even more. It's an effective strategy even in the top 100!
It however didn't work at all against ma long. There is a video of ma vs wang and wang gets dominated pretty badly

It requires him to be able to consistently return your shots. It will work against the guys without power and modest consistency, but he can't play that way against top 20 power, which was what Tao used to bother him. He can't bring back the quality of power that that the best in Europe or China have without taking more risks. Watch the match against Dima from the LA Open - it gives you a better idea of the challenges he faces against consistent power. He will win some points, but he can't play defence.

Tao's power is more than enough. Eugene was just able to find that certain combo or pace change that brought Tao's kill shot percentage way down.
It was obvious that Eugene couldn't go toe to toe with a few players in this tournament. Notably Tao, Lundqvist and the finalist (forgot his name). Everytime they would get into a FH to FH rally Eugene would usually lose it. He did slightly better in BH rallies but still couldn't just sit there and slug it out. 

But essentially you are right. Top 20 have a high shot percentage across a wide variety of rally progressions, pace  changes and spin changes. Another top player who depends on pace change and putting a bit of funk on the ball (vs getting into slug fests) would be Kenta. He also depends more on putting opponents in a situation where they make unforced errors to get points.
It's a strategy that demoralizes your opponent, especially if they are stubborn and refuse to acknowledge and address their weakness in the middle of a match.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 8:35am
I took a ton of videos.  Yes, I have the Primorac vs Shiono match and others.  It is just going to take time to download and edit them.

Gerry

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:33am
Anyone know how much the prize money was? I couldn't find the info on the USATT web page.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:51am

I took a ton of videos.  Yes, I have the Primorac vs Shiono match and others.  It is just going to take time to download and edit them.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, what type of camera do you use?
I believe the prize money for the tournament was $4000 USD.
Butterfly MPS
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:51am

Anyone know how much the prize money was? I couldn't find the info on the USATT web page.
===========================

ITTF's site listed the total prize money only:  $30,000.  (total prize money).

No break-down on the winners of the events, Men's Singles, Women's Singles, U-21 (boys & girls), Second place of each event, etc.
=======================

jrscatman said: "I believe the prize money for the tournament was $4000 USD."

I heard that number too.  So, for Women's singles winner is likely to be the same, $4000 USD.
------------------------------------------

I remember, prior to this ITTF's sanction, the prior US Open Men's Single's winner got $8000.
*** Top prize money dropped in half after ITTF's sanction.  Beats me, don't understand it. ***

Edited by skip3119 - 07/08/2013 at 11:26am
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 11:01am
If you enjoy high quality TT match videos at great camera angles, check out this:

skip3119
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:08pm
Here's the prize money breakdown for all World Tours:
http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=prize_money

US Open was part of the new "Challenge series", which is the lowest tier. $4,000 for the singles winner, $1,500 for U-21 winner.

The more important World Tour events (now called "major" and "super series") give at least $11,000 to the winner, and $100K total. They also have additional requirements beyond prize money.

Edited by amateur - 07/08/2013 at 12:15pm
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:37pm
I used 3 video cameras for this tournament.  They are all Sony HD video cams with internal hard drives.  The oldest one was one of the very first Sony HD video cams, the SR1 with a 30 GB hard drive.  A Sony HD-XR500v, 120 GB HD cam and lastly a HD XR520V, a 240m GB cam.

The SR21 was problematic in that I had to donwload the files every night due to the low capacity storage.  Since I also have to take photographs and my daughter was not present to help me, I basically viewed the match list for the next day and wrote the matches I would like to record.  Set up the video cams with 4-6 hour batteries and left them there while I walked around taking photos.  I would get back after 30 minutes to see the progress of the matches and move the vidcams accordingly.

I do not use any complicated video editing software.  I use iMovie provided on my Mac.  I use two laptops to edit videos.  Takes about one hour to one and a half hour to download the file, edit and convert to an acceptable youtube file.  Uploading to youtube varies between 45 to 90 minutes for a 15 minute HD video.

Hope this helps.

Gerry
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 1:21pm
thank, Gerry, I see you put some hard work into this. I am sure the folks here will really appreciate it.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

thank, Gerry, I see you put some hard work into this. I am sure the folks here will really appreciate it.
Second this - much appreciated!
Thanks for sharing the info about your equipment. Quality of the videos are excellent.
Butterfly MPS
frontosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frontosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 3:22pm
I also recorded the match between Liang Yonghui vs Zoran.  Liang is the lefty that took two games from Dima.  I recall Liang winning the first game and lost two games at deuce and the other two games were 11-8 and 11-9.  I can tell you, it was not a walk in the park for Zoran.  Even when Zoran was lobbing, Liang would attack them. This was on table 6 or 7, so there was no livestream.   I hope to get some of the more interesting matches edited this week.

Edited by frontosa - 07/08/2013 at 3:23pm
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 3:32pm
 Hi Gerry, Great video. Excellent tactical match. Thanks for posting.
Dan
DS
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 6:49pm
Did Eugene Wang play in WTTC in Paris? Couldn't find him. If not then why?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 7:11pm
He isn't qualified to play in WTTC events for Canada as per the seven year waiting rule.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

Did Eugene Wang play in WTTC in Paris? Couldn't find him. If not then why?

Good question but I can tell you that Eugene has had some great results on the World Tour this year. With wins over Gao Ning, Yang Zi, Chen Chien-An, Tan Ruiwu and a close 4-2 loss to Wang Hao. So, his win against Lundsqvist shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. He has the skills to play with the best in the world.
who no know go know
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 7:37pm
About Tao Wenzhang.

This is the very first time that Tao has played on the International Stage.  As for the 2011 Joola NA Teams, it was not an ITTF Pro Tour event, and Tao was only one of the 3 Chinese players invited.

Don't know how old is Tao, he sure looks very young.  He was the only player who gave Eugene Wang problems.

==========================================

Don't know under what kind of circumstances that he came over here to play:

1.  Chinese TT Association doesn't want to send their strong players, so they just choose to send Tao Wenzhang, Li Tianyu and Yang Ce.

2.  Or Tao Wenzhang, Li Tianyu and Yang Ce expressed an interest to go, and Chinese TT Assoc. just agreed to it.

3.  Or those 3 players just came on their own and paid their own expenses.

I have no idea how this works.

*** If Tao plays more in Pro Tours he could end up in ITTF top 100 list. *** 

Edited by skip3119 - 07/08/2013 at 8:07pm
skip3119
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

He isn't qualified to play in WTTC events for Canada as per the seven year waiting rule.

And in his case, it's actually not 7 years but forever, because he was already over 21 when he switched.

He can play World Tour and Olympics, just not WTTC and World Cup.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 9:03pm
Tokic, Maze, Franziska were all in Las Vegas during the tournament, but never showed up Angry
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Tokic, Maze, Franziska were all in Las Vegas during the tournament, but never showed up Angry

Show up to do what?
who no know go know
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:52pm
frontosa is the best, he is the best source for quality video of NA Tournaments.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Show up to do what?
normally just they go just to pick a red card

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 11:17pm

I think if the prize money was $100K - they and their friends would have showed up!
Butterfly MPS
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 11:30pm

frontosa is the best, he is the best source for quality video of NA Tournaments.
====================================================================

Very true.  If you are interested in studying Tao Wenzhang's RPB technique, frontosa's videos listed above is just great.  frontosa has his own youtube channel which contains many high quality TT videos.
--------------------------------------------------------

Btw, in 2010 Tao Wenzhang was still playing Junior and Cadet events in China.  His RC rating rose from 2150 then to 2789 now - a very rapid rise.

skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 11:08am
Not much info about Tao Wenzhang on the Chinese website, I found out only a little bit.
The link below shows the club he belongs.  Scroll down, his picture is on the lower-right.

His Chinese name is :  陶文章
Couldn't find his birth date, but read somewhere that he was born in 1995.

He is a reserve player in the club, so not much chance to play - sitting on the bench mostly. 
The club has many big names:
Men:  Zhang Jike, Fang Bo, Zhang Chao, Hou Yingchao, Wu Hao, Chen Hao
Women:  Li Xiaoxia, Chen Meng, Gu Yuting, Gu Ruochen, Wang Xuan

*** This is one more player for those interested in RPB to study. ***

skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic