Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vertical vs horizontal chopping
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vertical vs horizontal chopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vertical vs horizontal chopping
    Posted: 05/01/2021 at 6:03am
Wacko

Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2021 at 10:56am
It has to do with the speed and spin of the incoming ball. For instance, against a push... would you push/chop more vertically or horizontally? What about against a forehand drive with little spin? 

The more the incoming ball wants to pop up high or go long off your paddle, the more you need to overcome and reverse the spin with your chop. That isn't true with long pips, which is why choppers use those rubbers as they naturally convert the incoming top spin to backspin much easier - requiring a less precise stroke to send an effective ball back to your opponent. 

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by TrueHonesty TrueHonesty wrote:

I am brand new to this ping pong thing . I have always
played top-spin from both sides but had secret fantasies of being a chopper.

I tried to watch some videos and some players in real life
but I am more confused, may be that is why I am not chopper material ?

When I see old videos of Vana or Dick Miles or Pagilaro or
Sido etc, it seems to me the racket moves more vertically (more from top to
bottom) and lesser horizontally (from back to forward). But when I look like modern choppers
like Joo Sehyuk or Chen Weixing their racket seems to move more horizontally (from back to
forward)  & lesser vertical (from top to bottom). Am I imagining this or correct on
this,
because I guess the incoming top-spin is lot more heavier in sponge era and even more now in the (secret) glue/booster era. It seems to me Chen Weixing (I have seen him in person many times) is technically perfect whereas Joo Sehyuk is more of an instinctive natural chopper

How does Steve Berger manage to be close to 2100 with
hardbat in regular USATT play (Not hardbat events) .  I have heard of some magic rubber called long
pips for chopping and wondered how much more back-spin can Steve Berger get if
he hypothetically played with long pips OX (I don’t know what OX is)
 and also with an Aspect Ratio 1.5 rubber….I
don’t know what this mean at all but I was told that was the fair value but
again I do not know what that means). They said he may be at least 2200. I have seen Steve Berger only once but thought he was chopping the
crap out of the ball.  

I heard Zoltan
Berczik (I heard who was more famous for manufacturing the greatest loopers as
a coach) also used to chop the crap out
of the ball. Does anyone know what rubber & blade Berczik used for his
racket ?  I am also curious to know what
Eberhard Scholer used. I also want to learn about many choppers before a period
when players can use any color rubber (before 80’s ?) such as John Hilton , who
was a totally different animal.

I was told that there were few Chinese choppers other than
Liang Geliang in that 70’s 80’s sponge era including one penhold chopper ? 

Finally , in general do men chop differently than women ? Most of the best female choppers seem to be Korean with few Japanese ? 

[/P

Hi honesty
[COLOR=red]0X=rubber without sponge
backspin causes the player returning the backspin to be more likely to hit the net. Therefore in pushing rallies over the table where backspin is used by both , both players slice more horizontally to ensure going over the net.
If chopping against topspin you slice more vertically.
Vana, miles pagliaro sido were all using hardbat which was not capable of strong backspin so they did not need to slice under so much.
Ebbie Scholer URL=[URL=https://youtu.be/zcxSaSrenpU%5d]
was one of my coaches on a weeks training camp back in the day. He had very thin sponge reverse on one side and pimples on the backhand (i think no sponge and the pips were close together ) He returned everything with very good length and used a lightning fh counter hit. If you search Youtube there is a lot of video of him practicing as a vet
I had the opportunity for half an hour practice with John Hilton during the black and black (both of us using Black combi bat, both of us twiddling like mad) As black and black is no longer allowed he would not be a good model to follow'
You should search Youtube for a famous video of norioTakashima and shigeo Itoh practicing. Takashima is a great example of chopping technique and footwork.
hitomi sato
honoka hashimoto
wu yang
are great examples of modern female defenders
men v women?
both great to watch
both use all the modern tecniques

[/COLOR]
good luck[

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 05/07/2021 at 1:45pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2021 at 12:56pm
" I have heard of some magic rubber called long pips for chopping and wondered how much more back-spin can Steve Berger get if he hypothetically played with long pips OX"

actually less.  you can't put really ANY spin on.  But if your opponent is putting a lot of spin on (and IMO this us above 2000 level players to continuously spin into long pips), then you can pass that spin back through.  If you're a super-good chopper maybe you can swing fast enough to add a smidge.

More likely they're just changing the axis of rotation a bit

Edited by cole_ely - 05/07/2021 at 1:25pm
W1 St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic