Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Westchester Table Tennis Tour April 14
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Westchester Table Tennis Tour April 14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westchester Table Tennis Tour April 14
    Posted: 04/24/2014 at 3:53pm
Hello everyone

Just checking who is going to this tournamnet in NY state ? This is my first time there and I heard great things. If someone will be there and would like to meet and maybe hit few, let me know. It would be a privilage to meet someone from here.

Cheers !

Edited by 100niTenis - 04/24/2014 at 9:47pm
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
Sponsored Links

andy.h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy.h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 5:34pm
I want to, but still not sure if I will make it. If I will - I'll play on Sunday (1900, 2050, 2200)

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 10:54pm
I won't be there for the April one, but have made it a point to come to one tournament in Westchester sometime this year.

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Hello everyone

Just checking who is going to this tournamnet in NY state ? This is my first time there and I heard great things. If someone will be there and would like to meet and maybe hit few, let me know. It would be a privilage to meet someone from here.

Cheers !

@100iTenis - Westchester TTC is my home club (literally my second home, lol), and I'd be happy to meet with you and perhaps hit a few.

On which day (Saturday or Sunday) and in which events are you planning to play?
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 11:42am
Great club. I've always wondered about their how they made the decision to forgo the standard mats and have just wood floors instead. It's just that playing on Gerflor / Teraflex type floors seems to becoming more and more the norm - so their junior players (the Acharyas, etc) are perhaps missing out on practicing footwork on the grippier floors. 

Are tournaments in Europe played on wood floors on the normal TT playing countries (Germany, France, etc)?
townhousecrackers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townhousecrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Great club. I've always wondered about their how they made the decision to forgo the standard mats and have just wood floors instead. It's just that playing on Gerflor / Teraflex type floors seems to becoming more and more the norm - so their junior players (the Acharyas, etc) are perhaps missing out on practicing footwork on the grippier floors. 

Are tournaments in Europe played on wood floors on the normal TT playing countries (Germany, France, etc)?

I have always wondered about the wood floor vs. some version of a sport court flooring. Although, after having played there I must say it is probably the best wood floor court I have ever played on. Plenty grippy and felt fine for the joints. I am sure when they designed the place they took into account all their options and decided this floor was a viable floor option vs sport court flooring and decided they got a good value from it. It seems they also keep it fairly well maintened, and I am sure they considered the durability/usable life of this floor vs sport court flooring options as well.
VKM
Black Tenergy 05 2.1
Red Feint Long III .5
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by townhousecrackers townhousecrackers wrote:

I have always wondered about the wood floor vs. some version of a sport court flooring. Although, after having played there I must say it is probably the best wood floor court I have ever played on. Plenty grippy and felt fine for the joints. I am sure when they designed the place they took into account all their options and decided this floor was a viable floor option vs sport court flooring and decided they got a good value from it. It seems they also keep it fairly well maintened, and I am sure they considered the durability/usable life of this floor vs sport court flooring options as well.

Of course playability & overall management are great there. It's just that for national team - type aspirations, the Westchester youth factory products are at a pretty big disadvantage as compared to their MDTTC, NJ or CA area counterparts who spend 25 hours a week doing footwork drills on the floor on which the important tournaments shall actually be played on.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 12:06pm
I would take wooden floor in Westchester over Gerflor floor in Waltham club every day. the problem with some plastic floors (too many, I am afraid) is that they are put on top of the cement. As a result, yes, they are very grippy and nice to play on, but they are so frigging hard on the knees and leg muscles... really kills me every time I play there.

All that is needed is to put some sort of thick foamy layer between plastic and whatever is underneath, and you'd have a great floor in all aspects. But they decided to save some money... not to mention they decided save money on having proper heating and A/C as well. Almost nobody came to play there in Dec-Feb, and probably not many people will dare to go there in june-Aug.

In all these aspects, Westchester club is certainly very good; they have proper heat/AC, they have good locker rooms with showers, they have computer screens for 2 main tables, enough room for spectators. The area in front of the front desk is a little narrow but I guess it's impossible to change that now; and that is really a very minor gripe.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 1:44pm
Sunday 1900 2050 2200
But, I will be there on Saturday from 6pm till closing time for meet/play/hit/practice Big smile

Edited by 100niTenis - 04/25/2014 at 1:45pm
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 2:54pm

Sunday 1900 2050 2200
But, I will be there on Saturday from 6pm till closing time for meet/play/hit/practice Big smile

I won't be playing in the tournament due to minor "injury", and won't be able to do meaningful practice, but I might be able to do few rallies.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it on Saturday evening, but I'm planning to come on Sunday to match-coach some of our juiors.

We can communicate by PM, if you'd like.

Victor

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:06pm
I'll be going again on Sunday!
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 20

YEO / TG2 Neo / V>15 Extra
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

I won't be there for the April one, but have made it a point to come to one tournament in Westchester sometime this year.
make it june bojan tokic will be there playing
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:10pm
Is the Nigerian team still coming? That is my main motivation for coming on Sunday. Otherwise, I can play my state tourney and make it another time.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by townhousecrackers townhousecrackers wrote:

Of course playability & overall management are great there. It's just that for national team - type aspirations, the Westchester youth factory products are at a pretty big disadvantage as compared to their MDTTC, NJ or CA area counterparts who spend 25 hours a week doing footwork drills on the floor on which the important tournaments shall actually be played on.

@townhousecrackers - the Westchester club installed special "sport wood flooring" (I don't know the specific type and  brand) that gives somewhat softer feel and is supposed to absorb shocks, so that might be the reason you liked it.   However, we've had some issue with the varnish wearing out (I believe because we accept casual players without proper and/or clean footwear), and the floor has been refinished twice since the club opened 3 years ago.

@slevin - IMO, wood floor isn't a significant detriment to the development of our juniors, as  I believe it's relatively easy to adjust to synthetic flooring.

Edited by VictorK - 04/25/2014 at 5:14pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Is the Nigerian team still coming? That is my main motivation for coming on Sunday. Otherwise, I can play my state tourney and make it another time.

they are not coming visa problems
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

Always the problem...

Thanks.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 6:10pm
I will be there and you can't miss me. Believe me, you can't. I am 6.3 and lefty with accent and .... ah well you will figure it out. PURETT, talk to you tomorrow
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 11:31pm

Did their tournament fee check for 10 million dollars bounced? who would have thunk it... Confused

Although honestly I have no idea whether those Nigerians are legit or not, but I just couldn't help it... sorry.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Did their tournament fee check for 10 million dollars bounced? who would have thunk it... Confused

Although honestly I have no idea whether those Nigerians are legit or not, but I just couldn't help it... sorry.
==================================

Top Nigerian Players are now in Tokyo, Japan (WTTTC).
skip3119
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2014 at 3:09pm
Ah, the joy of 6 hour drive. Dedication ! See you WTTC in few hours :-)
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2014 at 7:56am

Ah, the joy of 6 hour drive. Dedication ! See you WTTC in few hours :-)

@100niTenis - It was fun to meet you on Saturday, practice a little and play a friendly match!

Did you like the venue?  How did you do in the tournament?

Edited by VictorK - 04/28/2014 at 7:57am
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2014 at 12:33pm
Hello Victor

It was nice meeting you as well. Thanks for few points and nice friendly game. I loved venue. Wish I live close so  can play more often and practice. Tournament was OK for me. Did managed to go out of a group, but lost in quarters very 1st round U1900, U2200. As for U2050 I did not play quartes, as I left the building for fun 6 hour drive :)

I guess I see you again in October !
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2014 at 7:19pm

Hello Victor

It was nice meeting you as well. Thanks for few points and nice friendly game. I loved venue. Wish I live close so  can play more often and practice. Tournament was OK for me. Did managed to go out of a group, but lost in quarters very 1st round U1900, U2200. As for U2050 I did not play quartes, as I left the building for fun 6 hour drive :)

I guess I see you again in October !

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Westchester TTC - I feel so spoiled having such a nice club 10 min from home and 5 min from my office, LOL.

... and please come again!

Victor

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic