Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do my serves end up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do my serves end up?
    Posted: 12/29/2011 at 3:04pm
Ok, so what are the effects of the pendulum, reverse pendulum and the backhand sidespin serve?

If I serve a FH pendulum serve, where will the return go to? My backhand or forehand? 

If I serve a FH reverse pendulum serve, where will the return go to? My backhand or forehand?

If I serve a BH sidespin serve, where will the return go to? My backhand or forehand?

They are returning with inverted rubbers and are not creating any spin in returning.

Blades: Donic Epox Carbotec AN 78g/ Jonyer Hinoki FL 72g
Rubbers: FH Tenergy 05 Red 2.1mm/Sriver EL 1.8mm
               BH Tenergy 05 Black 2.1mm/Sriver FX 1.5mm  
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 3:24pm
Think...and all will be clear...

Also it depends what kind of spin you put on the ball

"They are returning with inverted rubbers and are not creating any spin in returning"

I suppose you mean your opponent? This is a vague and confusing sentence.

Ask someone who is just starting out table tennis to return your serve. Use your spinniest serves like the ones you describe. Your opponent will put the ball where the spin puts it.
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 3:41pm
If I serve to like a return board, where will the spin end up on my side when I try the 3rd ball attack? 
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 3:43pm
backhand, forehand, forehand. that's if you do the conventional ones.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 4:30pm
I was looking for the word conventional, thanks for that, now I can set up me 3rd ball attacks

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 4:33pm
I thought you mentioned you were top 15 in the UK with a coach, how come you don't know this already?
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 4:36pm
I used to always do Tomahawk serves, just needed to know if backhand sidespin was the same as reverse pendulum, because I never BH serve.
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 5:40am
Originally posted by A Touch A Touch wrote:

I used to always do Tomahawk serves, just needed to know if backhand sidespin was the same as reverse pendulum, because I never BH serve.

A good trick to use when reading serves is that to counter the spin, you always hit it to the direction where the opponent first started. So for example, if you are playing a right-hander and he serves a normal pendulum, he would be swinging the bat from a place away from his body into his body (his right to his left) to create the sidespin, and so following that rule to counter the spin you would hit it to the direction of his forehand (his right). Consequently, you can say the spin would always make the ball go the way the ends up during the serve (so in the case of the pendulum serve, the bat ended up from his right to left, so the ball would also go to where the bat end up, which is his left side or his backhand)

Does that make sense? LOL

P.S. Because of this pattern of returning serves, you may want to purposely do a pendulum serve knowing that your opponent will counter the spin to your backhand and rather hit the ball to your forehand, setting up a 3rd ball attack. Work's like a treat EmbarrassedBig smile

Edited by glanden.zheng - 12/30/2011 at 5:43am
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by glanden.zheng glanden.zheng wrote:

A good trick to use when reading serves is that to counter the spin, you always hit it to the direction where the opponent first started. So for example, if you are playing a right-hander and he serves a normal pendulum, he would be swinging the bat from a place away from his body into his body (his right to his left) to create the sidespin, and so following that rule to counter the spin you would hit it to the direction of his forehand (his right). Consequently, you can say the spin would always make the ball go the way the ends up during the serve (so in the case of the pendulum serve, the bat ended up from his right to left, so the ball would also go to where the bat end up, which is his left side or his backhand)
P.S. Because of this pattern of returning serves, you may want to purposely do a pendulum serve knowing that your opponent will counter the spin to your backhand and rather hit the ball to your forehand, setting up a 3rd ball attack. Work's like a treat EmbarrassedBig smile

this is a great tip but is this relative to where the ball lands in the other side ? Like the FH pendulum serve can be served on FH as well as BH of your opponent ? Or is that what you referred to conventional
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

Originally posted by glanden.zheng glanden.zheng wrote:

this is a great tip but is this relative to where the ball lands in the other side ? Like the FH pendulum serve can be served on FH as well as BH of your opponent ? Or is that what you referred to conventional

It still applies, this is what i learnt also but there is one last part to that tip and it's when in doubt play to the middle. This is basic knowledge.

Edited by The Shakehander - 12/30/2011 at 9:57am
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 12:06pm

That doesn't matter.  I mean, don't you ever PLAY people who use those services?  How can you get to top 15 junior in the UK without knowing how to return them effectively, which you certainly can't do if you don't know which direction they're spinning?

To answer your question, whichever direction the opponent's bat is swinging when contacting the ball, that's the direction it'll take you.  For example, a typical pendulum service from a right hander swings from his BH(right) to his FH(left) side, so the spin will take you to his FH(left) side.  This law applies no matter what service motion your opponent uses, since it's just a matter of physics.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

That doesn't matter.  I mean, don't you ever PLAY people who use those services?  How can you get to top 15 junior in the UK without knowing how to return them effectively, which you certainly can't do if you don't know which direction they're spinning?

To answer your question, whichever direction the opponent's bat is swinging when contacting the ball, that's the direction it'll take you.  For example, a typical pendulum service from a right hander swings from his BH(right) to his FH(left) side, so the spin will take you to his FH(left) side.  This law applies no matter what service motion your opponent uses, since it's just a matter of physics.

Well, I was at home, experimenting with me returnboard. I was practicing the pendulum serve and when I served a conventional pendulum, the ball was curling right. I was like "what the point of a reverse pendulum?" So I made this thread, and now I'm fine. Don't need any more tips, thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic