Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yet another light rubbers thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yet another light rubbers thread
    Posted: 06/01/2021 at 2:38pm
Rubbers have become harder and heavier and it takes heavier blades with a low balance to compensate that. For example, a 97gr blade with a low balance will accommodate 105gr worth of rubbers without giving a head heavy feeling, it will feel not much heavier than your typical 85g blade with 2 45g rubbers because the low balance means more weight is located in the handle.

Some people will not accept that and the environment is pushing them towards that limit where smooth sponged rubbers are still fast, bouncy, spinny and yet remain light. What are those rubbers?

-AK47 of various harness

-Victas-vj-07-limber
I am highly interested in that one and did not tried it yet.

In  smooth rubbers with 1.8mm sponge or more. what else is there that weighs 45g cut or less on a regular dimensions blade?

----------------------------------------------

Contributions below:

Tenergy 05, 64, 25 in 1.9
Victas V>11 Extra
Xiom Omega VII Pro
Donic Desto F3 Bigslam
61second Lightning DS LST
Mark V HPS
Victas V>15 Limber and Stiff in 2.0
GEWO Nexxus EL Pro 43

Edited by stiltt - 06/09/2021 at 12:54pm
Sponsored Links

astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 3:18pm
1- go for soft rubbers.
donic bluestorm z3 should feel nice just to put an example.

2- you can go for 2.0mm.
that takes some weight off, gives more control, still nice power

3- user rubber cement (one layer)
water based glue is heavier and you need more glue to get good adherence.

Edited by astaroyd - 06/01/2021 at 3:19pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 3:31pm
I have been doing 2 and 3 for ever, though using rubber cement on the blade only to avoid water on wood. 
Going soft is another way but we should not be forced to go under 47deg which is kind of a standard to me since the Andro Rasanter 47 and Nittaku Fastarc G-1 days and I do not want anything too much softer than that, 45 being the lowest I'll go on the fh for example and I am sure we are a lot in that situation.

astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I have been doing 2 and 3 for ever, though using rubber cement on the blade only to avoid water on wood. 
Going soft is another way but we should not be forced to go under 47deg which is kind of a standard to me since the Andro Rasanter 47 and Nittaku Fastarc G-1 days and I do not want anything too much softer than that, 45 being the lowest I'll go on the fh for example and I am sure we are a lot in that situation.

classical tenergy 05 with a thin layer of rubber cement is quite light I think.
if you want something significantly lower than that.... either soft rubbers or lower the weight of the blade.

the lebesson setup could be what you need.
(tibhar lebesson + evolution fx-p both sides)
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

1- go for soft rubbers.

2- you can go for 2.0mm.

Is rubber cement good for those large/medium pored sponge rubber such as donic bluestorm, rasant? I heard that you can only use water based glue for this type of rubber.  Rubber cement with thinner will damage this type of rubber?
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by lgxb lgxb wrote:

1- go for soft rubbers.

2- you can go for 2.0mm.

Is rubber cement good for those large/medium pored sponge rubber such as donic bluestorm, rasant? I heard that you can only use water based glue for this type of rubber.  Rubber cement with thinner will damage this type of rubber?

yes I think rubber cement and water glue affect rubbers more or less the same.

try not to buy normal rubber cement and add thinner.
it's better to buy cement made for adhering photos or for decoration purposes.
you can buy this in art shops.

Edited by astaroyd - 06/01/2021 at 4:07pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 5:16pm
paper cement from the Best Test brand is what I use but on the blade only and on the rubber, I wait until the water based glue is all dry and transparent. Leaving the blade with the paper cement coat dry overnight ensures that no voc will trigger an alarm if tested a few days later.

Any more candidate super light smooth sponged rubber?

Edited by stiltt - 06/01/2021 at 5:16pm
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 5:18pm
Victas V>11 Extra and probably Xiom Omega VII Pro, both medium-hard rubbers.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 5:23pm
Donic Desto F3 Bigslam.
It´s very light, even in Max thickness.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 5:44pm

paper cement from the Best Test brand is what I use but on the blade only and on the rubber, I wait until the water based glue is all dry and transparent. Leaving the blade with the paper cement coat dry overnight ensures that no voc will trigger an alarm if tested a few days later.

when was the last time someone tested your racket?

also never play a tournament with new rubbers.
you glue, play at least 2 or 3 weeks with those rubbers, then you go to the tournament.

Edited by astaroyd - 06/01/2021 at 5:53pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 6:01pm

you glue, play at least 2 or 3 weeks with those rubbers, then you go to the tournament.

that's how "micky from the block" does it...
at the nationals in 2010, I was tested and at that time, I used paper cement + thinner on both rubbers and both sides of the blade. By waiting overnight to put it all together after applying the glue on both rubbers and blade a week before testing, I passed. That tells me today I'd pass even more easily.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 6:35pm

that's how "micky from the block" does it...
at the nationals in 2010, I was tested and at that time, I used paper cement + thinner on both rubbers and both sides of the blade. By waiting overnight to put it all together after applying the glue on both rubbers and blade a week before testing, I passed. That tells me today I'd pass even more easily.

so why not glue rubbers with more anticipation like 2 months?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 6:40pm
I am not following, what value do we add by glueing 2 months before if it passes the test after a week?
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 6:58pm

I am not following, what value do we add by glueing 2 months before if it passes the test after a week?

what value do you add by gluing 1 week before?
glue once when you buy rubbers, put edge tape, only remove when you are done with those rubbers and are going to play new ones.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2021 at 9:25pm
When you asked "when was the last time someone tested your racket?", I found myself in the context of gluing followed by testing and I wrote about paper cement on the blade to underline that I like keeping water products away from the wood. Then I specified the importance of waiting a few days to avoid triggering an alarm. Adding 2 months of top of that did not add any value in that line and that's why I was puzzled.

It is important to underline that there is no cheating in that approach, All playing components remained totally unchanged and the blade is better protected, the weight is about 3 grams less which on the head is not negligible. I see no down to the method.
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 2:42am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Donic Desto F3 Bigslam.

Yep, it's a light rubber, indeed... Offers a decent amount of control, but some players may find it too soft and/or lacking power.. 

The Palio AK-47 (Red & Blue) , for me, is a better option .. It's light-weight, with 45° - 47° degrees hardness, and packs-in a decent amount of power.. Oh, and it's super-cheap.. 

JOOLA Energy Green is another light-weight rubber. I've tried it, and found it to be faster, and harder than Desto F3 Bigslam.

Stiga too has some light-weight rubbers. Sorry, can't recollect the exact name. 
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 4:15am

When you asked "when was the last time someone tested your racket?", I found myself in the context of gluing followed by testing and I wrote about paper cement on the blade to underline that I like keeping water products away from the wood. Then I specified the importance of waiting a few days to avoid triggering an alarm. Adding 2 months of top of that did not add any value in that line and that's why I was puzzled.

It is important to underline that there is no cheating in that approach, All playing components remained totally unchanged and the blade is better protected, the weight is about 3 grams less which on the head is not negligible. I see no down to the method.

My recomendation is try not to glue, unglue, glue, unglue.

rubbers change their shape with time, they become smaller.
also the glue residue stays on the rubber, there's the danger of breaking the rubber when removing the leftover glue.

the best for me is glue once, put edge tape, play until rubbers are done, then remove the rubbers.

this also helps with the habit of ejing LOL
---------------------
as for trying to keep the wood free of water.... that idea is nonsense.
every time you play you are inserting water into it (sweat).
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 4:28am
61 Lighting is reported to feel in hand as lightweigh feather of a bird., due to a peculiar sponge formulation.

https://m.eacheng.net/61second-Lightning-DS-LST-p811165.html

Edited by igorponger - 06/02/2021 at 4:50am
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 6:22pm
I have studied the issue extensively and the best I found:

Victas V11 Extra (available at https://www.tabletennisstore.us/ and
tabletennis11.com ) is a good tensor, 43g glued in max.
I am happy with it on my BH (Rasant Grip was better but 6g heavier).

BFY Dignics 64 also 43g glued in max.
And I glued a T05 1.9 at 45g. These two on a slightly small blade.
Mark V HPS is 42g in max. I glued these for friends and family and
only played against them.

I have also considered Nittaku Factive and Juic Nanospin II
but did not get around to try them, and will probably not use.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 6:31pm
thank you for your contributions pitigoi and all,  keep 'em coming!

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Donic Desto F3 Bigslam.

Yep, it's a light rubber, indeed... Offers a decent amount of control, but some players may find it too soft and/or lacking power.. 

The Palio AK-47 (Red & Blue) , for me, is a better option .. It's light-weight, with 45° - 47° degrees hardness, and packs-in a decent amount of power.. Oh, and it's super-cheap.. 

JOOLA Energy Green is another light-weight rubber. I've tried it, and found it to be faster, and harder than Desto F3 Bigslam.

Stiga too has some light-weight rubbers. Sorry, can't recollect the exact name. 
The great thing about F3 Bigslam is the feedback you have through the sound. If it pops you know you hit the ball properly. Actually, when I get that big sound my shot is usually excellent.
There are few rubbers that pop like it, I can remember Energy X-tra, Impuls Speed and Xiom Vega Elite.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 10:21pm
Victas V>15 Limber and Stiff are very light in 2.0. My kid is pretty skinny and doesn't like heavy paddles so he plays V>15 Stiff/Limber in 2.0 on a fairly light blade (85g). The overall setup is nice and fast, yet very light. 
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2021 at 6:43pm
I have just bought  VJ>07 Stiff and VJ>07 Limber just because people say they were very light. 
I am curious how would they play and last but not least the EJ in me wants to know...
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 4:26pm
Usually, any rubber above 47 deg (in 2.0/Max) will be over 45g.
The only exception I know of is V11 Extra (43g for max) but I noticed that the Max felt much softer than the 2.0mm.
I always looked for lightweight rubbers without going for soft/mushy sponges.
Even though, it's rated at 43 deg, the Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43 (2.1mm) doesn't feel that soft while maintaining a very fast speed and huge spin.

pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by ludo ludo wrote:

Usually, any rubber above 47 deg (in 2.0/Max) will be over 45g.
The only exception I know of is V11 Extra (43g for max) but I noticed that the Max felt much softer than the 2.0mm.
I always looked for lightweight rubbers without going for soft/mushy sponges.
Even though, it's rated at 43 deg, the Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43 (2.1mm) doesn't feel that soft while maintaining a very fast speed and huge spin.

Do you have the weight of Nexxus EL Pro 43? A comparison to Rakza 7 soft would be interesting to me (but not to this thread that asks for 47 or more hardness).
Edited to say thanks for the answer.

Edited by pitigoi - 06/08/2021 at 5:58pm
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Do you have the weight of Nexxus EL Pro 43? A comparison to Rakza 7 soft would be interesting to me (but not to this thread that asks for 47 or more hardness).

Brand: GEWO
Rubber ID/Model: Nexxus EL Pro 43
Colour: Black
Thickness: 2.1mm
Uncut Mass: 62.4
Length: 170
Width: 170

Cut weight: 43.5g (for 159x151... slightly oversized)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 6:00pm
thanks for asking and answering pitiful and Ludo. 

he said it’s harder that the advertised 43 so we’re all interested, I sure am.

Edited by stiltt - 06/08/2021 at 6:01pm
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2021 at 8:35pm

thanks for asking and answering pitiful and Ludo. 

he said it’s harder that the advertised 43 so we’re all interested, I sure am.

Well, it's not hard either but compared to for instance the original Vega Europe (42.5 deg), it feels harder and much grippier.
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2021 at 3:41am
Yogi_Bear has a pretty good review of this rubber there:
http://https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=gewo-nexxus-pro-43-el
He actually mentioned R7Soft and compared both if that can help.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2021 at 5:07am
maybe this website could help you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic