Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yin Yang's 3rd Ball Drills - Feedback Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yin Yang's 3rd Ball Drills - Feedback Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yin Yang's 3rd Ball Drills - Feedback Wanted
    Posted: 04/29/2013 at 10:42pm
Ok guys, I am finally uploading my first video, courtesy of my friend who videotaped us and then implemented slow-motion to review our strokes. Look in the mirror to my right for a better view of my footwork.

Please make any and all suggestions you can think of. I know I'm not good, but I cannot expect much after playing only 18+ months for only 6 hrs/week and with nobody to train/coach me. SO, now you guys can coach me LOL

Here is the link for youtube:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvPXsug5kM&feature=youtu.be

Much appreciated, guys!

- Yin Yang

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 12:11am
Looking good. A few things to work on-

Your stance needs to be lower, knees bent, on the balls of your feet.

In looping against underspin, instead of bending your arm back, then waving it forward/upward, your body needs to move down then spring up, with little to no arm movement. Your leverage should come from how you are rotating your body, not how you are swinging your arm.

This is my coach, (slow motion) looping against underspin-
Observe how he doesn't position his arm back by moving his arm, rather  by rotating/curling his body back/down, and how he hits the ball in a springing, up/forwards motion, all with little arm movement.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 12:40am
need to do those serves a few thousand times each to get better touch during contact. You have to feel some weight from the ball if you touch it good during serve. You hold it and throw it and hit it like you are afraid its gona break.

The third ball 'attack' is very much like your serve. You are afraid of good contact with the ball. You kind of brush it and whirl it up there in the air. Dont go OVER the ball unless its over the table. If its outside the table, get the paddle BEHIND the ball, and go through the ball with bravery. You know what exercise helped me overcome my fear of the ball? (i was very much afraid to touch the ball like you at first) Forget about clearing the net and making the shot and consistency. Imagine in your head that your number 1 goal is to compress the sponge as much as you can. Like you want the ball to touch the wood. Then do the same drills over and over but the only thing u should practice is get the ball deep in the sponge. ITS NOT A FLAT SHOT! You still move the paddle on a slight upward trajectory but the paddle itself is very open, almost vertical (perhaps see Ma Long). Until you start making better contact you are going to look bad. You know when you grabbed the ball well. It just feels HEAVY. Then you start improving consistency. Right now your contact is so weak, you dont have neither power nor spin.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
caballero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caballero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 12:53am
For a 18th month of training, this looks really good. 

Finetuning is next, and IanMcg comments are laregly correct. 

At first, I wast taking aback by his reference at not moving your arm for looping. I thought he meant that the movement should be simply and completely done by the rotation and downward movement of the body. But after watching the videos he posted, I saw he meant to say that the arm's movement is less pronounced when the body does most of the work. Yet, the arm still moves, and it does in an important way.

Perhaps that's the best way of seeing this rather complex looping movement (what other sport requires so much complexity and precision; golf is close, but not the same). I mean: to perceive as if the power comes from the body while the shot's precision derives from the arm and hand. In a way, it is similar to a basketball free shot, often shown as if the power for thrusting the ball comes up from the legs through the body and eventually to the arms. Yet, ultimately the hands are responsible for the precision of the shot. The player needs to finish with the paddle near the forehead as if saluting in the military style, and this requires the a precise movement of the arm and hand (without this finishing touch, there is no spin). 

Yet, this is a finetuning exercise since the player would hardly notice any overemphasis on the arm. In most cases, it would require something like the OP just did: videotaping or a close observation by a good critic. 
Hurray for independent blade-makers:

Leidy's Rapscallion
Charlie's 1Ply & 9-10-9
American Hinoki's WRC Quantum 3-ply

Feedback Caballero
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 12:59am
For someone who is not coached, that looked pretty good.  Take the ball earlier - you wait for it to drop so you lose the chance to drive it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 12:09pm
I agree with second poster. I'd like to add that although you can brush up and return underspin ball this way. It is making things a bit more difficult then it really needs to be. 
You should always, ALWAYS finish with your paddle in front of your face. You should always try to move forward.
For underspin, paddle should start slightly below your knee and as you make a brushing contact at around 3 o'clock position on the ball you should accelerate forward and drive forward with your right leg.

You should practice this drill with good rhythm, which usually means slowing it down for most people.
You should NOT try to go for power or speed until you have achieved consistency and rhythm. Once you're able to get a shot percentage at about 80% or 90% with a slower rhythm you can start speeding it up and try to add more spin and speed.
To start off with it should be almost entirely brush, you should not hear a *THWACK* sound.

Yes, when you are entirely confident and comfortable you can apply some hit. But applying hit reduces the safety of your shot and should only be used when you are very comfortable with the underspin of your opponent.
Idealy, you would serve, the opponent would push, you would loop , he would block and then you go into practicing top-spin.
The goal is to get to the top spin portion and perform at least 5 top-spin to block repetitions.
If you're not able to get to this point you need to reduce your pace and concentrate on consistency and control.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 12:13pm
Yes forgot to agree with the previous post.
Your timing is too late, and you wait for it to drop too much.
Take the ball at its highest point, otherwise you expend too much effort to lift the ball back up and you are forced into an upward stroke.
The overly exaggerated upward motion is needed only when you take the ball on the falling bounce.
Again, stroke motion should start slowly behind and slightly in front or at your knee and NEVER behind it.
Your stroke should end at eye level or slightly above and never extend past your head.
At the beginning of your stroke your arm should be mostly straight with a slight bend in your elbow and end with around a 90 degree bend in your elbow.
Your racket should clearly be in FRONT of you at the end.

To recover you straighten your arm out again and return to your original position, mostly through the rotation of your torso - NOT through pulling your shoulder back.

Your motion, to start, should be slower, relaxed and fluid. It is more important to have a fluid, uniform motion than it is to have an explosive motion when learning loops.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 5:27pm
try not to lean back so much on any shot that you make.. it will help in making less mistakes.

your swing seems a bit too wild.. too much backswing.. you dont need your arm to be behind your back
instead use your torso to rotate to your right to get that extra swing instead of using your arm

heres my take on it, its not shakehand but same applies kinda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KqSUbmag-RM&list=UUmBqercqqNmktHRbI_HJhug

also try to follow through more forward instead into your face

Edited by decoi - 04/30/2013 at 5:41pm
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by caballero caballero wrote:

At first, I wast taking aback by his reference at not moving your arm for looping. I thought he meant that the movement should be simply and completely done by the rotation and downward movement of the body. But after watching the videos he posted, I saw he meant to say that the arm's movement is less pronounced when the body does most of the work. Yet, the arm still moves, and it does in an important way.
Yeah, this is a better way of putting it. Thanks
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2013 at 12:06am
Thank you guys! Keep 'em coming! I had a practice session tonight and tried to work on it, but the guy I was playing with only likes matches, not training. I'm thinking I should boycott matches for a while, because i find myself abandoning form to win the point sometimes. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic