Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why some people prefer heavier blades?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why some people prefer heavier blades?
    Posted: 06/18/2007 at 5:18pm
good explanation. now that you think about it, doesn't that tell you that heavier blades has more potential power from any distance compared to lighter blades?
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
Sponsored Links

tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2007 at 4:00pm
first of all heavy blade does not mean that its weight should be near 100gm,but where the balance point is.oc is abt 87gm but not heavy since its balance point is at the middle point of the playing surface which makes it a balance combo for offencing game.
most people likes head heavy(not over all heavy) blades or combos because it imparts more pressure on the ball than the balanced combo which make the player feel the ball better.
and i must say that most of us cannot
1)transfer weight at right time(less power)
2)do not have right action(less control and feel)
3)move according to the ball or choose the right type of shot(whether to go forward or to lift up)for a ball.

using a balanced combo does not counter any of these problems but a head heavy combo can counter first two problem.

a light combo need perfect contact and timing and very fast action and not good for far away from table

so it realy lookes like
1)if ur quick on ur feet u have a choice between both type of combos
2)if ur slow u should go for a balanced combo or stay close to the table with a heavy one to kill when possible
1)ZJ fl(89 gm) fh T05 red max bh T05 fx black max
2)TBS fl(89 gm) fh T05 black max bh GKI hybrid gx red max
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2007 at 7:13pm

Less vibration.  Less feedback if you ask me.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2007 at 6:32pm
yea, i still don't understand why people think that fast stroke with light blade will give them power. I only felt myself cutting air but i didn't feel the ball at all when i use lighter blades. You don't get a lot of feel with lighter blades and impact at contact point.

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2007 at 5:47pm
Now I understand why people prefer a havier blades
Today I tryed to play with very light blade. that was really bad.
I did not feel my hand - it was too free to move
Maybe it is good for fast play(not power play) niar the table  - but for spins and contraspins  - too light blade is not a good decision - FOR ME
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 4:07am
I have two blades that I like and use more than others. One is 80g ALL + and the other a 95g OFF blade. I can hit and loop well with either. Both feel well balanced, transfer ball feeling, and let me make my shots with good control. The heavier one DOES feel more powerful, but you'd expect that from an OFF blade.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 2:36am
this question goes for those people who use fast/offensive + blades. Do you guys play with something fast just to suit your offensive style? I am also referring to people that buy butterfly equipments. There are some offensive players that would prefer to play with something slow.

creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by *JC* *JC* wrote:

thanks to sh*tty internet arguments like this, that i have learned not to bother with....i sleep better at night...

you know what they say about internet arguments and the special olympics dont you ???

wow jc still hanging around havent seen you post anywhere in a while. i thought you had given all this up for green grass some where else
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 1:47pm
Nice explanation timd. I wonder if some people have a change of thought cause I do completely now. So, lighter blades are usually used by hitters and maybe counter attackers right?

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 8:47am
Timd

I agree with Danny Seemiller, thats good advice.
timd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 8:37am
From Danny Seemiller's book, " Winning Table Tennis", in the chapter title "Choosing the Right Equipment":

Blade Weight

Blade weight is a combination of the size of the blade, its thickness, its material, and the density of the material. In general, the lighter the blade, the easier its mobility and the greater the velocity of the paddle on contact. Such blades are ideal for hitters who play up at the table and need to move quickly and decisively. In contrast, a heavier blade allows more dynamic topsin on loops, more stability on blocks, and usually greater speed on the ball. (A heavier blade swung at the same velocity as a lighter one transfers more energy at contact.) We recommend you use as heavy a blade as is comfortable. Remember, however, that the type and thickness of the rubber you choose, along with a blade will dramatically affect the overall weight of the paddle.

*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 7:00am
thanks to sh*tty internet arguments like this, that i have learned not to bother with....i sleep better at night...

you know what they say about internet arguments and the special olympics dont you ???

Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 6:30am
Typically people who use two rubbers play in the 90-100g range because the rubbers help make up for lost mass. But old school pips out players would go around with blades in the 120-50g range.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 2:41am
nice that some people play in the 90g range. 7homuz, i was just curious.

Messerschmitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messerschmitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 2:29am
 I was obsessed with finding the lightest blade. I found out that andro sold a carbon blade that weighed 71 grams. When I got mine I weighed it and it was 67grams!! It was fun for a little while but the lightness of the blade did affect my strokes. Also, the ball contact was very strange. I would say that I didn't get very much spin or speed with the light blade. My strokes were lightning fast but the ball usually had weak power.

I have also used an old 7ply Chinese blade that weighed over 100 grams. Doing multi-ball with that blade was very exhausting. Since it was an old Chinese blade it was fast but not enough to justify the super heaviness of it.

Right now I use the Timo Boll spark which is about 90 grams and I think that weight is good. I can fell the contact and I can create decent speed and spin.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 1:53am
lol, thats why i said i'm not saying anyone did that specifically xD i left myself a back road today (smart for once?) anyway, i do agree with you though, i belive his racket is a pretty heavy setup too.

shakehand, why do you ask?
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 1:28am
It's funny cause people would reply to you in a friendlier way if you are just innocently implying. Or, they will find you rather silly (but not to say that you are stupid) about what you're saying. Hey 7homuz, are you playing penhold or shakehand?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2007 at 1:12am
no one actually said what wang liqin uses for sure. i was just making a bad guess or example, so it's more like "what if" sort of thing or "i bet." man, if i was saying stuff like "i know what wang liqin" uses, then people are going to get nasty on me cause I know for sure i have no prove, and i would not bother making any excuses. i am pretty sure no one thought the wrong way, so they just ignored what i said and continued to share their thoughts about this.

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 11:34pm
yeah, but you dont know for sure. so i dont really think its appropriate to use that as an example or fact. i'm not saying anyone in specific did that (cuz i'm too lazy to go back and check every post) but just pointing it out if you dont know something for sure, its better to make clear that its a guess.

i doubt he use light blades too btw =P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 11:14pm
we were guessing what the pros were using, but the main point of this topic is to discuss about the weight of your blade. You think wang liqin would play with a light setup? I doubt he does.

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 10:29pm
haha yeah, i was kinda wondering that too... i was like... wtf... first argue what blades pros use... and now arguing what the weights of their blades are?!?! =O

anyway, my blades 79g, but both rubbers are 55 grams cut with once 2 layers of glue on it. (999/saviga and cj8000). i used to play with much lighter rubbers i.e. innova and sriver el, i can only truly tell the diffnce in weight when i am playing multiball or drills though.
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 9:05pm
i love the amount of hear say wang liqin uses a heavy blade so&so uses a light blade does anyone actually know or does every one just guess i bet if you wieghed pro blades they would fall in line with what we all play with a average of 84-87 with a few exceptions on both sides
i personally have had both light and heavy blade i like blades in the 85-90 range for a while i thought that lighter was better till i found i never had any control or touch and by uping the wieght just a touch i gained some touch and control

no i dont think that heavy rubbers balance out a light blade i think it throws the balance off even more to answer you question silv
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
nplarkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nplarkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 6:34pm
Just to set a few things straight, both mass and velocity are EQUALLY important in determining momentum.

The difference in the max speed a person can swing a 200 gram vs a 250 gram bat is probably the none. (relatively small amount of weight compared to the weight of our arm) If we were talking about blades that differed by more 300 grams maybe there would be a difference in the max speed a person could generate.

However, changing direction (acceleration) is slightly more difficult with the heavier blade. Which gives us the feeling of more or less speed. i.e. easier to move from back hand to for hand, start stroke, timing, etc.

So those with very short strokes may find that a light blade is faster to them because they are able to get it up to max speed in time to hit the ball, where if they were using a heavy blade they would still be trying to accelerate.

Those with longer stroke will always find heavier blades faster (provided same hardness, etc.) as they have plenty of time to accelerate the blade to max speed.  

SUNFLEX Carbon fl/Saviga/Inspirit
Armstrong 1 ply Hinoke/999t and CJ8000 on 2.2 Cannon
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 5:52pm
todays been a rough day for him... arguments to lose, forums to close, rages to sook, an heroes to make
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 4:51pm

Heh, is there something you want to share fatcomet?

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 4:40pm
sil ......Disapprove
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 10:30am
I was wondering why Silvalis would be asking that question. Did you feel that you needed some weight in your racquet? Or are you simply raising questions for us to ponder about?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 10:19am
Originally posted by silvalis silvalis wrote:

Here's something else to consider - can heavy rubbers make up for a light blade (and stabilize a loop or whatever)?

I think the weight of rubbers is a different story.  Now, you are speaking about making your loops stable, it is said that HEAVIER WEIGHT BLADES:( over 90 grams) are often more stable when hit off center and once accelerated, produce a higher speed to spin ratio for topspin attacking shots. I got it from this website http://www.gotabletennis.com/Blades_s/2.htm who was designed with the help of a professional player (Heather Wang).

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 10:06am
hmmmm, 67g for an OC seems rather farfetched. I don't think anywhere in the market would go that low. Well, i prefer heavier rubbers even if i had a heavier blade.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 8:19am
Final mass is whats important, so having Chinese rubbers or lead tape will help tweak the way it plays.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic