FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[haggisv] Best of Brand series - Joola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 7:15am
What Balsa blades is most popular?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Sponsored Links

cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 10:46am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

...You just have to read the Manufacture's description about the product...

Lol!
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2008 at 11:32am
yeah just Read it
ttkenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 12:20am
I would have to agree with Alex, the description on the rubber package is not very accurate on many of the rubbers, especially the Chinese rubbers!  It is all about the person who uses it and how they use it.  The best of series topic is a good spin on product brands.

For Joola, I recall that the Mambo rubber series is quite nice for looping and LOUD CLICKING. 

For some of these sites, all you will need to do is use one of the free translators online to read the webpage.  It may not be perfect english upon translation but it is understandable enough....

Kenny
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 3:57am
Thanks ttkenny! Yes you're right, we all experience the rubbers differently. The description can be guide in some cased, but in most cases, particularly chinese rubbers, it's pure marketing.

Yes you're right, the translators can be quite helpful sometimes... still nothing better than getting people's personal opinions, which is why I think this series is really useful...

Anyone else got any comments before we go to the next brand? Cheers!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 5:22am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I remember reading old Joola catalog.  It said that K-series are best seller.  I think they used to have K1, K3, K4, K5.  Amazingly enough, for those included in the best seller series, only K5 is still being offered in the current Joola catalog.  It might mean that K5 is really good, or it might mean that other K-series are so-so, only K5 is acceptable.

Geko, how does K5 play?  Is it, in anyway, similar to Samsonov Alpha?

Yeh, Joola got rid of some good stuff. The old viva was just great for the post-glue era, but the new one is thicker and I heard they've changed the wood.

Anyway, I only had a few knocks with the K5, it struck me as an allround blade since I was using really fast stuff back then (not like the speed 90 is that much slower now)...but the shots with it was very stable. Since when I hit with it my loop was still developing and I often put way too much power on it, but everything still went on.

Also it was well balanced. The Sam Alpha I got to try was actually a bit head heavy (also could be rubbers though, so don't read into this too much). The K5 is definately faster than the alpha though.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 5:40am
Gekogark1212, thanks for the review.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 5:49am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Gekogark1212: You mentioned the K5... do you know anything about this blade... technology sounds impressive but does it work?Tongue

All that mumbo-jumbo honeycomb technology does is decrease the weight and vibrations, and offering a unique feeling (like P700, 1-ply hinoki, Acoustic..each a unique feeling, some swear by it, some swear at it)...although the handle is nice ^_^

I can tell you amongst the not-so-famous brands, the K5 and the Samsonov Alpha gets mentioned the most in Chinese forums and magazines...mainly because they are well balanced (not too fast, good control, does everything well) type of blades.

I remember reading old Joola catalog.  It said that K-series are best seller.  I think they used to have K1, K3, K4, K5.  Amazingly enough, for those included in the best seller series, only K5 is still being offered in the current Joola catalog.  It might mean that K5 is really good, or it might mean that other K-series are so-so, only K5 is acceptable.

Geko, how does K5 play?  Is it, in anyway, similar to Samsonov Alpha?

In my club, like I mentioned before, MC-1 rules!!!  Have not seen anyone use Kool, although it is talked a lot here.

MC-1 is a beast. It is light and really fast. But it does not have much dwell time. It is good for smashing/attack.

Kool is light too. It is a little shower than MC-1, but it have much more flexible with much dwell time. Kool is great looping blade.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 6:08am
I get so frustrated to read this thread. Why hasn't anyone mentioned the excellent Joola Cat blade? Perhaps its because its been (or is about to be) discontinued?

I found it to be an excellent allround blade especially suitable for pips play.

It seems to me that most people tend to recommend the more extreme rubbers and blades and we all tend to forget that there are excellent allround equipment as well...

I suspect that Joola has very high demands on quality as I've played with 4 different Cat blades and they all felt exactly the same, unlike others were I have tried two blades and felt a noticeable difference in them.
The holy grail
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 6:30am
Is the Joola cat the slower blasa I was looking at before I ordered the Kool I wonder? I knew they had some other balsa's because I remember trying to decide between them. I've it's like Kool but slower it must be perfect
BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 11:26am
if anyone in this thread wants to buy a Joola K1 in great shape for cheap pm me, looking for $21 shipped in US, feel free to make me a trade offer or an offer at a lower price and we can see what we can work out
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Is the Joola cat the slower blasa I was looking at before I ordered the Kool I wonder? I knew they had some other balsa's because I remember trying to decide between them. I've it's like Kool but slower it must be perfect

I think it is the panther the one you are referring to, the cat is supposed to be a slower version of the panther. The kool is probably much faster than both. I have the cat and the kool and I must admit the cat is not that slow. The kool though is very fast.
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 6:49pm
I noticed a few stores don't even carry the cat or panther anymore... have they been discontinued?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 2:49am

I noticed a few stores don't even carry the cat or panther anymore... have they been discontinued?

Not only these two, the K1, K3, Carbon SWE, Carbon Pro, Sheik and many more have left the arsenal of Joola. I see them now as stock leftovers in a few shops, mostly on sale. This company seems to be renewing their offerings pretty often. And many of the discontinued blades also seem to be pretty nice. But probably did not sell as much as Joola would like... The cat and panther had actually pretty decent reviews on the net, especially for their price, while I have found also carbon pro to be an excellent blade, with thick soft outer layers, big sweet spot and relatively light and slow for a carbon blade, which makes for a sweet choice for several type of players. Now actually at $45 in a couple of places it is a really good deal...

My for sale thread
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 6:13am
sigh, you guys cost me alot of money :). I had to order the Panther and Sheik before there was none left
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 11:08am

sigh, you guys cost me alot of money :). I had to order the Panther and Sheik before there was none left

Hahahaha, sorry about that! LOL

My for sale thread
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

Not only these two, the K1, K3, Carbon SWE, Carbon Pro, Sheik and many more have left the arsenal of Joola. I see them now as stock leftovers in a few shops, mostly on sale. This company seems to be renewing their offerings pretty often. And many of the discontinued blades also seem to be pretty nice. But probably did not sell as much as Joola would like... The cat and panther had actually pretty decent reviews on the net, especially for their price, while I have found also carbon pro to be an excellent blade, with thick soft outer layers, big sweet spot and relatively light and slow for a carbon blade, which makes for a sweet choice for several type of players. Now actually at $45 in a couple of places it is a really good deal...

That's good information, thank you!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
phantagarow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantagarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 8:42pm
When I looked at the reviews of Panther at DTTW, they all seemed horrible.

Am I missing something?
IceDefence View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceDefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 9:05pm
For me, Mambo series, Sama serie and Joola Panther
DHS PG2-L

FH: Butterfly Tackiness Chop II Red 1.9
BH: Joola Poker Black 1.2
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2008 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by phantagarow phantagarow wrote:

When I looked at the reviews of Panther at DTTW, they all seemed horrible.

Am I missing something?

Well, a couple actually were favorable... :-) But you are right, a few people there dislike that blade. Geoff from aussietabletennis seem to like panther, considering he is naming it "a loopers dream" combined with tango (http://www.aussietabletennis.com/?Nav=HintsTips&hints_id=18&PageID=37&wp=37).
Algo in this thread the blade is discussed a bit: http://www.tabletennis.gr/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9795

By the way, the joola cat has a '10' average in DTTW, but only from 2 reviews, and it is pretty similar to panther according to a few people discussing these blades, just a bit slower. So it might be that these both blades create far different emotions on different people. I guess in general balsa core blades get a mixed response, people seem to love them or hate them...

I think speedplay has played with cat, so he can give an opinion on that one. Personally i think the blade is not bad at all, especially for its price, the workmanship is great, but for me it proved a bit faster than I like, could not find a good match with the rubbers I tried on it.

Anyone who has played with panther can tell us more about it too...

My for sale thread
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 3:35am
Here is my summary of the most notable / special rubbers and blades from the Joola brand. This is not meant to promote or criticize the Joola brand or products in any way, it�s simply a summary of opinions of the more famous and highly regarded products of the brand.

Overview:
The brand JOOLA has its origin in the 1950s when it was popular to combine the names of companies and cities. The sports section of the department store JOOss in LAndau was involved in the production of the first table tennis tables in 1952. Joola has grown to become a major player among the table tennis manufacturers, offering the complete range of equipment, and having shown some great innovation in their products.

Their blades are believed to be made in Germany, Hungary, Sweden and possibly some in China. A large portion of their rubbers are made in the German ESN factory, home to the majority of top Tensor (Tensor is a trademark of ESN) rubbers in the world. The remainder of their rubbers are made in Japan and China.

After talking to many people, and getting lots of great feedback from people on the table tennis forums, I�ve summarised the most popular Joola rubbers and blades below. Although the popularity can be biassed by marketing and availability, there are some that many agree on to be great products, so there must be something to it�

Rubbers:
Joola Tango has been without a doubt the most popular Joola rubber. It was one of the first Tensor rubbers released onto the market, and the unique feel and inbuilt speed-glue effect made it very popular. As demand for more speed grew, Joola released the Tango Extrem, a considerably faster version of the Tango, which also became quite popular.

The Tensors appear to be the most popular Joola rubbers. The Energy Green Power in particular, and more recently the Energy X-Tra and Air Rosnet have enjoyed moderate popularity. Only very recently Joola released the Express One and Express Two rubbers, but it�s too early to judge how good these new rubber are. With several other major manufacturers releasing Tensor rubbers, it is getting harder to retain a competitive advantage.

Tensor are not for everyone, and Joola has released some other rubbers with reasonable success. The Japanese made like Mambo, Mambo H, the Samba and Drum all enjoyed some popularity, but don�t stand out as much as the Tensors. With the speed glue ban now in place, they may become less popular as some of these need glue to really come alive.

The Tango Ultra is one of the most successful short pimple rubbers, offering great spin potential and control, thanks to the wide pimpled grippy topsheet and the Tensor sponge. Joola Snabb also deserve a mention.

For the more defensive players, there is the Joola Tony Hold Antitop which is held in high regard. Some of the long pimpled rubbers, like the Fakir and Razor, did not survive the ITTF frictionless long pimple ban, although Octopus, rumoured to be made by TSP Japan, has gained some popularity since it�s release.

Blades:
Joola is not one of the most popular brands for its blades, although they have enjoyed some success with some of their range and are generally regarded as high quality blades. The Balsa core blades appear to be the most successful. The Joola Kool, Panther and Cat were quite popular for a while, but the Kool appears to be the only one still made, as is easily the most popular of the three. More recently the Joola MC1 and R*1 have gained some popularity too.

The K-series appeared to have been very popular in China, although only their most popular, the K5 appears to be still made. A few others like the Fever, Viva, Guo 3C deserve a mention, but have never become very popular. Similarly some of the Rosskopf blade, like the Fire, Force & Allround deserve a mention.

For a modern defensive blade, the Chen Weixing is easily the most popular and highly regarded blade from Joola. The Hold White deserves a mention as well and has a small following.

Final words:
It is likely that a player of any level and style can find something appropriate from the Joola brand, but this is the case for many of the other major brands too. Hopefully this summary will be useful for Joola fans or those that only have this brand available to choose from. Joola do have a range of other table tennis related items, in fact they pretty much sell everything related to table tennis, but blades and rubbers are the extent of this write-up.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 6:06am
I dont know where you got this info but the Rossi allround is one of most popular allround blades!
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 7:05am
You may be right, but since almost no-one mentioned it, it could indicate that this is not the case in other countries or areas, or it's not so popular anymore. This writeup is simply a summary of all the feedback I've received from players I've talked to and from the 3 forum, so that is what it's based on...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 7:18am

You may be right, but since almost no-one mentioned it, it could indicate that this is not the case in other countries or areas, or it's not so popular anymore. This writeup is simply a summary of all the feedback I've received from players I've talked to and from the 3 forum, so that is what it's based on...

it is but probably not in australia asia and usa. in europe allround blades are much more popular.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 7:18am
Nice write up, the more expensive ones are definatly very high end blades as far as quality goes, it allways seems to be the case with the Euro blades :0 (and best of all they fit Euro hands) this is what the world is waiting for China to catch up on (quality) they are trying hard but still have a way to go yet
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 1:55pm
P.S my soon to be extinct Panther and $heik/Sheik have been shipped, I'll let you guys know how they are in a couple weeks just for historys sake. The Sheik is supposed to be similar to the Kool but slower
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

it is but probably not in australia asia and usa. in europe allround blades are much more popular.

Yes I believe you... the forums seem to have a much smaller number of European members, so that will bias the findings...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 8:15pm

P.S my soon to be extinct Panther and $heik/Sheik have been shipped, I'll let you guys know how they are in a couple weeks just for historys sake. The Sheik is supposed to be similar to the Kool but slower

Pssst If they're good, don't tell anyone, or I'll have to update my essay aboveBig%20smileLOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 8:28pm
If they are good you better start a petition to get them back in production :!) as far as I can see from someone that doesn't use glue, balsa blades maybe soon in for a comeback :D
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2008 at 8:48am
Some joola blades are also made in Hungary (or were), probably a large number of them. My carbon pro said that on the box, the others I got used so do not know where they were made. But I am sure I read somewhere recently that they have a factory in Hungary.

My for sale thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic