Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with my first "good" racket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ali-g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ali-g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with my first "good" racket
    Posted: 09/30/2008 at 7:33pm

I am a recreational player and looking to buy a new table tennis racket. Since there are so many options I am a little lost and hoping some of you might be able to help..

My style of play is fairly aggressive (fast + spin). I used Yasaka Mark V paddle for the last year or so and it is very old now so I am looking for an upgrade. Also, it seems like I need to build my own paddle and buy the rubber /blade separately, something I've never done before. Any online retailers that can do this for me?

My budget is up to ~$120. Please let me know if you have any suggestions (specific brands/models will be great).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 7:40pm
Are you in North America?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ali-g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ali-g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 7:44pm
San Francisco

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 8:57pm
I would advise you to contact Cole_Ely, and welcome to the forum !
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

walkoffaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkoffaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:39pm
http://www.colestt.com/index.php this guy will hook you up
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:43pm
Well his budget is 120$ no reason he can't go with some more expensive japanese stuff.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:56pm
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 3:08am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Well his budget is 120$ no reason he can't go with some more expensive japanese stuff.

He doesn't seem very good to make full use of them though..
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 6:29am
aside from cole's wonderful array of low cost good quality equipment try checking the beginner's blade and rubber thread in the equipment section
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ali-g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ali-g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 5:26pm
Thanks to everyone
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 5:31pm
Although, I have blades/rubbers available for sale, I'd recommend Cole for low cost good quality products. www.colestt.com
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 7:25pm
speedpong.net they are in New York. less expensive but also less to choose from.
paddlepalace.com, full line of brands, more expensive.

www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 8:26pm
well if i had 120$ i would buy a complete set up from butterfly only because its my fav brand. i would get sriver g2 fx (2.1 black) cermet (2.1 red) and a vsg1000. that set up might be too fast for you but thats what i would get for me. but what i would recommend for you would be a petr korbel with sriver el and sriver g2 fx. thats def under 120 and would be enough for you to control and to learn a lil bit off of.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 11:56pm
brands a brand, cole will fix u up real nicely at unbelievable below cost
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by bowebj bowebj wrote:

well if i had 120$ i would buy a complete set up from butterfly only because its my fav brand. i would get sriver g2 fx (2.1 black) cermet (2.1 red) and a vsg1000. that set up might be too fast for you but thats what i would get for me. but what i would recommend for you would be a petr korbel with sriver el and sriver g2 fx. thats def under 120 and would be enough for you to control and to learn a lil bit off of.

Yikes. Personally I don't think this is very good advice. Before you go off and blow $120 on a $50 and $40 rubbers, it's important to identify what kind of play you identify yourself with, (or see yourself improving to.) That way when you do improve, you'll be playing with something you will enjoy with rather than wondering if you changed your equipment will you play better.

I made the mistake of holy moly I like to play fast so I bought the BFY Primorac Carbon. After reaching around 1500 level, I realized, it's too fast for me.

You want to first identify what kind of stroke you play with. Power stroke? Spinny stroke? Stroke with control? Fast stroke? These are the four qualities I think most standard players can identify with. For power think Wang Liqin or Ryu Seung Min. For spin think Ma Lin or Timo Boll. For speed think Chuan Chih-Yuan. For control think Samsonov. This is definitely not saying that you are going to play like these players. All of these players can play every different stroke but they have a distinct style that they will normally use and BASE THEIR GAME AROUND.

I posted this earlier in a thread called "Powerful Forehand Loop" when people were arguing that Timo had the most powerful forehand loop. The way I like to look at the way players stroke the ball are through a couple qualities.
1. Power - The quality of hitting the ball hard (more of a driving stroke)
2. Spin - The quality of spinning the ball (more of a brushing stroke)
3. Control - Placement emphasis
4. Speed - Rate at which strokes are hit at (girls play with high speed but with less power, often times the strokes are much shorter)

Wang Liqin is the quintessential of the modern power shakehand player. But he doesn't use an expensive blade (or he didn't before the glue ban). He used a cheapo all-wood blade Offensive Classic CR from Stiga. For him he could generate power from his swing and needed a blade with control that could handle it. Ryu Seung Min on the other hand uses Hinoki because he's a Korean penholder so he's an outlier.

Timo is the ideal model for the European-looping game. He has quick short strokes and plays with heavy spin. He plays a spin and speed game and because the lack of power he uses a blade with more kick to it, BFY TBS w/ carbon.

Girls play very close to the table with quick strokes that allow for fast rallies. Now these players often use blades that are "faster" and will usually have like carbon or something in them. These are the speed players.

So what kind of player you really? There's different kinds of fast but if you play with power and spin (kind of like Ma Long) then there are plenty of dwell time blades with ample power. If you play speed and spin, then maybe something with carbon or something might help.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:07am
At $120 I would go all Butterfly as bowebj said. You can go all Stiga/Yasaka/Donic too.

Contrary to what many on this board would have you believe, a table tennis racket can last you your whole lifetime and that is the mindset I think you should go into your purchase with.

I would suggest two sheets of Yasaka Mark V rubber (~$60)

and a Butterfly Korbel blade (~$55).

I would suggest against a VSG series blade. I've owned one before and even though the performance/value is good, they are not the same as 'real' Butterfly blades. A medium-fast blade with good reviews like the Korbel, plus two rubber sheets you will feel comfortable with right out ofthe package (since you use the same ones now), sounds right to me.
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:59am
I also believe that the Korbel / Yasaka Mark V combination will be great and will help you advance your game.

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed in the FS category a combo that may interest you, at a very good price:

http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21244
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 9:24am
Actually I'd recommend a:
BTY Timo Boll Blade ($44.99)
with Sriver EL ($29.99) on both sides,
or Sriver FX ($29.99) if you like more spin with a softer sponge.

The combo will cost you about $105. Its the same combo I used when I bought my first pro racket. It was recommended to me by my coach and has served me well. As long as you keep the rubber clean and store it safely, it should last you a while.
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Low Tek Low Tek wrote:

Actually I'd recommend a:
BTY Timo Boll Blade ($44.99)
with Sriver EL ($29.99) on both sides,
or Sriver FX ($29.99) if you like more spin with a softer sponge.

The combo will cost you about $105. Its the same combo I used when I bought my first pro racket. It was recommended to me by my coach and has served me well. As long as you keep the rubber clean and store it safely, it should last you a while.

yup, a decent blade with a couple of srivers. can't go wrong with this.
Or how about stiga, I think Stiga has more to choose from than BTY. the good old Mendos.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by ali-g ali-g wrote:

San Francisco

then get the following combo from Cole Ely (colestt.com)

Gambler Arylate-Carbon ($32) plus LKT Pro XP 2.0 on both sides ($20 combo upcharge) plus $5 shipping (and Cole will add a free paddle cover)

All in all $57 for a very good first combo which can last you years actually... of course you will need to change the rubbers once in a while.

If you want something even more aggressive (but I doubt it - if you are a recreational player then this should be enough) you can get a great blade, Galaxy W-1 for $60 from Cole... and same rubbers I guess, or go with Dawei Inspirit Quattro 2.0 on FH, Venus of Six Shooter on BH - $85 for everything.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:24pm
well the kid said hed spend up to 120 so why set him up with something thats 50$. petr korbel with sriver on both sides, enough said! case closed. perfect for noobs
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:30pm
btw jkillashark... your more likely confusing the hell outta him with ur jargen nonsense only intermediate to pro players would understand. so before you say i was giving bad advice look at the 2 other peoples suggestion with the korbel + sriver rubbers. oh ya you completly missed his topic... to help him decide for a new racket not confuse him with your nonsense.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:41pm
JimT,
     Right on!  Smile
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by bowebj bowebj wrote:

btw jkillashark... your more likely confusing the hell outta him with ur jargen nonsense only intermediate to pro players would understand. so before you say i was giving bad advice look at the 2 other peoples suggestion with the korbel + sriver rubbers. oh ya you completly missed his topic... to help him decide for a new racket not confuse him with your nonsense.

Hmmm maybe that's the case, but I think it's more important to find something that will be lasting for his game rather than buying stuff hastily from a company.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 2:37pm
Just because he has a budget up to 120 doesn't mean he has to spend it.  Maybe he doesn't know he can get something decent for under $50, and if he knew that he'd have an extra $70 to spend on lessons?

Personally, I think in the 120 range you get the most bang for your buck with donic, as far as the major brands go.  I think korbel may be a bit fast personally.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 2:45pm
Korbel and 1.9mm Sriver, or 1.8mm and 2.0mm Mark V.
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2008 at 10:52pm

well thats his budget and im spending up to it. if his budget was 50$ then sure a cheap chinese set up from cole is perfect. but his budget is 120 and forget spending 70$ on lessons, its fun learning the game on your own. oh and whats that? another korbel sriver combo... hmmm looks like we have a trend going on, cant go wrong with that.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic