FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT ball quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NTTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT ball quality
    Posted: 01/26/2009 at 12:55pm
Does any one out there know how to evaluate TT Balls?

Every so often someone comes to the club with a name brand, only to find it seems some how different. Bouncing or spinning is no different but when playing it seems to do wierd things like different sounds (cracked), wierd spins from loops and underspin, rolling instead of bouncing??   

Are there any way to tell quality, differences, wannabe's, copies etc?
Sponsored Links

ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 12:57pm
the number of stars on the ball and weither or not its translucent

-3 stars it good
-cant have a seem
-try not to get translucent ones
-spin the ball on your hand or on a table and watch it spin to see if its perfectly round
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
NTTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 1:00pm
How about the logo, colouring...

ie DHS copies are darker (or is it lighter)?

When you say seam - do you mean it should not be visible?
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 1:04pm
Additionally by looking at the text/prints. I've seen fake bty ball where the text/prints weren't as straight/bold/aligned as the real ones....
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 1:22pm
The first thing you want to do is check for roundness.  Take the ball and spin fast on the axis of the seam.   If it wobbles....its not round and will have odd effects.  Then go from checking how hard or stiff it feels when flat hitting for a few.  Some like harder balls....some like medium stiff.  Im not sure how quality may be proven if a ball is harder or stiffer as they make break easier pending on this fact.  

With that said, I like 3 Star Double Fish balls to play, and DHS 3 star balls in my robot because they feel a bit softer or lighter.  Sometimes white balls feel stiffer or heavier than the same type in orange color. 
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 1:44pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2iEjw9ASo
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 3:04pm
good job stan1551,  I forgot about that one.

I really like the pingskills vids.  Those helped me so much in developing my game so far.  I highly recommend viewing all their vids!   I much appreciate the work and time they put into all their vids on youtube. 
NTTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 4:31pm
Excellent talk on choosing TT ball - very helpful. Tx
jtl_koreanpride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtl_koreanpride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 6:25pm
1. Three Star ball
2. Test for hardness/soft spots by pressing on it
3. Test for roundness by spinning it
4. Check for "ITTF Approved" (this is very important), not USATT, or other TTs approved, it must be ITTF.

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 11:04pm
haha Now that you mention it I remember seeing those fake BTY balls, too. Also, a word of advice, stay away AWAY from Stiga 3 star balls.  Yes there 3 stars but they're TERRIBLE light and colored weird and not durable.  EWW

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 8:01am
LOL Yea, the Stiga balls are bad... You can see through them at times.

There isn't a market for fake training balls, just to add.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

haha Now that you mention it I remember seeing those fake BTY balls, too. Also, a word of advice, stay away AWAY from Stiga 3 star balls.� Yes there 3 stars but they're TERRIBLE light and colored weird and not durable.� EWW

Swiffy,

What are you talking about? I have 3 Star Stiga balls both "Competition" and "OPTIMUM" brands. They are really good. We have been using them for sanctioned tournaments for years, for God's sakes... I have yet to hear a complain about them.. Granted, they are overpriced... You can get Double Fish 3 star balls which are as good in every way (and, probably, produced on the same factory) for half the price, but that is a different story. The only thing I can think about is the balls you had are FAKE Stiga balls same as those FAKE Butterfly balls....
We are getting our Stiga balls from TT Pioneers (www.ping-pong.com)
So far, I've tried Stiga, Nittaku, Butterfly, 729, DHS, Gambler, DHS, Newgy, Double Fish balls and, IMHO, the Double Fish 3 star balls have the best quality/price ratio as of right now. Again, this for 3 star tt balls.
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Totoro Totoro wrote:

LOL Yea, the Stiga balls are bad... You can see through them at times.

There isn't a market for fake training balls, just to add.

This is a market for fake training balls. Just go here and see it for yourself. USA 4 Star Premium Training Balls. Made in Taiwan.

Also I have some STIGA balls and I have to say that STIGA's 2 Star and Trainer balls sucks. Dosen't bounce evenly and cracks easily. Optimum balls are the best. In my opinion, I think Nittaku Premium is the best ball specially the white one. DHS balls are good also for the price and they bounce like Nittaku. I haven't tried Double Fish but will get one later.
See you guys in the next life!...................
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 5:07pm
Is there places to avoid that are renowned to sell "fake" tt balls???

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 5:12pm
Yes, it is called Ebay....
No, I am kidding...I am sure where are some decent sellers on Ebay as well...... but for sure, there is a greater chance to get fake things on Ebay as opposed to a reputable shop(s)...
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 8:58pm
I have never hit a Stiga ball that I wanted to hit again. No, I am not a snob, I simply have senses. Maybe the OPTIMUM ball was passable; I hardly remember.

Were this a poll I'd say go 3*** DoubleFish.
All the other tips regarding what should be considered have already been given.
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
ErikaT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 9:50pm
butterfly ones hav the most durability
while i like doublefish the most

but DHS ones are the cheapest which i m using now
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2009 at 11:13pm
Butterfly still stands for top quality - they last much longer and worth the investment. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 12:59am
nittaku 3 star is probably my fav
or the dhs 3 star from the 04 olympics (white ball with red and black wording)
i also like the doublefish 3 stars a lot too

id play with any of these but i mainly play with orange dhs 3 stars though.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 2:51am
The following are good in my perspective:
DHS 3 Star 2004 Athen Balls
Double Fish 3 Star
Nittaku 3 Star Premium (if you're willing to pay the price)
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 3:01am
nittaku 3 star is the most durable i have used,the stiga  3 star optimum balls seem lighter and play a little differently
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 3:22am
Just a warning - never use Nittaku 3Star/3StarPremium OUTDOORS.

They're so thin and fragile - crack real easily.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 10:49pm
The Gambler Bullet Platinum are pretty good. They use em at my local club frequently :)
Rutis
FH: H3
BH: T64
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Totoro Totoro wrote:

Just a warning - never use Nittaku 3Star/3StarPremium OUTDOORS.

They're so thin and fragile - crack real easily.

Ha Ha Totoro. Ain't that the truth! Then again, that could apply to any *** ball. It is real dusty here and on places where the floor is concrete, I go through 4 or so a day. The concrete quickly eats the surface to be too thin and one power loop becomes the straw on the camel's back. It doesn't matter whether it is BTY or Nittaku *** balls, they all die of a sudden and expensive death. I go through 1 or 2 a day on hard stone tile floors. That is why I like Gambler Platinum ***s. They feel just as hard and solid as BTY/Nittaku, but cost 3 for $1 USD, instead of $5. Same feel and 5 times less expensive - can't beat it. I frequently buy 36 ct bags and at $12, it cost about the same as 6 Nittaku premium ***s.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 3:23pm
Interestingly, when I talked to Giant Dragon they told me their balls were used by Joola and Stiga. Those are like the two WORST balls sold by major brands.

The stiga optimum, though, are hardball formula made by dhs. Fragile, but play very well while they last.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 3:34pm
What about Yasaka balls? They seem to be hard to come by nowadays. I don't even know who carries them anymore.
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 6:22pm
You can buy Yasaka balls in Europe... haven't seen them in the US. I would rate them as high as Butterfly but they are as expensive (at least)
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 6:33pm
For club play, serious practice etc I would wholly recommend Gambler Platinum ***. They are pretty cheap - $12 for a bag of 36, and they play almost as good as Butterflys. One problem I have encountered is that they last less than premium grade balls like Nittaku Premium (all balls, however premium they are, die if you accidentally step on them or crunch them in anger). They are also a tiny bit softer. But for that price you can't beat them - unless you are having a fancy superstar tournament.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 6:59pm
Ditto on the Gambler *** Platinums.  That's all I buy these days.  I'm done with coughing up $2 for a table tennis ball.

I do think that they are marginally less durable than the Nittaku *** Premiums I used to play with.  And I suppose that they may play slightly differently.  But these differences are very subtle and hard to quantify.

For instance with breakage, I've had nearly brand new Nittakus split on the seam while playing.  That has never happened with a Gambler.  However, the Gamblers seem more likely to split perpendicular to the seem more frequently when play includes heavy smashes.

In the end, I lose more balls due to someone walking off with them than I do from breakage.  I used to put my initials on my Nittakus to try to help combat that.  With the Gamblers, I just don't really care.  One less thing to pay attentions to.

As for play, I've only run across two players who seem to seriously dislike the way they play.  Both are defensive players, so perhaps they are picking up on something subtle I don't notice.  But with the exception of those two players, nobody else seems to care much.  I've found going back and forth between Gambler, Nittaku, Butterfy and DHS balls presents me with no difficulties.  I'm now on my second bag of 36 and am still quite happy.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic