Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When to know to upgrade to composite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to know to upgrade to composite
    Posted: 01/03/2011 at 9:55pm
been playing with the same blade for a year a week from now, and was wondering if a carbon blade would benefit me.

Is there a noticeable difference playing from a 7ply wood to a carbon blade?

I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Sponsored Links

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2011 at 12:22am
All the different types of carbon play completely different so it's impossible to say. Some Hinoki carbons.. ok maybe all Hinoki carbon's are super faster with lots of rebound. Balsa cored carbons are also often silly fast but don't feel the same (you can also get some very slow balsa carbons). Limba carbons are different again (more normal feeling but still stiffer and faster). If you get a thick enough top ply on them or a soft carbon, then they can be pretty much like an all wood blade, just more expensive :)

Edited by nicefrog - 01/04/2011 at 12:23am

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2011 at 6:40pm
how about playing characteristics frog? I understand their composition plays a part too, but the whole notion of a "larger sweet spot" is what im looking for (sorry i didnt specify)
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2011 at 7:38pm
mm apart from the balsa's I don't think the control or sweet spot is especially better on carbon blades. I like the non hinoki carbons with big fat outer plys the most but they (and the hinoki's) are very heavy blades. The ones with the very thin outer plys make obscene sounds and really feel like like a very stiff fast block of well... carbon lol. I know I've just bought one like I describe as being obscene blocks of carbon and an extreme version of it :P but that's something I want to try especially because of the hardness and the sounds/vibrations etc with an esn rubber.  

Soft carbons like the TBS just feel like a good all wood blade + some lead thrown in to bring it up to brick weight. There's one hard carbon galaxy do called the... 2024? which is cheap with a fat outer ply if you want to try that kind of blade for a test run, it's not crazy fast but fast enough. If you really want extra control and a larger sweet spot a carbon balsa is what you should be looking for, they match up the best with untuned old school Chinese rubbers too because of the super spring the balsa blades have without the weight and you can also get them slower than the Hino carbons are

Edited by nicefrog - 01/04/2011 at 7:42pm

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 10:41pm
been playing w. the same allwood blade for a year now and would like to know if i am ready to upgrade to a composite blade.  

will there be a difference?
will it improve my game?

It would be great if others can share their experience when they switched to a composite blade. 

thanks
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 10:45pm
YOU STOP, STOP IT NOW
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:01pm
Took 5 years to realize the power of all-wood. When the ball flies past the opponent, the difference between it flying fast, and it flying faster is inconsequential - it is flying past all the same.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:07pm
I switched at about 8 years, realised about 4 years later that I had made a mistake :) then used a soft composite (glass rather than carbon). Carbon blades are fine so long as they aren't too fast

rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:11pm
The composite blades from the Gambler line are very controllable
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by DeIgado DeIgado wrote:

YOU STOP, STOP IT NOW

+1

when you can put 50 counters, pushes in a row from both FH and backhand sides?

...all kidding aside, it sounds like you want glass fibre or kevlar (increases sweet spot, does some vibration dampening)... but depending on where you are at developing touch, this sort of vibration dampening can actually impede your feel for incoming spin.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:19pm
thanks guys

Originally posted by DeIgado DeIgado wrote:

YOU STOP, STOP IT NOW

lmao its only a question for future references, hence "when to know to upgrade to composite"
do we have practice btw tomorrow?
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2011 at 11:22pm
hey icontek and robjkc

thanks for reminding me of my other post, but there are similarities and differences to it
only this time i guess im using what i am learning from the other thread
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:04am
I don't think a carbon blade would benefit you unless your main game is far from the table. Fast carbon blades have less feel and flatter trajectories, so they go into the net or out the table more. Some of the slower carbon blades like TBS are quite good, but then again they play a lot like all-wood blades which are cheaper.

In general I find faster blades to be less spinny, they have less offensive power near the table. They are more for people who play far from the table.
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:22am
Sometimes I kind of wonder what's the difference actually. If you keep practicing often with an all-wood blade and a composite blade you can progress either way. There's no moment in knowing that you should just upgrade now and everything will be ok. If you switch from a slow all-wood blade to a fast all-wood blade it's still an adjustment. Same thing with composite. It's still just an adjustment. I can't say I play better with a 5-ply wood, a 7-ply wood, or a composite blade, I can say that if I switch between each in a short period of time, I'll play differently with each, which of course is because each blade itself is different. Just pick and stick with something you're comfortable with and practice more, it'll pay more dividends than changing equipment.

Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:41am
i guess the EJ bug had bitten me to a point where i need others to either sway me towards a purchase or not lol

maybe thats why others EJ from other's experiences and posted reviews of temptations lol LOL

thanks guys
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 12:45am
Get a Nittaku Violin instead! Or a Timo Boll ZLF, plays a lot like 5-ply wood but with a larger sweet spot.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 1:17am
Besides being both expensive, these are two really different blades.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 1:48am
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

Get a Nittaku Violin instead! Or a Timo Boll ZLF, plays a lot like 5-ply wood but with a larger sweet spot.

i was actually looking at the zlf and took an interest in it
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 8:41am
Originally posted by ztec ztec wrote:

Sometimes I kind of wonder what's the difference actually. If you keep practicing often with an all-wood blade and a composite blade you can progress either way. There's no moment in knowing that you should just upgrade now and everything will be ok. If you switch from a slow all-wood blade to a fast all-wood blade it's still an adjustment. Same thing with composite. It's still just an adjustment. I can't say I play better with a 5-ply wood, a 7-ply wood, or a composite blade, I can say that if I switch between each in a short period of time, I'll play differently with each, which of course is because each blade itself is different. Just pick and stick with something you're comfortable with and practice more, it'll pay more dividends than changing equipment.

so true......so true.......Clap
Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa JO Gold (FH)/Yasaka Mark V (BH)

Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa X1(Turbo) Platin(FH)/Xiom Vega Europe (BH)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 9:21am
try the 7 ply wood! no matter how fast the ball you can still feel it and with lots of control which is the most important factor. though carbon blades may increase your speed, your strokes are the one that really matters most.. for 7 ply blades try the following:
1. clipper wood
2. avx p700
3. xiom solo
4. xiom amadeus
5. nittaku septear
6. timo boll w7
7. and my favorite stiga ebenholz 7 (but this blade is kinda picky on its owners)
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 9:57am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

try the 7 ply wood! no matter how fast the ball you can still feel it and with lots of control which is the most important factor. though carbon blades may increase your speed, your strokes are the one that really matters most.. for 7 ply blades try the following:
1. clipper wood
2. avx p700
3. xiom solo
4. xiom amadeus
5. nittaku septear
6. timo boll w7
7. and my favorite stiga ebenholz 7 (but this blade is kinda picky on its owners)
I would like to add Xiom Control... if Xiom still makes them.. Great blade..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 10:19am
Btw, back to the original question.
It will be hard to know when you can switch to Composite blades. Some players even started out using composite blades and a few of them can turn out to be very good players.. I think even Fred started out using composite blade Big smile
IMO, whatever equipment you use, if you have the ability, you can get use to it given you use it for a good period of time. I mean if your basic are good (strokes, short game,etc.), I don't think it will be a problem. The problem is when you switch your game will probably drop first. And if you are not patient enough you might be tempted to go back to your original setup immediately.
Also it's important that when you switch, you choose a composite blade that suitable to your style. For example if you loop a lot, you probably won't like Schlager Carbon, but if you like to mix with some flat hit/smash then it is an ideal blade.

just my 2 cents..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
ichini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ichini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 10:37am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Btw, back to the original question.
It will be hard to know when you can switch to Composite blades. Some players even started out using composite blades and a few of them can turn out to be very good players.. I think even Fred started out using composite blade Big smile
IMO, whatever equipment you use, if you have the ability, you can get use to it given you use it for a good period of time. I mean if your basic are good (strokes, short game,etc.), I don't think it will be a problem. The problem is when you switch your game will probably drop first. And if you are not patient enough you might be tempted to go back to your original setup immediately.
Also it's important that when you switch, you choose a composite blade that suitable to your style. For example if you loop a lot, you probably won't like Schlager Carbon, but if you like to mix with some flat hit/smash then it is an ideal blade.

just my 2 cents..

yup,i agree with you,i started out with a composite blade too,and i even started out with a tensor!
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 3:58pm
such  a silly question!!!

based on your question...  the overwhelming number of pro players playing wood blades haven't reached that level. or what??? 

i am surprised so many people even answered!!Angry
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 4:06pm
nah dont do it, it wont make you happy or make you play any better. rather, it will likely make you feel insecure, and you will likely play a little worse.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 4:56pm
hey debraj,

chill out man.

you mad?
nashron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Took 5 years to realize the power of all-wood. When the ball flies past the opponent, the difference between it flying fast, and it flying faster is inconsequential - it is flying past all the same.

interesting but i couldnt understand.. can u elobrate more :)
Now i use DHS Hking 655 but i miss my the moments i use dr neubaeur firewall plus.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

hey debraj,

chill out man.

you mad?

LOL
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 8:05pm
Big smile
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2011 at 1:06am
I played wood blades for years, most recently the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha (a very good soft blade), but have always liked the solid feel of carbon blades.  I did not use carbon blades because they were just too fast (I have a Butterfly Sardius in the closet--loved the feel but not the speed).  But recently I found a slow enough carbon blade for me: the JUIC Stellan Bentgsson Alpha (ALL+ rating).  I love it, especially for the huge sweet spot, but I recently cracked it hitting the table's edge.  So now I'm using my backup blade (JUIC Hybrid--a little softer, but also very good) while waiting for my replacement Stellan Bengtsson.
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic