Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ZJK vs. Wang Hao WTTC 2013 LGL commenting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZJK vs. Wang Hao WTTC 2013 LGL commenting
    Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:08pm
In Chinese...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yowOpK-_ls
Edit: found a much better quality vid from janus, exactly the same version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUg15ECMARE

Some interesting things he said:

1. ZJK's game is difficult for WH because he has stronger legs, which makes superior/more stable in the rally away from the table. Regarding this, Liu also said Ma Long is harder for ZJK because he moves quicker even though covers less area than ZJK.

2. ZJK's BH defense is also better -- he can withstand several direct hits from Wang Hao, which Ma Long can't do. On top of that, ZJK is also better in turning defense into offense after a couple of blocks. (I'd say that's a deadly combo LOL)

3. Surprisingly, Liu says both ZJK and WH's shot quality is significantly higher than ML (1st time I heard something like that from anyone, let alone the head coach of the CNT!). He further explains that Zhang and Wang's shots are lower and closer to the net, thus more likely to win points (that's how "quality" is defined, I guess Smile), even though their shots are riskier at the same time. This is why rallies are shorter between ZJK and WH while Ma Long tends to have long rallies.

Edited by ZingyDNA - 05/21/2013 at 4:46pm
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:11pm
Any comments from Ma Long since the end of the tournament?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

"In today's semifinal, I feel that I had a mediocre performance. Haven't Wang Hao played well, I may still not feel particularly good in the match." 

"Actually, I have opportunities in the first two sets. Today, my ball handling was no match to what Wang Hao did." 

"I feel that there is an opposition but what is important is to look on myself. My performance in the semifinal rounds of world competitions is just poor."

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:17pm

I haven't watched the entire vid but I'm pretty sure it's not in there. I remember reading some online Chinese news report that says Ma Long commented he doesn't seem to play well in semis of Worlds.. LOL year right genius Big smile
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:25pm
So Ma Long is saying it's mental and LGL is saying there technique issues with his game against Wang Hao. So shouldn't LGL - have fixed these issues as he is Ma Long coach right?
Butterfly MPS
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:36pm

So Ma Long is saying it's mental and LGL is saying there technique issues with his game against Wang Hao. So shouldn't LGL - have fixed these issues as he is Ma Long coach right?

Liu is just saying ZJK and WH takes more risks to finish point quicker, which he defines as "quality". I think it's hard to change ML's style to play like that, and he might even play worse that way. Besides, Ma Long doesn't have to take risky shots against most pros except those two, so he just needs to adjust his game when playing ZJK and WH. He has beaten both a few times at least so he has the tools. It's mostly the mental game he's lacking imo.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:38pm
I do not think LGL wants ma long to dominate. I think LGL likes strong egos because ultimately they dominate given equal skills. Ma Long is modest and I have had for a while the impression LGL considers him as a wimp and does the strict minimum for him, telling him the obvious without working much to raise his game. 
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I do not think LGL wants ma long to dominate. I think LGL likes strong egos because ultimately they dominate given equal skills. Ma Long is modest and I have had for a while the impression LGL considers him as a wimp and does the strict minimum for him, telling him the obvious without working much to raise his game. 

Maybe Liu is disappointed because he gave Ma Long so many chances at world stage, yet Ma keep losing when it counts, to Chinese and even non-Chinese...

Edited by ZingyDNA - 05/21/2013 at 4:49pm
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:51pm
I think people read too much into their techniques.  It may be as simple as who bring their A game on a certain day.  Apparently, ML did not when he played WH in the SF.   But on any given day, I am willing to bet my morgage 3:7 odd on ML beating WH and 1:1 on ML beating ZJK.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

I think people read too much into their techniques.  It may be as simple as who bring their A game on a certain day.  Apparently, ML did not when he played WH in the SF.   But on any given day, I am willing to bet my morgage 3:7 odd on ML beating WH and 1:1 on ML beating ZJK.
Yes, Ma Long is a safe bet as long as it's not the Olympics & WTTC
Butterfly MPS
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 4:57pm
I thought Ma Long has a winning head to head record against everyone on the CNT except against Wang Hao.

This (with English subtitles) discusses the various crisis that Wang Hao, Ma Lin and Zhang Jike went thru in their careers and the steps LGL took.  I wonder if he has done the same (or will do something similar) for Ma Long or has already put him under the Hao Shuai, Chen Qi category and will focus more on the upcoming players such as FZD, YA, FB.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gheycnSBvA
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

I thought Ma Long has a winning head to head record against everyone on the CNT except against Wang Hao.

This (with English subtitles) discusses the various crisis that Wang Hao, Ma Lin and Zhang Jike went thru in their careers and the steps LGL took.  I wonder if he has done the same (or will do something similar) for Ma Long or has already put him under the Hao Shuai, Chen Qi category and will focus more on the upcoming players such as FZD, YA, FB.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gheycnSBvA

Ma Long is only 25 so I don't think Liu will put him under Hao Shuai category yet. He'll have at least a few more years to prove himself until Rio 2016. His clock is ticking..
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 5:32pm
Ma Long had a successful tournament, took down a hot Timo and Koki. Why you guys constantly bashing him? If he lost to a world 100 like Ma Lin in an early round, he would deserve the bashing. 
Did you guys lose money in a bet? that's why you're pissed at Ma Long?
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Ma Long had a successful tournament, took down a hot Timo and Koki. Why you guys constantly bashing him? If he lost to a world 100 like Ma Lin in an early round, he would deserve the bashing. 

+1 to this. 

The guy makes it to the semi finals, he loses to a teammate who is currently ranked #4 in the world, gave JZK a better match than XX did in the previous round and everybody is "What's wrong with Ma Long?"

I think everybody is trying to crack the code of what happened. IMO it's really as simple as all these guys (WH, ML, ZJK, XX) are really really good, very close in skill and on any given day if they're hot probably can beat one another.

It just wasn't Ma Long's day and he got bet. Simple as that.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

+1 to this. 
The guy makes it to the semi finals, he loses to a teammate who is currently ranked #4 in the world, gave JZK a better match than XX did in the previous round and everybody is "What's wrong with Ma Long?"
I think everybody is trying to crack the code of what happened. IMO it's really as simple as all these guys (WH, ML, ZJK, XX) are really really good, very close in skill and on any given day if they're hot probably can beat one another.
It just wasn't Ma Long's day and he got bet. Simple as that.

Agreed.
Whao played very well this time. Better than usually and it was his day and not Malong's day.
MaLong himself said whao's handling was very good. Lgl told about the arc.
Wh's bh was better than before. It is the time i watched whao playing with lower bh arc. The best whao match in the last years.

Edited by ejmaster - 05/21/2013 at 6:39pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 6:37pm
I don't buy this "random results between equals and it all depends who is hot on the day" theory for a minute.

The first time it happens (WTTC 2009) then maybe. The second time (WTTC 2011) then you ask questions. The third time (WTTC 2013) then I think you know...

Turn it around. If it was all random, then what were the chances that ZJK was the guy that got hot when it counted in the last three WTTC's / OG's? And we have consistently seen WH handling things second best and ML / XX struggling, nothing random at all in the biggest events. 

When you put it all into the context that ZJK was once thrown out of the CNT because of arrogance and that LGL has consistently said that ML is mentally weak and battles self doubt then it all makes sense. I don't think this is rocket science.

Edited by ttTurkey - 05/21/2013 at 6:38pm
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 6:49pm
Ma long wasn't mentally weak at all in the whao match. He was able to change gears when things were going to a 4-0.
He was able to turn the 4th set to his side going back to a fierce fh pivoting when the bh to bh rally was facing an inspired whao bh.
But whao service was very good and his fh didnt fail at the time to get in.
Everything that day worked to whao and Ma Long couldnt beat him.
But he tried confident and changing gears.
Just to feel MaLong frustration to realize it is not the day but your opponents day.
This is to watch the match. Not to invent theories.
Ma long himself said his handling wasn't able to beat what whao did. He is a honest guy.
I had never seen whao bh flat blocking the way he did it or bh loop with such a low arc. His fh get in was also lot better than before.
This is what happened.

Edited by ejmaster - 05/21/2013 at 7:21pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 7:18pm
My take on the WH-ML semi was that ML was mediocre in the first two games and poor in the third.

Then once the match was lost (barring a miracle) at 0-3, it released the pressure and he finally relaxed and played better.

When he came back to 2-3 and was in contention again, he froze up and totally imploded. That last game was painful to watch. Basically every part of his game disintegrated, including his f/h where he looped two half long serves halfway up the net while stumbling backwards.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 7:41pm

Ma long wasn't pressured. He is having frustration because his game does not end in a winning point.
He is playing his fh and this time wh is able to win the point with flat active bh blocking.
In the meantime wh service placement and fh entering is very good.
The bh to bh rally what is supposedly to be in a 50/50 result is going whs side.
And wh is not failing this time. When his fh gets in he is scoring.
This match reminds the lgl kongl wttc final. Lgl was facing the kl bh and at the same time kl was scoring with his service and 3rd ball fh. Lgl lost with frustration about his more offensive game that time.
At the end Lgl also looked desintegrated.
This was in 1995. Then Lgl won the olympics in 1996 and some years later the wttc.

Edited by ejmaster - 05/21/2013 at 8:10pm
EJ Club.

Danhs1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danhs1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 8:47pm
Why does it have to an either/or thing? It's a fact that WH played great. I've never seen him play that well, maybe it discouraged ML. I do think that even considering WH's play, ML at his normal level wins the match. When he pulled himself together in games 4 and 5 it was obvious, WH was still playing great but it didn't matter. The last game really was painful to watch. If that wasn't choking, what IS choking?? Actually I feel so bad for ML I'll probably be rooting for him next time,  I've been a ZJK fan so far. 
Mike7381 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike7381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 10:33pm
   To be honest, I hate ZJK because of his attitude. I also do not think he is superior than ML and Xu Xin, I think ZJK can beat WH mainly because WH doesn't have a super deadly forehand as Xu Xin. I like all of them except ZJK.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

In Chinese...

Edit: found a much better quality vid from janus, exactly the same version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUg15ECMARE

Is Jagged translating this? Please say yes!
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
xzws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xzws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 12:12am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

ZJK was once thrown out of the CNT because of arrogance

That's most likely not the case. The rumor has it that he was kicked out because of gambling.
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 12:41am
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

That's right. And even against Wang Hao, it is pretty close - 9 wins to 11 losses. Ma Long has dominated ZJK with 5 wins and 2 losses in the ITTF approved Mens Singles events.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 12:48am
Originally posted by xzws xzws wrote:

Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

ZJK was once thrown out of the CNT because of arrogance

That's most likely not the case. The rumor has it that he was kicked out because of gambling.

Take a look at 33:38

Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 12:49am

Yes, Ma Long is a safe bet as long as it's not the Olympics & WTTC

The poor guy hasn't even played in Olympics Singles event ever. At the time of both the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, Ma Longs was one of the top 2 players in World rankings. But since ITTF has this weird rule of selecting players 6 months in advance, he was not left off the squad because 2 (3 in case of 2008 Olympics) other Chinese players that were automatically selected because of their rankings at that earlier time. Since Olympics have strict cutoff of number of players from each country, Ma Long has had to sit out.
snerdly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 1:38am
From the "Lui Guoliang- Psychological Warfare" vid;

"One or two chances is enough. No more is needed.  More opportunities may not be duly seized, and that will lead to problems.
One of my experiences over the years is that the one who wastes opportunities is punished by the destiny."

Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 1:51am
Originally posted by snerdly snerdly wrote:

"One or two chances is enough. No more is needed.  More opportunities may not be duly seized, and that will lead to problems.
One of my experiences over the years is that the one who wastes opportunities is punished by the destiny."

Hmmm ...  How many chances did Ma Lin get? And how many WTTC singles title has he won?
snerdly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 2:02am
How many chances? I didn't keep a count; how many WTTC singles titles doesn't require counting.

Led to problems?
Punished by destiny?
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 2:08am
Originally posted by snerdly snerdly wrote:

How many chances? I didn't keep a count; how many WTTC singles titles doesn't require counting.

Led to problems?
Punished by destiny?

Problems? Punishment? Ma Lin is one of the richest TT players in China. Has an excellent social life and is very likely going to assume an important position within the Chinese Table Tennis Association after his retirement from active competitive play.

Edited by Takadigi - 05/22/2013 at 2:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic