Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the greatest dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

There is this constant myth perpetuating all across the amateur tt community, whereby one can compensate the lack of speed in your gear with good strokes, timing, practice etc etc. Folks, stop parroting back this nonsense and do your own homework for a change.
This is a myth?

I did some homework: what speed blade does this guy use?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--khwB5Uts

Edited by DDreamer - 02/22/2014 at 2:10am
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:11am
Saw Ma Long in a reasnobly tight match last night against as dude with a n allround blade and a common tensor. Wasnt looping slowly either.

Don't give up on improving, I gained 200+ rating points in 12 months after not changing level in 20 years. All I did was add in three hours practice per week which I previously hadn't done. I was only hitting multiball with begginers in those three hours also so half the time was feeding balls

Edited by bluebucket - 02/22/2014 at 2:17am
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:13am
This dilemma has been following most of us for our all TT carrier. I am now 51 and I remember, when I was 13 and I got my first Hans Alser stiga blades with 2 Yasaka Mark V, my coach told me it was way too fast and I should stick to my kenny style with sriver 1.5.
My opinion, after all these years having tried hundreds of different combos, is that training doesn't replace racket's gear.  If it's too slow, it's too slow. No matter if you train weeks and monthes, you will always suffer a lack of speed. That'll force you to exagerate you motions and, therefore, you will loose control which is exactly the opposite goal of your initial idea.
Now, we can discuss about the concept of speed which is clearly different according each player. What is fast for me can be slow for a national team player.
Oddly enough, my tennis elbow helped me to find the right answer to this dilemma (at least for me). I picked up something slightly too fast for me which enables me not to force too much. Keeping my motions controlled, helps me to find the right pace without too much efforts. Result is a paradox. Too fast brings me extra control. Bonus being that I am not in pain anymore.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:17am
Originally posted by 808ponger 808ponger wrote:

Stick with your amultart and always serve long.
nice shot!!!

Some people just get bored with slow setups even if it's best for them; if they decide they don't care about reaching their full potential and choose fast a blade then the only solution is to serve long and finish the point fast; receiving serves will be tricky so a tender topsheet with thick soft sponge on the bh will be necessary to attack all short ones with the bh no mater where they land (zjk style: step in, bh brush all of them).

The only danger with too fast a blade is to look like a Tyrannosaurus Rex using quick short moves with tremendous difficulties to fine tune the strokes while with a slower wood the margin for adjustment will be far greater, the player involving the whole arm and eventually reaching the same speed; only on rare shots will the fast blade prove better but even there a miss happens more often.

Slower blade wins; off-/off is the max speed allowed all the way to a very high level. 

If a super fast blade is a requirement then utter commitment is absolutely necessary; being aggressive and attacking everything becomes the rule; killing the ball asap is the way to go.

Amultart? then I'd try something like Tenergy 05 1.9mm on the fh;  Nimbus Sound MAX on the bh.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:22am
There is a perennial myth propagating in the amateur TT world that one can compensate the lack of skill with faster equipment.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 3:30am
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

just swing faster. 

good advice.
problem is I noticed that when playing a real match against an adversary that pushes me most times I have no time to prepare the next shot with a good powerful swing.
so I end up doing a very small loop or directly just putting the paddle there and doing a flat shot.

probable advice number 2:
so become better so you are faster and you have more time to prepare a better swing.

good advice but this will take me years and I don't even train too much as to improve so probably this will never happen.

Its totally normal to have no time to play your games when playing higher lever opponents or sometimes a faster style that you are used too.

Theres a few things that can help, keeping the ball short and low without pace for example limits the amount of pace he can get on the ball and gives you a longer period between the ball leaving your bat and reaching his. Also between him hitting the ball and you receiving it. Both give you more time to prepare for a stronger shot. Being able to vary your pace with great control can shutdown aggressive players surprising well too.

Improving your footwork helps but its not the only thing involved in having time. In the end the man with the most spare time wins a table tennis match. Its the most important factor in the game. Of course rubbers and blades which are suitable for your skill and touch are helpfull in achieving this spare time
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 6:32am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

There is this constant myth perpetuating all across the amateur tt community, whereby one can compensate the lack of speed in your gear with good strokes, timing, practice etc etc. Folks, stop parroting back this nonsense and do your own homework for a change.
This is a myth?

I did some homework: what speed blade does this guy use?

Edited by the_theologian - 02/22/2014 at 6:37am
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 6:43am
Surely he couldn't be telling the truth! 
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 8:35am
Right, I didn't name any names but it's funny to see some of you coming out of the woodwork with knee-jerk reactions. My guess is, if your rating were to be posted against your comments, a pattern would emerge soon. I know this is a social forum but time to call the BS. For some people here, the total sum of their knowledge is nothing more than the total sum of the posts they've been reading. And you wonder how these myths are propagating…

More to the point, what I'm saying is there is a generally accepted notion amongst the semi-pros and upwards that you can't draw speed out of a slow setup. At least not without sacrificing other aspects of the game. You can't challenge this statement with the odd exception, and I certainly didn't say you can compensate for lack of skill with speed. That's just misinterpretation, not intentional I hope.

@ddreamer Have you personally played with his setup? If not, how do you really know how fast or slow it is?

I'm gonna move on now, before we turn this into a brawl.

Edited by Lestat - 02/22/2014 at 8:41am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 8:59am

... if you have that kind of consistency required to win the point with a slowish blade, you are already good for a faster one. It's a catch 22.

This is not true.  The first question to ask is always how does one intend to play?  Another is how does one win points?  Consistency and control/placement are parts of the equation, as are speed and spin.  An observer can tell you whether he thinks speed/power is your issue, but it is quite possible to win just by being extremely consistent.  The drop in consistency from more power may be worth it, but it may not be.

The real issue is this - if you can stop worrying about whether you will make the shot, don't go to the faster blade immediately - first of all, use that consistency to analyze the table more and put the ball in places that will make your opponent feel the pain. If you think you are consistent, but you can't misdirect or place the ball in uncomfortable places consistently, you are not as consistent as you think you are.  There is nothing wrong with the alternative approach of overpowering your opponent.  But it is just an alternative.

Quote There is this constant myth perpetuating all across the amateur tt community, whereby one can compensate the lack of speed in your gear with good strokes, timing, practice etc etc. Folks, stop parroting back this nonsense and do your own homework for a change.

So you are saying that one cannot use an allround blade and play an offensive game with improved strokes and timing?  So why do I do this? Again, the first question should always be how do you intend to play the game - maybe I want just enough offense (topspin and hitting) to be able to trouble an opponent, but if forced to play my B game (blocking) or my C game (pushing and blocking), I want the control.  Speed is always a critical part of the equation, but it is not the only one.

The person who hits the ball hardest in my club uses a Yasaka Extra.  Go figure.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 9:03am
Amateurs play for fun! I think instead of picking which blade to play with, you should pick the style you want to play and develop into! and depending on the style you may want to pick the equipment based on that decision!

So if you want to develop into a power looper then why not the amultart?
If you enjoy a more all around game then pick the off- blade!

For me, part of the enjoyment is figuring a strategy to maximize your strength and minimize your weakness!

729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 9:11am

Right, I didn't name any names but it's funny to see some of you coming out of the woodwork with knee-jerk reactions. My guess is, if your rating were to be posted against your comments, a pattern would emerge soon. I know this is a social forum but time to call the BS. For some people here, the total sum of their knowledge is nothing more than the total sum of the posts they've been reading. And you wonder how these myths are propagating…

More to the point, what I'm saying is there is a generally accepted notion amongst the semi-pros and upwards that you can't draw speed out of a slow setup. At least not without sacrificing other aspects of the game. You can't challenge this statement with the odd exception, and I certainly didn't say you can compensate for lack of skill with speed. That's just misinterpretation, not intentional I hope.

@ddreamer Have you personally played with his setup? If not, how do you really know how fast or slow it is?

DDreamer actually posted video of himself hitting with an ALL/ALL+ blade and soft modern rubbers.  He plays at an estimated 2300 level so I am not sure why you don't post your rating next to your comments.

The point is not that you can draw "speed" out a slow setup, but that what many players look for in fast setups is paradoxically misguided because the speed they are looking for comes with a lack of consistency and forces them to restrain their strokes.  They could gain similar speed with a slower setup which is more forgiving and makes them more consistent even on hard shots, so they don't have to restrain their strokes.  That way, they gain the speed they desire while using slower equipment.
Cybershape Carbon
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 10:05am

Right, I didn't name any names but it's funny to see some of you coming out of the woodwork with knee-jerk reactions. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">My guess is, if your rating were to be posted against your comments, a pattern would emerge soon. I know this is a social forum but time to call the BS. For some people here, the total sum of their knowledge is </span>nothing more than the total sum of the posts they've been reading. And you wonder how these myths are propagating…

@ddreamer <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Have you personally played with his setup? If not, how do you really know how fast or slow it is?</span>

I've used ALL/ALL+ blades since the 70s and have never had a problem with power. I'm getting a bit old now but an ex-local A grade player who moved to NYC tells me I was around US2450 when he used to play me. I'm happy post clips of me playing to back up what I'm saying. Lestat I'm sure you will do the same. Here at least is proof that I have actually played with an ALL blade.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwv72ntNlO4

Here is a clip of me looping with an ALL+ ish blade:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aApIGgRh_QM

The other thing to consider is that in sub-elite TT (which I am confident includes puppy) it's not like you have to hit hard enough to hit through Samsonov. At such levels (for arguments sake, let us say loosely 2200 and below) it is rare that players don't win because they can't hit hard enough. Rather they usually lose because they can't get the ball on the table enough. And of those that can't hit powerfully it is invariably due to dodgy technique and as such their power issues would not be solved with faster equipment. In 40 years of playing I can't ever remember thinking a player couldn't hit fast enough because their equipment was too slow.

I'm looking forward to seeing a clip of Lestat.

Edited by DDreamer - 02/22/2014 at 5:06pm
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 11:46am

Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

I suggest that you make up your mind by not considering the pros and cons of your equipment and just start practicing. Sooner than later you would find yourself doing what you want to do. Blaming ones flaw on equipment is a never ending topic.

ok I will follow your advice, I will start practicing.
just one small detail, which of the two blades do I use for my practice?

The one with the least adjustment needed. :) Personally I'll go with the blade I could attack well with. Simply because it gives me more cardio exercise. you on the other hand may have a different reason why you play table tennis. :)
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 11:55am
I am not against slow blades at all.
they make your life much much easier in some shots.
these are serve, pushing, looping, chopping.

the dark side of slow setups is that when playing passive shots the ball tends to stay pretty short on the other side with poor speed.
this helps your opponent get closer to the table which makes it easier for his following attacks to be more deadly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
also regarding this idea that you see a lot of high players use slow setups I would like to propose a new theory which goes:
***the higher your ranking, the slower thou setup shall be***

this is because when you have high skills most of your shots will be loops or counterloops or counterdrives.
as I said above these are better using slow setups.
but you don't get to this level by playing a couple of times a week in the hood club.
you get to this level by training like an athlete.
how many chinese national players have you seen using off+ blades?
zero.
because for their game (looping, counter looping, aggressive hitting, etc) it's better to have slow setup.
but I haven't seen any sub US2600 player play like the guys in the chinese team.

intermediate amateur players could benefit from super fast setup because
1- their shots will be longer and opponent won't win the table so easily.
2- the skills they gain will be much better than the skills of any guy who uses off-.
then when he decides to go to off- he will find himself better than all the guys who used off- for ages.

I remember reading here of a guy who gave schlager carbon to starting players.
I propose giving this coach a medal.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/22/2014 at 12:02pm
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:01pm
I dont mean to be rude puppy but thats very weird and contrived reasoning. For one thing do u really think u need fast equipment to hit a ping pong ball deep onto a table?

Edited by DDreamer - 02/22/2014 at 12:04pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:07pm
Great theories... The first questions should always be how do you actually win points and how do you want to win points. Theories about the advantages and disadvantages of a blade speed or rubber are useless without serious answers to these questions.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:09pm

I dont mean to be rude puppy but thats very weird and contrived reasoning. For one thing do u really think u need fast equipment to hit a ping pong ball deep onto a table?

You really should be rude. He posts a lot of nonsense and when called on it tends to make fun of whoever is calling him out
Cybershape Carbon
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:20pm

This isn't a myth. All normal inverted paddles can hit the ball with the same impulse.  It just takes a different stroke or paddle speed to get the same result.  A faster paddle WILL allow one to hit faster with the same paddle speed but more often it is the spin/speed ratio that is most important because one can't hit fast and flat unless one has a line-of-sight shot to the other side of the table.  If you hit too fast the arc will be too flat.  What you want is the perfect spin/speed ratio for your swing or modify your swing for a paddle with a high spin to speed ratio.

The fastest blade I have is my TBS but I don't use it much.  I have a BCX5 but I slow it down with H3#19.  Since I play close to the table it is more than fast enough.  I can blast balls by my coach with a Toni Hold White Spot and Gambler Wraith.  Speed without spin is not that useful.  If you think speed is everything get a Joola R1.  That is insane.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 12:26pm
Great points, tt4me. The argument for using a slower blade with Euro rubbers is not that different from some of the arguments some make for using Chinese rubbers on the forehand.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:06pm
There is more than one way to skin a cat.  But for a lot of players, it is possible for setups to be too slow and it is possible for them to be too fast.  Slower equipment requires that you basically swing harder on any offensive shot and that works fine, but it also means that any defects in footwork or balance are magnified.  Faster equipment can help with that issue but then the margin for error is reduced in other ways, especially on any shots that require touch (serve, service return, short push, etc.).  Within the extremes there is a wide range of blade/rubber combinations that are reasonable, as with Next Level's last comment.  Different plays vary in age, mobility, distance from table, intrinsic soundness of strokes, how high they take the ball, favored tactics, so many things.  A player can really hurt himself by using some setup far from optimum, but making constant small changes  that mainly entail changing from one thing to another in the same class really doesn't help either since you never get accustomed to anything.   
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:12pm

problem is I noticed that when playing a real match against an adversary that pushes me most times I have no time to prepare the next shot with a good powerful swing.
so I end up doing a very small loop or directly just putting the paddle there and doing a flat shot.

Some players are just better and that is one of the ways they show it.  It is just the way it is.  In the words of the father of the Kung Fu Panda (who is actually a duck), there is no secret ingredient.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

I'm not a beginner, been playing somewhere from 5 to 10 years.
that's why I say doing a couple of drills per week won't do it for me.
What you need is a coach who can analyze your weaknesses and help you eliminate them.  Or, record yourself playing and ask for advice on the forums.  Doing drills is just part of the equation.

If you know what your weaknesses are, then just do drills that focus on eliminating them.

ok I see 99% of members focus on the "do drills" thing.
let's say I agree I will do huge amount of drills.
I need to do these drills with a paddle.

so we go back to the original question which started the thread.

do I choose amultart which is great for everything but pushing and serving?
or do I choose off- which is great for serving and pushing but mediocre for everything else?
Answer is easy: Choose the Amultart - and practice serving and pushing with it - so you can have all the shots. I'm sure there are players who use Amultart with great pushes and Serves - it's not the blade it's your ability to use it properly.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:27pm
Baal, agreed. The problem is when people like Lestat or assiduous insult people for reasonable opinions they don't agree with. Someone I don't remember now put or best when he said that some people UAE slower blades to compensate for control/touch and faster blades to compensate for power. As Ddreamer pointed out, lack of power at the 2400 level has very little in common with lack of power under 2000. Consistency against various spins is visually the bigger issue.
Cybershape Carbon
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 1:48pm
just to be clear for all reading this, I never had power problems with my attack.
but it's complete fantasy to think that you'll attack shot after shot after shot.
reality is more like a random mixture of:

-push
-block
-pass ball how you can
-loop

just to give you an example, look at gao ning, playing now vs xu xin.
the guy doesn't attack every shot, he'll loop every now and then but also blocks a lot from a good distance to table.
imagine him trying to do this with an off- with untuned rubber.
ball would go short, xu xin comes closer to table, less chance to block next shot by gao ning (xu xin closer = less time to react to his loops)

Edited by puppy412 - 02/22/2014 at 2:26pm
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:42pm

I'm looking forward to seeing a clip of Lestat.

If you think you're gonna expose me, you've got another thing coming buddy. Another big training camp programmed for next month so I may very well post a clip. What bothers me is certain viewpoints hijack the threads to a extent where it becomes forum gospel.   

I don't know what puppy's level is, but I presented him with both sides of the argument. I didn't just assume he's not good enough, that's for him to decide. But most importantly, this is a public forum and if I'm going to post something, there will be other people reading it. Some will be more serious about pursuing the game and at various stages in their development, and my answer will make sense to them. As for others, it will go above their heads or simply won't agree. The reality is, for the op to get any sort of meaningful answer he has to have a common denominator with us - good basic technique. Without that any advice is not going to help much. For my part, I let the op to decide where he stands.

I'll say this again, to retain maximum amount of control and authority in your shots, you will use 60-75% strength for your 'bread and butter topspin' on a decent OFF setup (combine blade/rubber as you see fit). Short game and serve return can be learned if you have a good feel for the ball. It may be true that a lot of club players haven't made it past that stage - in which case they'd have to start with slower gear, but that isn't everybody.

I agree some may skin this cat differently but that's due to particulars and should not be presented as blanket advice. In my dealings with tt coaches I have yet to see a junior being advised to keep with a slower blade, because of increased 'control'. And I really don't see a huge difference from a junior and a dedicated, passioned older player. It might take him longer to acquire skill, but the 'coaching' should be no different.

Edited by Lestat - 02/22/2014 at 2:43pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:51pm

I am not against slow blades at all.
they make your life much much easier in some shots.
these are serve, pushing, looping, chopping.

the dark side of slow setups is that when playing passive shots the ball tends to stay pretty short on the other side with poor speed.
this helps your opponent get closer to the table which makes it easier for his following attacks to be more deadly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
also regarding this idea that you see a lot of high players use slow setups I would like to propose a new theory which goes:
***the higher your ranking, the slower thou setup shall be***

this is because when you have high skills most of your shots will be loops or counterloops or counterdrives.
as I said above these are better using slow setups.
but you don't get to this level by playing a couple of times a week in the hood club.
you get to this level by training like an athlete.
how many chinese national players have you seen using off+ blades?
zero.
because for their game (looping, counter looping, aggressive hitting, etc) it's better to have slow setup.
but I haven't seen any sub US2600 player play like the guys in the chinese team.

intermediate amateur players could benefit from super fast setup because
1- their shots will be longer and opponent won't win the table so easily.
2- the skills they gain will be much better than the skills of any guy who uses off-.
then when he decides to go to off- he will find himself better than all the guys who used off- for ages.

I remember reading here of a guy who gave schlager carbon to starting players.
I propose giving this coach a medal.

actually sorry for what I said above, I was just wrong.
truth is the better you become, the faster you will want your paddle to be.
just look at these guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67M-muLdTAg
they could never play slow equipment.

I guess this drives me to one conclusion:
I'm getting better.

this is why I see more advantages in amultart than in off-

Edited by puppy412 - 02/22/2014 at 2:53pm
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 2:58pm
Also, control of a faster blade comes in increments. At first, you can't keep a loop on the table to save your life, and your blocks go over the table. Then, you find you're able to block and loop but you still lose control when you're being 'crowded', some blocks go out, you return too high and long on float/topspin serve. That's where I draw my line. You are pretty much ready for a fast blade, providing that you train for the rest.

When I say fast, I don't mean boll tricarbon.I mean controlled-fast, which an OFF setup can very well be. Any TBS, ALC, Viscaria, Innerforce ZLC etc etc etc would do as long as the total sum including rubber is OFFish.

Edited by Lestat - 02/22/2014 at 3:01pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 3:21pm
I really never felt amultart had poor control in looping or blocking.
actually when I realized i could win many points just by standing there and blocking whatever came to me I was using amultart.
the difference is felt more in touch shots, pushing, serving, all that.
but in open game I'd say it's pretty even with off-
from the players I played personally I've seen all.
some using off- some using off+
the general tendency is that people start with say primorac or similar in terms of speed and then move up.
some will go all the way to gergely and similar.
some others will just stop in alc style blades.
but I haven't seen many players go from off+ to off- or all+
the ones I have were mostly ejs influenced by mytt LOL

I have the theory that top pros use only off blades because they boost.
if they were not boosting they would all use off+ blades.

Edited by puppy412 - 02/22/2014 at 3:46pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2014 at 4:42pm
Lestat, can you tell the difference between presenting and denigrating a point of view?
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic