FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topspin balls cannot be attacked?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topspin balls cannot be attacked?
    Posted: 04/13/2014 at 11:15pm
Is it true a top spin ball cannot be attacked? Heard a high level coach explaining once a ball is spun up it cannot be attacked. He said people will block it, they might counter loop it but they won't be able to attack it.

I find this hard to believe.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 11:26pm
What do you mean by attack? isn't counter loop an attack?

Pros seems to punch and counter loop heavy topspins all the time...

Edited by JohnnyChop - 04/13/2014 at 11:27pm
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 11:41pm
It may be a matter of semantics in dealing with the word "attack".  

If I can generate a ball with heavy spin and good speed it most likely will require the opponent to close his racket face in order to keep his return on the table.  If he is closing his racket then he is not able to generate the same kind of forward speed as if he could hit the ball in a flatter manner (kill or loop-kill).   If you consider an "attack" as a ball hit with maximum speed, then a counter-loop would not be an attack in comparison to a kill or loop-kill which generally have more speed than a counter-loop.  

A good counter-loop can be a winning shot, but some would not consider it as a true "attack" like they would a 3rd ball loop-kill off of a weak return or a 4th ball kill off of a weak block of a good opening.

At my level I still have a lot of counter-loops go right by or through me.  I like to think of those as really good attacks by my opponent rather than errors on shots I should have returned.  At least that makes me feel better about my game.  I am sure higher level players would consider them to be errors on my part instead of winners by my opponent.

Mark

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 11:54pm
I think you can attack a topspin ball with short, medium or long pips.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:00am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

At my level I still have a lot of counter-loops go right by or through me.  I like to think of those as really good attacks by my opponent rather than errors on shots I should have returned.  At least that makes me feel better about my game.  I am sure higher level players would consider them to be errors on my part instead of winners by my opponent.

Not so much errors, but I think a good part of being rated over USATT 2000 consistently is having a decent antidote to the loop.  Below that, the first loop off a push or opening receive wins the point.  Above that, a good push or flick on service recieve tends to make it harder to get a killer loop, so the opening is of medium strength and permits a rally to begin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:01am
I am not sure what is meant by an attack. The coach is high level coach - so I am thinking he's taking about a different level player than an intermediate. 

Perhaps as mjamja posted - a counter loop might not or should not end the point. Again, I guess it's dependant on the level of the players involved.
Butterfly MPS
ByeByeAbout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:11am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Is it true a top spin ball cannot be attacked? Heard a high level coach explaining once a ball is spun up it cannot be attacked. He said people will block it, they might counter loop it but they won't be able to attack it.

hi jr

either you misunderstood him or he is not high level.   if he did say it.. .it's a ridiculous thing to say.

do not give this man any money

regards
rick
mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:17am
Topspin ball can be countered by having the right timing to hit it. Even intermediate players do know how to counter topspin balls. Having the right timing, hitting it when its a bit low in mid distance so the spin would wear off a bit then you could counter it, not like counter it while coming off bounce. Simple logic could help answer this.
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)
FH:    Andro Rasant Powergrip
BH:   Andro Rasant Grip

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:23am
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

hi jr
either you misunderstood him or he is not high level.   if he did say it.. .it's a ridiculous thing to say.
do not give this man any money
regards
rick
No, he is quite sure about this - "if you spin up the ball - it cannot be attacked!"
Since he does have a lot more experience and knowledge than I have, figured it's best to try and understand what's involved here.
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:28am
Why can't you just ask him what he meant?  Maybe he meant "are hard to attack" and you didn't translate perfectly.
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:43am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Why can't you just ask him what he meant?  Maybe he meant "are hard to attack" and you didn't translate perfectly.
It was a situation where bunch of other high level players were all involved in the discussion. I didn't want to jump in there and break up their conversation.

I believe someone in the group questioned him on this point and he asked if I spin the ball up to you, what is your first reaction - block or counter it right? 

At this point - I was thinking - I would take a swing at it - but this might not be the right thing to do. 
Butterfly MPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:52am

It was a situation where bunch of other high level players were all involved in the discussion. I didn't want to jump in there and break up their conversation.

I believe someone in the group questioned him on this point and he asked if I spin the ball up to you, what is your first reaction - block or counter it right? 

At this point - I was thinking - I would take a swing at it - but this might not be the right thing to do. 

jr

the only shot that is not attackable is a serve so short that you have to push it.  end of story.

Clap

regards
rick

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:08am
Im with Byebye, at times it may be the easiest shot to smack back, as long as the timing is right
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:10am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Im with Byebye, at times it may be the easiest shot to smack back, as long as the timing is right

ez for you to say...you're a smack man

regards
rick

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:22am
Let me understand this = byebye is saying bye bye to spun up ball...and smackman is saying smack that?
takethat told me to hit the spin out it. 

Butterfly MPS
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:27am

No, he is quite sure about this - "if you spin up the ball - it cannot be attacked!"
Too bad Kim Ki Taek and Chen Longcan didn´t know this fact...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:37am

Let me understand this = byebye is saying bye bye to spun up ball...and smackman is saying smack that?
takethat told me to hit the spin out it. 

jr

i like a milked threads as much as the next dairy farmer but im afraid there is not much to say...rule of thumb is that you combat spin with spin....if you're using some lame covering like pips or lp or anti because you have no athletic ability, are faking an injury (as evidenced by recent video testimony) or because you like to cheat...then block it and try not to look at yourself in the mirror before you go to bed because candyman may go south sided chicago back hand up side your head....

but if you want to man up and play the game the way it's supposed to be played... you will return the ball the same way it was received....

watch timo trade with mitri to see how its really done.

regards
rick

Edited by ByeByeAbout - 04/14/2014 at 1:45am
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 5:29am
The great masters of the past, such as Kim Ki Taek, Mitsuru Kohno, Jiang Jialiang and Chen Longcan, just loved smashing topspin balls.
Smashing topspin requires tremendous skills. It's much more difficult than spinning the ball. That's why few players do it nowadays. Most people prefer the easier way.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 04/14/2014 at 5:54am
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 7:29am
He doesn't count counterloop as 'attack'? Maybe his english wasn't great.

In any case, a slow spinny loop that bounces low and short just over the net is very difficult if not impossible to attack. It's equally difficult to loop short, but it happens sometimes.

jrscatman, I would disregard that comment. Sometimes people talk $hit, high level players or not.

Edited by Lestat - 04/14/2014 at 7:42am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 11:29am
Actually, I am thinking his statement might have merit. As ChichoFicho said - it might be possible to attack but it's a very difficult low percentage shot as opposed to blocking or counter looping. 
I'll start paying more attention to this perhaps some of the easy shots I'm missing might be trying to hit loops - when I should be counter looping or blocking.
Butterfly MPS
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 3:35pm
JR...his statement doesn't have merit. Of course you can attack a topspin ball. There was probably some problem with translation. You can play a topspin ball defensively with either a block or a chop, or you can hit it or counter-loop it...end of story. I often hit my opponents loops, but it's difficult to do. Also when you see someone counter-looping and maybe ripping a ball past their opponent then I would call that attacking.  Anyway I'm with byebye...this is enough comments about whether or not you can attack a ball if it's spun up at you. Maybe he just couldn't put what he really wanted to say into words very well.

As far as byebye making a comment about "lame covering like pips because you have no athletic ability or because you like to cheat...cheat and that you should man up and play the game the way it was meant to be"...I hope he's just kidding, but probably not as many players seem to feel that way about anything other than smooth rubber. I also never knew there was a written way for how the game should be played. I thought the main thing was to keep the freaking ball on the table. I can see why some people think LPs is kind of cheating as you're really relying heavily on the disturbing properties of your rubber to win the point, but SPs are not really doing that. Playing with SPs takes a lot of athletic ability. Not everyone is great at looping and counter-looping. I've always been a good athlete but I didn't get coaching at an early age and never learned properly how to counter-loop. Anyway I've already said enough and it's such a ridiculous statement I probably shouldn't respond, but when I read comments like that I thought I would anyway. Maybe he's just like my son who sometimes says things that he know will get a rise out of me.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

JR...his statement doesn't have merit. Of course you can attack a topspin ball. There was probably some problem with translation. You can play a topspin ball defensively with either a block or a chop, or you can hit it or counter-loop it...end of story. I often hit my opponents loops, but it's difficult to do. Also when you see someone counter-looping and maybe ripping a ball past their opponent then I would call that attacking.  Anyway I'm with byebye...this is enough comments about whether or not you can attack a ball if it's spun up at you. Maybe he just couldn't put what he really wanted to say into words very well.

As far as byebye making a comment about "lame covering like pips because you have no athletic ability or because you like to cheat...cheat and that you should man up and play the game the way it was meant to be"...I hope he's just kidding, but probably not as many players seem to feel that way about anything other than smooth rubber. I also never knew there was a written way for how the game should be played. I thought the main thing was to keep the freaking ball on the table. I can see why some people think LPs is kind of cheating as you're really relying heavily on the disturbing properties of your rubber to win the point, but SPs are not really doing that. Playing with SPs takes a lot of athletic ability. Not everyone is great at looping and counter-looping. I've always been a good athlete but I didn't get coaching at an early age and never learned properly how to counter-loop. Anyway I've already said enough and it's such a ridiculous statement I probably shouldn't respond, but when I read comments like that I thought I would anyway. Maybe he's just like my son who sometimes says things that he know will get a rise out of me.

if i were running the ittf....i would personally ban all pips, lps and anti faster than an off topic thread about pretty girls gets closed down for....whats the word?    oh ya...for being "inappropriate"...LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

rotflmCensoredao.

regards
rick
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 8:11pm
I agree about an error in translation or understanding. There must be some other nuance that did not come though.

XX multiball training attack vs heavy topspin.

Is there a new format to embed video?

Edited by V-Griper - 04/14/2014 at 8:18pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

if i were running the ittf....i would personally ban all pips, lps and anti faster than an off topic thread about pretty girls gets closed down for....whats the word?    oh ya...for being "inappropriate"...LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

rotflmCensoredao.

regards
rick

Myself, I don't have any use (for main weapon as match play) for SP, MP, LP, or anti. I seriously doubt I will be a serious player using any of those "coverings".

I think it is fine as Cherry Pie and Cappuccino to think or say (publically or privately) one's opinion of these surfaces. Forums are great places for it and such chat makes the popcorn taste better. Adds diversity as well. Forums would really suck if we all thought  the same and were not jokers at heart.

OTH, these surfaces are still legal and I must face them, so I sometimes train using one to better learn how to play vs a player wielding one of these. Another good point is two of the coaches I have learned from the most in TT are LP choppers. Their work with me has produced results that I must respect. These surfaces and the people operating them add diversity. Besides, what the F would the TT world and forums do if CWX and hiz LULZ were not around?
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 10:09am
With regard to the silly comment two posts above, it is usually the ping pong beginners that want the pips banned. The different coverings make the game too complicated for some people.  Then again, there are other sports where they can shine, for example checkers.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 04/15/2014 at 10:10am
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByeByeAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 10:18am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

With regard to the silly comment two posts above, it is usually the ping pong beginners that want the pips banned. The different coverings make the game too complicated for some people.  Then again, there are other sports where they can shine, for example checkers.

cheeko

generally speaking you are correct but not in this case.    as an expert i dont have much difficulty with these cheating surfaces but that doesn't mean i give them my nod of approval.  never have ...never will as they tend to be an unwelcome interruption to an otherwise enjoyable event.  it's hard to have respect for anyone who want's to defer to the abnormalities of a surface instead of put in the time necessary to play a pure and proper game...

as for checkers i don't have time to play....i'm too busy maintaining my title of worlds best all around athlete....you know...where i perform more sports to a higher degree than any person alive.....oh ya..that.

that would be a "cho"..Clap

regards
rick
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 10:55am
I was able to talk to one of the high level players involved in the conversation with the coach. He said the coach was specifically talking about service returns and openings. I am trying to quote exactly as best as I can.
Apparently if a serve is long or high enough to loop - he saying - soft spinny loop low on the table will not be attacked. It would be countered or blocked. Apparently Wang Zhen does this often. I'll try and find a video of this with Wang Zhen.

On a side note - I tried this strategy and it does work. I hit and loop without thinking, last night I made sure I was looping more than hitting and I was getting a lot free points, my opponents tried to hit and usually went long. 
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 11:01am

I was able to talk to one of the high level players involved in the conversation with the coach. He said the coach was specifically talking about service returns and openings. I am trying to quote exactly as best as I can.
Apparently if a serve is long or high enough to loop - he saying - soft spinny loop low on the table will not be attacked. It would be countered or blocked. Apparently Wang Zhen does this often. I'll try and find a video of this with Wang Zhen.

On a side note - I tried this strategy and it does work. I hit and loop without thinking, last night I made sure I was looping more than hitting and I was getting a lot free points, my opponents tried to hit and usually went long. 
Some counters can be more devastating than he gives credit for, but in general, this is more true at lower levels.  Counterlooping an opening loop is a skill that puts you well over USATT 2000 if you can consistently do it.  Counterlooping a quality opening loop is 2200 at least (as opposed to blocking it to buy time to enter a rally).

My coach always mocks us when we loop our third ball off the table.  Most people just block so why are you hitting the ball so hard when the next ball will be easier? Now if he counters you hard, before you start looping harder, move the ball around.  If you can't find a safe spot, then you can try to loop a bit harder.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/15/2014 at 11:02am
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 11:07am

Some counters can be more devastating than he gives credit for, but in general, this is more true at lower levels.  Counterlooping an opening loop is a skill that puts you well over USATT 2000 if you can consistently do it.  Counterlooping a quality opening loop is 2200 at least (as opposed to blocking it to buy time to enter a rally).

My coach always mocks us when we loop our third ball off the table.  Most people just block so why are you hitting the ball so hard when the next ball will be easier? Now if he counters you hard, before you start looping harder, move the ball around.  If you can't find a safe spot, then you can try to loop a bit harder.
I guess what was confusing me is the concept of opening loop and how it's different from any other loops. In general I try to rip everything I can given the chance. The idea of the soft loop not being killed is a new concept for me.
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 11:25am
The opening loop is usually against backspin and therefore has heavy topspin.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic