Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Loop-kill against block

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 3:33am
First of all, loop with a nearly open racket angle. That is the rule. I don't care if anybody told you otherwise, but if you want to make a quality loop, you need to open that blade. Doesn't matter if it's topspin or backspin. There is not much difference between looping against backspin or topspin, except you have less time to prepare yourself to loop topspin. If you need power, you have to shift your weight and rotate your body. What's important is that you need to do that with a lot of acceleration at the moment of contact. Many people do it, but do it with too little acceleration. If you're doing it correctly, but still cannot generate enough power, then you need to go to the gym. If you can't get enough spin when you power loop, I think you might be gripping your racket too loosely during contact with the ball. Remember, one of the most common mistakes is that people tend to want to brush more to generate more spin, and they do so by trying to use more wrist. When they do that, they lose their firm grip on the ball, which results in poor spin, poor power, and low accuracy due to not being able to "eat" the ball during time of contact. You need to grip firmly, and accelerate well during contact with the ball to loop kill.

Sorry for being direct btw
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

There is not much difference between looping against backspin or topspin, except you have less time to prepare yourself to loop topspin. 

Honestly, I don't like to get too confrontational these days, but WOW how wrong can you be?

The Older I get, The better I was.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 4:52pm
APW46,

Thanks for the reply.  I was beginning to wonder if I was taking the entirely wrong approach to looping in general.

If you could, I would appreciate your thoughts on my "Loop-kill v block (followup)" thread where I discuss testing out some of the ideas that I got in this thread.

Mark
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 5:11pm
Well, there is a huge difference between looping against Topspin to backspin, so what qualifies you to say otherwise?
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 5:48pm
These racket angle debates can get pretty intense, almost to the same degree as the illegal serve and talent debates. I'll get the popcorn.
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2015 at 6:46pm
ML fan should just post a video and resolve this using evidence not arguments.

I actually tell.people to always loop with a closed baffle and to only change the stroke trajectory. Potatoe ... Potato..
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 12:10am
Maybe you should do the same NextLevel. I'm not gonna argue lol I don't care if you disagree with what I've written. 

If people try out what I've written and think it's good, then good for them. If people try out what I've written and think it's bad, then there's plenty of other advice in the forums. 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 12:59am
NextLevel,

For your information MLfan made a clarification of what he was suggesting in the "Loop-kill v block (followup) " thread.  He said that he was talking about using a "more open" racket for the loop-kill than for the brush loop.  He suggested slightly closed at 70-80 deg.

He also had some additional comments if you are interested.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 1:49am
Yes, I did read it, Mark.  If I understand him (and I may not), that technique requires you to swing hard enough to hit the ball to stop the incoming rotation before imparting yours.   IMO, it is more of a hitting technique than a looping technique.  Good luck with it, but for what I do and my physical gifts, it is not a way that I can consistently play, though it does work pretty well close to the table.

You can see Mizutani doing it here:

Edited by NextLevel - 11/29/2015 at 1:57am
Cybershape Carbon
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 4:25am
@NextLevel: I don't know what you mean by stopping the incoming rotation before imparting mine. Don't you technically have to do that if the incoming ball is topspin? What I've described is looping and not at all hitting...

@mjamja: I'm not sure if you noticed, but I use Neo H3 for my forehand, so everything I tell you is specifically for Neo H3. The whole point of having a relatively open racket angle at contact, ie. 70-80 degrees, is to maximize the surface area of contact between the rubber and the ball when you contact the ball. And the purpose of maximizing surface area is so that you can "eat" or grip the ball more easily. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 7:38am

@NextLevel: I don't know what you mean by stopping the incoming rotation before imparting mine. Don't you technically have to do that if the incoming ball is topspin? What I've described is looping and not at all hitting...

@mjamja: I'm not sure if you noticed, but I use Neo H3 for my forehand, so everything I tell you is specifically for Neo H3. The whole point of having a relatively open racket angle at contact, ie. 70-80 degrees, is to maximize the surface area of contact between the rubber and the ball when you contact the ball. And the purpose of maximizing surface area is so that you can "eat" or grip the ball more easily. 

One method does it primarily with racket angle and doesng kill the spin, but just tries to stop it, the other does it primarily with contact depth and tries to kill it. I posted the videos so you can see the difference between how Mizutani contacts the ball vs. Boll. I am more of a spin based player with tactical spin (not speed) as my focus.     
Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 11:16am
Interesting conversation.

When I loop against block on the BH, my racket angle looks extremely closed, sort of like Henzells. But in that case the ball is on the rise and coming up into the racket. But my FH loop done at the top of the bounce looks more like mitzutanis and less like Bolls. More open.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/29/2015 at 11:17am
Timo Boll Spirit
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 11:47am
I don't know how you kill with a closed racket. You waste too much of  your energy generating spin. It sounds good until you think that energy is zero sum which means that every increment of spin reduced your speed. I don't care that im 1700, i will argue this with a world champion. 
Maybe using all your power with closed paddle is the right thing to do, because you reduce your probability for error and if you are strong enough  you can have enough speed even if you wasted a lot of energy on spin.
None of those videos were of loopkill. The perfect example in my mind is Yan An. He loopkills almost every lose ball.
If we are talking about loopkill and not loop as APW appears to mean, i tend to agree with MLfan: it doesn't matter that much if you loopkill underspin or overspin. The same when when you smack kill the high balls it doesn't matter what spin they have if you can smack them good. 
My personal problem is that this loopkill is a risky affair. When it goes in it is spectacular looking shot and i feel dominating, but I also lose too many points in position where my opponent is in a weak position and i should have a 95% chance of winning the point.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 12:29pm
Some people talk about backspin and topspin like they are a regulation RPM, bat angle depends on amount of spin, height, distance from the net. any player is foolish to attempt a 'loop kill' against a deep pushed heavily backspun ball on a crucial point with anything other than a ton of glue and an open bat face.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 5:41pm
It really depends on your position. As I've said, there are only two types of loops: a slow spinny topspin, and the fast spinny topspin. 

So what if the ball is pushed deep? Move your legs and take a step back lol.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 5:49pm

It really depends on your position. As I've said, there are only two types of loops: a slow spinny topspin, and the fast spinny topspin. 

And what would you choose to do at match point lol, when taking into account that one is more risky than the other. In my game there are plenty of variations between your 'only two'
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 6:28pm

Oh, so I think I'm starting to understand what you mean a little better. So with the fast spinny topspin, you'd have more forwards movement with an open racket angle, hitting the ball further in front of your body (probably before or at the peak of its height) compared to the slow spinny topspin, where you'd brush up the ball more from closer to your body (probably after the ball passes its peak height)?
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 7:13pm
NextLevel,

Thanks to the link to those videos.  Those are great viewing angles and the slow motion is really good.  I am going to study them thoroughly and try to get some video of myself from the same angle for comparison. 

One great thing is that racket lacks edge tape.  That creates a white blur line showing the blade angle when you look at a single frame.  I think I am noticing some interesting things when I look at stopped frame just before contact.  I will spend more time with them and write some more.

Mark
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

And what would you choose to do at match point lol, when taking into account that one is more risky than the other. In my game there are plenty of variations between your 'only two'

Just youtube Li Xiaodong's lectures...if you're in position, do the fast loop; if you're not in position, do the slow loop. End of discussion lol why would you do, for instance a slow loop, when you can do a fast loop? What are these "variations" ?

I would obviously still do the fast loop at match point if I were in position. It makes no sense to get in position, then do a slow loop, because the opponent can block it back more easily...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 6:00am

Just youtube Li Xiaodong's lectures...if you're in position, do the fast loop; if you're not in position, do the slow loop. End of discussion lol why would you do, for instance a slow loop, when you can do a fast loop? What are these "variations" ?

I would obviously still do the fast loop at match point if I were in position. It makes no sense to get in position, then do a slow loop, because the opponent can block it back more easily...

It depends on the quality of the shot played by your opponent, what you should do, and what you can do without the risk of missing and giving an easy point away are two different things.
'what are these variations' next time you play a quality player, and block in the net, ask yourself if it was your mistake or his deception.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 8:31am

It depends on the quality of the shot played by your opponent, what you should do, and what you can do without the risk of missing and giving an easy point away are two different things.
'what are these variations' next time you play a quality player, and block in the net, ask yourself if it was your mistake or his deception.

Um, if you block a ball into the net, it can be either your mistake or your opponent's deception. I'm asking you what your variations are. I train with Jia A and Jia B players in china so don't say i don't play with quality players. 
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 10:00am

Um, if you block a ball into the net, it can be either your mistake or your opponent's deception. I'm asking you what your variations are. I train with Jia A and Jia B players in china so don't say i don't play with quality players. 

Slight Highjack... but..

Thats a pretty good standard to hit with Smile. Any chance of any Video of the players playing or drilling?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Slight Highjack... but..

Thats a pretty good standard to hit with Smile. Any chance of any Video of the players playing or drilling?
 No need, he gives himself away.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 2:57pm

My variations are that I constantly vary the spin when looping, if the spin is always the same its easy to block for your opponent once he has found the common angle. Of course, I don't play world class players in every match I play ( although I've played a few in competition) But at my level, which is good enough for most who read this forum, I can tell you that there is great reward to be had if you can learn to vary the spin on your topspin between very heavy and very little. That is why I took issue with your statement that 'there are only two kind of loops'
Maybe you should check this with the high level players you train with.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 3:05pm
I believe this is a relatively new video of ZJK's loop.  Just throwing it out there...

Timo Boll Spirit
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I believe this is a relatively new video of ZJK's loop.  Just throwing it out there...

Great, but IMO, the only person who can do ZJK's loop is ZJK, there must be a fantastic range of players who can do it to a wide range of competence by copying the action, but on anything less than 20 hours a week training with very good players, its never going to be consistent enough to make a difference other than looking good (debatable)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 3:14pm
70 degrees, anyone?

Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 3:23pm

Great, but IMO, the only person who can do ZJK's loop is ZJK, there must be a fantastic range of players who can do it to a wide range of competence by copying the action, but on anything less than 20 hours a week training with very good players, its never going to be consistent enough to make a difference other than looking good (debatable)

Yes, agreed.  And I find it strange whenever people recommend a specific racket angle for any particular shot.  Would not the racket angle vary depending on:

the amount of spin on the incoming ball?

the trajectory of the stroke?

where the ball is in it's arc (top of the bounce, descent, or on the rise)?

the amount of racket speed the player can produce?

the type of equipment being used?

etc?

I try not to think about the racket angle at all when I play, but rather I just try to subconsciously adjust my racket angle in order to produce the feeling of spin/dwell time that I am trying to create.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/30/2015 at 3:26pm
Timo Boll Spirit
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 3:38pm
Is this discussion about a simple LOOP or Loop-Kill? Why is everybody in both threads posting videos of loops and talking about simple looping motion? Am I the only talking about a finishing shot? I am pretty sure the OP was asking about the finishing shot, when you get a weak ball and you have the opportunity to end the point. 
ZJK has a pretty good crush, but his normal attack is very spiny and not a good example of loop kill.

If you want a good example of loop kill, wantch videos of Yan An. He doesn't even use a loop, he loopkills everything : ). 2011 is a good year for his videos...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 4:01pm

Yes, agreed.  And I find it strange whenever people recommend a specific racket angle for any particular shot.  Would not the racket angle vary depending on:

the amount of spin on the incoming ball?

the trajectory of the stroke?

where the ball is in it's arc (top of the bounce, descent, or on the rise)?

the amount of racket speed the player can produce?

the type of equipment being used?

etc?

I try not to think about the racket angle at all when I play, but rather I just try to subconsciously adjust my racket angle in order to produce the feeling of spin/dwell time that I am trying to create.

yes exactly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic