FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hitting to much, little spin in loop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2015 at 3:00pm
Your weight is still on your right leg at point of contact, you need more transfer to your left and contact point mid way between the two.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2015 at 8:54am
Thanks all for the comments. I will post some new videos later.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 6:53am
The is from my practice yesterday (I am the one facing the camera with blue shirt). I did see some improvement myself. But still, my contact of the ball is not consistent. My loop is awkward if I am out of position.  My wrist moved at some point if I am out of position. I tended to not follow through in some loops. Any more comments will be highly welcome. Thanks.

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 12:35pm
Back hand

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 12:39pm
Forehand drill 2

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 4:59pm
Play short pips.  You have talent for that.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Play short pips.  You have talent for that.

Thanks. But I would rather not try it. I just see another EJing coming with short pips.

I think you were suggesting that I hit too much, especially on back hand. Right?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 5:56pm
Do you believe in talent?  It is just that I feel it is in your blood, but it's not for inverted.

I have a friend who plays short pips on forehand and people ask him why.  Even though he answered for the fun of it, the real reason he does that is he can't get the stroke right.  Nevertheless, he has a nasty backhand but it just doesn't translate on the forehand.  Once, we were warming up and he commented about how my forehand had so much sting compared to that of another friend even after training for so many years.  The gist?  Talent.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 7:11pm
No pips for me. I hate to play against pipser and I don't want to be one of them. Hitting with pips is no fun at all.

I guess that I will keep practicing until I get it right. I might have to get some serious coaching if needed. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 7:17pm
It is actually helping to see my problem with these videos. I was thinking that I looped like Ma long before these videos, Angry
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 7:32pm
In that case, one thing you can try is do what XX does in the video at 1:36 until you get the feeling of brushing contact right.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 7:41pm
My own solution (to my own problem just like that) is that I do not worry about the technique that much, I try play matches, play smart winners when doing that and not worry about some awkward shots that happen to me/will always happen to me. We are not twelve yo anymore, you know...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 8:17pm
i don't see anything wrong with your strokes, either of them, other than they are weak and inconsistent. But the form is right. CERTAINLY you don't hit too much. I don't know who told you that. This is not even close to a drive. I think both your strokes are fine, just speed it up a little, increase consistency, and add more juice. It's got no juice!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 8:23pm
Try delaying your contact . Brush the ball when the ball starts to go down maybe lower than the height of the playing surface because it forces you to brush the ball instead of hitting it through the sponge.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

i don't see anything wrong with your strokes, either of them, other than they are weak and inconsistent. But the form is right. CERTAINLY you don't hit too much. I don't know who told you that. This is not even close to a drive. I think both your strokes are fine, just speed it up a little, increase consistency, and add more juice. It's got no juice!

I actually have  improved a lot since I started the post, Embarrassed. My problem is that I only play in the local club and everyone tried to teach me something. I have tried many fancy stuff that I probably should not have tried. Right now, I think I will stick with the fundamental and improve the consistence for the moment.

I used to play those rush table tennis just for fun. So I tend to play too fast and aim for the kill. I think I will slow down more and try to do more slow loop maybe.

MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 8:39pm
One thing to get a lot of spin is to grip the racket well at the moment of contact :)
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Try delaying your contact . Brush the ball when the ball starts to go down maybe lower than the height of the playing surface because it forces you to brush the ball instead of hitting it through the sponge.

That is the mighty advice that should solve some of my problem.  I have not switched my mindset from hitting to looping, so I try to hit hard every time I see a ball pass the net. I have tried to receive the ball when it drops. BUt damn, it is not easy to do that consistently. That is the mindset that I need to adjust to.

Edited by kindof99 - 03/07/2016 at 9:14pm
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2016 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

I actually have  improved a lot since I started the post, Embarrassed. My problem is that I only play in the local club and everyone tried to teach me something. I have tried many fancy stuff that I probably should not have tried. Right now, I think I will stick with the fundamental and improve the consistence for the moment.

I used to play those rush table tennis just for fun. So I tend to play too fast and aim for the kill. I think I will slow down more and try to do more slow loop maybe.

when you say kill.. i really recommend staying away from those slaps that beginners use. Stay away from flat smacks as much as you can. Your ball doesn't have a lot of energy. You can increase both spin and speed simultaneously, so even when you drive very hard you still do it with topspin and bend the ball around the net. No bend no success. I never aim to win points with spin. Spin is only a tool to bend the ball around the net. That, and to add stability to the flight path, just like a bullet has to spin if you want it to have stable flight.

Edited by Victor_the_cleaner - 03/07/2016 at 10:31pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 5:04am
Your stroke and contact looks much better to me in the recent videos. You are headed in the right direction. Just practice against different kinds of spins and keep adapting your stroke and contact to the spin of the ball. Well done.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 6:43am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

One thing to get a lot of spin is to grip the racket well at the moment of contact :)

Good observation. I often changed my grip at the contact point just for convenience of hitting the ball. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 6:50am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Your stroke and contact looks much better to me in the recent videos. You are headed in the right direction. Just practice against different kinds of spins and keep adapting your stroke and contact to the spin of the ball. Well done.

Thanks, NL. Will try to update with some more videos in the future.

I spotted more problems than I thought with these videos. Maybe I should start to record my play more regularly. 
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 7:01am
nice video.
good technique
Forehand drill 2

what i spoted is that you need to increase your recovery time and also it seems maybe im wrong of course that if they move you a little the things are getting messy.
just work on that.
apart from that really good swing.
once you improve some minor things you will increase your level ++
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 7:18am

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Thanks, NL. Will try to update with some more videos in the future.

I spotted more problems than I thought with these videos. Maybe I should start to record my play more regularly. 

IF you are working on your game, you should always record it and review it while you are there if there is no coach.  If there is a coach, you can wait till you get home unless you have no clue what he is talking about.  Over time, your mind and your body will become more together so you can review less, but recording is the only way to know what you are actually doing.  Your brain deceives you.
Cybershape Carbon
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 7:49am
A match between my clubmate and me from last weekend. Well, I see too many problems of my play. Any comment is highly appreciated. What would my USATT rating be? 1600 maybe?

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 8:21am

A match between my clubmate and me from last weekend. Well, I see too many problems of my play. Any comment is highly appreciated. What would my USATT rating be? 1600 maybe?

I think it's lower than that - but why even bother asking? You are in US (at least your profile says so), looks like there is a decent crowd in your club, so I presume there must be tournaments around. Sign up for a tournament or two and find out Wink
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 8:31am
I don't have time for the tournaments, so I will just play matches during play  section.  Well, I never care that much about winning or rating anyway. I play TT for exercise and for fun.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 8:48am

I don't have time for the tournaments, so I will just play matches during play  section.  Well, I never care that much about winning or rating anyway. I play TT for exercise and for fun.

Fair enough - then if you have clubmates with USATT rating, see how you do against them. It's going to be a somewhat optimistic estimate, since people don't take club matches that seriously, but it will give you an idea. 
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 9:13am
Well, I did find ways to improve from this match video. I guess that I played very passively that day and still I had many unforced errors. I think I had a little problem with the serve from this clubmate. I think he hid his serve a little bit so I could not see very well his serves. He served mostly fast to my backhand and that added the problem if I did not know how he would serve. 

ALso I tended to push a lot if I started a push mode. I absolutely need to adjust to loop after the first push.  I am not afraid to lose, but my mind told me to keep pushing.  And I think that is subconscious. 

Edited by kindof99 - 03/08/2016 at 9:29am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 9:58am

Many people who actually play understand that a lot of stuff, including mental muscle management, goes into your tournament rating, so they don't like it when someone tries to claim a rating without playing in tournaments. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't.

I think you are somewhere between 800 and 1400. I really struggle to tell the nuanced differences these days.   
Cybershape Carbon
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 10:25am
Well, I might play some tournament when I have time and feel the need for more challanges. Right now, I am going to just have fun and learn more the fundamental. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic