Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home made ALC blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made ALC blade
    Posted: 08/21/2018 at 6:38pm
Figured I would share some photos of an ALC blade I just made. It's Ayous core , Spruce,ALC and Koto. Finished thickness is 6mm. Still waiting for it to cure to get a final weight but currently it's 99 grams with a solid handle and a frequency of 1530hz which is a little higher than a Butterfly ALC blade but close.

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/21/2018 at 7:22pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Sponsored Links

ZhouZhekai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZhouZhekai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 7:00pm
Looks fantasticClap
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 8:15pm
Looks VERY nice! specially the side view (2nd picture).
Clap
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 8:25pm
Ryan, make me a cpen please!
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 10:02pm
Has this same composition been done somewhere before? Sounds interesting and looks great!
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 10:34pm
Fantastic! in for one as soon as the ordering open
EJ-turned blade collector
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 11:17pm
Ha! At my snail pace i would have to charge more money than Butterfly.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 11:37pm
I envy your skill.
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 9:31am
Where did you get the ALC sheet from?
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I envy your skill.
I envy more of his enthusiasm/passion...I'm polishing his shoes & apples now..who knows I might get his freebie(s)...LOL
He has been "giving" me alotta stuffs over the years since the 1st day I've known him & I still keep ALL of those gifts until the end of....hmm..ain't gonna go too far. LOL

Edited by tiehwen - 08/22/2018 at 10:20am
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 10:19am
Make me one and sell it to me! I'll fork over some good $ 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 11:02am
Nice! Is the blue cloth mesh looking thing the Arylate Carbon? Where did you get/buy it? A quick search only turned up blades and carbon fiber sheets.  Your work looks great!

The closest I got to wanting to make my own blade was when I saw sheets of Mylar being glued on windows, layers and layers of it to prevent glass shattering in case of a storm.  I thought hmmm, I wonder how this thing would be in a TT blade.  But I have not done it yet.

I also have this idea that if I can get the rubber used in Wham-O Superball but in sheet form, glue a topsheet on it, I bet I can get some interesting results Smile
cftt-blades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 11:14am
I've found nowhere to get Arylate Carbon in the US.  I've heard of suppliers perhaps in China.  There are a number of places to get a wide variety of good composites in the US, such as compositeenvisions.com as one example.  Arylate Carbon I believe is also known as Vectran.  A lot of people I believe use Aramid carbons as a substitue, such as Carbon/Kevlar composites.
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 3:24pm
My friend gets the composites and epoxies from Europe and the US. Don't try Mylar on a TT blade I actually use it as a stop layer since epoxy won't stick to it.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 3:45pm
You should build 10 more of these beauties - including a light one for me 😉 This would be more economically and you could sell them for a price which is acceptable for you and us. 😁 I am sure we would find interests for these blades. 😄
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 5:36pm
Wow, I am surprised how good you have made it looking. Hope it plays well too.
I won't buy any blade by personal reasons, but I am sure your skills could be appreciated among the forum members in time.
Wish you all the best in building good for playing and good looking blades, I will follow your progress!
Clap Thumbs Up
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 6:18pm
Thanks for the kind words and interest in this blade. As it stands right now I don't have any plans to make them available. It's really a long process since I do all the work by hand. If the blade plays great and I could find a way to make them affordable and not take so long I'll let you guys know.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 12:16pm
Couple more pics of the handle work

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/23/2018 at 12:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 12:21pm
That top picture is very curious.  It looks like not only are each of the individual handles hollowed out, but you've actually removed a significant portion of the handle on the blade itself?  I can only presume done for weight reasons.  When you removed this much material how did the weight change from the initially reported 99g?  Given the materials you used, 99g seems a bit high based on my experiences with making a number of blades.
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 12:59pm
Final product

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/23/2018 at 1:00pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 1:18pm
When I put it on an accurate scale it was 104g total. So I removed some weight from the handle. Total weight is 96g now. What does your cut lamination weigh without handles? I have noticed handle material weights have a huge weight range. Some of my rough handle blanks are 25g a pair some are 50g plus

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/23/2018 at 1:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cftt-blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 1:53pm
Yes handle materials are definitely widely varied in weight.  https://wood-database.com can give you some sense of how heavy a material will be.  Usually my handles after initial gluging of materials together, cutting to size, using a round-over bit on the edges, before any significant shaping are in the 13-16g range each.  I then proceed to plane each side of the handle to get close to a thickness I want, leaving a little room for sanding, and re-weigh.  This gives me an estimate of how much material i need to hollow out from the handle (if any).  

Those handles sort of look like Padauk(?) which is somewhat heavy.  I have made 14 blades thus far and have kept accurate track in a google docs spreadsheet of everything.   I've had 5 ply blades that were 57-62g cut before handles, and 7 ply composites that ranged from 68g-76g.  I found that I have to be careful with how the epoxy resin is applied to not get excessive pooling between the individual fibres, especially with non spread-tow fibres, as there are so many crimp points.  Also, core materials make a huge weight difference.  Obeche is a good 35% heavier than Kiri.  I tend to use thinner cores when I use a heavier wood (I have several Western Red Cedar core blades).  Its all a learning experience and lots of fun :)
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 4:38pm
Threads like this make me think that, comparatively, my talents are so insignificant.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 5:57pm
Honestly you could build something similar. It's just about finding the right materials a little research on laminating and some patience. Maybe one day I should make a DIY video.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2018 at 5:29pm
Koto/ALC/Spruce with an Ayous Core like my last blade but the BH is Black Limba/Spruce and ALC on the core like an innerforce.Handle material is dyed quilted maple

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/24/2018 at 5:32pm
mark20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2018 at 5:35pm
I was trying to have a blade customize something like than. One side is Outer layer and Inner Layer. Composition will be Koto- ALC-Limba-Kiri-ALC-Ayous-Koto. The concept is Viscaria and N301 as one blade.
azv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2018 at 6:00pm
Both blades look amazing, how do they play? 

You should totally do a DIY video Smile
TSP Swat, V15 Extra, LP
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2018 at 12:46am
Well first test was a little disappointing. I have built myself some type of Super Viscaria. It's fast, like really fast. My coach uses Amultart and he was like wow this is fast. I used less epoxy in the 2nd blade and it's fast too. Maybe I should use veneer glue on the wood to wood joints or maybe run the wood grain in the same direction instead of having the inner wood layer perpendicular ? R&D will be fun.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2018 at 3:26am
what was the blade thickness?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2018 at 8:29am
First blade is 6.0mm and the second is 5.8mm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic