Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2008 US Open women's final

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
choulee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choulee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2008 US Open women's final
    Posted: 07/19/2008 at 3:57pm
Where can I view the video of Gao Jun vs. Ni XiaLian - Women's Singles Final - US Open Table Tennis Tournament? Please let me know. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2008 at 9:56pm
go to youtube.com and search for gao jun US open
choulee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choulee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2008 at 11:05pm
There is no "Gau vs Ni" Single Final video. Hope someone will post it soon. Thanks.
kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2008 at 11:20pm
You are right. I over looked and thought there are videos of them playing. There's a guy who has the videos of the final. He said he'll be posting them when he comes back from a break, roughly 2 weeks. 
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2008 at 11:32pm
Where was Wang Chen, she is america's best female player~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
kenboi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2008 at 12:01am
Gao Jun used to be the world's top 10. I would love to see Gao Jun playing Wang Chen.
choulee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choulee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2008 at 12:54pm
Could you please ask him to post it into youtube? Thank you.
I remember that Gao Jun played Wang Chen once and lost the match.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 11:59am
The women's final is on YouTube now, starting here with game 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=10Nisw0Dxy8
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

The women's final is on YouTube now, starting here with game 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=10Nisw0Dxy8

Well I watched games 1, 3, 5 and once again I am unhappy. Here is a few points I want to make

a) there was barely one point that went longer than 5 hits, and many many of them were simply some almost unforced errors (at least that's how it seems to a regular viewer)

b) two 40-yr old Chinese attackers/blockers playing with pips - that certainly affected the type of play!

c) when younger generation watches this, learns from this and starts to play like this, what happens next? they go to play any international tournament and they get more or less easily destroyed by advanced 2-winged loopers/attackers

d) I wouldn't want to pay for the ticket to watch that match - I mean I would have gone and watched US Open if I could but not for this match. How can we expect people who want to be entertained by an interesting show/sport to come and watch TT if we are showing them this as a US Open final? no wonder many people turn away... I should say however I have no idea what the proper solution is here... in any case it wouldn't be something that will work quickly, that just can't happen

Anyway, to my horror, I start to understand more why ITTF wants to make TT more watchable and tries to implement some ridiculous solutions to that problem - they don't help though...

Sorry about griping... once again, US Open by itself is a great thing, it's just that some women's matches this year are kinda depressing me...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
choulee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choulee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 1:07pm
Thanks a lot for posting it on YouTube.  Gau showed us how she got  LP player Ni under control in game 1.   A great player knows how to handle all types of playing style.   Looking forward to seeing remaining games. 
Thanks again.
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 8:11pm
hi jimT
this is the irony of pingpong. these women are old, yes. but the young girls cannot defeat them.  it is unfortunate. even their ustta ranking are very high with men included.

how many men can defeat these ladies including the us team members. we had a guy here in my city a few months ago. he is like 2500us rating. wins all the local tournament. he loops with all his strength. he was on trip to the dc area and had a chance to play one of these girls gao jun or wen chen at a tournament. he got killed. i don't think he took a game. he didn't know what hit him. poor guy. i guess he taught he could overpower the female player for easy throphy money. he never got a chance.

so the problem is that the standard is too low in the us. in china or any foreign country at least 20 men will be able to defeat these girls. in the us here i don't think 2 men in the national team can put their money it.
manluski
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by manluski manluski wrote:

hi jimT
this is the irony of pingpong. these women are old, yes. but the young girls cannot defeat them.  it is unfortunate. even their ustta ranking are very high with men included.

how many men can defeat these ladies including the us team members. we had a guy here in my city a few months ago. he is like 2500us rating. wins all the local tournament. he loops with all his strength. he was on trip to the dc area and had a chance to play one of these girls gao jun or wen chen at a tournament. he got killed. i don't think he took a game. he didn't know what hit him. poor guy. i guess he taught he could overpower the female player for easy throphy money. he never got a chance.

so the problem is that the standard is too low in the us. in china or any foreign country at least 20 men will be able to defeat these girls. in the us here i don't think 2 men in the national team can put their money it.

Oh, I understand that perfectly well. I am just saying that this is unfortunate, that younger girls cannot concentrate on TT and train hard enough to beat them. And I wouldn't even mind - after all, who cares if a woman is even 50 years old as long as she kicks butt - if only their style were a bit more ... how should I put that?... interesting. But then again, this is perfectly logical - you cannot expect a 40 yr old player to play the same power game as played by 20-yr olds. I mean, look at He Zhi Wen - he doesn't loop or attack away from the table, not the least because he simply cannot afford to spend that much energy. But nevertheless he is still at 46 one of the best 30 players in the world...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 11:45pm
yes
ping pong now has to do with style and experience. the women in usa, imo, are playing a lot harder pingpong than the men. they women are very smart players. the guy i was refering to earlier can probably be rated 2600 or more, but does not play intelligently.
these women players have mastered the pips and so called junk rubbers to remove or diminished power as a wining factor from the game. so it you only relly on power and less on intelligent you will have no chance and will tire out.
in fact  about 80% of top female players use some kind of junk rubbers. some men do as you can see mens winner in us 2008 open chen weixing  easily defeating his opponents. 
these women play in open tournaments with top men included and win. that is why their ratings are high. in other countries if women enter in mens competition, their chances of winning will be close to zero and would not advance past the first few rounds unless the are rated handicap.
i saw a tournament this year and watched as lu ying the semi finalist in the womens us open 2008 defeated owens 3-0. i could not believe what my eyes were seing. she even defeated david zhuang sometime last year, i believe in the us team open in a close game. so it is the mens standard that is horriblely low.
in fact i  don't believe any natural born american can defeat probably the top 6 to 10 female. at least not players like mark hazinski in the usa team.
manluski
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 12:09am
Originally posted by choulee choulee wrote:

Thanks a lot for posting it on YouTube.� Gau showed us how she got��LP player Ni�under control in game 1.�� A great player knows how to handle all types of playing style.�� Looking forward to seeing�remaining games.�
Thanks again.

I thought she used Sp's on FH? SHe said she used pf4 blade, spin pips, and tsp curl p1-r~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 12:46am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

I thought she used Sp's on FH? SHe said she used pf4 blade, spin pips, and tsp curl p1-r~

Check the video - she twiddles all the time. The red rubber seems to be short pips, the black is long pips. When the opponent serves or attacks, she mostly uses long pips. A penholder pips duel is obviously a different kind of match than counterlooping with inverted, and involves a lot of tactics and subtlety.

@choulee:
the complete match is on YouTube, not just game 1 - search for it, or click on "more from this user" next to the video.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 12:52am

in fact  about 80% of top female players use some kind of junk rubbers. 

Huh? Many women use short pips on one side, but that's not a "junk rubber."

BTW, did you see the recent Chinese warmup event where Guo Yue and Zhang Yining beat players from the men's B team, in a full match without handicap? If there were more competitions in other countries between men and women, the US situation wouldn't appear quite so unusual.
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 1:34am
yes i watched the warm up match. but are you saying that china cannot produce 50  to 100 men players that can defeat her. pls let me hear your opinion.
manluski
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 2:26am
defeat her - you mean Gao Jun? Sure, there should be 50 Chinese men able to beat her today, compared to only a couple of US men; no argument there. Obviously the gap between the US and China is huge everywhere, except for Gao Jun and Wang Chen.
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 2:43am
 i was refering to guo yue in the chinese women olympic warm up match.
manluski
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 10:54am
I'm just happy there are still some penholders out there~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 11:41am

i was refering to guo yue in the chinese women olympic warm up match.

Well she beat Wang Xi, who's certainly one of the 20-30 best Chinese men (maybe a bit weaker than Hou Yingchao but not much). Zhang Yining beat Gao Xin. Ratingscentral.com has some results for these players for comparison.
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 1:00pm
hi
you didn't answer my question directly. vis, do you belive china cannot produce 50 - 100 men that will confidently defeat guo yue or her female chinese mates?
i don't believe everything i see. i believe that was a staged match if he is ranked between 20-30 in chinese men. there was nothing at stage, i guess their rewards were guaranteed.
look at the video again.
manluski
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2008 at 1:47pm

hi
you didn't answer my question directly. vis, do you belive china cannot produce 50 - 100 men that will confidently defeat guo yue or her female chinese mates?
i don't believe everything i see. i believe that was a staged match if he is ranked between 20-30 in chinese men. there was nothing at stage, i guess their rewards were guaranteed.
look at the video again.

I can't answer your question because there's not enough "evidence" about matches between Chinese men and women to draw on. And I have no idea what the level of #100 in China would be compared to the top 20.

As for the second part, why would they stage a win for Guo when the whole point of the event was to be a tough test for the Olympics? If it's fixed in advance it won't do Guo any good in terms of confidence or mental strength. The only possibility would be that they told the men to lose, without telling the women about it - but don't you think Guo and Zhang would have been able to see whether their opponents played seriously? Especially as they know them from training sessions anyway. I think the women's A team routinely plays against the junior men's team.
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2008 at 2:39am
i doubt that it was staged since ma long killed ma lin in the men's warm up, but it was men's
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
choulee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choulee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2008 at 9:57pm
Thanks a lot for posting all the games between Gau vs Ni.   Ni beat Lu Ying in semifinal. Did you have the games? The current world ranking of Ni is #42, Wang Chen #20 and Gau Jun #25. They all play pips really well. I enjoy watching their games very much.
choulee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choulee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2008 at 1:41am
Thank you so much for posting games between Ni Xia Lian and Lu Ying.  What a show Ni has put on! Quick FH attack and consistent BH are her weapon.  She is hard to beat and that's why she's in the women final.
Thank  you again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic