Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2009 Cary Cup Saturday Highlights, pt 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Brian Pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 Cary Cup Saturday Highlights, pt 1
    Posted: 03/22/2009 at 3:59am
Hey guys

I decided not to play this years Cary Cup, and brought out my 2 HD cameras and got over 50 high level matches from group play on Saturday at the Cary Cup.

Players featured are:

Eric Owens, Stefan Feth, Wang Zhen, Robert Roberts, Sara Fu, Amereesh Sahu, Ragu N, Sara Fu, Michael Landers, Chris OBrian, Dan Barrett, Paul David, Keith Evans, John Wetzler, Thomas Yu, Kim Bong, De Tran, Han Xiao, and Heather Wang.

More highlights and interviews to come soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eup7y8lygC8&feature=channel_page

Brian

Sponsored Links

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 4:10am
nice highlights brian, those players are awesome, how is sara fu doing? isnt she top womens player? 
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 4:10am
why did you decide not to play?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 4:57am
Sara Fu is a top player from the West Coast, and is now in college in Texas. She is dating Mark Hazinski and I'm planning a interview with both of them if I can get with them at the same time.

I had originally wanted to play this tournament in conjunction with launching my training video at a 4-star event. This tournament is 12 miles from my house, and I thought it would be fitting to have a booth here. But I was informed from the tournament director last week that one of the sponsors, Butterfly, was against me having a booth.

I had been with Butterfly my entire career until Sept of 2008, which makes that 22 years, and I never received any money, and nor had I asked for money.

Since leaving and starting my own company I have not changed my relationship with them, but they have changed the way they see and treat me now.   I was a huge money maker for them, and I have gone from a asset to a threat. Professionally, I understand that business works that way, but I didn't think it was called for especially with them not having 1 training video at their booth. I think I have just entered the cut throat world of table tennis business.

Personally, I feel a little weird because the same person that is making an attempt to cut me out, is one of the people that taught me how to play.

I officially don't have a problem with the entity named Butterfly. What you have to understand is they're a reseller. They buy the equipment from Tokyo which is the headquarters, and turn around and sell it to everyone in North America. They have just been given the rights to call themselves Butterfly.   I didn't want to sell my Video Series to the owner of the company. Now, it seems like they are throwing around their weight of Butterfly, which would make the average start up company nervous. All I can say, if I left the company, the last thing I'm going to do is bow down to their pressure. My integrity is stronger than my legs.   

I was interested in selling my videos to them just like many companies do like alpha, reflex sports, etc, and I think I offended the owner. I guess sponsoring me for 22 years gave them a since of entitlement over not only my results, image, and level, but my intellectual property. So getting resistance from them is really, really creepy.

That tells me 2 things. For them to cut me out means that my product must be good. The second thing is regardless of what relationships you have, it still is "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY".

Didn't mean to get heavy, but I'm not going to pull any punches, because I don't answer to anyone now. You will get a chance to see what my movement is about, and it is not about cutting anyone out. It is about embracing the progression of the table tennis movement.

Consider me the 50 Cent or Lil Wayne of Table Tennis with regards to ownership of my name, but without the thug swagger, the jewelry, the drugs, alcohol and criminal records. LOL I'm more of the corny "Will Smith" type.

On a happy note, me and my business Partner Rocky Wang set up a booth   out of the back of his hatch back in the parking lot, and was able to attract a whole bunch of attention and sells some videos. It's a funny video, and any of you will get a kick out of it.

We can't be stopped, because we won't stop.

Pacer
judelam168 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judelam168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 8:57am
Thanks for the videos and uploaded them so quickly!

Talked to Rocky outside the Cary Cup venue.  You guys don't deserve this treatment from Butterfly especially your product does not compete with theirs.  Table Tennis in the US is not exactly very popular in a grander scheme of things.  There is no reason why our own TT vendors not co-operating to promote TT in US.  It is just not right.  Brian, you guys did the right thing.
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 9:10am
Very good players and nice video! Great job BrianThumbs%20Up!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 11:20am
Awesome footage. I like when the camera's right in on the action. Like I'm standing right there watching.

I'm a big fan of butterfly products. But out of principle I import stuff from overseas so I don't have to pay the big markup in the US. Even with expensive intl shipping its still cheaper!

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Brian Pace Brian Pace wrote:

Sara Fu is a top player from the West Coast, and is now in college in Texas. She is dating Mark Hazinski and I'm planning a interview with both of them if I can get with them at the same time.

I had originally wanted to play this tournament in conjunction with launching my training video at a 4-star event. This tournament is 12 miles from my house, and I thought it would be fitting to have a booth here. But I was informed from the tournament director last week that one of the sponsors, Butterfly, was against me having a booth.

I had been with Butterfly my entire career until Sept of 2008, which makes that 22 years, and I never received any money, and nor had I asked for money.

Since leaving and starting my own company I have not changed my relationship with them, but they have changed the way they see and treat me now.   I was a huge money maker for them, and I have gone from a asset to a threat. Professionally, I understand that business works that way, but I didn't think it was called for especially with them not having 1 training video at their booth. I think I have just entered the cut throat world of table tennis business.

Personally, I feel a little weird because the same person that is making an attempt to cut me out, is one of the people that taught me how to play.

I officially don't have a problem with the entity named Butterfly. What you have to understand is they're a reseller. They buy the equipment from Tokyo which is the headquarters, and turn around and sell it to everyone in North America. They have just been given the rights to call themselves Butterfly.   I didn't want to sell my Video Series to the owner of the company. Now, it seems like they are throwing around their weight of Butterfly, which would make the average start up company nervous. All I can say, if I left the company, the last thing I'm going to do is bow down to their pressure. My integrity is stronger than my legs.   

I was interested in selling my videos to them just like many companies do like alpha, reflex sports, etc, and I think I offended the owner. I guess sponsoring me for 22 years gave them a since of entitlement over not only my results, image, and level, but my intellectual property. So getting resistance from them is really, really creepy.

That tells me 2 things. For them to cut me out means that my product must be good. The second thing is regardless of what relationships you have, it still is "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY".

Didn't mean to get heavy, but I'm not going to pull any punches, because I don't answer to anyone now. You will get a chance to see what my movement is about, and it is not about cutting anyone out. It is about embracing the progression of the table tennis movement.

Consider me the 50 Cent or Lil Wayne of Table Tennis with regards to ownership of my name, but without the thug swagger, the jewelry, the drugs, alcohol and criminal records. LOL I'm more of the corny "Will Smith" type.

On a happy note, me and my business Partner Rocky Wang set up a booth   out of the back of his hatch back in the parking lot, and was able to attract a whole bunch of attention and sells some videos. It's a funny video, and any of you will get a kick out of it.

We can't be stopped, because we won't stop.

Pacer

Good read. This sure is a shame, after all you did for them. I'm still seeing brian pace pre-mades all around campus:) Got to love that Stayer rubber they have on it!

I look forward to more videos and meeting you in person at a tournament some day.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 12:03pm
Mr. Pace......don't ever let anyone tell you no.... or get in your way!   

Viva' la free enterprise a' la capitalism!

I can't stand that Butterfly USA is trying to take away your liberties in such a low ball way.  Just shows the owner's true colors.  

Good luck and hope you are highly successful!

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Mr. Pace......don't ever let anyone tell you no.... or get in your way! �� Viva' la free enterprise a' la capitalism!I can't stand that Butterfly USA is trying to take away your liberties in such a low ball way.� Just shows the owner's true colors.�� Good luck and hope you are highly successful!

Its not butterfly that is doing it, it is that Martin Kilapatrick obviously.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 6:44pm
 ButterflyUSA= MK   
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

�ButterflyUSA= MK ��

Yea haha. I mean the guy has to put his name n all the products, its so annoying.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 10:01pm
Let me start off by saying that Stefan Feth beat Gao YuJun in the finals.

But the talk of the tournament was Marcus Jackson. In the round of 16 he beat Peter-Paul 3-1 and you will see some of the most fantastic shots.

In the Quarterfinals he took down Wang Zhen 3-1, and the energy in the guy was like it was the finals. Other people have video this match, but I'm going to feature it on my site, and really edit it to give it justice. He lost to Gao YuJun 3-1, and I was able to get an interview right after that, so stay tuned for that.

I really do want to thank you all for the well wishing guys. I was initially apprehensive about talking about this subject, because I didn't want to make it seem like I was bitter. I'm actually not, but THEY are.

I keep trying to move forward, and they are so bitter that something keeps happening. A friend of mine called to see if they had my video, and the employee said, "We don't buy videos from former employees". Now, I told them that I would redirect any questions from Butterfly customer to them. Well, think that I might just have to ignore that email now.

The DTT Movement is about being positive, and soon I will start putting other types of videos on the site, and I will NEVER let Butterfly have the upperhand.

We WILL WIN

Pacer
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 10:20pm

Pacer

LOL lol and I am going to purchase a dvd asap for support!

Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 10:26pm

Let me start off by saying that Stefan Feth beat Gao YuJun in the finals.

But the talk of the tournament was Marcus Jackson. In the round of 16 he beat Peter-Paul 3-1 and you will see some of the most fantastic shots.

In the Quarterfinals he took down Wang Zhen 3-1, and the energy in the guy was like it was the finals. Other people have video this match, but I'm going to feature it on my site, and really edit it to give it justice. He lost to Gao YuJun 3-1, and I was able to get an interview right after that, so stay tuned for that.

I really do want to thank you all for the well wishing guys. I was initially apprehensive about talking about this subject, because I didn't want to make it seem like I was bitter. I'm actually not, but THEY are.

I keep trying to move forward, and they are so bitter that something keeps happening. A friend of mine called to see if they had my video, and the employee said, "We don't buy videos from former employees". Now, I told them that I would redirect any questions from Butterfly customer to them. Well, think that I might just have to ignore that email now.

The DTT Movement is about being positive, and soon I will start putting other types of videos on the site, and I will NEVER let Butterfly have the upperhand.

We WILL WIN

Pacer

I saw Marcus once at the only tournament I played in. He was two tables behind me. He isnt too bad, what is his world ranking.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 10:27pm

i feel like you have everyone on here backing you brian, just keep up the good work and i know you'll do very well in life.

www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BHDoom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BHDoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 10:43pm
amazing wins for marcus, good to see a young american ponger make a come up
BTY Viscaria FL

FH: Black BTY T05 2.1

BH: Red BTY T64 2.1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 1:54am
Hey

I got your order. Thanks a bunch. Enjoy the video man. We really put everything we had into that first video.

Best Wishes

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 1:59am
Thanks a lot man.

It really does take a different type of person to make an attempt to paint a different picture. Dynamic Table Tennis is that picture.

If you guys keep watching, I'll keep doing cool things.

Pacer
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 2:03am
Brian i love all your stuff man, fun, different, and actually informative interviews. Keep up the good work and videos cant wait to save some money and get your training video. Will you be going to the US Open this year? I dont remember seeing you there last year, were u at the butterfly booth?
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 2:29am
Brian, I need to hijack your post for a second to update my Cary Cup experience if you don't mind.  2009 Cary Cup is a great tournament, and you might have to come and see for yourself.

For my performance, it was the worst tournament for me within the last 3 years or so.  I played hardbat on Friday and tried to hard.  I twisted my left knee somehow, and I didn't want to quit... so, I just kept playing.  I came the next day (Saturday) with a hurt knee, I can't even step around and loop... and if I stepped over, I couldn't bend my knees at all... well, I am not a quitter and kept on playing all my matches.  I lost to couple of 2100s and even one 2000s player (I think). 

Was I disappointed with all of that losses?  NO... I love this game no matter what.  However, I learned something this past weekend though.  I am 38 and not a young guy anymore.  If I get hurt, I can't recover within 12 hours LOL.  Oh well, I need to be smarter next time.  I thought hardbat was fun, but fun can be hurtful sometime Big%20smile.  That's all for me.

Brian, thanks for sharing the videos, and again, sorry for hijacking your post.  Next time, we will go out for Pho, my treat... Thumbs%20Up
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 2:38am
You did the right thing Brian. Butterfly USA doesn't even have to be called Butterfly. They should just be called USA sellers of ButterflyLOL Butterfly is the company in their Headquarters in Japan. They are actually friendly basing from a friend of mine from Japan.
Butterfly USA is like those stupid resellers of toys in the US. Let's take a toy for example. Those marbles which every kid in the US is craving about. I forgot the name but I think it's Bakugan. The US versions of the toys are stupid looking and it's really like the one in the anime. The original ones in Japan look more original. (Note: I just read this blog while searching random things in the web) I'm not a kid anymoreLOL
If you say that Butterfly sponsored and taught you how to play, it's normal for them to think that you betrayed them. Just let it go. Just think that this isn't the worst thing that could happen. The worst thing that can happen is that they took it to seriously and hired assassins that could attack you. Another thing that could happen is that they bought a copy of your DVD disquised as a normal person in the booth you set up in the parking lot. They may steal your Dynamic Harmony. I hope this dosen't happen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 2:51am
Thanks D-Angel

Thanks for the compliments man. It is hard work, but it is so much fun that I can't stay off my computer editing video.

When you get the video, know that you will get getting over 24 years of knowledge from 19 different coaches, 8 Olympians, and countless experiences that make this the cheapest $40.00 you will every spend to get better.

I was at the US Open, but I was all over the place videotaping matches, and this year I will be there as DTT doing some pretty cool things, so look out for that.

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 2:59am
Speedy

Sorry to hear you had a rough tournament. The tournament is getting stronger, and we ain't getting no younger. We compete hard, and that is what we really live for.

No problem about the hijack of the post, but Pho is on you.

Take care, and heal well buddy

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 3:49am
USA Sellers of Butterfly.........now that is funny. Maybe I will call them that for now on.

I created Dynamic Harmony in 1989, and I never said it out loud until the Textbook Table Tennis Video came out. I sat on it for 20 years because if I had said it in 1994, it would have ended up in someone's book. Now, it's going to end up in my book. It is copyrighted and trademarked, so if anyone wants to steal it and make it their own, I will see them in court.

As a player trying to reach the professional level you will sacrifice a lot of things. Almost to the point of not knowing who you are. But if you don't sell your soul, then you stay pure.

Table Tennis is already treated second class, and it a shame when you have companies in the table tennis industry that have the same attitude (USA Sellers of Butterfly), and that is what is keeping our sport down.

Some people are trying to change the culture, and some people are trying to take advantage of it. If you take a look at the USA Seller of the insect and the DTT Movement you can clearly tell who is trying to change the culture, and who is trying to maintain their status as the top low baller

Man, I can talk about this type of stuff all day.

Pacer
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 5:53am

USA Sellers of Butterfly.........now that is funny. Maybe I will call them that for now on.
I created Dynamic Harmony in 1989, and I never said it out loud until the Textbook Table Tennis Video came out. I sat on it for 20 years because if I had said it in 1994, it would have ended up in someone's book. Now, it's going to end up in my book. It is copyrighted and trademarked, so if anyone wants to steal it and make it their own, I will see them in court.

Don't take what I said personally Brian. It was just a silly guess of what could happen. But it's nice to see your living to what you have lived for. But what if there's a scheme to copy and kinda change some things to make it their own? Most of that happens in some people's life. I even experienced it in an online game. I raged for days.... Anyways let's just call Butterfly USA, USA SELLERS OF OVERPRICED BUTTERFLY PRODUCTS. If you convert some currencies from Yen to Dollars, you can see some are really overpriced.

As a player trying to reach the professional level you will sacrifice a lot of things. Almost to the point of not knowing who you are. But if you don't sell your soul, then you stay pure.

I just have one question. How can you reach professional level without selling your soul to a company to get equipment? I mean some players deserve to be sponsored but can't. Some got in because there dad is sponsored. And some just plays for fun without winning titles. The point is you can't get into PRO level without selling your soul. If there's a single non sponsored player out there who got into the Top Ranks, pinch me. (Don't punch meConfused)

Table Tennis is already treated second class, and it a shame when you have companies in the table tennis industry that have the same attitude (USA Sellers of Butterfly), and that is what is keeping our sport down.

Tell that to Adham Sharara and to Mr.Hikosuke Tamasu Let's just hope no one from the US Sellers of Butterfly is reading this or else those things I said that could happen will happen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 6:49am
OK. You are asking all the right questions for a real philosophical debate about table tennis, and I will give you my take on it.

OK, my response to your first statement. I know there will be people that will steal these concepts, and try to make them their own. That is fine, because I'm the original and a copy can never be as good as the original.   I have had coaches in England contact me to say they will use Dynamic Harmony, but will give me credit for it. I have so many concepts, theories, and approaches that bring my DVD Series full circle that I really won't have the energy to worry about someone changing a word or 2 to make it theirs. I think people like you are going to see right through it. It is easier to fool the population than it is to fool 1 person. I'm banking on the people like you to see behind the curtain.

Now, you second question that really opens up the debate. Let me first tell you that being sponsored IS an illusion, and I'll explain to you how. When you look at the culture of table tennis, anybody that has talent is trying their best to be sponsored. Not for the money, because there is none. It is for the fame. But what fame? The culture is set up to has every player with talent wanting to be sponsored, and the companies wait until you are marketable, then you get sponsored. You get the 50 sheets of rubber, 2 rackets, 2 t-shirts, 3 shoes, warm-up, glue, and other small items that actually equal about $2500.00.

Now the company blast your image, results, and titles to the world and get all the financial rewards. And the sponsored player is happy to have their name and face on the roster as being sponsored. That is selling your soul, and it cost $3000.00 per year. I have played table tennis for 24 years, and I have paid at least $20K per year, and adding $3K more won't change the world. I started being promoted really hard in 1999 when I won the Collegiate Singles. So I had been playing 14 years, and spent $280K so far, and signed a racket deal. So the company waited for me to get to a level that I was marketable. Over the next 10 years, that company would make 1.2 Million Dollars in profits off my name, and I walked away making about $18K. That is not even enough to pay for my table tennis expenses for 1 year.

When I look back at it in retrospect, I never needed to be sponsored if the distribution was going to be so lopsided. One of my best friends, Todd Sweeris, comes from a family that is well off and he never needed to be sponsored. When I walked away from the USA Sellers, I was still Brian Pace. I still had my titles. I still had my respect from my peers. Everything that I am stayed the same. But the USA Sellers have to go out and find another person that has invested at least 15 years to be a top player, and start the same cycle all over. The word on the street is the Butterfly Brian Pace racket will be the Stefan Feth racket. Nice upgrade for the USA sellers, and the cycle stays the same.    

Khoa Ngyen did not need to be sponsored. He was, but didn't need it as he makes enough money in his business life. Any player that is 2500 does not need to be sponsored. Robert Roberts, a friend of mine that is over 2550 will be able to play the same amount of tournaments if he were not with Spintech. Ragu N, a friend of mine, is NOT sponsored and is 2450 and has never been sponsored.

When Marcus was having the tournament of his life, I was happy for him, but sad for the system that is in place. Because the company he is sponsored by is going to get all the financial rewards from his performance. Marcus's family is well off, and he does NOT need to be sponsored.

I spent my life chasing the thought of being a Professional Table Tennis player, but ALL it did was cost. But the job of a Table Tennis professional does not have that type of pressure, because you will providing a service like coaching, coaching clinics, or running a tournament. Those jobs pay. Example, Ernesto Ebuen was present at the Cary Cup as the coach for Michael Landers, and he went on to say that coaching is "No Pressure" because you get paid no matter what.

I'm not disillusioned with table tennis, I have just pulled the curtain back to realize that the people promoting me have no interest in me getting a financial return in my 24 year investment.

I just know that after looking at my career in the sport I see no benefits to being sponsored. Every video you see me in front of the camera on the USA Sellers website, I wrote, scripted, story-boarded, shot, edit, and produced. I was the only person in the room. I got the knowledge from spending over $500K. That was paying for my Table Tennis PhD. So I'm a table tennis professional, a specialist. And upper-management is a couple of table tennis executives that don't know how to sell anything themselves. Phew, that was deep.

I hope the DTT movement does a couple of things, and first one is it shed some light on the culture of table tennis. The rules that are in place favor the companies. If the culture requires us to make 6 figures, we would. You can't name 1 player in North America that is making enough money from their sponsor to say I'm a table tennis professionals. My hidden agenda for a person to look at the vision we are trying to create for table tennis an support it.

I"m free, so the USA Sellers can say whatever they want, but they can't actually do NOTHING. I got the email addresses of some executives of the ORIGINAL SELLERS in Tokyo. I'll say one thing about them having been there at least 5 times to train................THEY ARE AN HONORABLE CULTURE.

OK, I'm going to put this conversation to bed, because I can go for days.

Pacer Out!
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 8:59am
That's way too deep Brian. Thanks for saying this. This changes everything. I always thought being sponsored was getting all the products you want + training with the reward money being mine. Now I know.....
So you actually pay the sponsor $3K and they get all your financial rewards? That's sh*t man. I always thought players can earn money like in baseball.....
But Brian, if you knew this, why did you continue being sponsored? How did you get such money to pay your sponsor? I know that you were a private coach and they pay more but it looks impossible to get that kind of money just through coaching.

If this is the road to being a professional, I'll take it without a sponsor. Taking the easy road(being sponsored) isn't going to do you anything. Taking the hard road will build character. The kind of character that will lead you to success.
(I took it from a book I read. I edited it a little and it looks epic)
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 12:21pm

Speedy

Sorry to hear you had a rough tournament. The tournament is getting stronger, and we ain't getting no younger. We compete hard, and that is what we really live for.

No problem about the hijack of the post, but Pho is on you.

Take care, and heal well buddy

Brian

There are some restaurants are really good on Capital Blvd.  We will go there for Pho next time Smile
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 12:45pm
Its always about the money. This is our capitalist society. You can look at the World Baseball Classic for instance. The USA is the least cohesive of all the teams, and while all the players were MLB players, the list was far from a "dream team" status. This is all driven by the fact that these guys are getting 9 mill a year so they dont really care about anything. Then you look at a team like Japan, or Korea for instance, where they are very cohesive and its all about the team, and you can see this by how they work together. Same thing in table tennis. In china they dont care about your money, they find the talent, train it like hell, and they have success about it. But once again that IS communism. Notice that the USSR has the third highest medal count in the world, even though it was disbanded yeats ago. Not only that you kind of miss out on the education, where as in Japan you train a bit, but then you go live your life, Mizutani Jun is now attending Meiji University. In america, if you dont have the money, sucks for you in reality. Coaches cost money, tournament fees, etc.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic