Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

5ply wood blade, comparisons?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5ply wood blade, comparisons?
    Posted: 06/11/2010 at 4:45am
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 5ply wood blade, but don't know which one. It should be slower then a TBS and have some more flex. Could someone tell something about their experiences with blades in this category? Important factors are not too heavy and stiff and no large head size.

Would like to know more about:
- yasaka extra
- donic dicon
- tibhar s. alpha
- stiga oc

Maybe some other ones worth mentioning?
Thanks!
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 6:37am
Anyone? Ermm
* Vega Pro / Europe
atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 6:46am
hey karabijntje why don't you try a Stiga OC or OC CR? great 5 ply blade. Lots of feeling en enought speed. What level are you playing in de Dutch competition? could be important by the choice of your blade. Stiga OC CR with Stiga boost TS is working for me. Hurricane Hao is also worth mentioning by the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 7:24am
Thanks atin, i play northern division. I've been thinking about the OC, but read several posts where people are saying it has nasty vibrations. Does the CR coating make much of a difference? How does this affect speed, dwell time and feeling?

I'm also interested in the dicon and extra, could someone with experience with this blades tell something about them?
* Vega Pro / Europe
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 7:35am
Stiga sucks, I tried NCT offensive and it wasn't bad, but the finishing of the blade is ugly. On the first day of using it I had to take the rubber, the top ply got splintered and a chunk got taken off.. this never happened with me before.

Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 8:05am
Just seal your blade, than you have no problems. The finishing of some Stiga blades might be a little rougher than some other brands but they don't suck. This can happen to any blades unsealed blades using these new glues. It happened to my HH long time ago , so be carefull Sallom with yours Wink
atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 8:48am

i have OC non WRB and OC CR non WRB pen version, and yes the CR does feel a little more solid than normal OC and a little less vibration and little more speed. but still lots of feeling

So Sallom, we proberbly see your Stiga Offensive NCT penhold in the for sale/trade sectionBig%20smile
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 9:03am
I have played with Dicon and Yasaka Extra. The Dicon is great for looping, in my experience about as fast as 729 Bomb, but with more feel and a bit more flex.
The Yasaka is a bit slower, but has more touch and creates more spin. I like both blades, but because I like more feedback from the blade, I currently play with the Butterfly Timo Boll Off-. It is speed wise about the same as the Yasaka Extra, but has more dwell, so more spin. However, if you are sensitive to vibration, this might have too much feedback from hitting the ball for you.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 9:44am
Originally posted by atin atin wrote:

i have OC non WRB and OC CR non WRB pen version, and yes the CR does feel a little more solid than normal OC and a little less vibration and little more speed.�but still lots of feeling

So Sallom, we proberbly see�your Stiga Offensive NCT penhold in the for sale/trade sectionBig%20smile

Don't think I'll sell it, I don't know how to post stuff in regular mail and I don't have experience in it :O
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by karabijntje karabijntje wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 5ply wood blade, but don't know which one. It should be slower then a TBS and have some more flex. Could someone tell something about their experiences with blades in this category? Important factors are not too heavy and stiff and no large head size.

You just described an Avalox Blue Thunder 550.  It's designed for close to table play and great for looping.  Does not have enough speed to play far from table.  Mates well with harder rubbers.  I tried T05 on it, and yes it was faster but felt somewhat odd with flexible blade and spring sponge both combining speed at different gears.  It's on the lighter side, at about 79g.  Head size is average.  If you like controlled looping, it's great.

EDIT: forgot to mention, don't use any rubbers under 2.0mm thickness on the BT550.  The blade will vibrate like crazy!  I tried some thinner JUIC Scramble 1.5mm rubber just for fun and it drove me nuts with the vibration.

Here are some reviews of it:
http://avalox.oneofakindtrading.com.au/Avalox-BT550.php
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32039&PID=390341

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 5:10am
Thanks for the info all. I was looking at the construction of the blades, here's a nice topic on it: Blade's Composition List. Looks like dicon and OC (new) have the same wood types. (limba-spruce-ayous-spruce-limba) Is there anyone who has used these blades?
* Vega Pro / Europe
tompy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 7:12am
I would guess the difference between two of these blades same type but different weigth can be more then between two of different type same weigth. I prefer the heavier ones with oc that,s for sure, more stable, better flathitting. Dicon I have ample experience. If you,re almost pure looper you can use max sponge with them if you want more all performance combining flat strokes and topspin max is 2,0. As these blades have some give in flexibility and softness bottoming out with 2,0 is not that much a problem and control for shortgame increases a lot.I would not bother the type of blade too much but more the weigth and balance you prefer.
If you want better quality same type of blade the Dhs Hurrican Hao I play  is significantly better in my opinion.  Nice allround offensive blade with 2,0 sponge. Thicker sponge it becomes a pure loopers blade also.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 9:58am
Originally posted by pushchop pushchop wrote:

You just described an Avalox Blue Thunder 550.  It's designed for close to table play and great for looping.  Does not have enough speed to play far from table.  Mates well with harder rubbers.  I tried T05 on it, and yes it was faster but felt somewhat odd with flexible blade and spring sponge both combining speed at different gears.  It's on the lighter side, at about 79g.  Head size is average.  If you like controlled looping, it's great.

As my main blade for the last year, I can vouch for this blade.

Similar but superior to OC in virtually every way except for smashing and blocking.

It's ridiculously easy to loop with. Superb control for over the table.

It's also good right out to mid distance paired with faster rubbers. Not good for far from table.

What level of play / rating / style are you?

I know this is a "beginning intermediate" (US800-1400) blade - but I know several players around 1700 (control loopers/ off the bounce blockers) who also use  it).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

What level of play / rating / style are you?

I know this is a "beginning intermediate" (US800-1400) blade - but I know several players around 1700 (control loopers/ off the bounce blockers) who also use  it).

icontek, you asking me or karabijntie?   I'm cpen rpb player.  No rating, haven't entered any tournaments.  Been playing 1+ yrs and practice 5 days a week with hitting partners + robot.  I play for fun mostly but things seem to be headed towards more serious play since my practice partners are serious club players.  Smile

The BT550 is suitable for lots of players, even me.  I only switched to stiffer/faster gear because all my practice partners are roughly in the US1600-2000 range and play a faster game (damn you Tenergy Wink), and the BT550 just cannot force enough offensive positions for me.  So now I am loop driving most of my shots, throwing in occasional slow brush loops and chops.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 10:04pm
OK, I have all of them, with the exception that the Extra is the 3D version.

Extra 3D is medium slow in speed.  Good feedback.  A really good looping blade.  Too bad, I have the Extra 3D and not the original Extra.  So I can't really help you here about Extra.  For Extra 3D, it has 3 slots going inside the handle, making this blade elastic.  The good thing for elastic blade is that it can catapult your shot greatly, giving extra kick and spin in your shots.  However, the bad thing is that for blocking or smashing, it is not good unless you can consistently hitting on the middle of sweet-spot.  Mine is 83 grams only, so it is quite light.

Samsonov Alpha is a unique blade.  It has small head, so you will have problem using your rubbers for other blades, since most (if not all) of them are bigger.  Although it is thin but it is stiff, yet has soft feeling, making it a good balanced blade.  It is good for looping (soft surface, good dwell time) and good for hitting / blocking (because it is stiff).  But being stiff and soft, it has no catapult effect, so your shots will be linear, meaning what you give is what you get.  For controlled offensive style, this is one of the best blade.  Too bad, the head size is small and it is quite light (mine is 83 grams only).

Dicon is a good blade.  I have one, but not J.O. Waldner Dicon, but Master Dicon (same thing, as I have verified this with Donic).  Mine is about 87 or 89 grams (can't remember), so weight is good for me.  Now, it is quite stiff at the beginning, especially for slow to medium fast strokes.  But if you swing hard, it is a bit flexible, so you get the catapult effect also.  So it is stable for short game (not flexible) but catapult your shots when you hit hard (a bit flexible).   Of course, I am saying this based on playing with All+/Off- wood blades which are usually soft and quite flexible.  If you compare with composite blades, Dicon is considered quite flexible.  This is a better option compared to OC-CR, as I found OC-CR too flexy and vibrates too much (especially the WRB version).

OC-CR  WRB (83 grams) and non-WRB (86/87 grams, can't remember specifically).  Non-WRB is more balanced and has less vibration (still vibrates quite strong).  I think because it is only 5.5 mm in thickness (as supposed to Dicon which is 5.7 - 5.8 mm in thickness).  It is a good looping blade but not too good for smashing / blocking because it is springy and quite flexible.  Dicon is better in this aspect and still OK for looping. 

I wish I have more to write but it has been years since I used them, so those comments are from memory.  Hope it helps.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 10:11pm
Speed =
Samsonov Alpha < Extra 3D < OC-CR < Dicon

Alpha is All+/Off-
Extra 3D and OC-CR are Off-
Dicon is high-end of Off-

Flexibility (flexy to stiff)=
Extra 3D > OC-CR > Dicon > Samsonov Alpha
(therefore catapult effect also the same)

Looping =
Extra 3D > OC-CR = Dicon > Alpha (but Alpha is not that far behind)

Smashing =
Alpha > Dicon > OC-CR = Extra 3D

Better for smashing does not mean it is faster, but it is easier to perform.  Speed still Dicon is the fastest (but remember, the weight plays significant role here).

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 11:22pm
Sorry pushchop!

i was asking  karabijntje - and agreeing with your description!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 3:47am
@icontek
I'm an offensive shakehand player, FH loop and BH block punch mostly. I don't know my rating. Playing for about 15 years now, started when i was around 13 years.

@doraemon
Thanks, great information. I'm leaning towards a dicon at the moment. The yasaka extra still seems attractive aswell. I heared many people now the OC vibration is bothering them, so i guess that one is going of the list most likely...

Anyone with info on a waldner senso V1? (yellow handle)
* Vega Pro / Europe
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 6:19am

Xiom Aria is basically a BT555/BT550. Composition is the same: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba.

Don't know the thicknesses of the Blue Thunders, but Aria is 6.4mm. Soft and stiff. Soft for looping, stiff and thick for good blocking and smashing. Short game touch is also good.

Xiom just came out with Aria Lite which is a thinner blade at 5.7mm. I think the original Aria is perfect, the thinner version is bound to lose stiffness and explosiveness/power.

Xiom straight handle is squarish and thick, so good for big hands. Flared handle is also very nice, and smooth.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 6:46am

@icontek
I'm an offensive shakehand player, FH loop and BH block punch mostly. I don't know my rating. Playing for about 15 years now, started when i was around 13 years.

@doraemon
Thanks, great information. I'm leaning towards a dicon at the moment. The yasaka extra still seems attractive aswell. I heared many people now the OC vibration is bothering them, so i guess that one is going of the list most likely...

Anyone with info on a waldner senso V1? (yellow handle)

Dicon sounds like a better fit. A player with your experience would likely find the BT550/555 too slow!

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Xiom Aria is basically a BT555/BT550. Composition is the same: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba.

The 550 is both soft and FLEXIBLE. Unlike the Aria, it was not designed for smashing or passive blocking.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 7:39am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Xiom Aria is basically a BT555/BT550. Composition is
the same: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba.

The 550 is both soft and FLEXIBLE. Unlike the Aria, it was not designed for smashing or passive blocking.

Ah, then Aria must be the improved version of BT550. :) Aria Lite is probably more like the BT 550.
Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 8:38am
uff, no way, Aria is at least two classes faster than AVX 550. And absolutely no soft feel. It has thick spruce and thick limba outer plies so it is at least medium or medium hard feel.

550 is soft and flex, its paper thin(slightly over 5mm) with big spring. All+/low Off-. It is slower than Primorac OFF- while Aria (6.4mm) is faster than Korbel Off.

I can say that new Aria Lite is Donic Dicon or Stiga OC or BT 555 clone with approximately same thickness and ply structure. Old Aria is much stiffer and faster.
Yasaka Extra 3D
T05 1.9
Baracuda 1.8
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 10:01am
"Absolute no soft feel" -- that seems excessive description. Surely the Aria (limba-top, no carbon) cannot be hard. I have a Galaxy K4 (koto-top, with kevlar-carbon) that is about same speed, but definitely not the same hardness. Comparing K4 and Aria, K4 would be hard and fast, Aria would be soft and fast.
Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 10:28am
ok lets say medium feel if you compare it to koto and fibers blades, but woods with thicker spruce layer like DHS Hurricane King or Yasaka Ma Lin EO are considered as harder feel than usual limba classics. Second layer affects overall feel quite significantly, especially when top ply is thin.
Yasaka Extra 3D
T05 1.9
Baracuda 1.8
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 3:17pm
As I have already mentioned a few times, among 5-plies wood blades for me nothing beats (so far) Nexy Color. It's an OFF-/OFF class blade - read the review on it among recent threads.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 5:13pm

Don't know the thicknesses of the Blue Thunders, but Aria is 6.4mm. Soft and stiff. Soft for looping, stiff and thick for good blocking and smashing. Short game touch is also good.

Xiom just came out with Aria Lite which is a thinner blade at 5.7mm. I think the original Aria is perfect, the thinner version is bound to lose stiffness and explosiveness/power.

Xiom straight handle is squarish and thick, so good for big hands. Flared handle is also very nice, and smooth.

xiom aria is not basically a bt550/bt555. And the second layer is not spruce. And the bts are thinner blades.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 9:19pm
What is the second layer of Aria? How thin are the BTs?
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Salamandr Salamandr wrote:

ok lets say medium feel if you compare it to koto and fibers blades, but woods with thicker spruce layer like DHS Hurricane King or Yasaka Ma Lin EO are considered as harder feel than usual limba classics. Second layer affects overall feel quite significantly, especially when top ply is thin.

Ma Lin EO is hard because of the top-ply, walnut. No?

Hurricane King is hard because of the top-ply, Koto.

Can you tell me what you would consider to be a soft and fast blade (apart from hinoki 1-ply).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 11:10am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

As I have already mentioned a few times, among 5-plies wood blades for me nothing beats (so far) Nexy Color. It's an OFF-/OFF class blade - read the review on it among recent threads.

Thanks JimT, it looks very tempting. Could someone explain the differences between limba and hinoki outer plies?
* Vega Pro / Europe
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 11:55am

- yasaka extra
- donic dicon
- tibhar s. alpha
- stiga oc
Maybe some other ones worth mentioning?
Thanks!
other significants worth looking into are:
- Darker 5P-2A (3 Hinoki & 2 Power Wood?), I borrowed 1 ST from a local friend, o man..this is really nice and for some reason, it's not that expensive.
- PKorbel, of course
- Oh Sang Eun is another good 1 as good as PKorbel
- Avalox BT 555 is also 1 of my favourites
- HS Cryzer is another 5 ply Hinoki wood blade
so is
- Jonyer H
plus all the above are quite affordable.
Nexy Color is a new kid in town but to me personally, as a 5 ply all wood, it's a bit steep in $$$$, then what is good for 1 may not be good for others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic