Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Australia vs Hong Kong HD BOZ BH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australia vs Hong Kong HD BOZ BH
    Posted: 04/03/2009 at 8:15am

please watch it in HD
press the HD button after you press the play button

I am the one with my back to the camera on the left most the time.

I made this video recently which is very clear and I wanted to just focuss on close to the table play mostly.  My opponent who is Cantonese always plays to my backhand so there is very little FH.  Also I can't remember what the red rubber is... if it is Bryce speed or t64, the black is t05 for sure,  I recorded this all a couple of months ago I think... 

Anyhow please give me any kind of feed back from stylistic to this video presentation...
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 8:51am
I wish my FH could improve to the same level as my BH.  BH just gets so much practise... most people just keep going there.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 9:13am
Thanks for posting. I don't know why but this is pretty much how I was imagining you would play in my head. Sad Tim's gone now...good player.
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 9:24am
He hasn't gone anywhere, just not available to play as much as we used to.  We actually just played about 3 hours ago.

Up to about 6 months ago I saw him as the closest thing to a coach that Ive ever had and improved more playing him than anyone else.  The reason was that his level was always much higher than mine, he was always in the A grade.  Now I believe we are equal, although he has more correct technique, I have more weirdness.

He uses t05 both sides on Maze alc, I feel its a little slow and a bit easier to just block him more than when he used speed glued Bryce.

I used to be a player that automatically moves back from the table but now I've started blocking right off the bounce a lot more easily I think because of the tenergy partly and the ishlion has a hell of a lot of control at the table.  Equally important is stylistic change: its actually pretty hard to block or counter loop really fast players when you don't take it early.  He is more of an All round attacker now, he just plays about 10% as much as me and as a result his level has stagnated or possibly started to backslide.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 10:54am
I'll permit myself to make a comment. I assume that's why you posted it :)

While the technique of every individual stroke may be perfected through lots of practice, such as your backhand, which seems to be good, the "game" in it's entirety can falter when other parameters are lacking.

It seems you're being chased around the court alot, due to a very firm stance. Your posture is a bit too stiff/upright, which makes it hard for you to be explosive and move in position to make an appropriate stroke. I think it would do you good, if you're not already doing so, to run some exhaustive legwork drills like Falkenberg, or the "1-2 FH loop" drill as i call it, where your partner puts 1 OR 2 balls over the side of the table, and 1 OR 2 towards the middle of the table. You'll use FH only to return each ball. This element of surprise, combined with the extreme positioning of the balls as well as the return requirement, will shape up your posturing/teach you how you'll be punished for not being fast/agile.

Not sure the point is getting across in this text, but that's just a quick observation from my part : )
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 11:07am
Thanks for that zrrbite, I agree my footwork exists in a strange way.  A lot of people say I am a great fisher and have very fast court speed. 

But I know that is totally different to moving my feet to hit the ball correctly at the table or like, I have a lot of weird sidespin stretching cramping leaning reaching weird shots!

Recently I feel lazier and lazier and your suggestion of drills is a good idea.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 11:14am
oh, can anyone guess the music?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 12:30pm
I noticed you have this habit of guessing where the ball will go without the proper ready position. I suggest while you're chasing or just getting into place, your racket should be in front of you so you can change from forehand or backhand in a second or so. Together with zrrbite's suggestion, I think you 'll change from fisher to counterlooper.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 1:00pm
Yo Boz, which one are you?

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 1:12pm
lol for a second i thought he was the kid on the right.. and in my head i said to myself "that's not at all how i pictured him!!!" but that was before i saw the guy on the left and said "oh wait.. thats a lot more like it"
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 1:36pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acyflyhUAyE&feature=related hey boz is this you and that girl who is #4 for australian women? good fight!

theres another related video of you and a penholder.. Have you posted these before? sorry if i missed them and am reposting. Smile
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 2:09pm
You need to show the larger video where I can see your footwork before we can give you an accurate response.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 3:30pm
OK... just my opinion.
Seems like you are blocking on the FH a lot in this video. You are not making a FH stroke on the ball very often. So the topic subject is right.LOL Looks a bit weird in this vid.
I have a similar problem, BH is much better and consistent than forehand. My forehand gets cramped and I get tense...then I start blocking and pushing when I should be attacking. I would say just attack every ball on the FH no matter what and forget about the score. Sooner or later the FH will come in right. Maybe get with a coach on your FH to re-map your muscle memory, then just start attacking and use your feet to take more of those strokes on the FH. Seems like speedy has a point in saying that he needs to see the larger vid with footwork...cause it seems you could be pivoting and taking more on the FH than you are.

P.S. if the other videos are of you, seems like your FH is very good so I am confusedConfused
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 4:15pm
im still confused on which one you are.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 7:18pm
my back is turned, you can't see my face.  I am not asian. For those people who don't know who I am. 

Ritkuro, that's right: I have a very different grip to most people.  You can see I often choke the blade high, I sometimes hold the blade between bh & fh, but mostly guess which way and then have a very strong backhand grip or a very strong fh grip- so if I guess wrong or don;t get the direction I want - I also have a very weak bh & fh.  Its actually both a curse and my advantage.  In this video Tim was trying to punish me for using that grip, but actually over the last 6 months I usually beat him since I can block almost any of his shots that I can reach and on top of that I can power up random shots. 

This fh grip Im talking about is actually something I have been working on since I got t05, I have found that I can do a lot of over the table stuff with it on short serves I could never do before.  This video doesnt show any of this, since I did no turning.

Beeray thanks yes that's her, that video was 5 weeks ago which means, I play her and Stanley (team) again this Monday again.  We have a 10 week season & play each team twice.

And today we have a graded tournament, doubt I will face her though.  I played the no.5 sister last night and she just paralyzed me.  I got the first game of the no.5 a couple of weeks ago and then the she beat me by a couple of points each game after that so maybe I'm getting closer, but those girls are so misleading when comes to how good they look.  I always seem to think oh yea, nothing special until they just shut you down.Cry 
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 7:41pm
From an outsiders viewpoint, I think the grip is more of a curse than an advantage. (sorry) With your index finger high on the rubber your forehand should improve, but it will immobilize your wrist during BH. All that switching up, and "guessing" will hinder you in the long run I think. You are a much better player than I am so these are just observations from the peanut gallery. What does your coach say?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 7:47pm
The more I watch this  clip the more I think red rubber must have been bryce speed, which made me play very cautiously with it, except for a few drives.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 8:09pm
I have never had a coach, the guy Im playing is the closest thing to a coach Ive ever had, and all he ever did was just play me every week, and help me when I would ask a question about something...

The coach of the juniors says I am a very tricky player, which may mean awkward. 

That weird grip allows me to do quite strange inside out spin where most people would never see it, and also attack much sooner than most euro shakehander could. 

Im trying to come closer to a chinese flick graze..
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 10:58pm
Your backhand mechanics look solid!

But your FH grip and lack of any actual "stroke" (you are guiding, or at best "actively FH blocking" the ball) limit your options for creating power.

Serious question - Boz - how long have you played with OFF+ gear?

I'm sure it's addictive and makes your backhand very powerful (blocking, topspinning, etc). But many of the middle/high level players at our club who have played with OFF+ gear for any extended period have also developed small/awkward FH mechanics. I'd describe it as "tentative" because they find that larger strokes with lots of ballspeed and little dwell time) tend to produce a longer ball.

My advice would be to grab a Primorac with unglued Sriver FX 2.1 on both sides and just practice FH *stroking* EVERY ball. With that kind of gear, you'll have to work to generate the power, but you'll develop the control to vary spin and placement with your topspin; rather than tentatively guiding the ball with your FH as you do in your video.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 11:45pm
icontek- "My advice would be to grab a Primorac with unglued Sriver FX 2.1 on both sides and just practice FH *stroking* EVERY ball."

I think this is pretty solid advice, he may not have to go THAT slow, I mean that is basically what I am playing with... (Refoma 2.2 on Appelgren Allplay Senso V2  -or- Primorac OFF- TSP REAL 2.0) and while it is fast, it is controlled. What I agree on 100% is stroking the ball instead of blocking. I have to say I think a coach would help immensely -- with footwork and also with FH technique. The footwork will get you there first and then the technique will give you confidence under fire to counter attack on the forehand instead of blocking.
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 11:48pm
I suggest you follow what Kreanga said in his training video
"Keep the grip steady and the same. When you advance to another level, you can change it like me" or something like that.

I agree with both icontek and dauntless. Grab Primorac with Srivers. Tenergy has a hard feel from what I remember. You need full swing just to get the ball sink in the rubber. Instead of counterhitting, you're blocking (That's why it's perfect for Timo Boll. He always blocks) You will develop a defensive style when the time comes. I remember you saying your not that type of player who actually trains. You just play games right? I suggest you switch those to things. Now you must train more than you play games. You already spent years with "playing" and you developed confidence, how to keep the ball in play, etiquette, and all those things you can learn just by playing games. Why not train?
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 4:24am
I want to add that after going to slower equipment, my game has improved a lot. I have heard this from other players as well. Comparing racing to TT...TT is cool because with just a little bit of money you can buy the equivalent of a super car. Problem is, that most of us don't know how to drive a supercar. Even if we THINK we know how, maybe all we can do is power slide or straight line acceleration, but we won't become schumacher ust because we have a $500k car. My point it, that with maybe just a fast car, like the EVO Lancer, we could do just fine on the track.

Getting back to TT, when I tried the slower setup, I was initially kind of pissed. I couldn't do what I could before on the FH. No amazing holes in opponents foreheads... but... I started landing more loops. I stopped that annoying FH block or knee jerk push and started attacking, flipping, and looping balls I was afraid of before.

Guess what happened...?
My opponents sarted being more careful of my FH and that messed them up. Before that was the attack zone for them, or at the very least part of the setup for the kil on 3rd or 5th ball. Now that I am countering, their rythm is not able to gel and I am getting more matches and closer games.

Post another vid soon.
See if you can get a coach and listen to them a bit. I listen about 90% to my coach. The other 10% .... oh well, no one is perfect.LOL
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 7:34am
Wow thanks for the advice.

1. I have gone back and forth from fast to slow equipment, and the verdict, I make just as many mistakes with slow equipment or the other player has no problems A) getting to the ball B) returning the ball.

2.  I find tenergy 05 in particular actually the easiest to loop with, much easier than sriver

3.  My ishlion isn't as fast as a lot of blades that I have used, and yes I have in my cupboard even slower blades, lots of them, but finally they don't make me get the ball on the table more...

If Aything I think I would use the boll alc if I didnt have a problem with the weight.

Having said all this, I just came back from the tournament:

I beat Stanley (about 200 points above me)  the guy who beat 16:14 in the 5th in the other posts,
I lost to another guy in A grade singles who is also 200 points above me (in the 5th) and then beat him (in the 5th) in the restricted singles.  I also beat another guy who is the same level as me supposedly...

So all Im saying is something is working, and believe it or not I use that silly forehand grip most time and loop with it. 

This video was very one sided since Im pretty sure I was twiddling to avoid the bryce speed which just doesnt suit me with out glue.

Oh I drank about 6 beers during the tournament, that's what my coach told me to do..Wink
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 9:57am
I have decided to upload the second half of the recording playing Tim, because I actually set camera zoomed more out after the break and we changed ends.  So you will be able to see more of me and my face ;) (know you are all just dying to see how handsome my face is...

Ok, more seriously I think I tried to use a bit more forehand after our beer and smoke break...

Stay tuned for the next episod which I will post here in about 8 hours, since thats how dam long it takes to upload!
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 10:35am
Thinking thinking thinking... about what you guys are saying.  Actually, Tim is one of a few smarter players who will just keep playing to your backhand and I have played him long enough to know that I should never move back from the table unless I have lifted the ball.

About a year ago I moved back against every good attacker not just him, but have only recently started to play more "intelligently, trying to force myself to stay at the table, even though I don't enjoy it.  Staying at the table has improved my game about 50%. 

Most the people here are saying I have no forehand, but the reality is that my opponent almost always goes to my forehand only when he is attacking.  The realistic side of counter looping his attacking loops is I have no idea if he is going to go left. middle, elbow or to my forehand.  He is very diseptive when I allow him to stay closer.  So I make him move back to get the time he needs to stroke.  The only way I counter loop them is if I take a few steps back and that's when he goes wider on me and he takes advantage there.

So I could very easily post vid here of me playing a lower ranked player and you would see me use about 90% forehand, because they aren't as smart as he is.  Almost every time I shift to receive he goes wide, or if he thinks I might turn for any shot on the backhand end he will go wide on my Fh.  This is what I mean - he is my very good practise partner who has made me learn to protect my BH.  Its 2 sided though, I am his very good practise partner who will just block endlessly for him to improve his stroke.  ... lol
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 11:09am
I dunno guys I have mixed feelings about the "your setup is too fast" feedback. There's a couple of really good 2200+ players at my club that think my setup is too fast (ALC+T05 on the FH), but I don't find that its too fast... I'm not having problems keeping it on the table. My footwork is the big killer. I can brush loop, counter drive, touch shots, and control loop off backspin very easily with T05, so its not like I'm out of control. I'm just not in the right position all the time.

I think at a certain level, you can tell if somethings too fast for you, and you should just go with what is comfortable.

I didn't really see it in your vids, but I think if you are having problems pushing and blocking too much, or too much of the "fly swatter" shot (a combo of a counter drive and a block) when you should be looping or counter attacking, I would say its just a bad habit, not the equipment. You need to get some multi ball training. Find a really good player who can return all of your shots but move you around the table and do some drills moving from different points on the table going in between fh and bh... Or if your partner isn't good enough to return your shots consistently, get a bucket of balls and have them stand to the side just putting balls into play one after another... I think theres some videos of Timo training like this. But you have a robot right?

I've had a problem with being tentative with my fh and doing too much blocking and fly-swatting and multi ball has been the best solution to this.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 11:15am
...and I think T05 is fine for anybody at a certain level, not just great players. Its not for beginners, but its easier to get used to than people like to think.

The main place Tenergy can really mess you up is in service return. If someone has some really good spinny serves, Tenergy will make those serves even harder to handle.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 4:49pm
Here I am not hiding!

Please watch in HD,

My favorite parts are:

0:35 seconds

Tim pays me back a beauty for getting 4 backhands in a row off him, really bloody hurt my eyeCry

1:20 - 1:27

Tim shows me why I should protect my backhand

4:30 - 4:55
We had 2 almost identical points where Tim runs past me on my side of the court.  The second time he tried it I said to him:

"I was going to hate you so much if you got that one in, I was going to kill you, I was going to get your wrist and twist it"

he had a bad tt wrist at that time

Thanks for the support Loopmeister, I agree with you its not about equipment at all.  I do realise I am way to stiff.  Actually I forgot how pigeon toed I am until I watch my self play. 

I will do some FH - footwork drills

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

The main place Tenergy can really mess you up is in service return. If someone has some really good spinny serves, Tenergy will make those serves even harder to handle.

This is half the reason why I've forced myself to get used to t64 instead of 05 on BH.  Against good servers 64 is much easier to just roll back the serve and produce a variety of spin returns, from heavy to zero spin...

Love my setup!
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 12:01am
Second video is great.  Remember any comments are meant to be constructive.
It seems like your backhand is your primary weapon. For example, at around :55 partner pops up a FH kill shot and you took it backhand. I think we all do this occasionally and it certainly doesn't define your play. But multiball and just moving will help. Seems like your FH is a little cramped from that clip...but still pretty good and consistent. Maybe just do FH and footwork drills like you said and I think you are going to be playing at an even higher level.

If your equipment is good, then it is good. Only you know that.  I am just saying that using slower equipment FORCED me to use better technique...becasue the faster stuff would compensate for my lack of technique. Then when I would get up against a better player I would be jammed up in the crossover and I would be forced to block and push.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic