Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Balance recovery - penhold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balance recovery - penhold
    Posted: 07/19/2011 at 10:40pm
This week I have a coach coming from China to live with with me to practice his English. Already after only a week of training with him, my game has greatly improved. However, I have run into a small issue. When doing a forehand loop, he taught me to lean entirely to the side while bending my left knee to the point where my hand is almost touching the ground and my weight has completely shifted to the side. (Watch Ma Lin if my explanation sucked). But when I do this, he's shot the ball to the opposite side of the table before I could even get back to neutral position. Like I said this is really hard to explain, but if you understand, please help me solve this.
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
Sponsored Links

atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 10:49pm
your FH wasn't powerful enough to push him away from the table so there was little time for recovery
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

your FH wasn't powerful enough to push him away from the table so there was little time for recovery

Well we play on the table in my family room and on his side, he has about five feet between the table and the wall. So unless I hit into the bathroom I can't push him back. Surely there's another solution?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Cho! Cho! wrote:

Well we play on the table in my family room and on his side, he has about five feet between the table and the wall. So unless I hit into the bathroom I can't push him back. Surely there's another solution?

atv has a point, but I'll get back to that in a moment. So are you using this loop on every shot? I know exactly what kind of forehand you are talking about, but its not a rally forehand, its just for finishing off points. Even Ma Lin can't recover from that shot all the time, but he doesn't have to, because its a forehand he'd try to end the point on. I don't think this is a shot you should use all the time unless the opportunity is there, like you moved your coach off to the right side of the table so you can hit the winner down the line. Also, do you use RPB? RPB kind of made it so that penholders didn't have to work as hard and didn't have to put themselves out of position like that, because its also a type of forehand you'd try to run around so you didn't have to hit the backhand. 
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

No, I use one wing jpen, which I think is why he' s stressing this maneuver. Btw what does a rally loop look like? If I learned how to that, it sounds like it would save both my energy and my back.

atv has a point, but I'll get back to that in a moment. So are you using this loop on every shot? I know exactly what kind of forehand you are talking about, but its not a rally forehand, its just for finishing off points. Even Ma Lin can't recover from that shot all the time, but he doesn't have to, because its a forehand he'd try to end the point on. I don't think this is a shot you should use all the time unless the opportunity is there, like you moved your coach off to the right side of the table so you can hit the winner down the line. Also, do you use RPB? RPB kind of made it so that penholders didn't have to work as hard and didn't have to put themselves out of position like that, because its also a type of forehand you'd try to run around so you didn't have to hit the backhand. 
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

No, I use one wing jpen, which I think is why he' s stressing this maneuver. Btw what does a rally loop look like? If I learned how to that, it sounds like it would save both my energy and my back.

I think this is a decent video to explain what I mean.

You can see that the penholder isn't doing anything special, his strokes are steady. It is NOT essential to do what you're doing unless you have been moved out of position or intend to finish off the point. I also think you can work on your TBH so as to not always be in compromising situations because of your forehand. Also adding power and spin to your drives, like atv said, will be very important, thats the whole point of being a single sided penholder. 
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2011 at 3:40pm

Can I know usually when you try the FH loop, where will be the ball go? The way that you hitting theb all for the loop, usually it is for a loop kill. And it is better you train more to get a better consistency, then hit it hard.

And I would say increase the speed, and also hit to both FH and BH side for the chance of 50-50. Usually when I do the loop as you say, the moment I have on myself will keep myself moving for a few more steps, and it is really that you don't have the time to recover it the opponent able to get it back.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic