Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balsa blades, are you a fan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Balsa blades, are you a fan?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [50.85%]
29 [49.15%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
batman1852 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batman1852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2009 at 7:23am
Nicefrog , don;t say things like this , keep you eyes open on the forsale column, i think there will be 1 Joola R1 blade, get all your info from T37, in a few weeks time, he can put the price in the ball and you can tell him where you wan;t it to land, and all he has to do is smack it , and you will get it fastttttttttttt, soommmmmmmmmm. 
and robin
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2009 at 7:28am
I love the feel of balsa blades as well... they seem to pair up well with Chinese rubbers too.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Valentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2009 at 7:42am
I tried the TSP 8.5. Crazy fast blade, but it feels like you are playing with a brick. No feeling at all, zero control. I can't believe the Joola is even faster.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2009 at 7:46am
The 8,5 is very fast indeed. I've compared ti side by side with the Joola, and they are about the same (insane) speed...

A blade like that is good for aa aggressive blocking/hitting style game, not for looping. I think they pair up with wioth Chinese rubbers as these rubbers tend to be slow in low impact, making play more controllable for that part of the game.

They make very good combination bats as well of course...although it's way too fast for my liking...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Tony T 37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony T 37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2009 at 8:35am
The Balsa blades from what I can see are all slightly differant, different thicknesses and different layers over the blade from a variety of woods, to glass, carbon and texalium.
My Donic Appelgren Dotec Control for example has an inner ply of ayous, a middle core of balsa and an outer layer of limba. The J/kool is mostly balsa but has a layer of pine tree limba and texalium. The Joola R*1 has an even thicker balsa core than the kool and a layer of limba. Therefore the playing characteristics will vary somewhat. How these type of blades play for you seems to depend very much on how you play the ball. My son for example used the Killerspin Fortissimo on my J/Kool and had much less trouble keeping the ball on the table than I did but has more trouble controlling the Bryce, while I find using the Bryce very easy.

Some interesting reviews about the Joola R*1 it on the forum on One Of A Kind Trading if any of you want to look it up.

Have just tried the Stiga Almana Sound 2.0mm on the forehand today and it was GREAT! I could control the loops and it played fantastic. The best forehand rubber I have tried on the Kool yet. I have a few more I will try but this one was impressive.

The J/Kool is my offensive blade but as I am a very curious fello, keen and adventurous and get a buzz out of experimenting and testing, I am also going to give the Joola R*1 a go but with long pips and chopping style rubbers. I like variety, and since I have come back to the sport I want to find out what style I am most effective with and have the most fun using.

These balsa based blades certainly provide the versatility I am looking for.

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 12:04am
There must be a huge step up from the TSP 6.5 to 8.5 then, because the 6.5 has a just right kind of speed about it. I've owned a Kool for a short time and comming off a DHS CW-C to the Kool, well huge speed difference!:) that scared me away from such off+ balsa's ever since, maybe I got an unusualy fast one (it was one of the early ones). This has been an interesting thread though as far as what rubbers work well on the faster balsa'. It seems everyone agrees that the harder non spring Chinese rubber works well as do the very low throw european rubbers.

This is worth a read,
http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/balsa_table_tennis_blades.htm

One thing about the composite balsa's that gives them an advantage is the almost edge to edge sweet spot, makes it very hard to miss time a shot which I think is a big advantage for a club level player that doesn't have pro like timing. I don't find my 6.5 to generate any less spin than normal wooden blades in the OFF range not even looping special types, but the 6.5 is still a little flexable and has a good dwell time, I guess because the limber and fibreglass layers are so thin. The Joola cat and Joola $heik I both have very thick outer plys but still have the balsa feel. They are also slow offensive blades and make good spin (but both are out of production:( )

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 1:38am
I have played with many, many blades over the last 20 years and at first I didn't like balsa blades. However, about 8 years ago I started to play with a Tibhar Patrick Chila blade which I really liked and stuck with for about 2 years. Then after that a Yasaka balsa (harder and stiffer).

I have been making blades for about 3 years and I always use balsa cores, but  I am pretty certain that many of them do not have a typical balsa feeling. Balsa varies greatly in weight and hardness and when you consider this with the variety of outer ply/gluing possibilities it's really hard to identify a "balsa feel".

That being said most of the thick, light blade structures use the lightest and softest types of balsa to keep the weight down. So any blades engineered to be really light and fast, will probably have that soft springy feel to them.  They will tend to be stiff because they have to be to thick to create speed. I think this is what most players think the "balsa feel" is, unfortunately is only a "balsa feel". A thin light core of balsa will play like a limp pillow unless you put some seriously hard outer layers on it.

HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 4:32am
Ouch
Originally posted by Blade Blade wrote:

I have played with many, many blades over the last 20 years and at first I didn't like balsa blades. However, about 8 years ago I started to play with a Tibhar Patrick Chila blade which I really liked and stuck with for about 2 years. Then after that a Yasaka balsa (harder and stiffer).

I have been making blades for about 3 years and I always use balsa cores, but  I am pretty certain that many of them do not have a typical balsa feeling. Balsa varies greatly in weight and hardness and when you consider this with the variety of outer ply/gluing possibilities it's really hard to identify a "balsa feel".

That being said most of the thick, light blade structures use the lightest and softest types of balsa to keep the weight down. So any blades engineered to be really light and fast, will probably have that soft springy feel to them.  They will tend to be stiff because they have to be to thick to create speed. I think this is what most players think the "balsa feel" is, unfortunately is only a "balsa feel". A thin light core of balsa will play like a limp pillow unless you put some seriously hard outer layers on it.

OuchOuch

Viscaria is balsa cored or not?
That is unknown. Somes say that it is balsa core, somes say no.
Zhang won the world champion with viscaria, if viscaria has balsa core, stop saying pro dont use balsa core.
If not, balsa core is light, soft feeling, not good for BH, but good for FH attack.

batt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 4:36am
Viscaria has a kiri core.
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 9:16am
Interesting thread. I used to use Balsa blades as I liked the light weight. I discovered in time they simply don't make good looping blades. You can visably see the difference in spin compared to more conventional looping blades, even some carbon blades. They also have that terrible "hollow" feel.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
mswishe4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mswishe4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 9:27am
I own and play with a Joola Kool and use Haifu Shark speed yellow sponge. It's the best backhand rubber/blade combo I have ever used, Balsa wood or not. I highly recommend it. 
idubs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 2:32am

I truly enjoy my balsa blade--the touch, speed and control it offers me (I’ve learned to contain the speed).  I’ve been playing with it for almost 7 years now.  I’ve been privileged to hit with hundreds of blade combos as many of the people I play with are ej’s very few combos come close to the speed it offers let alone the balance which is important to me in a blade combo. 

Donic Opticon RS

loops away!!!
stevingreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevingreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 3:00am
I have been heard of Butterfly, DHS, Sword, KOKUTaKU, Stiga. 

Edited by stevingreen - 09/25/2012 at 3:00am
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 3:35am
Originally posted by sidofmillenium sidofmillenium wrote:

So would Joola R1 be fastest, spinniest, and have more control b/c of dwell time?(since its thickest and oversized)
I had a chance to play with IanMcG's R1 for a few minutes.  It was EXTREMELY fast and it had very little feeling. I don't no why Ian has such a thing.

I have a Firewall+ that is also made of thick Balsa.  It isn't as thick as the R1 and for some reason the Firewall+ is MUCH slower.   I like my Firewall+ with T25 on the FH and GD Talon 0X on the BH.  It is my go to paddle.

I have a BTY BC X5 too.  I dont' really like it that much as it isn't the best looping blade.   It works best with pips on the BH.  Just blast away when the ball is above the net.

I think there are both good and bad Balsa blades.  There are many that play with the Firewall+.   I wonder how many play with the BC X5 and I bet few play with the R1.

Edited by pnachtwey - 09/25/2012 at 3:36am
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 9:28am
Viscaria's Balsa blade too no?
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 9:53am
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

no the info Butterfly USA's website states that it has a Koto top ply and Balsa Core.

i can assure everybody that Viscaria has a KIRI core and not BALSA.
not the first mistake i have seen on that website. it states that Mizutani is a 3W+2ZLC when everybody knows that it is a 5W+2ZLC.
as for my opinion on balsa, i find that they do not play as well over time. 
An EJ master i know who uses the DR N Combi Effect replaces his blade every year due to the problem he has with its durability.
i have used balsa core blades and i must say i did not like them at all. The Donic Black Devil is a horrible blade and makes an annoying 'plonk' sound.

Edited by silva7 - 09/25/2012 at 12:10pm
RSM Special Platinum T64
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 10:31am
ahhh.  thx
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

no the info Butterfly USA's website states that it has a Koto top ply and Balsa Core.

i can assure everybody that Viscaria has a KIRI core and not BALSA.

as for my opinion on balsa, i find that they do not play as well over time. 
An EJ master i know who uses the DR N Combi Effect replaces his blade every year due to the problem he has with its durability.
i have used balsa core blades and i must say i did not like them at all. The Donic Black Devil is a horrible blade and makes an annoying 'plonk' sound.

its really a debatable topic, i have a viscaria and it does not look like the core is balsa because its harder than balsa plus balsa blades that ive tried are light blades, my viscaria is 91 grams, yet i know club members that swear its balsa because the feel of balsa for them is very distinct on all balsa blades and claim that the hardness and heaviness of viscaria core maybe due to glueing technique, and it would be very senseless that BTY would say its balsa when its actually not

i dont have any idea what wood is the core of viscaria but in my opinion alone, and i dont speak for others since im no expert in wood, it does not feel and look like balsa. like ive mentioned its debatable
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 11:11am
91g is probably one of the lightest out of all Viscarias. 
I am not 100% certain if vis has a balsa core.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 12:03pm

i saw an 88 gram viscaria ( no joke ) it was a year ago i think, i was buying  rubbers at a TT store and this girl was buying a viscaria and on the electronic scale it reads 88.3 grams upon weighing it
Viscaria

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

i saw an 88 gram viscaria ( no joke ) it was a year ago i think, i was buying  rubbers at a TT store and this girl was buying a viscaria and on the electronic scale it reads 88.3 grams upon weighing it
wow!  please tell me which TT store was that?
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 12:29pm
pingpongonline.com, its a local store in the philippines that ships abroad anyway my brother had me buy a viscaria 3 weeks ago, 2 viscarias were on stock at that time, weights were 90 and 92 grams, he took the 90 grams

on their site they dont have viscaria on the list, but they do sell it believe me, about 2 years ago they have that on the list then they removed it and i was informed by them that viscaria was already faced out, maybe the list is not updated yet

i think its a blade that often gets bought from them because the have not increased the price of viscaria they are selling it at 153 USD other stores here sell it at 180 USD
Viscaria

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 12:41pm
ah  i know the store, owner is mr. lim.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2012 at 12:49pm

ah  i know the store, owner is mr. lim.

wow thats great if you know him, you can maybe ask him if ATM he has a lighter weight viscaria
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic