Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blade Control - A different aspect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Control - A different aspect
    Posted: 07/02/2007 at 11:48pm
As we already know, generally a slower/softer blade would offer a better control and vice versa, a fast blade would have a lower control. Or is it?

What I find is that a harder and supposedly faster blade would offer a different kind of control. That is the control is more proportional to the force applied.

Well this is what I mean: For both the soft and hard blades, for shorter shots, they both offer the same amount of control, no doubt that the harder blade is faster. Which means to say that when you want to play it short they are both ok.

But when a force is applied as when you want to hit harder, I find that the harder blade offer a better control and would produce a shot that is proportional to the force applied.

Not so for the softer blade. I find that the flex in the blade actually magnifies the force applied and produce a shot that you do not want, generally going out of control. Just don't feel proportional to the force applied.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links

gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2007 at 8:21am
Harder blades are not harder to control...it's just harder. It blocks better too.
Softer blades tend to have higher dwell and hence loop better.

In regards to your "smashing" question I think it is the stroke you use. I find pure smashing is  better with harder woods while loop kills against lobs are better done with softer woods.

Further this leads onto the question of what is more effective in a smash, I actually find a more wobbly ball is more effective against lobs than just full on power smash or loop-kill.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
easyfiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyfiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2007 at 4:14pm
I agree about blade hardness offering more control on power shots. I try and do fast drives with my backhand but I have problems with control because of the soft wood. I need to pair it with a harder faster rubber to get more control.
unisonus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unisonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2007 at 5:42pm
I don't think it's that simple. Some woods seem to stiffen when they are accelerated or when the angle of the bat is changed. For instance, my Darker hinoki blade gives plenty of touch and dwell time when I loop, but feels hard when I drive or smash.
Instinct 5ply
RITC 2000 1.8mm
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2007 at 7:10pm
so which one gives more feeling hard blades or soft?
is this true:soft=springy? and less springy=more control?

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2007 at 9:56pm
I tend to agree that soft and springy goes in the same direction, but I am not sure if less springy gives more control.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2007 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by mece mece wrote:

so which one gives more feeling hard blades or soft?
is this true:soft=springy? and less springy=more control?

Definitely a softer blade gives a better feel.

I would think that less springy=less flexy= more control at power shots.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2007 at 11:11pm
Hello,

I just recently found out for myself what you are speaking of.  I usually play more flexible, lighter, and softer feeling blades in all to Off- categories and decided to glue up a rubber I know very well to a very stiff, fast and low control-rated blade.....Donic Persson PowerSPEED (10 speed, 4 control).  The power was definitely there when I needed it and it still offered nice control at lower speeds, just not that flexy, soft and vibrating feel that I'm used to.  A very welcome change which has me considering yet another equipment change!

pongcrazy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic