Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blast from the PAST!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blast from the PAST!!!
    Posted: 10/27/2012 at 3:54am
Hi all,

You guys probably won't believe what my wife found for me last weekend at a local estate sale.  A pre-1979 PaddlePalace catalog, with a bunch of super rare and vintage paddles that any table tennis collectors would die for.  The catalog includes the famous paddles such as: Butterfly Kenny Style, French, American, Swedish, Jonyer, Klampar, Tamaropa, Secretin, and so many many more.  What's even cool is that this catalog even lists out the prices of these blades that would take any collector a huge sum of money to even buy just one.

I bet you don't even know that pre-1979, PaddlePalace was only selling a brand new Butterfly Kenny Style for only $6.95!!!

Here's an example of what's on the catalog just to tease you guys a bit Embarrassed  (there are other paddles including Yasaka, Stiga, Nittaku, Hock, and Harvard brands as well in the catalog)

Blades - ButterflY:
Kenny: $6.95
Swedish: $8.95
Secretin: $8.95
Firehand: $9.95
Jonyer: $14.95
Tamaropa: $20.95

Rubbers - Butterfly:
Tackiness Driver - $10.95
Sriver - $7.95
Tempest - $5.95
Mark V - $8.95
Black Power - $8.95

A gross (12 dozens) of Nittaku 3-star balls - $36.00 or $3.95 a dozen

Butterfly cases - $2.50 - $3.95

This is truly an eye opener for me, definitely a very good surprise from my wife.  She sure has very keen eyes for hidden gems.  I guess my table tennis infatuation has influenced her quite a bit as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103553572837863774394/PaddlePalaceCatalog?authkey=Gv1sRgCPynzqztrOuyngE

Enjoy!
Cong

Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 6:06am
Imagine that! MarkV cost more than Sriver. That is a long time ago.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 9:55am
 I owned a Cypress-P, Cypress-X, Original Power Drive, Secretin, Original Jonyer back in those days. Wish I would have kept them as they are highly regarded as collectors blades today. Cry
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 10:00am
Yeah, I had a Cypress-X back in the late 70s.  It was stolen due to the recreation center's negligence. Cry
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 10:02am
I only kept Dunlop Barna, bty. Cressail and French which im going to update the sheets soon, yes even the Barna :)
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 10:05am
 Tempest is such a cool name for a rubber. BTY had 2 attempts for Tempest, the second version was nothing like the original and was short lived. The original Tempest really wasn't a bad rubber at all but by todays standard would be considered a bit slow. Aaaah...the good old days.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Imagine that! MarkV cost more than Sriver. That is a long time ago.

back then only bty, stiga and yasaka were pretty much it well for me now its like a toy store for TT players all the variety but i still go back to either bty or stiga the rest just gets stored.
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Tempest is such a cool name for a rubber. BTY had 2 attempts for Tempest, the second version was nothing like the original and was short lived. The original Tempest really wasn't a bad rubber at all but by todays standard would be considered a bit slow. Aaaah...the good old days.

Yeah, I believe my Cypress-X had Tempest D-13 rubber on it.  Green on both sides with a nice, bright yellow sponge.  Good old days syndrome for sure...LOL
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 10:44am
 The original BTY Power Drive was the blade of choice for many top players in USA back in the day. Speed glued with Max Sriver or Mark V was heavy as hell but man talk about speed! Ball speed on hard smashes was so fast the ball seemed to disappear! Ya Green D-13 was a hoot, actually the gold Yasaka Tornado was pretty nice looking and classy. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 11:11am
Cool! If you could properly scan all the pages and put them up somewhere - that would be swell! Thanks!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
cje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 12:06pm
Continuing this theme, i found this short Butterfly catalogue in the box of a Secretin
blade I picked up recently.

http://www.murrayfieldtt.com/

YEO/ Galaxy E-3/ FH: Skyline III Neo / BH: Palio HK 1997
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2012 at 1:33pm
 Very kool pics, I might have that catalog somewhere...but it would take a week to find it.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic